Options

Bupa Great North Run 2007

Comments

• Options
    im off out been  suckered in to going to bingo how fun
  • Options

Evening folks image

Just in from my very easy club session after last nights efforts. 

Welcome to the thread Claire & Fester!   I'm doing kielder 10k too - I think it's been described as undulating, for which read blomin hilly image

For anyone who's interested - I just got the hellhole 10k emailed to me....sounds canny image

• Options

Good evening everyone.

Just got in from a 12 1/2 miler found it pretty darn hard.  Looking forward to the blanket show tonight and rest day planned for tomorrow image

Vicki what did you's do at running club tonight?  With a race name of hellhole I think I shall be giving that a wide birth image

Welcome Claire and Fester. image

Have fun a bingo Patricia.....two little ducks......22 or is it zweiundzwanzig? image

• Options

oeps

should I be training?

and should I have my number?

am mid divorce and so a bit chaotic

• Options

LOL at Hellhole 10k, shame I'll be down here in Nottingham image

Well done you lot for the 10k last night, lots of prizes!! It sounds like a fun course.

Weight training for me tonight, my legs are gonna hurt tomorrow!

• Options

flr - Yes, you should be training. No, you shouldn't have your number yet.

I hope.

• Options

Hi everyone

Just to clarify:  this evening's club session was a very 'easy' recovery run for Vicki and K-Runner and an 'absolutely knackering' one for me, as I had to run it at last night's race pace just to keep them in my sights, lol.  It didn't last long though, which was good.  And it did introduce me to an area I didn't even realise existed, even though it's right on my doorstep.  Might start running there when I'm out by myself.

Vicki - I was looking at that Hellhole run as well (what's gotten into me?)  Is it before or after the Great Cumbrian Run?

• Options
    how many weeks off is it (is too idle to look)?
  • Options

5?

so if I get 8 miles out on Friday that'll do me?

• Options

as a base I mean

really has been marital chaos all summer

but my last half was only start of June (Blackpool)

• Options

Hi flr

thoughts with you

how are th ekids?

• Options

5 weeks 5 days to GNR

plenty of time image

• Options

Flabby - 'that's Number Wang!'

Well done on the 12.5 miler though.  I'd be impressed by that anyway, but after a 10k race?  That's brilliant.  I felt fine today until I started running tonight and my legs started to rebel, and that was just a couple of miles.

Rest day tomorrow for me.

• Options
    how did you get on in Blackpool?
  • Options

well we did it (Bobbis and I)

was probably a PW but given all the $hit going down I was happy to do it

The kids aren't too bad - Teen A was very angry but has calmed hugely

Kid B is apparently very wobbly when she's with her dad but is lovely when she's with me and on the one occasion she's been allowed to see Bobbis

sorry I feel I have thread napped

but we are staying in Newcastle so will be very keen to meet up while we wait for transport to resume but will not finish inside 2 hours 30 mins

• Options
    Question for those of you in clubs up north. Are there such things as County Championship races up there? Despite being from Newcastle I couldn't tell you what county it's in - Mum says it isn't in one, in which case how could there be a county champs? Anyway, I've run the Nottinghamshire 10k and 10 mile championship races and found them rather full of good runners. I ran the South Yorkshire 10 Mile championships and would have won, if only I'd qualified - you have to live in, or have been born in the county. So, I was wondering what my chances would be in a Newcastle-shire image county champs race. No doubt as slim as they are down here. Must move to South Yorkshire!
  • Options

No need to apologise, flr

Is Bobbis doing GNR again? I'll be at the start of the run (I'm not doing it this year) would be great to see you there.

Where in the city are you staying?

Is Newcastle in a county?

Good question CC2 - It is now part of Tyne & Wear - since the boundaries were redrawn by some idiot on April Fool's Day, 1974, thus putting us in the same county as Sunderland !!

Before that, Newcastle was technically a county in it's own right, due to a charter bestowed by King Richard II in 1400 - thus Newcastle had its own sheriff, (Though I don't think it was called Newcastleshire - and it defintely did not have meieval X-country races)

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/lmhistory

• Options

just had a very brief catch up, and one thing stood out like a beacon....shielsy the prize winner, well done girl.

these new button things look fun too, off racing tomorrow, horse variety that is, so prob back to help boost the numbers on thursday image

• Options

Morning Campers image

Legs are still sore from Monday night, but I'm gonna go for my usual Wednesday night run to try and loosen them up a bit.

FB1 - session last night was on the slagheap (a nice park where there used to be a slagheap) - 3 big loops (about 1200m i think) was supposed to be 4, but by the time we got to 3 everyone was knackered.

CC2 - Newcastle was in Northumberland before '74, along with all the towns north of the river.  Everything south of the river was in County Durham.  If you walk through the pedestrian tunnel (Jarrow to Howden) you can see the old county border on the wall.   Your mum is wrong - Newcastle is in a county as XL says, along with North Tyneside, South Tyneside, Gateshead and Sunderland map  What's a bit weird is Durham has its own police force, but Northumbria police cover Tyne & Wear as well as Northumberland, but Northumbria Water covers Durham as well.

We do have a county championship for cross country, but it's called the North Eastern Counties, and encompasses Tyne & Wear, Northumberland and Durham.  The NE track league covers everything from the Borders down to Richmond.

It's all pretty confusing I guess if you live on the edge of the area - but here's a list of clubs classed as being in the NE

Welcome to the thread flr

Best dash off and get dressed for work

toodles image 

• Options

thanks for the welcome mandie No its my 5th GNR I did 2.13 last year but I was fit as I was training for my first marathon in Dublin.  My knee went on the hill down to the sea front at shields and the 5 mile I did yesterday is the furthest I have managed since.  Realistically I hope for 2.30 but if not just for the knee to hold out and to finnish.

• Options

Fester - Redwell lane is a bit of a killer to run down, especially after the long climb up from the nook.  Just as well they have the hay bales at the bottom image  Hope the knee holds out for Kielder - it's meant to be very lumpy.

RE: Northumberland - here's a bit more on when the borders changed

• Options

Morning all

Walking round the office like a weirdo this morning after the last two nights efforts image Glad it's a rest day today (said that last week but still went out for a run but going to try to make sure it don't happent again, naught flabby1)

Patricia - How was B I N G O, B I N G O, B I N G O and B I N G O was his name oh....image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obi-Wan_Kenobi

• Options

Good morning everyone. Am impressed and concerned at how many of you seem to belong to running clubs. Know it's supposed to be a good idea, but don't you end up just feeling bad about yourself when all the elite athletes in the club disappear over the horizon while you plod along behind? Am training for the FLM next year and know I'll need to find a club soon. It's just hard to find time in the week (don't get home till 7pm, and most of the local clubs seem to set off at that time). A

Any advice?

• Options

Morning FB1 & Claire,

There's deffo a good mix of abilities in our club and no 'elite' athletes.  No-one ever gets left behind in our group during a training session - we use laps or routes where everyone starts and finishes together.  Race's are a different matter with regards to people running off into the distance, but generally everyone hangs about at the finish to cheer their club mates on.

Not sure about if you'll find a club to suit your schedule but it really is worth having a look.  Some clubs run on weekends too if thats more use to you.

• Options

FLABBY1  i won  at bingo  200euros  so not bad  but was a late night 

ankel  feeling good iced it every few hr yesterday for 30 min at a time what a killer but feels great  so i dont know what  happend why it was hurting  speed work to night still going to take it easy and just see how the foot feels tonight  and will keep icing today still jst to make sure and start the heat  on it i do rermber some stuff from collge  even if it was over 6 yr ago lol 

i hope every one has a great day we have rain and in some place it was flooding lastnight

• Options
    file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Matthew.MATTHEW-UDN4SVI/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Adobe/Digital%20Camera%20Photos/2006-11-29-2150-26/Image009%20(1).jpg

i hope it works pic of  my boy