Options

ASICS Reading Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    What a brilliant day! I loved every minute. Even the wait in the cold was forgotten in the excitement of meeting the legendry Sir Mick n Phil and all the other forumites who said hello and yes it's true Plodding Hippo doesn't look a bit like a hippo. I think it was me who you saw twice Becks (I wore a green Macmillan vest with RUTH on) and it was great having the supporters shout out my name. The miles flew by chatting with Not So Back Row Plodder and I felt really good all the way and finished in 2.17.30 a PB as its my first HM. Already looking forward to seeing you all at other races and maybe, maybe, next year a whole marathon.
  • Options
    oooooh well done straggle puss-great time
    and what a birthday present!

love form another Ruth
    x
  • Options
    I just managed to sneak onto this race as someone else (very naughty I know). I thought the goody bag was a little odd, the bag itself is quite good, but the contents were strange to say the least.
    I did 1:40:22 chip time, which was a P.B. for me. A p.b. wasn't that suprising as it's only my second half marathon. Quite enjoyed the race, but a week of nights before probbly wasn't the best preparation you could have. My hamstrings started to tighten at about 7 miles and felt locked solid by 9.
    The only trouble is I'm going to have to suffer months of mickey taking from M1 as he did a much faster time last year :-)
  • Options
    TippTop, certainly seem to be a few who started way, way, way.... out of position, noticed one guy who finished in 1:59 who took 4 seconds to cross the line and another just over 2 hours who took 7 seconds to cross the line. I suppose they could have just had a very bad day!
  • Options
    I started just ahead of the sub 1:30 marker (gun finish position 510, chip finish position 506) and had to push at least 10 people out of the way in the first mile, all running slower than 2 hour pace, including 2 people with collection buckets!

I just wonder if these people are blind and deaf, given all the signs and announcements, or just plain stupid.
  • Options
    S Puss

it was lovely meeting you

And yes, Hippo is a lovely person...

As for me and my Phillip, we maybe legends in your eyes, but we could not possibly do what we do without all of you around us

we've done 3 track marathons.. but our first experience at it was humid, and struggled from 18 to 23 miles, but Mrs Ruth Hippo was there with her colleagues to help us

thanks to you all

• Options
    Yeah, a lot of people did start in the wrong places. Damn shame. Ruined a lot of pb's for people. I managed to knock off 6 mins. really surprised as 10 miles into it, my legs almost gave way.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Hi Steve, yes, there is quite a few like that. I think PhilR was getting confused. I assume from his post he reckoned that if your chip time was close to the gun time you can't have been impeded (though I'm only guessing, so apologies if I have misinterpreted Phil).

In reality, it is as you've said, those peeps who have very little difference between their chip and gun times started quite high up, and if they've got a slower time, then they were obviously out of position.

I'm sure there were a few who had genuine hopes of quicker times and had a bad day, but when you're standing sub 1:30 and there's fancy dress runners around you, you do start to wonder.

Still there's a simple solution, I'll just have to be quick enough next year to go (legitimately) significantly further up the field ;-)))
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    TMW - good point. Surely people there to collect would have more time/opportunity to collect when the field has thinned out a bit?

We must have started and finished quite close together then - I was gun position 454, chip 465.
  • Options
    Maybe some people consider their starting postions like this:

If you start at say the sub-1h30 point, you've got say 10m to the start line.

If you start at the 2h+ point, you've got 2-300 metres to the start line.

Therefore by starting near the front, you're running less distance than starting at the back.
  • Options
    surely not Scott?!
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    not actually true Scott - I was at the back, and there was no room to run until just before the start line. We heard the cheerful news that the leaders had passed mile 1 while we were still standing still.

• Options
    I think there must have been a lot of first time half marathoners, or maybe even just first time any type of race runners, who just wanted a good starting place. So you probably had a lot of people who never even question whether they were in the right place or not. Its probably a case of, here's a place, I'll stand here.
  • Options
    I agree, is crazy some people should not have been up the 1.30-1.40 mark. I am no meens a runner but when I started at 1.50 mark. I no way thought I would have to push my way past 8 miles of people to hit a decent pace. was dangerous. but as it was my first run I just went along with it. next time I will deff start 1.30 pace.
    was a good day though.x
  • Options
    hurrah! I survived! Bang on 2.15 as well
  • Options
    I almost gave up trying to run a personal best as i had to run past quite a few slow people to get into a decent running stride. In the end beat it by 6 minutes. But in future I think I'll take the Reading half a bit easier. There are other races where there isn't the traffic log as much as this one. Could have hurt myself or even fallen over as I saw someone near the first lucozade stand trip on a packet. Overall enjoyed the experience.
  • Options
    I stood on a lucozade packet someone had helpfully left in the middle of the road. I ended up with a sticky crotch. Humph
  • Options
    Ah, Stragglepuss, it was you! Sorry, I wasn't sure what your forum name was. Well done on your time. I could tell you'd be faster than me but I've decided to train in earnest for a half marathon next year (and a half only, not a marathon as well) and see if I can maybe knock a bit more than a minute off my PB :-)
  • Options
    the back of the race was no were near the start line whan they announced leaders at 2 miles

we were right by Stickless when it was said

When they said leaders at 1 mile, we had NOT moved an inch !!
  • Options
    Isn't it possible with something like this to corale people? i.e. have the different timing groups and then stagger each group's start by say 30 secs?
  • Options
    Hello all, hope you had a fab race yesterday and well done to all :-)

i managed to knoch 6 mins off my time last year so am sooo chuffed to bits :-)
  • Options
    They definitely got my time wrong. It was my first half marathon and I completed it in 1hr 48 minutes but they had me down as 1 hour 58 minutes for the chip time.

I crossed the line at 1hr 58 on the big clock it took me 10 minutes to get to the start line.

Do you know if anyone else has ever hadthis problem?
  • Options
    My first HM and finished in 2hr52. The last 3 miles were a killer for me and soul destroying when the stadium was in sight and then had to go up and down lightwater Ave again.

Missed the warm up due to the baggage delay but enjoyed the day and I will do another HM this year. Now I know what it is like I can up my training and get in some more long runs.

Great support (even from the Pub offering free beer!!!!)
  • Options
    TMW please remember that the 2 people with collection buckets, might have been Reading Roadrunners who were giving up their time to raise money for a good cause and might have been unable to get anywhere near the correct positions they would have liked to have been due to the chaos at the beginning due to baggage.
    I know that I passed 3 of my fellow club runners who were collecting and they were on the side of the road being very sensible and not getting in anyones way.
  • Options
    Andrew - that bloody dual carriageway nearly finished me off. As I got onto it the sun came out and baked the crap out of me. The damn water wasn't til right at the end as well!! Which I promptly drank too much of too quickly. Luckily I wound up running next to a guy I was standing next to at the start, he'd pulled a muscle, so we managed to stagger the last mile together.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Scott, the problem with that is how do you divide people up? I know they do it at FLM, but have no idea on what basis they split people up and put them in the separate sections......
  • Options
    TT it is done on the time you put down on the entry form, even so people still sneak in to the wrong pens as the level of staff is not enough to stop it happening.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Ah, right. Don't know why you'd sneak into the wrong pen rather than just putting down a different time on the form though.....

Would Reading be a big enough race for something like that? I imagine it'd take quite a bit of organising to get everybody in their proper places on time........ and the idea of pens might put some people off...
  • Options
    Was our (girlfriend and I) first 1/2M and we both loved it! We were really worried that we hadn't trained enough and wouldn't make it round. Took it nice and steady and enjoyed the event. Although I have nothing to compare it to, aside from the baggage c*ck up, I thought it was great!! :-)

Now, just need to find my next event...
  • Options
    FLM has the same issues as reading with people starting in unrealistic places
    For races of that size it is always going to be an issue
    i started right at the back and overtook people all the way thought the race, many walking-who clearly started a long time ahead of me but werer slower than i was
    i think its just one of those big race things really

Baa-well done, top time

yes, the carriageway is horible isnt it, and this year we didnt have the music at the garage