Options

Asthma UK 10K

2»

Comments

• Options
    Shame you had problems, struthie5. I set off far too early in case of traffic, so managed to park in the main car park.

They told us at the start that they had decided not to delay it, because they had chip timing. It's sad when the communication breaks down!

Just had a look at the results - Jo Pavey must have started right by me, as we both had a 27 sec gun to chip time difference. That's pretty cool that she started near the back!
  • Options

Thankfully managed to avoid getting into problems with the parking but sounds like I was lucky! Got there just before 10 and they'd just started us parking at the side of the road, could see the queue developing though...

Chances of a PB were scuppered by the weather but managed to get 3rd place overall (second in chip timings due to the winner only registering on the day) and had a fairly good run. Just annoyed I didn't kick on earlier from the chap I was sitting behind as when I actually went still had loads of energy and probably could have ogtten a better time by going earlier.

Ah well! Always next time and 34 odd isn't bad for first 10k since 2006!

For what it's worth the two chaps up front  (James Thie and Steve Rees-Jones) reckoned the weather was worth 90 seconds to us with it being probably a lot tougher for those running in it longer.

THanks for organising what was on the whole a great race. Just need to get the parking sorted out and the presentation ceremony perhaps a touch quicker as it was getting very cold! Massive thanks to all of the marshalls out there in the cold and freezing weather!

• Options

Sorry about the confusion re the start. Due to the bad weather, the parking arrangements had to change. After discussing whether the start needed to be delayed, it was decided to start on time. Glad that many of you enjoyed the race despite the rain, sleet, snow, hailstones, wind, freezing temperature and the odd bit of sun!

• Options

Simondee , you don't have to wait too long , there's another 10k at Dorney on 13/4 - I think it's a series they're running this year and the Datchet Dashers 10k is normally the last weekend in June there .

Congrats to all that ran , this was my supposed return to 10k ing after my cartlidge op last Autumn ( having been on e of the last that I ran last year!)but it hasn't all gone to plan and decided to give it a bit longer so didn't run .Funny, the weather wouldn't normally bother me but as soon as you're not running so regularly it doesn't take much too look out of the window and think  ' glad I'm not out there'  .....and it's driving me mad!

• Options

Well done everyone!  I'm thrilled that although the weather added a huge challenge I obtained a fantastic personal best - knocking almost 8 minutes off my previous 10k time (done a lot of training and very proud!)!  The bit from about 6-8k was really horrible and the wind really knocked it out of me.

I have to agree the organisation was terrible - having to run 2k to get to the start before 11 is not good! 

• Options
    If you want another go when hopefully it's a little warmer, The Dorney Dash in on Saturday June 7th this year - hopefully we'll see some of you there.
  • Options

Good Luck everyone!  Weather looks crap but should just make it more fun!!

• Options
    Um not quite sure how the message above was posted - I posted it before the race earlier in the thread..... ignore it please!
  • Options

A maasive hats off to the marshalls.  It wasn't fun running in those conditions but you guys deserve the medals for standing and supporting. Particularly the mad lady at half way with the pom pom who had more energy than most of us running!

Dreadful conditions and I was wondering why I got up at 7 to travel from Bristol to do 6 miles on an easter Saturday but it always feels good afterwards!

• Options

Just about thawed out now. How cold was it from 6 to 8k?

Can anyone tell me how many runners completed?

• Options

The Dorney Dash is always a good one and well organised.

My main gripe was being told by a marshall not to rush as the start had been delayed when it clearly hadn't as we got around the corner and it  had started,felt like going home then,you don't enter a race to start 7 or 8 minutes behind everyone else.

Oh well at least its wasn't settled snow like it is today!

• Options

I had to rush to the start, but luckily got there a few mins before the start.  I did however had to get to the baggage tent and then rush to the start. 

Since it was a charity event, I don't mind too much about the organisation.  If it was organised by a club, then it would be disappointing.  But a charity event needs all the support it can get, and I will be back next year doing my bit. 

• Options

To be told by the parking marshall that the start of the race would be delayed, in order to allow the people who had been affected by the parking delay sufficient time to get down to the start - only to see the race start without us was incredibly disheartening and the thought of not even bothering was a serious consideration.  I'm very glad I did bother as the race had a great atmosphere, despite the bad weather.

• Options
    I and my friends had a great race despite the extreme weather.  My 4-year old niece also braved the freeze  to complete the 2K happy as lark and immediately demanded an ice-cream!  Good atmosphere, friendly people, brave marshals, lovely goody bags.  The organisers did a good job for a good cause.  Lastly , they did inform runners to arrive extra early due to the unpredictable weather so it's a shame to hear the late arrivals complain.  It would have been unfair to keep 500 odd people standing around in the cold to wait for a few latecomers.