Options

Weight loss

Comments

• Options

That is interesting, what weight are you now if I may be rude enough to ask and what height? Are you muscle building at the gym cos thats obviously heavier? Also do you have a shortish run that you do fast and how do your times compare are you slower now? Have you thought about losing certain food groups? You may already do that?

steveimage

• Options
    Does anyone know how you work out how many calories per day you should be eating?  From your resting heart rate how do you then calculate the calories?  Thanks.
  • Options

Try the below link it was almost spot on with the same result as the test I had done a few months ago by a medical firm through work, it says 1780 for me the test was 1810

www.amritraj.net/resting.ivnu

• Options
    Thanks Roadrunner - mine works out at 1350.  :~)
  • Options

5ft 4 and 60kg, went down to about 48kg pre FLM 2006

i am only just getting back into running have built up over last 4 weeks and now on 3 x 30mins per week

i havent tried cutting out food groups as i didnt eat any CHO before apart from breakfast and don;t want to return down that route. i eat very healthily no cakes, sweets, choc , crisps, etc or refined CHO, rarely eat CHO in evening meal, although will start to as running gets back to normal mileage of 40-50 mpw. also as a pe teacher i need to keep energy up.

• Options
    Laura get your resting met rate from the above site first
  • Options

Hi,

Can i add my comments. The first thing i would say is don't try to lose weight , i never do that maybe because i don't need to. But i have lost weight in the past by running. One of the first comments on this forum, back in 2003 i know but it struck home to me was a comment about low blood sugar and running out of energy in a run. I used to have this problem, so much so that i needed to eat before a run(even 10 mins before) for fear i wouldn't get back. I solved this by dropping the % of carbs in the diet, i did this by adding Fish into the diet- before this i mostly ate rice and vegetables. It has helped me lose that problem and helped me lose some weight as now i don't have to eat before a run.

So to summarise, drop the amount of carbs in the diet and eat some fish, chicken or some kind of protein. I don't know why it works but it did for me!  And then after a while you won't have to eat before running. Always have something after and oh yes, nearly forgot run fast, not slow! And don't try to lose weight whatever you do, enjoy running and let the weight look after itself.

• Options

Thanks very much for all your comments, very interesting.  By the way, that 5½lb I'd managed to put on in one week had gone by the time of my weigh in the next week.  In fact, the very next morning I went to Boots and weighed myself again and 4lb of it had dropped straight back off - very odd.

I've had a look at the web site Roadrunner suggested and worked out my resting metabolic rate and also how many calories I need to take on board depending on the level of exercise I do so I am going to keep an eye on that and see how I get on.  Will keep you posted.

Little Laura - what's CHO?

• Options
    carbohydrate, a level biology has stuck with me!
  • Options
    Thought that was it - just checking!
  • Options

Interesting thread. I have lost 150 pounds since July 2005. I only started running last october when I weighed around 11 stone and have lost a further 17 pounds since. I started running as my main goal was to improve fitness so that extra weight loss was a real bonus. My weight now fluctuates between 10 stone 7- 10 stone 10 and I cannot seem to break that plateau of 10 stone 7. I have made some unwise choices with my eating habits (i.e loads of junk!) but have addressed that now and feel healthier than ever. I try to eat little and often and this really seems to work. Could anyone recommend a weight programme I could adopt that would help me with my running and fitness generally? I am lacking in upper body strength, but train my core daily.

Thanks image

• Options

this isnt specific to running but i love doing body pump have you heard of it? its an hour long weights class which works through all the major muscle groups:

warm up, squats, chest, back (lots of power cleans), triceps, biceps, lunges, shoulders, abs, warm down

you put whatever weights on your bar you want for each track, and its high repetitions. also every few months new tracks come out so you dont get bored.  i would highly recommend it.

• Options

how is everyone fairing two months on

• Options

Hi Roadrunner

I am fairing quite well, thanx!  I have steadily lost weight over the last few months.. a total of 49lbs altogether.   I now weigh 9.7 (60kg) which I am happy with.  Healthy eating is now a lifestyle and I find it easy.  Running on a regular basis also helps and I also do weights in the gym.  I have entered my first 10K race in November.

How is everyone else getting on?

Karen image

• Options

Agree - bodypump's a good way of building lean muscle. However I've found it doesn't mix with running. Unless you go super-light on the squats and lunges it totally mashes your legs for a run the following day. I tried going heavy on the uppper body tracks instead, but that meant when I ran, the movement of my boobs hurt my pecs image You can't win!

Diet tip: for those wanting to lose weight by reducing their evening meal I can recommend the black bean 'risotto' I made this evening in my slow cooker. Totally vile; virtually inedible.

• Options

Been following this thread since it started.  I am a success story if one is to be had.  I weighed in a 12 and a half stone 3 years ago and dress size 16 to 18 being only 5ft 2.  I started to run because my best friend ( a seasoned runner herself) bet me that I couldnt run 5k in under 30 mins. I started to run, it was hard at first and with my hubbys support I completely revised my diet.  Its all now very healthy with some sins in moderation. 

I now run around 30 miles a week - averaging about 8 min miles, have done 5Ks, 10Ks, half marathons and my first marathon in Stockholm this year in June in 32 degrees heat in 4 and a half hours. 

I started to do weights twice a week last year, some times I ache for two days after - lots of upper and lower body weights - mainly free weights as I hate those machines.  I love spinning and is great for feeling you have worked out hard.

I now weigh in at around 8st 3lbs and am a size 6-8.  I dont tend to go off my weight these days more on how my clothes look.  I am very toned, dont look too thin, and all my friends envy my figure and youthful looks that running, a good diet and exercise gives me.  Only downside - my boobs have gone!   

• Options
    Well done BlisterBabe, nice to hear a positive story (who needs boobs anyway!) image
  • Options

more than a handful's a waste

not seen this thread before - interesting - just trying to sort out how best to go about fairly large scale weight loss (20-25kg to go), now that an injury has sorted itself out sufficiently to start training. first step, training, second step, no beer. one step at a time

• Options

hi Amanda -

Your poor body!  there you are, flogging it half to death but giving it no fuel to work on!!  Up your complex carb intake (brown rice/pasta, good quality bread - not white, that sort of thing) and you will notice a difference image

Lots of luck!
    Zoë

• Options
    Found thread late!  Roadrunner is there an update to that link?
  • Options

help help help, I know this is an old thread but I just cannot lose weight. I gave up smoking 10 months ago and started running in January I ran my first 5k last week in under 30 mins but its amazing I manage to run at all weighing in at 12st 6 and 5ft 3. I have kept food dairies, worked out how many kcals my body needs and stuck to that, I have tried WW and even tried the new fat pills Alli and doubled the dose. I run at least 4 times a week and have at least one weights session a week. Back at eastter time I stopped "dieting" and put on 10lbs in one week, what do I have to do, dont want to be fat and 40.

Any ideas

Lisa

• Options
    CoxieCoxie ✭✭✭

Help here also, in the last 6 months my job has meant that I work away 2-3 nights a week and late hours at least one other and I've put on a stone in that time!!!!!!

Apart from changing jobs (don't want to do yet) I really need to get the will power to say no at resturants, not to drink mid week and to leave the office early enough to do a run before the evening meal.  I know what I should or shouldn't eat but am really stuggling to put it in practice.  Working away did get me down also but I've got over that now so just need to pull the will power back in line.

I did used to be quite controlled but not any more. 

• Options
    Err, have you been to your GP lisa? Could it be an underactive thyroid?
  • Options
    well thought about going to the GP and would love it if it really were something like that, perhaps I will go this week and see what they say. I havent ran this week due to a nasty cold and now feel sluggish and bloody moody so might be time for medical intervention lol
  • Options

Bit worried about 'doubling the fat-burning pills'; not a good move!  For goodness sake get some proper advice!

Sass xx  

• Options

Its ok the tablets are called Orlistat which are 60mg, if you get this drug from the GP its 120mg so not to bad, anyway stopped now they didnt work anyway so dont think fat is my problem but will go and get some proper advice Sass this week, will leet you know what they said.

Lisa

xx

• Options

Good decision methinks!  Keep us posted.

Sass xx

• Options
    Ok have been, had my thyroid checked so watch this space ??????????? Got to get back to running tho cause my cold has gone now get ready for my next challenge of a 10k anyone got any good training plans which might help me shift some pounds at the same time lol
  • Options
    Really enjoyed reading all your threads and sympathise as i have the same problem! Lost 2 1/2 stone about 2 years ago and have put a stone back on. I run 5 times a week ranging from 12 - 17 miles, cycle (flat out) eat healthily (i think?), bran flakes for breakfast, cereal bar mid morning snack, salad for lunch, fruit and a yoghurt for afternoon snack and  usually either pasta, jacket spud or rice for tea and the occasional snacking of a little bit of plain chocolate or some nuts, i cannot shift any weight, infact i know i am getting heavier, i also feel bloated. I drink loads of water but dont seem to be emptying out anywhere near what i'm putting in. I havent done an official calorie count but i reckon i'm probably putting in around 1500 - 1600 calories and burning on avergage from running 350 calories per day. I'm female, 5 ft 11 and my resting pulse is 47. any advise PLEASE???? I'M SO FRUSTRATED!