Options

A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

Comments

• Options
    kaybeekaybee ✭✭✭

http://www.ukresults.net/2009/fradley.html

Results here.  As you can see Simon, Debbie, Josie and Edster all cruised in under 55m, CatherineP, Chrissie and Floozy all cruelly pipped just outside the magic hour, with myself and Andy Downs, representing the more mature and generously proportioned of the team, bringing up the rear.

Brilliant to meet everyone from the thread - thanks for the report Chrissie, your experience sounds like mine - god that wind tunnel in the rain was horrible.  I'll try and do a proper race report later but for now its toast and jam and a big lie down.

• Options

Just checked the chip time and I did 54.20 wow I am pleased!!!!

I have just got back after long drive and will race report later. Fab to meet more threadsters! Fab day out! Look forward to photos being posted on FB. See ya later.

• Options

Yay yay yay - fantatsic running peeps. Good times guys (thats everyone not just the men!).

where are the group photos - no running for me - slacker - being doing my drive all weekend....looks good though but waking up at 7 on your days off are so not good and i feel sleepy now!

Good shout Kelly on long run - mighty sensible even if you did complete your lsr at a flatout time!

Jason - how was your half?

OB - how you feeling?

• Options

Well done everyone and I mean everyone!!

I'm ok thanks Beanie, just aware that I'm turning into a blob already  image

• Options
    Simon Hucks wrote (see)

Fradley results are now posted. Was looking to do sub 50. But managed to do 52.03. Still a PB for the second 10k that I have done.

Hope everyone else had a good race. image

I got very confused there - I looked for 52:03 and it was an F35 called Abela Cettina!  Then I noticed another 52:03 further down.

Did we meet you?  I'm really sorry if we did because I don't remember you image and I wasn't even drunk.

Anyway, here's my race 'report':-

f**k me, how the hell did I manage that?!

Succinct and to the point I think.

• Options

I noted the chip result and not the clock result as I started from right at the back. My Garmin time was the same as the chip time as I started it when I crossed the line.

• Options

Lol Kosie.

Nice race although water that was promised half way round would have been nice as an excuse to walk a bit.  

Cheers for the coffee Ed, much appreciated.  

Glad to see someone turned up in fluorescent green tights, made identification a lot easier image

It was really nice to meet people from here, not a serial killer in sight. Lovely memento but can't get the 'fur coat and no knickers' comment Debbie made out of my head everytime I look at it. 

• Options

Hello people, can I join in?

I did a 10k last may in 1 hr 12mins and will be doing the same race this year, would like to get a bit faster but like everyone i have other time and energy committments as well as running and need some ideas.  The race is the Cure Leukaemia 10k at Sutton Park in Birmingham. There is also a 5k and 1k for children.

My running partner and myself are at the moment just getting the distances back up ( currently run around 4 miles twice during the week and a longer one at weekends, (we did 6 on saturday but i needed a couple of walk breaks on the hills!)

congratulations on what sounds like a good run that some of you have just done. It must have been nice to put faces to avatars. 

I am very impressed that this thread seems to have stayed "on topic" for over 200 pages.....

• Options

hi walktallkate - (or wtk for short) - not very good with long names!  Welcome the more the merrier - sounds like you are in the right place.  We do try to keep it to running but it can go off course sometimes (OB and Ed)!!!!!

• Options

I was suppose to do a witty race report but fear that I am sooo tired I will fail.

Met everyone and was very excited. Chrissie has black hair which was a surprise as she definately has blonde hair on here!! Pre race nerves meant I was giddy (not my usual behaviour honest) Loos were scarse and Catherine and I only just managed a pee before the gun. Set off with Josie and Ed (and his mate) eager to sustain my speedy PB. Ran tooo fast (giddy again) and did a 8.09 first mile. At 4k we were 1.30 up on a sub 55 time and I was dying. I dropped back and tried to get into a 5.30 pace I could sustain. I was working hard from then on. Josie sped off strong and Ed and I did the middle few km together holding a 5.30 pace. I encouraged Ed to go as I knew I had nothing more for the end so he sped off (DM demoralised at this point with no RW mates left) I thought if I could just keep going I was in with a chance as we had such a strong start. At 9k I tried to run stronger but struggled. At 200m to go I gave it all I had left and as I saw the clock at 54.40 I sprinted to the line and crossed with a clock time of 54.51...falling to my knees. Pleased with my time we collected our special glass trophy and went to cheer on the others. Still dying we nearly missed Chrissie and Floozy who were pipped by the 60min (dam and blast). Then came Kaybee who with her mate DM found a sprint finish in her legs to my delight. Andy smooth as anything came in with a smile. All present we collected, hyperthermia setting in, for a photo and back to the car for a race for the exit. Coffee and a chat at the pub (no chrissie and Floozy...I didn't get a chance to say goodbye) Graet to chat, witty as every on and offline. Hatched a plan for Leicester half marathon in October. Anyone else fancy it.......

I know that wasn't very entertaining but I am going in the bath and straigt to bed.

MMMM 13.5/65.5

Nite!!

• Options

Well done everyone at Fradley. 

Josie you must have been flying!

Chrissie, Floozy and Catherine I feel for you all.  So close yet so far.  My PB currently stands at 60:07.  Those 7 seconds might as well be 7 minutes!

Ed, I guess the injury didn't hold you up then!

Hope you will all be updating the PB spreadsheet

• Options
    henmuffin wrote (see)

Well done Kelly.  I think it's the sensible thing to do in the circumstances.  The longer runs are more taxing on your body.  On the Garmin I normally just look at the average pace with the lap setting on so it tells me time per mile.

I might try that next time.  Probably a better indicator than actual pace.
  • Options
    Updated with chip time of 54.20. Thanks kelly if you didn't put it up 1 wouldn't know where it was.
  • Options

Well done fradley peeps.  My race is a couple of weeks off now so I'm getting nervous.  Went out today for a slow 5 miles.  I feel for you guys who ran in that horrible wind this morning cause I found it tough going out tonight as well.  When I'm slow running now I'm starting to get pins and needles in my feet.  Funnily enough I'm not getting them when I'm going flat out on the Tuesday and Thursday.  Is this just a case of running style ?? 

Running Tortoise - you must have been out around midday.  I was looking out my window at the time and thought if the big giant hailstones are going to continue then I'm gonna wimp out of running today and go and lift weights lol

• Options

Sounds like eveybody had a good race Today, I did the Lydd half which was a very flat course with only a train bridge providing the only hill, I engoyed the race all though the organisres need to sort a few teething problems, still as this was my first ever half I was hoping for around 1hr 55mins and after the weather reports of heavy rain and wind I thought it maybe longer, I got to the race with lovely sunshine and no wind and started to think why am I doing a half, still the race started and away we went, first few miles were pretty quick all under 08:20mins, then coming upto around mile 8 my legs started to ache and I kept thinking there's still another 5 miles left, I tried one of those isotonic gel packs at mile 9 to try and pick me up but didn't really notice any difference and started to slow so I set myself a goal of trying to do the last few miles in under 9 minutes, got to the finish line with very heavy legs but felt alot better when I looked at my garmin which had a time of 1hr 49mins fantastic,now I just have to decide weather I want to do it all again next month.

• Options
    Wow sounds like a fab day and a great meet up - just looked at the spreadsheet and my PB (after checking it was actually 6 seconds quicker so I've adjusted) was from 2007 though - I'd get knowhere near that now image just scraped sub 60 at HL nearly finished me off. I must get try harder!

Deb - 8:09 first mile :-0, I'd have been on my arse! Felt the pain reading your report, a very well deserved PB, I guess consistency is they key and I've lost it - well done again!

Josie - What time did you do - sounds like you were flying!?

Chrissy, Catherine & Floozy - Sorry to here you just missed sub-60 but you'll get it next time, well done all!

Well done to everyone else who raced today, get yourselves a well deserved glass of vino image

• Options

kittens - I got 53:13 image.  There were murmurings of throwing me and DM out of the thread but we're having none of it - none of it I say.

Anyway, I only got that time because of Ed's generous mate, Mark, who ran slowly (for him) and paced me around.

Ed - is he available for booking as a pace runner for future races???

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Wow - what a day from you all image - sorry if I miss congratulating anyone, but there's just SOOO MUCH!!  Well done to all the Fradley bods - Simon on PB -- DM, Josie, Ed and Kosie - all under 55imageimage!!

Also congrats to Chrissie (great report!), Cath P and FloozyP - so close in crap weather!! Next time given better conditions =image.

Hello and welcome to walkie-talkie!!

RFR - well done on 1/2 result - sounds like a good time if you weren't feeling goodimage.

My Llanelli (westerly coastal run!!) 1/2 report - tried to warm up by standing in one place and not being blown over by the wind!! (succeeded at last). Huddled behind as many people as I could for first 5m!! Leant at about 45degree angle between 5 and 51/2m, wind really strong, so took away most of the screams from people wearing shorts when hail storm started(went for trackie bottoms, gloves and woolly hat look myself!!). Fact I was blinded by this storm took my mind off the fact that it sounded like mass murder was going on around me!!image Eventually turned to have wind behind me (bliss!!) , but last 3 miles was back into the teeth of the gale - really thought I would have to walk in last mile, but somehow (????) found a sprint last 150mtrs! Chipped time = 1:41.48imageimage (7.47 pace) . Really pleased given conditions!! 

• Options
    kaybeekaybee ✭✭✭

Fradley pics are online here:

http://www.myeventphoto.co.uk/event/running/5912/index.htm

In the start portfolio I'm on pics 221 and 222.  Andy Downs is at 225 and 227

In the 9.5k portfolio I'm on 603 and 604 and Andy is on 607

Alternatively you could just google "purple lardy wazzock" and it will go straight to the pics of me.

BTW Andy, you might have succeeded in deliberately looking grumpy at 9.5k, but I'm afraid you are grinning away on 227.... image

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Forgot mileage- total MMMM now= 39.71 (11/2 down, 41/2 to goimage)
  • Options
    kaybeekaybee ✭✭✭

Jason D - well done, that sounds hardcore!  I think I would have been in tears.  Also well done RFR for Lydd.

• Options

Hi peeps

T oo tired to say much tonight but great to meet you all. Thanks especially to Catherine P and Chrissie T not sure I could have made it round without you both, keeping you in my sights helped. Have to say foot is ok and considering my lack of training have to be fairly pleased. But as kelly says that 27 seconds may as well be 27 mins just don't think I can go any faster.

How is your foot ED

Well done JD and RFBR great times.

mmmm 18/65

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    b
    Floozy Po wrote (see)

that 27 seconds may as well be 27 mins just don't think I can go any faster.

B******s FP, given the fitness/ injury problems and lack of training as a result that you've suffered lately, that 27 seconds may not as well be 27 mins - once you're fit that 27 secs may as well be NOT THERE!!!!!image You did really well - focus on the positive hereimage XX
  • Options
    kaybeekaybee ✭✭✭
    I agree with Jason, FP, you did BRILLIANTLY. image
  • Options
    Well done everyone - great reports and fabulous times, thosea t Fradley and Jason and RFR too, sorry but in the excitement forgot to wish you luck beforehand. imageimage

Good news about your foot Floozy, Ed how is yours?

Nutty1976 wrote (see)

Running Tortoise - you must have been out around midday.  I was looking out my window at the time and thought if the big giant hailstones are going to continue then I'm gonna wimp out of running today and go and lift weights lol

Unfortunatley I got half way through my run when the hail started and just cut it short, gave me a sore head though

• Options
    henmuffinhenmuffin ✭✭✭

Morning you speedy lot. Well done on all your races yesterday. Some great race reports and everyone did really well.

Nutty are your shoe laces too tight. Sometimes I can get pins and needles if mine are.

Welcome all new members, Elton and Walkie. Hope I haven't missed anyone out. I am going to look at the photos now before work. Have a great day!   

• Options

Good morning everyone. image

FionaA wrote (see)

Ed - take it you won't be runing in your gym skirt tomorrow then?  

Sorry to disappoint but I had running tights on instead. Maybe DM would have stayed with me for the last 1km if I'd have had a skirt on. Sorry it didn't look too good from behind...
    Simon Hucks wrote (see)

Fradley results are now posted. Was looking to do sub 50. But managed to do 52.03. Still a PB for the second 10k that I have done.

Well done Simon! How come we didn't meet you before or after the race?! image
    walktallkate wrote (see)

The race is the Cure Leukaemia 10k at Sutton Park in Birmingham. There is also a 5k and 1k for children.

Hi WTK and welcome. I'm going to do that 10km too. Hopefully!

• Options

Race report? Well, as Kaybee / DM said - Fur Coat, No Knickers!! image

Glorious sunshine on the way to the race and then about an hour before the start the clouds came and the temperature dropped. Met up with the fellow RW peeps and stood at the start line with DM, Josie and Josie's new fella - my mate Mark. image
    We shivered - not sure if it was because of the cold or the anticipation. As DM mentioned we ran out pretty quickly for the first mile and did it in 8:09 but from then on we settled into a steadier pace. After about 1.5k I suggested that we just nip to my house for a coffee and join the race again for lap 2 but they were all too straight-laced to cheat. The only slower than expected split was the 5th km at 5:51. At around the 6.5km mark Josie ran off with Mark and I stuck with DM and bitched about them both. (not really)
    Didn't feel too bad saying that I hadn't run at all for two weeks and my foot felt fine so at around 8.5k I picked the pace up slightly and ran for home. Well, not literally home as that was in the opposite direction.

Crossed the line in a chip time of 53:54 so pretty chuffed with that. Also really pleased for the PBs of Josie and DM and well done to the others too. Despite the wind, rain and smell it was a good race. Apart from the supporters. What a miserable bunch of people!! They all just watched as we ran past. No encouragement or applause or anything! Except for at the finish line when you need it the least. Sorry to everyone for them.

Off to the pub afterwards for a nice warm drink and a chat. Kaybee and DM are exactly the same in real life as they are on here. Completely nutty and total perverts. image

Looking forward to the next meet-up whenever that will be.

Will try a 2 to 3 mile plod on Wed to check out the foot again but so far - no pain! image

*waits for the post-race pics to be posted of us all freezing our tits off!*

• Options

Well done everyone who had a PB and Josie your a dark horse so speedy!

P.S my time was a PB will explain later!

Just about to head home so check in later.

I have a post race pic will post later!!!

Foot sore this morning so will now rest until my half next Sunday not ideal but hey ho! 

• Options

Just had a quick flick through the photos. The website is fixed so that you can't right click to get the URL for each photo. image

Ones of myself, Josie and DM are numbers 176, 508, 509, 510, 937, 950 and 959 out of 1156!!