Options

Hastings 100th Anniversary Marathon

Comments

• Options
    There's always hope, HTF, whatever the circumstances.  I'm sure you will be ok. 
  • Options
    20 miles for me today in 3 hours after a bloody late nite and also being tempted to try several pints of various crouch vale brews superb.
  • Options

I did a slow and steady 19 miles today which went very well and have the Gosport half next week as my final speedy run.

Got the race pack yesterday, seemed to be a lot on the 1908 marathon and not much on the 2008 one! Does anybody know why there are two numbers, one with and one without timing chip?

• Options
    Errmmmmm............one for the front (with chip) and one for the back.
  • Options
    NTL. the one with the chip is for on your vest, the other is for on your kit bag image
  • Options

lep recorn

your slow is still too fast for me

see you at luton

• Options

Thanks Redhead. I'm sure a box of tie labels would have been cheaper than double printing the numbers though image

Anybody else doing Gosport HM as part of their build up?

• Options

HTF - there only two types of people, runners and non-runners. Therefore, decent is a relative term. At the end of a mara, you either get a bit of money and a medal or you just get a medal, everyone though has completed what is considered to be the ultimate challenge, 26.2 miles!!!!!  So everyone who completes the marathon is not just a decent person but is an extraordinary person as well!

Here endeth the first lessonimage

• Options

Hi HTF, Buttons is grand thanks, he's 10 months tomorrow!  Blimey how time flies!

Nice terminology CF image

• Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

added myself to the facebook group, looking forward to seeing all/some of you in hastings.  I ran a slow and steady 20.1 miles today @ 8:56 pace including a lot of steep hills so am happier about things.  Having an easier week next week despite my lack of running.

Have a nice week all

• Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    I've now decided to stay over on the saturday, staying at alexanders, seems to be close to start/finish (I hope), and only £35 so better than trying to drive down on the day.  Anyone else staying there?  Is there a meet up planned for the night before?
  • Options
    Nice running, Shiva. I ran 18 miles this morning. Slow pace, especially later on, taking 3:03. I would have been fine, and probably done 20, but my ankles are so weak for off road running and of course I turned my ankle over after 11.5 miles. I hobbled, stopped, stretched it, walked a bit and then jogged gingerly. As it happens, after an average-paced start for 4 miles or so mostly uphill (good for Hastings), I found I had picked up my pace to about 8:20 mm just before I turned the ankle over. It could have been a different run. But I was pleased not to be forced to quit there and then, and the ankle seems reasonably OK now.
  • Options

Hi Shiva. I just joined the Facebook group two and was also wondering if anybody is meeting up at all?

Also, did you book Alexanders on the web? I did originaly via the AA site and got a call the next day from the owner saying they are closed for refurbishment. He did kindly fix me up with an alternative but unless you spoke to him on the phone it might be worth giving him a call to confirm?

• Options

Hi everyone!!

Ill be there in December. doing Cornish marathon next week so that will do for my long hilly run! image (i hope) 

Had the magazine and nos through on sat and looks like this will be a great event! looking forward to it now! anyone know if its a hilly one or not 2 bad as we are comming from Devon and dont know the area!

Just joined the Facebook group! good luck with the training everyone!! image

• Options
    Hi everyone, just found this thread while surfing around, I entered the marathon a few weeks back (on a crazy whim)... it'll be my first marathon... I'm a bit nervous but looking forward to it all the same.

One question... and i'm sorry if this has already been answered but this thread is 100 pages long and I'm supposed to be in bed already image

What's the terrain going to like? I thought it was going to be all road, but then in the welcome pack it says the first 4 miles will be on road, thereafter running on footpaths? image

Cheers,
    Colin.
  • Options

Hi there Colin, welcome to the thread.

It is all on road, I think they just mean roads are closed for first 4 miles, but then we have to run on footpaths, ie at the side of the road. As used by pedestrians etc.

Hows your training going?

• Options

Hi Pete - phew!  I was worried for a second that I'd accidentally entered an offroad marathon.

My training is going fairly well.  I only made the decision to enter a short time ago - I came down with man-flu and couldn't do the Great South Run, so I decided to look for another event in order to raise more money for Leukemia Research.

Anyway, my point being I'm only a couple of weeks into a 6 week 'plan'.  By plan I mean, running a couple of short fast runs during the week, and then trying to ramp up the distance at the weekends.  I managed about 15 miles on Friday - my longest ever run - got a bit of tightness in my hip so that was about my limit, but hopefully it'll get easier as the weeks go by...    I'm a triathlete and keen cyclist so my problem won't be the fitness side ot things, its more a case whether I can run the distance without some kind of physical pain or problem creaping in.

Any tips would of course be greatly appreciated

• Options

Colin,

I think if you've run 15 miles you are on your way.   As a veteran of 28 marathons, I would recommend you trying a 20 mile run 3 weeks before Hastings, i.e the weekend of 22/23 Nov.   Good luck.

• Options
    That's what I'll be doing too, Tony, then tapering from there until the event.
  • Options

Hi all,

I ran the Cheddar Half Marathon on Saturday (8th Nov) in 1:28:46 so well chuffed so should be O.K. for 3:15 - 3:30 at Hastings.

The Cheddar Half was absolutely fantastic.   Just 350 runners and for £16 you got a mug and T-Shirt.   Start and finish was in a local school with hot showers available at the finish and home made cakes.   Absolutely no congestion getting there or away and no feeling of being ripped off.   In fact, it was one big pleasure all day long.   So, whoever said that BIG is BEST - WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   In my humble opinion you can keep the Great Run series, go small, go fun and go proper running again!   Thanks Cheddar!

• Options

Sounds like a great race Tony

I ran my first ever 20 miles yesterday, rather hilly and some rough tracks but did it in a reasonable 3.25.

My legs ache a little today but its my feet that are the worst, they feel a bit brusied but I reckon thats because the last 5 miles were on rough tracks and the amount of time on my feet.

Got my numbers and pack on Saturday, it starting to feel very real now, have I mentioned that this is my first Marathonimage

• Options

Tony- well done, that race sounds great, another one for the 'to do' list image

Everyone is really cranking out the long runs, in such bad weather of late I'm sure we'll be ready for the big day image

3 weeks since running Amsterdam mara and I did 13 mile yesterday, the recovery period is pretty much done with now, so need to ramp up for a few weeks to get a few 17/20 milers in before Hastings. It is a weird feeling to be relying in most part on the training I did for Amsterdam and just be 'topping' it up with a few LSR in between the 2 maras. I've never done 2 maras to such close succession , so may be 'interesting' on the day image

• Options

Got my race pack on Sat. i think they must be the largest numbers Ive ever seen. Nice programme.

Following on from a 1.36 Barns Green half last week I ran a 10km CX on Wednesday. Soleus was a bit sore day after, so my 20 miler worked out at 5miles on Sat and 15miles  yesterday (2hrs 10 mins). Leg feels fine so hopefully penultimate 20 miler next weekend.

• Options
    an easy running weekend for me - just a 10k. having done BHM 2 weeks earlier and then a 15 miler and a 9 miler in the last week, my legs decided they really needed to have a break so that's what they did. the 20 miler will be next w/e....

but I cycled the majority of the course yesterday a) as a rough measure and b) to check the route from a run perspective (I've biked parts of it many times but never looked at it through different eyes)

anyway - summary here

distance - taking the average of 2 bike computers, the distance is about right. we didn't do the town centre lap or the beach part from Bexhill but I reckon it will be pretty spot on the right distance.

course:

the 1st 3/4 miles are uphill we all know. the downside is that it gets progressively steeper, the closer to the Ridge you get and one part of Palatine Road is gonna hurt especially as you're still getting into your stride. Once on the Ridge there are some further uphill stretches which will also make you work.

from the last climb on the Ridge, the route is then pretty flat/downhill/a couple of minor rises until the Squirrel Pub after Battle with footpaths. between the Squirrel and Catsfield it's downhill, but you'll be on the road. Between Catsfield and Ninfield you'll be on the road a lot again, and there's a sharp climb up to Ninfield that will test.

From Ninfield to Bexhill, it's mostly flat/downhill but again, road sections and little pavement. Once into Bexhill, there's a sharp climb under a road bridge after Bexhill Hospital that will test the legs at this stage of the event. It's then downhill and flat on the loop out to Cooden and back to Bexhill with a couple of minor rises.

Once you're on the prom at Bexhill, it's then all flat bar Galley Hill at about mile 21 which is short and sharp. Onto the beach track after for about a mile or so and then the prom at Hastings to the finish.

Some of the climbs will test the legs (they did on the bike!) and you will need to keep aware on the road sections as traffic can be fast so hopefully good marshalling will help slow the Sunday drivers down.

fingers crossed for good weather - we got soaked and blown about on the bikes yesterday which made it harder.
  • Options

Thanks FB for the report.

I don't know whether that helps me or scares me, it does however mean that I will be taking the first half easier than I probably would of.

I've been including some pretty long and steep hills on my runs with undulations in between the hills. The weather has been particularly bad recently so getting used to what could be like on the day.

• Options
    Thanks FB (I think image)
  • Options

Can we stop talking about the hills i would prefer to turn up not knowing.

Thanks

• Options

I'll be thinking of you on 22/23 Nov then Mr Finknottle!   It will be worth the effort getting that final long run in before the taper.

Yes, can highly recommend the Cheddar Half - small and beautiful!

Also thought the Race Pack and Race Programme (also rec'd on Saturday) were excellent and yes, the numbers are BIG!   Think I'll wear a bright yellow top to match the bright yellow numbers!

As for the hills, lets go with the flow eh?   At least the last sections are along the sea front but fingers crossed that the wind is blowing in the right direction!   Do any locals to the area know what we might expect wind wise along that final stretch please? 

• Options

Hi All!

Managed a 17miler in 2.45 yest! No pain or niggles, blisters or bruised toenails! Hoorah! So, looking good so far! Must join the  Facebook page!!

I love the fact we get a horse brass instead of a medal. Its really cool!

x x x

• Options
    Do any locals to the area know what we might expect wind wise along that final stretch please?

prevailing winds along the Channel coast here are South Westerly -as they are at the mo albeit very strong expecting gusts up to 60mph!! so if the wind blows normally, we will get pushed along the final stretches

for anyone who's done the Hastings 1/2, they'll know about that SW wind as it's usually in their faces for the last 3 miles!

but you can't bet with wind - if we get an easterly blow which can easily happen in winter, it will be in our faces and COLD.....

take the weather as it comes eh?