Options

Hastings 100th Anniversary Marathon

Comments

• Options
    2 hours is fine with 2 weeks to go - just not at MP.
  • Options
    I'm well and truly tapering. Just 10 miles done this afternoon in 1:31, after dropping son off at a birthday party. Managed to find some decent trails to run so it didn't all have to be on the road.
  • Options
    sounds good Chi - will be about the same distance probably but slower! 
  • Options

did16 this morning after missing a whole week, heel/ankle fine i wasjust shattered as bad nights sleep thanks to oldest son coming home pizzed in the very early hours. stiil taper now got thegrim next Sunday realy looking forward to that.

mut dash picking thewife up from work in maldon 12 ,miles away.

• Options

Opinions/advise needed please.....

My hip flexor got all sore after 10 miles today, so I had to walk the last 2 miles home. (it feels like a pull when my leg goes back in a deep flexor area) Im also feeling the beginnings of a couple of old niggles coming back. Would it be alright to not run now till the marathon, but just do 40 mins on the gym bike or something instead a couple of days this week & at the weekend? I think my legs have had enough from the last few long runs.

I dont think I can physically/mentally run anymore for fear of not making it to the race!

Thanks all & enjoy the rest of sunday.image

xx 

• Options

I would definitely lay off til the marathon - its only 2 weeks - in my humble opinion (4 maras and a training w/e with the Full potential crowd) its not worth the risk.  taper and be healthy and eat carbs! 

did 10 miles -very slowly in wind rain and cold - glad to be back in the dry!  

• Options

shortstop the general advice is that you cannot gain or lose any fitness in the last two weeks - so I would suggest keeping tuned up with a little non-impact  activit and then run onthe day & hope . . .

• Options
    Quite agree.   Take it easy guys - all the hard work should have been done so relax and let your body recover so you are in tip top form on the 14th.   Don't be tempted to do anything silly!
  • Options

Brrr not long got back from an 11mile run, wet windy and cold weather for me today and now glad to be in warm dry clothes at home.

Well done to those out in horrid conditions today image 

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger....and all that !image

• Options
    Benyo, Good to hear your cold is clearing up.  Planned to do a 6 at HEROS this morning, we got lost, thought we were on a golf course near home but discovered we were on a completely different golf course! - tried cutting back thru a footpath to discover that it was a genuine river - got up to 2 feet in water when saw it was going through barbed wire into private land.  Ended up doing 9.  Picked up a calf strain - but I've had worse and run a Half 7 days later.  Note to self - take it easy over the next 2 weeks!
  • Options

SS, agree it's best to err on the side of caution and rest up.  If it were me (and I've been there more than once!) I'd stick with x-training and the odd aqua jog session.

19 done today.  Bit soggy, rather cool but ok.  Minor niggles from the knee and heel but very minor.

• Options
    Well done Kaz.
  • Options

Thanx all. Im wondering now if its groin strain. Not sure where that would be though, so will google! It started hurting again just walking the dogs! Nooo!!

I cant think of a low impact exercise that doesnt involve your leg swinging back & forth. Soooo annoyed with myself!

Apart from that, im carb loading as planned & loving every minute of it. !

Laters

Shorty

xx

• Options

A steady 16 for me today. Didn't feel quite as cold as last week but wouldn't mind it a bt warmer on the day image

Will do 12 next sunday as race pace and that will be pretty much it.

Well done everybody, some impresive milage

• Options

SS, I'd suggest taking it easy and treating yourself to a decent massage / physio session,  it's not cheap but if the niggles are from volume of mileage this should help ease things out.

I had a pretty brutal massage on Friday,  was nearly jumping off the table,  but it eased out quite a few knots and niggles in the calves, knees, hammys and hip flexors.  Gentle 4 miles yesterday to help flush it all out then 13 miles this morning,  wasn't using my watch and ended up going slightly quicker than marathon pace so very easy from now on in

Some good training going on guys,  nice and easy,  as mentioned plenty of times above we won't see any benefits from here on in but could wreck things for the day with too much training.....only 13 days to go

• Options

shortstop - try rowing? You can maintain cardio fitness with very little exercise for a while - 3 x 15 to 20 minutes a week will do the trick, so if you can row or swim or something ... IMHO these niggles always appear a couple of weeks or so before the race so I am hoping for the best for you image

Lep Recorn - are you doing this one? image

I'll be at the start in a Fetch top. I'll run back to 21 miles where there is going to be a Fetchpoint. If anyone who's been posting regularly on here has small amounts of stuff they'd like to pick up at Fetchpoint, you can hand it to me (I'll run with a backpack) - and I'll hand it back at 21 miles image Do mark it with your number though). Gels and stuff - also the odd bottle.I'll be there till the last runner has gone through.

RichK will be out on the course taking photos. You can see what he has been up to recently at

Rich K's website

• Options
    Knee and heel quite sore this morning.  Heel I can ignore but am hoping the knee settles down as I'm straight into Draycote/Wye/Connemara training after Hastings.
  • Options

Kaz! You are an inspiration! I will be kicking back & pigging out for a week after the race, then gently gently starting again!

Groiny area still tender again walking dogs this morning. Will book a massage/physio this week & try rowing at the gym. Fingers crossed I make it to the start!

xxx

• Options

ss, it's more madness than anything else - I get a little carried away when it comes to entering races!!!

Good idea to get the groin checked out.  The physio will be able to give you stretches etc and tell you what exercise you can do.  At the end of the day tho' you're not going to lose any fitness even if you do nowt between now and Hastings.

• Options

SS, just to echo what everybody else has said definately ease of and take it easy from now on. In my build up to FLM this year I picked up a groin strain in the first week of taper, didn't rest it and ran through instead and ending up pulling out at mile 19 whilst on target for a pb. Lesson learnt. You won't lose any fitness at this stage but I find swimming a good cross training exercise.

Good luck and hope its OK on the day.

• Options

Still no running for me starting to look like a DNS. My right knee ligaments or tendons are giving me real jip. Its fine walking but I can still feel it, running is ok after a while but when I stop it really hurts.

I've brought a knee strap thing at the weekend which does seem to have helped. I am not sure if going to a physio will help image but I might go anyway.

I will be so Peed off it I can't make the start as I have been building up to this since may.

I will give it until the Saturday before and make a decision then.

• Options

TG!!! Nooo!! You must come to the start! We can hobble round together!

I have a sports massage booked tonight, so see if she can locate the dodgy area. Methinks she's gonna give me tourettes tonight!! image

xxx

• Options

Shortstop

Thats basicaly what worries me about going to the physio. Last time i when I turned the air blue when she unknotted my calf muscles.image Propably the most painful thing I have ever had done. I have broken bones before with far less pain. Mind it did do the trick with my shin splints. Not sure what she could do with strained ligaments thoughimage

But I will endevor to make it to the start.

• Options
    Yikes, this really is turning into a "crocks" forum isn't it, sounds like there is at least a good half dozen now who started on here who won't be at the start line.
  • Options

Sorry to hear all the injury woes - hope they resolve themselves in time for the start.

To try and prevent 'going off too fast and paying for it later'- I'm planning to run to HR.  As previously discussed, the first 3-4 miles are mostly uphill, do I allow myself an extra x bpm, run to percieved effort or stick to the 'agreed' limit and maybe walk bits of the uphills.  Thoughts? 

• Options
    FF - RPE is the best methinks as your HR will still probably be settling down so working to HR+x won't work that well. walking may not be a bad idea either......

are you me and AJH going for the sub-4:30 as we discussed at BH?? I reckon it's doable.....

did a 19miler on Saturday followed by an hours bike on Sunday (would have been longer but I snapped a spoke so headed back home). legs are a tad tired but not too bad. will do the Mince Pie 10 next Sunday as the final run
  • Options
    FB- sub 4:30 sounds like a plan, I was mostly offroad this weekend (Gatliffe 35K) so looking forward to some nice mud free roads. 
  • Options
    I did a half yesterday in 2:10 but my calfes were cramping at the end but made it round. I will be doing hastings with a shorter and slower in the run/walk method that I did.
  • Options
    Didnt run over the weekend. Have a bit of a cold and slept through unitl 11am yesterday. Also hamstring/ glut is a bit achy. Hope all will be well for a  jog out tomorrow.
  • Options

For anybody that doesn't have arrangements for the Saturday night and fancies some pasta and company I have booked a table at the Hastings location of http://www.simplyitalian.co.uk/ for 7.00

Table is booked for ten people and have 4 so far but the more the merrier! image

The list is on Fetch http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=14269 or you can email me via here.