Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Flossie9 wrote (see)
    LB - are we sisters?  image  Sounds like my family and just think how much more time you would have spent in hospital if you hadn't taken your health into your own hands.  image

I think we must be Flossie! I'm the black sheep of the family....image

• Options
    HY4 - you've been very unlucky then?  Many years ago whilst walking on a normal pavement in London, a loose paving stone went over and I had heels on.  Achilles tendon rupture like an egg (not very pretty) - so know exactly what you're talking about.  image
  • Options
    LB - am afraid I'm the black sheep too image - let's raise a glass to us!   image
  • Options

Only officially invalid Flossie - not in my head image

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Flossie and LMH - I think everyone is learning about swine flu and it's treatment as we go along so not very easy to know what to do. Haven't had much exposure to it so far though have had some cases here - not really in my line of work. Agree that I don't really want the vaccine but there will probably be pressure on NHS staff to have it so we don't have time off ill!

LB - Of course we missed youimage

• Options

Evening all. I have a dilemma, what do you guys think?

I used to own a gorgeous bunny called Bilbo who sadly died 1 1/2 years ago. I was devastated and swore I'd never have another. Through a chance conversation with someone the other day I ended up on the SSPCA website and sneaked a look at the bunnies needing rehoming. I nearly fell off my chair as there was 'Bigwig' - a spitting image of Bilbo and 1 1/2 years old image Should I go investigate/adopt or stick to my guns??

• Options

LMH - image

Elspeth - that's a hard call for you.  Wouldn't want to be in your shoes and can see that you'd be put under pressure, but surely you have a choice in this world?  It's your body at the end of the day and they don't own you.  image

Mrs Mac - aaawww.  Bigwig needs a home and you love bunnies.  My friend said that about her little dog, Cassie.  She got over Cassie eventually and she now has Holly (another little dog), who incidentally needed rehoming.  Bilbo wouldn't want you to be unhappy and Bigwig has been put in front of you for a reason.  You've got to go with your heart and it doesn't matter what we think.  If you want Bigwig, go get him and send us a cute photo.  Before you go listening to me, I adore all animals.  image

• Options
    Thanks Flossie, so do I image
  • Options

Flossie - E had Tamiflu as a swine flu contact early on with absolutely no side effects. 

I have my flu jab every year and will be having this one as well.  OH has asthma and has had 2 bouts of pneumonia so anything to lessen the risk of bringing it into the house is worth it.

Been up to ITu this week to be updated in case us ex-ITU staff have to be used

• Options
    Mrs Mac - Go for the bunny - unless bunny sitting when you are away at races is an issueimage
  • Options
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mfVjnMG7kNA/R_qavTHG7OI/AAAAAAAAAIc/XkrX6aD_12g/s400/octoberfest.jpg

Cheers! image
    Flossie9 wrote (see)
    Nice one!  image
    Nice Jugsimage
  • Options
    LB - my mate has heard nothing about the death in the gym and has been in three times in the last 7 days. Nothing on the local news or guardian website
  • Options
    back to marathon training for me now 10 miles in 1hr 24 and legs feel fine, pity I couldnt do that at IMUK, will be entering leicester marathon now
  • Options

Go for the bunny Mrs M, you will give it a much needed home and it will give you a lot of pleasure (unless it has been misrepresented and is the killer bitey bunny from hell image)

Good going JP, you should be in great form for Leicester with all the biking as well as running.

Still away from home Dad-sitting, not sure when my mum will come home from hozzie - she may go to a rehab ward instead but on the other hand may get transitional care at home, depends on availability. She does have all her marbles but is finding uncertainty confusing and a bit distressing. Fortunately it all seems to wash over my Dad as long as we are here. Hopefully we will have a clearer picture soon and can do more practical things to put things in place for when she does come home. Game old bird though, really pushing herself through pain to use walker and do physio, makes marathon training look like a walk in the park!

• Options
    JPenno wrote (see)
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mfVjnMG7kNA/R_qavTHG7OI/AAAAAAAAAIc/XkrX6aD_12g/s400/octoberfest.jpg

Cheers! image
    Flossie9 wrote (see)
    Nice one!  image
    Nice Jugsimage
    *slaps*  image

Sluggie - your Mum sounds lovely and she'll make it.  Love it when they're like this...it's really heartening to hear.  image
  • Options
    JP - great going for 10 miles.  Sluggie's right, you'll be ready for Leicester.  Stop beating yourself up, there will be other triathlete events and you'll have your fuel and drinks at hand next time and you'll murder the previous time for sure.  image
  • Options
    Sparkly - believe me, E was lucky - Tamiflu doesn't agree with everyone.  Understand entirely why you're taking every precaution if OH has had pneumonia twice.  I take the flu jab every year too.  Everybody has a choice and it really depends on their circumstances.
  • Options

Morning!

Late night Flossie?

Mrs Mac - if you can and you want to then do!

We are fortunate in that we do have individual choice in this country. I am asthmatic and have a compromised immune system but seem to fare better with a healthy diet and lifestyle than flu jabs. It's possible that E had no ill-effects from Tamiflu as he wasn't already ill, we'll never know. What swayed me was the research from Japan that was published and widely available before the UK started dishing the stuff out.  On the other hand the research was mostly about the side effects on youngsters so it may be ok for most of us. Who knows, if I get ill I may change my mind!

JP - the endurance base you've built will serve you well for Leicester, just a word of caution, it can take longer to recover from the exertions of IM than you think so please keep a close eye on yourself and back off if necessary.

Sluggie - I've obviously missed some important and not good news, sounds as though you and your family are having a hard time. Thoughts are with you.

• Options

Sluggie, hope things sort themselves out for you soon.

LMH, how are you recovering?

JP, that's a great 10 mile time!

Thanks for the bunny advice, still swithering! Planning to run home from work tonight so I may be some time....have a good day all image

• Options
    Recovering well thank you Mrs Mac. I'm not good at this resting lark so just did 35 minutes on the mtb this morning. It's a lovely day here.
  • Options
    LMH - glad you had a nice bike ride.  Fancy a bike ride myself today - the weather is beautiful here too.  Received NF half marathon pack this morning - oooherr!  here we go again!  Actually rather glad it's arrived - the very bright techie neon yellow t-shirt arrived the other day image.  As much as I hate cold anything, want to try out ice cold baths for the legs after training for an hour or more - it might just be one of the answers.  BTW no achey nasties today after yesterday's 5 mile powerwalk, which means I can still go long.
  • Options
    Good news Flossie. I tried ice baths before my first marathon and were convinced they helped, didn't do them for  esecond though and noticed no difference and as I didn't enjoy the experience of sitting in a cold bath with a fleece on clutching a hot drink I now choose to take supplements instead and hope they do as good a job!
  • Options
    LMH - do you mind me asking what supplements you use, please?  image
  • Options
    Not in the slightest. I've been taking Glucosamine for a while - from Healthspan, non-shellfish based  - and am adding rose hip (anti-inflammatory) and chronium (to help regulate blood sugar). I also take a multi-vit and iron.
  • Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Little Miss - You are too modest.  The bottom line is you were there.  Not many of us will ever have the ability to represent our country at something, and you have, so you should be very satisfied in what you have achieved.

Flossie - You ARE able to exercise "at your age".  Age is a state of mind to a certain degree I think, and I think you agree with me.  Put it like this, when I was marathon-fit, I was fitter than I'd ever been. 

As for Tamiflu, I read that someone in Leicester has died as they were prescribed Tamiflu for Swine Flu.  She collapsed 12 hours later and died shortly after in hospital.  It turned out that she had meningitis, not Swine Flu.

Liverbird - Welcome back.  Sorry to hear the injury still isn't sorted.

-------------------

Sadly, I've only been for one run this week through lack of time and it was awful!  I got a good hilly bike ride done though on Tuesday. 

• Options
    That is a case of misdiagnosis though rather than Tamiflu being the cause
  • Options
    Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)
    JP - the endurance base you've built will serve you well for Leicester, just a word of caution, it can take longer to recover from the exertions of IM than you think so please keep a close eye on yourself and back off if necessary.

LMH - on the basis that I ran walked the last 16 miles of IMUK (due to stomach cramps and not endurance, muscle or injury problems)  and didnt hammer the bike, I dont think I took too much out of my system. RHR is back to normal so seems to be ok.

I am getting Ironman tattoo done tomorrow so will be a few days enforced rest anywayimage

• Options
    I'll colour you in with a felt tip for free.....image