Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    I don't use a Garmin (Timex), and I pace myself by the km markers. But after the race it's interesting to see how long the course measured. Normally of course they measure a bit long, occasionally a bit short. I remember thinking that this one was surprisingly long.

What I meant about Dorney was that for perceived effort and feel, I thought I'd end up a bit quicker especially on a flat course. The most likely candidate was the rain, although on the day I thought it was a help rather than a hindrance.

Given that FLM don't allow their use, I'm not a big fan of Pugometers!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Jools

what about Yateley 3 ?? or Midhurst

closer and cheaper
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    ok matt, let you off as you explained yourself so well
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice Report Dull – see you at Cardiff (2008).

Jools

I’m old (school), I’m a pumps and vest and a bit of sweat Dude.

Someone gave me a HRM for my recent B/day – it sat in the box for 6 weeks before I thought I may as well try it out.
    I still prefer to run commando though !

I have one course that I know the approximate miles of, that I have measured with bike computer and map my run, plus my measured mile on the local prom.

Other than that I just guess-timate distances.

But, I very much run (as best as I can) to a Tergat pace during races. But that has to be approximated in terms of effort until I get to the first distance marker.

Go to Midhurst Jools !!

I'm hoping to make that one. On my current fitness levels we should be evenly matched.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Main problem is that I don't drive - Yateley isn't that close to Bristol from memory... nor Midhurst

Coupled with the fact that my other extremely fashionable hobby <cough> is playing the violin and I have several evening/weekend rehearsals coming up which rather restricts when I can race.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    TR,

Evenly matched: hmm, we'd have to agree to disagree. Given that you knock out 10-milers far faster than me and you won't have lost that much fitness I think you're hedging your bets a little too much, no?

Previous post was addressed to Gobi but there seems to be a frenzy of posting at the moment!
  • Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    Jools - I agree about Garmin usage during races (but not because of the weight). I made the mistake of using my 205 during FLM; I had it set to show my current pace (with the aim of keeping it as close to 6:16 m/m as possible). This is fine so long as you run on the blue line, but once you are in a race with 35,000 people (even if you are in the first few hundred) this is hard to do. So you end up running perfect pace according to the Garmin, but it starts ticking over the miles progressively further and further from the official markers (you also spend more time looking at it than concentrating on the running). I was trying to do the maths (something that gets progressively harder and you get more tired), using my 2:45 wrist band and continuously correcting for the ever growing error. It would have been much better just to use a regular watch and pressed the lap button as you pass each marker - I won't make this mistake again.

I now only really use my Garmin when either running a new route or when on a tempo or LSR run when I like to know my mile splits. Otherwise I just use my SD400 Polar HRM.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools

Never mind.

You're righty I guess. I will still try for a PB at Midhurst on limited training.

We'll meet up (with Gobi too) at GSR.

That's if the Great Run people don't forget me again - and then send me a number for the last wave. Telling me I can't go in the first wave that's for the elites.
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    I only used my watch for FLM, left the GPS part at home on purpose (because I knew it wouldn't work all the way round anyway).

But I did use a pace-band I picked up at the Expo (lucozade) to avoid having to do any complex maths. And all the way round I was sure my pace-band said I was 2-3 mins ahead of my schedule, only to lose all that time at the end. I threw the thing away afterwards, but when I looked at my splits in the cold light of day I was never more than 30 seconds up on my sub-3:15 goal.

Never trust anything!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Jools, a garmin must nearly double your body weight, no? :-)

There's also the oracle 2 oracle in Reading, 2nd Sept. Bit winding, but flat (bar the switchback bridge).

Re: the 400s, I love that session. Coach asked me at the end how I found it, and when I said 'Fun' he looked at me a little strangely :-))
    A few weeks back (first time I ran it), I was doing 83-84s, so yesterday was nice, plus I reckon I could have eeked out an extra second or two on each of the reps, but I was trying to pace it evenly at 80s (which, according to our sheets is consistent with a 35:30 10k).

Cheers for the tip coronium. I tend to follow whatever is mapped out by the coach, so next week will be 4 x mile reps w 90s recoveries (I should be aiming for about 5:28 on those). The next week though that there's no coach and we're left to our own devices, I'll try your 12x500 workout ;-)
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Nice write up Dull. Will you do it again?
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Dull - Good report, Triumph at Torshavn more like, looks like you did really well in the second half, despite the cramps. Matter of time for sub 3 now, flat course, cool conditions the cramp-fairy and your there. Having a greying moment, what was the obvious connection with work - are they so rich they've bought the Faroes?
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    TippTop,

Am vaguely considering 020 10k as my parents live in Reading. It starts nr. Caversham Bridge? King's Meadow or something? It is the week before Bristol though, so I couldn't really bin the long run two weeks in a row. Might enter and use it as a MP middle section in a LSR but my previous form for doing races steady as part of a training run is poor and I don't want to mash my legs too much - the HM PB matters more psychologically (to me) in a marathon build up than a 10K PB does.

Dull,

It is a very good write-up. I like the idea of a two-horse race for 1st lesser spotted, as well!
  • Options
    You go away for a couple of weeks and everything has changed! (apart from Dull's sub 3)

Great report Dull - does this mean you are now free to be part of a 3 man team for Mablethorpe?? You know the area and you have 8 weeks to recover!!

Not much to report here; banging out the 85/ 90 mile weeks with 3/4 hard sessions and long runs of 22 miles, which seem worryingly comfortable!!

I am doing the Dartford half on Sunday, more to test out my Reebok Paris Racers, as I am not sure I could do a marathon in the mayfly's. Even though I am fitter than when I did my PB of 1.20.32 last September I don't think I will be able to better it on an undulating course.

PUG - Did you manage to get into the Lake Vyrnwy half; apparently it was full months ago?
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    It actually starts from Thames Valley Park Jools. It's at the end of my first taper week and 2 weeks before NF, so I'll be able to give it a good go. If Bristol is your main aim of the two you're prob best to give it a miss though.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Hmm, suppose I could run along the Thames but it would definitely turn it into a proper long run - parents' house is in west Reading! Might enter and make a late decision.
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Jools,

What about Castle Coombe 10k on 5th August? Close to Bristol (train to Chippenham) and apparently a good PB course.
  • Options
    Jools

Friday pm ran 30 mins flew in pm
    Saturday am ran 6k as a test
    Sunday pm ran marathon
    Monday am flew back
    Tuesday another rest day
    Wed 6 miles
    Thurs lunchtime 8 miles

I hope that clarifies your blonde moment.

TR If Cardiff is on in 2008, I'm 90% certain to be there.

Padams The gaps didn't bother me. The fear of those behind catching me kept me going, especially knowing one was a Brit.

OO I work for an oil exploration company. We have had several large discoveries West of Shetlands close to the border with the Faroe Islands, and we think the oil deposits extend over to their side. We even operate a licence in the Faroes which we were given about 10 months ago.

Three of our staff had already been out to Torshavn, and I managed to get enough spare Krone off them to fund my beer money when I was over there.

Although, many on here, and at my running club for that matter will be underwhelmed by my performance, here at work, those that have been there and know the course, are well chuffed by my showing. They've yet to see the photo of me receiving my gold medal wearing the company logo.
    on my T shirt.
    Should go down well in the board room at head office, when that hits the marathon website.

OOOn another subject, I'm thinking of switching my Autumn marathon to Dartmoor Vale Newton Abbot rather than Leicester. I've heard the course isn't too bad. As it's in your neck of the woods
    can you confirm that it will not be Torshavn 2

NDOW[ Mabelthorpe would be a great course, but early Sept would be too risky from a weather point of view. As you can see a above still checking out venues, but I think October is the best month for an Autumn marathon
  • Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    MtR - "good PB course", it must be around the race track, as I've stayed (and run) in Castle Coombe and it is surrounded by lots and lots of steep hills (the only time I've ever had to stop running up a hill on road was there). As an aside, I seem to remember that the hotel was one of the best I've ever stayed at. I recently tried to stay there again through work, but they wanted £470 per night, so it was off to the Bath Hilton for me!!
  • Options
    Dull - it will probably be snowing by September. Perfect conditions for you.

I was pondering over my lunchtime stroll that perhaps a higher component of 3 - 10km pace in your final 2 months will help condition your muscles to avoid the cramp. It may be at the expense of mileage though, but these can be done in the base phase 6 - 2 months before your marathon, although it sounds like you have enough endurance to get away with 2 months of higher intensity training anyway. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Afternoon Folks.

Just got back from the PSUK athletics champs.

Managed 17.55 for the 5k which was a pb by 1m18seconds so am well chuffed given that I have done no speedwork to speak of and just been running about 40m a week since Windermere and all very easy.

That got me 10th place and was a reasonably strong field with the winner being a new Met lad who ran 15m22. I'm sure JEJ will have raced against him but I can't remember his surname Peter ...

Race ended up being a bit of a time trial as I wasn't quick enough to stay with a group of 6 and got isolated early.

Only real thing to come out of it was my max hr in the home straight hit 205 which is higher than the 203 I saw 12 yrs ago!

Have to re-adjust my zones a little bit. All in all a good couple of days away but Blackpool is an absolute toilet.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Dull - Dartmoor Vale: I am running this for the 1st time in Oct. It will be great to see you down Devon way (Crab I think enjoyed his visit last time 'F***ing minging if I remember, on his way to IM success)

It is undulating but doesn't sound like Torshavn 2, but and your heart might sink at this point, a bit of pre-analysis indicates compared to a normal 'FLM' its worth +3 minutes. Not the biggest field.

BUT as I am aiming for a small sub 3 for this race, 2:59 will do, would be happy to keep you company around the course and run it with you. It worked for Gobi/ Dan A in Cardiff ;-)

Nor the biggest marathon so so probably running on your own for a large part of it. My recommendation to icnrease your chances of sub 3 run Leicester.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    5 August is no can do, Matt, but thanks for the suggestion! Looks like 10K PB chasing will have to wait.
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Coronium: It is indeed on the race track - Castle Combe and surrounding area is very hilly and scenic - a favourite picnic spot of mine when down in Bristol visiting family.

PS. However the race track is (from my memory having been there once 25 years ago for motorbike racing) not very scenic!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Dull,

Well, that's put my mind at rest. Comes of reading too fast, I'm sure.

Right, time to stop inflating my post count and do some work.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Dull - Dartmoor Vale: I am running this for the 1st time in Oct. It will be great to see you down Devon way (Crab I think enjoyed his visit last time 'F***ing minging if I remember, on his way to IM success)

It is undulating but doesn't sound like Torshavn 2, but and your heart might sink at this point, a bit of pre-analysis indicates compared to a normal 'FLM' its worth +3 minutes. Not the biggest field.

BUT as I am aiming for a small sub 3 for this race, 2:59 will do, would be happy to keep you company around the course and run it with you. It worked for Gobi/ Dan A in Cardiff ;-)

New Recommendation: Either Leicester or run around Devon with 3 times sub 3er OO.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dull
    It’s a bit early for 2008 fixtures, but I’d like to do Cardiff. I’ve my eye on another couple of “little” fixtures for next year already.

OdeGood work, I hoped you’d do sub 18.

The comment about Blackpool worries me. I’m spending a few weeks off-site up that way in the Autumn. I will take my trainers and Speedo’s. Not sure if I can pack my bike too yet.

• Options
    Ode - Tucker? Little chap - I race him often - we had a long chat in the middle of our last league 5km (neither of us were trying) - he's shooting for sub 15, having run 15:06 last month.
  • Options
    JEJ Was thinking about slinging in more hills sessions to build up the calf muscles to avoid cramp, but it's the quads that scare me now more than
    my calves. Will heed your advice and try to chip in faster stuff especially 10k races.

OO A very kind offer from you to act as pace maker. It is interesting that the only time I had one, I got a PB despite my cramp. It was at Abingdon 06
    The crucial point came when I told him to push on ahead when my pain became unbearable and I'd dropped to 8 minute miles. To his credit he refused to leave me, and after several torrid miles
    the legs recovered, and I started running down those that had past me during my bad patch. But by then the Sub 3 had gone.

Should the same thing happen in Oct, just leave me. There is no point in ruining your own race because I cannot keep up with you.

Just so you know, the reason I'm changing from Leicester is because it's half term weekend, and I can fit in the race with a weeks holiday with the rest of the Dull clan after the race.

Ode Magic time there. Plug that one into MacMillan and see what marathon prediction you get!