Options

50 Mile Challenge

Comments

• Options
    BritNickBritNick ✭✭✭
    Well done Stuart (and everyone else). I see no times mentioned and no results are up yet. I'm dying to know how emphatically you qualified for WS. image
  • Options
    Great event and support - legs ok (but tomorrow they probably won't be).  Some back niggles, but main problem qwas feeling sick from about mile 30 onwards - think I hadn't taken on enoughfood + water.  On lap 4 applied Compeed to sole of foot as could feel blister forming - wondered why it felt so uncomfortable - I had forgooten to take backing paper off - doh!
  • Options

my legs are killing me

I am going to go for a tiiny jog now

• Options
    I migh manage a small stagger to the pub this evening image.
  • Options
    Jelly baby corner rocked!!! Cheers to Mike and all the helpers...you guys were fabulous and all the runners were amazing...Last year I did the 52 but this year I opted for the 32...and loved it as much...organisation amazing and very professional and medal exellent last year and next year - it gets stronger and stronger every year!!! defo be back to knock out a 30-50 miler next year PLUS the pub after was awesome...from what i can recall image
  • Options

Sorry I didn't post yesterday but I got home and all I wanted to do was fall asleep. I ate some food, unpacked a little and then went to bed. I guess that's what you get for getting up at 2:30 in the morning. image

I had real trouble walking today. I've got some juicy blisters on my big toes but I was expecting that. Compeed delayed the problem but some things you have to live with. They are dealt with now and feel fine. My quads are utterly utterly utterly shot though. Can't walk forwards downstairs, far too painful. Going to be interesting how I feel tomorrow. I suspect they will be ok though. I'm swimming tomorrow morning which should certainly help.

Yesterdays race was quite simply awesome. Best race experience I've ever had. Mike seriously knows how to organise a race. Marshals everywhere, aid stations everywhere. Jelly Baby corner was great also, really enjoyed the banter every time I passed through. I took the time on my last lap to thank them for being there all day.

My race was fantastic. My goal was to run 8 laps in under 9 hours. I managed the full distance in 8 hours and 41 minutes. To say that I was happy is a huge understatement. Can't believe how much pain I ran through, even after all the work I'd done on my quads in training they started complaining during the 5th lap. By the 6th they were becoming vocal and on the 7th I was in serious trouble. But I pushed on and the pain got no worse. It was just a case of cracking on and ignoring the pain. The 8th lap went by in a blur of pain and sheer bloody mindedness.

The feeling from yesterday's race, I havn't felt in many years. I was so emotional. After the race I just kept crying over the silliest things once I got home. Bear in mind that I'm a bloke, I generally don't make a habit of ever crying but I cannot explain how I felt. I put so much into those final few lap, suffered some much pain but nevertheless, endured.

When I came past Jelly Baby corner for the last time I hit the road and couldn't stop myself from sprinting the last 3/4 of a mile. I reckon by the time I crossed the line I was 6 1/2 min mileing, I was utterly blasting along. I completely forgot the fact that my legs were killing me and just went for it.

Still feel totally stoked about the whole experience.Just awesome.

• Options
    Well done Flynn. Sounds like you had a cracking day!! Think you lapped me over on the concrete track by the main road (prob your last lap) but I wasn't sure enough it was you to say hi.
  • Options
    cheers Brit Nick.  you can find my race report on my blog page. so how about Devon 100 then Nick...fancy it?? be great to attempt it with you...  http://www.route27.co.uk/the-devon-100.html 39 entries accepted so only 11 spaces remain...
  • Options

Well done everyone.Great race, with a friendly atmosphere.

Oh yeah, the mountain was fine, ran up it every lap...just walked most of the rest of the lap image

• Options
    I made a point of walking up the hill each time and using it to have a gel and take onboard as much water as I could. The moment I reached the top I'd set of running again. I think that worked rather well. I couldn't see any benefit in using the extra energy to run up it.
  • Options
    I just wanted to get to the water station at the bottom each time, as i didn't carry any drink with me. I don't think that hill took as much out of me as the wind did, it seemed to get stronger every hour.
  • Options

Seems ike everyone had a great day on Sunday......  PH - fingers crossed for a speedy repair of your bruised quads.  UF - loved reading your first post after the race - you sounded so hyped up - bl00dy great.......I can full yunderstand how you felt (and I am sure so could most of us....esp those completing it for the 1st time!)

Back at work today and apart from a sore right foot - feel pretty much OK - cant say I have been out for a jog like PH, but will probably go out later in the week........

UF - apologies for not availing myself of any of the goodies on offer at JBC, but the support from you guys there was superb - so nice to see some familiar faces at the "aid stations". ((must admit though that the bacon butties smelt fantastic...just not sure I could have kept them down))

See you all in Feb for the Moonlight.......

• Options
    Ultra Kazzaaaaah!! wrote (see)
    Well done Flynn. Sounds like you had a cracking day!! Think you lapped me over on the concrete track by the main road (prob your last lap) but I wasn't sure enough it was you to say hi.

I really must get "UltraFlynn" printed on my hat somewhere. You couldn't miss me really, here's the key points:

- 6 foot 2 inches

- sweating profusely

- white hat on backwards with sunglasses on

- head down and toughing it out to the finish

Anyone know when the results and photo are getting published?

I'm going to do the Moonlight Challenge next year. 5 laps is going to feel a bit short now though.

• Options

The results are up now, 84 full distaance finishers! Didn't seem that many running.

Yeah, you lapped me too Ultraflynn, round the back of the course, as it goes from dirt to concrete, i pictured you being much older! image

• Options
    Congratulations to all you who did it - blinkin well done!
  • Options
    I'll be at Jelly Baby Corner for the Moonlight - any requests?image
  • Options

I had no idea what jelly baby corner was untill yesterday!

But seeing your green canopy every lap in the distance was heart warming, as it meant i was nearly back to the start, great support there, thanks! image

• Options

Here's the pics Flynn - linky thing

Can't work out the results - but it is a personal challenge, not a race!!

Flynn, that'd have been you then!  I was trying to remember you from last year's Halstead.

JFDI, wish I'd not missed the fact that you guys were at Jelly Baby Corner.  Not sure how I missed that - would have said hello rather than burble insanities as I waddled past each time!

• Options
    UK - we're not very good with faces or we would have yelled at you in person!  Gonna get a teeshirt printed with JFDI in BIG letters for the Moonlight - think I may have a bash at the 50 next year image  ssshhh don't tell MF7!
  • Options

I was with Hippo after her tumble and I should have put two and two together when we got to you and you obviously knew each other.  My brain turns to mush though when I run!!!

Think the Moonlight is beyond me.  I'm way too clumsy to tackle a trail course in the dark!  Will be back for the 50 again next year - have a time to beat now!

• Options
    Lardarse wrote (see)

The results are up now, 84 full distaance finishers! Didn't seem that many running.

Yeah, you lapped me too Ultraflynn, round the back of the course, as it goes from dirt to concrete, i pictured you being much older! image

Older! Really? Plenty of gray hair but only 37 years old. image I hope I wished you well as I ran past. I tried to do that to everyone I passed.

Ultra Kazzaaaaah!! Thanks for the links.

• Options
    BritNickBritNick ✭✭✭
    STUART BLOFELD wrote (see)
    cheers Brit Nick.  you can find my race report on my blog page. so how about Devon 100 then Nick...fancy it?? be great to attempt it with you...  http://www.route27.co.uk/the-devon-100.html 39 entries accepted so only 11 spaces remain...

Hi Stu,

That's a bit hardcore isn't it? Aid only every 15 miles and a 27-hour time limit????? I've never achieved that in the 1000 miles' worth of Hundreds I've completed. There again, none of them were on a cycle path. Hmmm, you've got me thinking. Could this be an opportunity for a big 100 PB??

Well done everyone on this 50 completion. I've enjoyed reading of your experiences and wish I'd been a part of it. It sounds like it was a real blast.

• Options

Blimey Ultraflynn, your older than me, but you look 10yrs younger!

• Options

wouldn't mind, but it's not as if i've had a hard life.

..oh yeah, you asked how i was doing as you passed thanks image

• Options

My wife maintains that I not only do I not look my age, I don't act it either. image

Woke up this morning and the quads are feeling much improved. I might just manage a little run today.

• Options
    Yeah i'm going for a little trot today, 30mins to an 1hr, see how it feels, i've no muscle aches or pains, but i might have after an hours running image
  • Options
    I managed 7 miles off-road and the quads are still hurting quite a lot. Great run though. Good to get out there again.
  • Options
    Powerplates class for me tonight - quads liked that one, NOT!!! image
  • Options
    A big thank you to all the Forumites who took part last Sunday. Maybe see some or all of you on Sunday 18th July 2010. Thanks again.