Cader Idris Mountain Race, May 30.

2»

Comments

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Good luck, you gals & guys image

Stay cool..... 

• Options
    Good Luck to you all, wish I was there today, weather looks great!
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    TT - you're not wrong there- really hot one- didn't realise there was water except for checkpoint at the bottom of the hill!! Anyway, first time racing off tarmac and LOVED it!!imageimage What a fantastic friendly, well organised, value for money event!! Legs turned to total jelly after coming off the mountain - the field and woodland part, but managed a second wind to carry me through!! Can't wait til next year - think this is my favourite (if slowest!!) eventimage. Only thing I would mention is that the photo link on the race website doesn't seem to work - or is it me??
  • Options

What an incredible race. Never seen anything like it. I missed the cut-off point at 1 hour 15, but carried on & finished anyway, as an independant runner. I met at least 5 of us in the same position, but we all finished.......eventually......image

What about the views from the top......image WOW.....

How on earth were people sprinting down the really steep bits? They were like mountain goats....image

• Options
    I can't get the photos up either.......image
  • Options

Well done everyone !

There are lots of great (and free) photos here c/o some fine person on the FRA website

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/alastair.tye/RasCaderIdris

Probably the hardest race I've ever done - going down the biggest challenge for me.   The weather was also a killer, not to mention carrying waterproofs etc. On that, I was not alone it seems in being a little peeved to see so many clearly ignoring (and being allowed to ignore ?) the FRA rules about mandatory carried kit for this race. On such a day, and on such a course, this was a significant handicap for those that did play fair and lug 'full body waterproofs' (Pertex not allowed), compass, whistle, map etc to the top of Cadair Idris and back

That aside, a great day out and very rewarding.  Many thanks to those who organised and supported. I loved the view from the top, inspirational sight of the front runners storming down The Mountain, plus the run-in to the finish and post-race athmosphere.    

Will be back next year - will bring stronger quads though !!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    OFT - you beat me to it to advertise Alastair's photos. Many thanks to him, though I'm not looking my bestimage!! I did carry all the required kit, but got to admit I forgot it was there. Did people get away with not carrying it?? I know they checked for bumbags/ sacs before start, but guess not the contents -??image. Definitely with you on the stronger quads!!!!!!!!!!!! Still can't walk up, or more especially DOWN stairs very well!!! Also agree with your thanks to everyone, including the inspirational band. Never had so much fun with my clothes on!!. imageSee you next year!!image
  • Options
    Yeah, I saw loads of people carrying no kit at all. Saw no checks being made either. We passed by a marshal who was supposed to be checking kit, but I saw no-one being asked to open their bum-bags, & those with no kit weren't stopped. Felt a bit silly lugging all that gear when others didn't bother. I think some people didn't bother with all the waterproof stuff once they saw the weather & that there was no chance of rain.
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Ah well, I suppose we can feel rightly proud of ourselves for following the rules.image
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Got the taste now!! Anyone fancy this one: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=48937 ??image

It's longer than Cader, but fell all the way. It's also less steep, but plenty of up and down ( in fact the overall ascent is apparently 2,500'). Grassy and boggy and in the middle of sunny Pembrokeshire!! ( Close to home for me). Have taken Duke of Edinburgh Award groups up here, nav not a problem really - ridgeline all the way.image Sounds like a great day out to me!!

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    That sounds boss, jason.  i've friends who live in Narberth and I pass the Preseli on the way down - superb scenery.  Alas, I'm looking at the Yorkshire Wolds HM from Bishop Wilton nr Pocklington the day before - mega hilly and stunning surroundings.  Bar, cake stall & country show at the end!! image
  • Options
    DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭

Wow! What a MONSTER of a race that was!

Ria - unlucky on missing the cut-off, but Well Done on continuing! image

Due to the unfeasible heat, I paced myself on the run-out and the ascent, but went quite mad on the descent (always my fave bit) and was completely dead for the run-in (or walk/stagger/jog-in in my case)
    2:40, but happy just to finish in one piece really image

the campsite that we tried first (that had said how quiet they were and that we didn't need to book) had FULL signs up when we got there on Thursday afternoon image, but we found a site 5 mins out of Dolgellau right next to a ruined abbey image that was so brill we stayed for 4 nights in the end image

• Options

Daz, that's a respectable time. Nice one. Told you the campsites would get full!!

We drove up the Cader road, turned onto a B road, & threw the tent up in a field!! It was fab!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Daz - know what you mean about the staggering!!image

Hooray!! Legs still don't bend properly after throwing myself down cader with a bit too much gusto, but got out for a very slow and stiff 9m tonightimage. Actually stayed in The Ship after the race for a bit of luxuryimage - surprised to find rooms left.

p.s. managed 2:12, which I was very surprised and happy with - especially as I found myself walk/staggering through the field and woods at the bottom!!

• Options

Here are some great places near Cader that we visited over the weekend. Make a note if you are coming back next year.....

Fairbourne beach. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbourne

Aberdovey. http://www.aberdovey.org.uk/

Water wheel at Furnace. http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/mid/sites/history/pages/dyfifurnace.shtml

Furnace waterfall.  http://www.severnvisionphotographic.co.uk/photo_2862246.html 

Lake Vyrnwy. http://www.vyrnwy.co.uk/

• Options
    DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭

Barmouth beach is very popular

I can also HIGHLY recommend the drive down the B4405 to the Tal-y-Llyn lake and onwards to the old-stylee seaside resort of Tywyn

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Ran down the road towards Tal - y- Llyn on the Sunday morning after the race- very picturesqueimage
  • Options

We need a week to explore the area next year......image

Who's up for next year by the way??? image

ME!! image

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    RR - Can't wait!!image
  • Options
    DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭

you two are mental - I'm gonna give it a miss! image

I probably will do it again in the future, but there are a few other races that fall at the end of May that I want to do first - Duddon springs to mind... image

• Options
    Not on events section yet - but still lookingimage