Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Fair enough TT; right then, I'm off for a bowl of Tyrannosaurus soup, and a bit of Pterodactyl on toast.

Leave on Wednesday for a bit of acclimatization; race starts on Friday evening, and finishes either on Saturday or Sunday, depending on how good you are.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    I know TR, I just get annoyed when it's something like stomach cramps that ruin a race.

One more positive for me. I just realised that my average pace yesterday was 8s per mile quicker than a 10k I ran in April.....

PP - congrats!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Great race, PhilPub.

Off to find some pre-historic vegetation for lunch.
  • Options
    Hey PPI big congrats on your pb from a 'lesser spotted (F)'! (I used to post on this site eons ago).

I was heavily involved with the organisation of the race you did on Saturday, the London Pride 10k Run, and very pleased that you enjoyed the race. Victoria Park is indeed a fast course.

Do you have any comments that would help us improve the race for next year?
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    PP, impressively well paced sir :¬)

Good luck DanA
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Many thanks all. Aitch - congrats on the organisation, it really was excellent. Short of suggesting adding smoked salmon to the cream cheese in the post-race bagels I honestly can't think of any obvious improvements that could've been made. :) As I suggested elsewhere, it seems having a big company name sponsor must really help, so I guess that's a relationship you'll be keen to maintain. See you next year, I should think!
  • Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the encouragement everone. Time will tell whether I need encouragement or reigning back. Both achilles feel pretty darn good this morning. Not 100%, but better than they have done for a few weeks. Maybe (just maybe) any remaining discomfort really is just scar tissue. Hope so. Time to throw a bit more money the way of the physio and get some ultrasound. Quads are feeling full-on DOMS this morning - which actually puts a big smile on my face. Lactic burn, muscular tiredness and DOMS feels great compared with sore tendons.

CM - although my 10K time suggests otherwise, I think the cycling has help me maintain fitness. Of the 7-8 minutes I've gained, I'm pretty certain that 3-4 are down to me becoming a fat bar steward and would guess that a twisty course and initial congestion (I started at the back) probably cost another minute. So I've probably only lost 2-3 minutes due to lack of running fitness / speed. And that's not really too bad. The other bonus has been that I have rediscovered cycling - something that I intend to continue with after I pick the running back up again.

Blisters - was Gadget woman's bum worth the pain in the second half?

Do2 - achilles tendons suck the big one.

PP - congrats. Sub-80 is definitely a realistic target given that time.
  • Options
    TR. Not gloating...have been out of circulation for a while. Was ill for a week then on hols for 2. Never mind a day being a long time in politics...3 weeks away from here is an eternity in terms of number of posts.

...but yes my mate did do well. 10:04:xx. Rounded it all off with a 3:18 run. Sounds like the course was prett tough. He mentioned something like 2000ft of climbing ont he run.

My training is mixed. Near on 2 weeks of nothing due to illness (one week off work and first week of hols) and things have been conspiring against me. I've still not shaken whatever it was I had off fully...still got cold like symptoms. Don't feel up to running at all but funnily enough feel fine on the bike. keep things ticking over and desperately need to get some long runs in as soon as I am 100% recovered.
  • Options
    Afternoon - It seems a part time job is the only way to keep up to date with all the posts on this thread!

Nothing much to report but don't want to be accused of being a bench warmer! My hip niggle lasted for only a couple of days so I have managed to keep to my schedule for the Mablethorpe marathon on 16th September. Did 22.65 miles (according to my 305) at 7.10 for 75% HR along a very windy North Wales coast yesterday and have one more week before the taper.

I have been toying with the idea of carbo loading this time but slightly nervous about it. Has anyone any experience of this and did it help?

Cheers
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Fair enough TT; right then, I'm off for a bowl of Tyrannosaurus soup, and a bit of Pterodactyl on toast.

Leave on Wednesday for a bit of acclimatization; race starts on Friday evening, and finishes either on Saturday or Sunday, depending on how good you are.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Dreaded refresh DanA? I guess the question is, when are you expecting to finish?

I'd prefer a bronto burger myself (didn't they used to have those in the Flintstones?).

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    wtf?  I didn't do that.  I've been skiving off reading the sports pages.  Really don't know how long the UTMB race will take.  If I still did spread betting, I'd place the spread at 27-29 hours.  But dozens of factors will come into play (weather/terrain/injury/distance).  Biggest decision I've got to make is whether to take hiking poles.  90%+ of runners will, but I think they are cheating, and prefer to do it the hard way.
  • Options

DANA- I'll buy 29@£5 a point image

• Options

This sight is becoming a bit like facebook now with all the crap on it.

Thought I'd just add my favourite movie:

NOt the same......

Well done Jools by the way.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

I think if 90%+ are taking them DanA and it's obviously within the rules then you'd be costing yourself by not taking some as well........

I do know what you mean though, but if it's allowed and gives you an advantage then why not? At the end of the day it's more akin to the idea of wearing or not wearing trainers for a race than the idea of pumping yourself full of illicit substances...

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭

I with you Dan

Poles are for walkers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

Any danger we could stick to text?  I mean FFS not as if we don't deviate enough at times is it? (Nothing to do with me ever of course.)

Do7 Knew you'd stick your beak in at some point.  Let me know where you want it to go and I'll do the necessary.  Must pick my mates and more importantly metaphorcial horses a bit more carefully in future. 

Dull Did I see Neil at IMUK yesterday?  Looked like the guy who mucked up your Abo sub3 attempt from the photos you posted.

As you were.

• Options

Njord

Gadget woman's backside kept me enthused for well over an hour and a half whilst it was within reach (so to speak), and mildly entertained from the memory of the event for a reasonable portion of the remainder of the course. The exceptions being when the other lycra clad glutes placed themselves on display.

Excepting of course, the part when I was so bored that I fell asleep whilst running.

• Options

Crikey that 10miles knocked another skin of the rice pudding.  Real hold onto your syrups stuff.  Covered up the watch and went with the flow turned into a bit of a NADfest - must remember not to wear the gussetless footie shorts in future on such excursions.  I won't post the stats cos I don't wanna intimidate Kareem Abdul-padams ahead of Berlin ;o)

Good to see the return of the original lesser spotted. 

As you were.

Can't understand why that bloke wondered WTF this was all about?

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Nice running CRAB, done a bit myself today.

Bit of a pedal, 1 mile swum at lunch and just bagged 8.5

Started off at 6m45 per upped the anti each mile until the 5th was a 6min/mile, and then did a steady 3.5 back round the shore path.

Running faster was a bit of a shock to the system. but I fair enjoyed it.

Knee ached a bit and so did the calf, but I'm getting used to that now. 

Carlito

I'm putting that towards a sub 3.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Aitch,

Stay around - maybe if there's two of us lesser spotteds...  Well, at least there'd be someone for me to have internet chats with about bloke-spotting!  (As you were with the glute spotting, boys)

TR,

Bottom of the class for "knee ached a bit and so did the calf, but I'm getting used to that now".  Pain is there for a reason: to tell you things are not good.  Back off, for Pete's sake.

TippTop,

BB pics are up - I didn't notice the photographer at the bottom of the steep decent (which they helpfully sign-posted) - I look like I'm about to fall over in the 'action shot'.  Classy.  Might be one for the bathroom wall!  Hope you've stopped beating yourself up about the result by now...

For Carlito's sake: 6 miles recovery done and dusted followed by a proper stretching session.  Skipped yesterday's and could so feel it this morning.

• Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭

TR, agree with JoolsB (except I'd give a yellow card !), top tip for injury free consistent running.. if you have a niggle/pain slow down until it goes away...

13.5 mile for me today, more small crumbs of improvment. At this rate I'll be officially allowed to post again here in a couple months....

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

CM/Jools

Point taken, it didn't ache much for the first couple of easy weeks.

• Options

Pleased to report that I do at least ache in a few places.

Any tips on taking sub 3 MP from the 15 mile point to the end of 26? Or as HLC would attest, the end of 26.2?

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

CM/Jools

But in my defence, that was the first bit of faster running. And my knee was improving nicely until I stared running up and down the Col De Portsdown Hill last week.

But I will reign it in a bit.

Jools 

I don't mind discussing a bit of Glute spotting !

Att he risk of starting an avalanche of posts, what's your top 3 ?

• Options

Good racing and running in general from people this weekend then, well done on the p.b's people.

Nice 10 mile run (Essex relay practice) on Sunday atlhough not on the actual course!

New shoe first run tonight, fast 5 miler in Nike Pegasus T/C's! Fantastic!

Anyone racing at Barking park on the 27th?

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭

TR, BACK DOWN BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blisters, easy, pace self and run fast :&notimage

13 miles done today and no issues at all. I need food and sleep but the body has been great after yesterday.

Aitch, stay around we need you lesser spotteds to keep us in line

Or not :&notimage

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    bugger these graphics I was only doing my usual text smilie face : ¬ )
  • Options

Hail Hail

Call this progress?  Pah!

TR - whoa there boy!  You want to go back on the bench or what?  But good pace nonetheless.

Phil - cracking 10k time.  Major congrats.