Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options

My last run was yesterday 7.15 pm.  Club run in Sleaford, about 5.4 miles.  I ran with Mandy again who knows the routes and just about runs at the same pace as me.  I got completely and utterly confused by the twists and turns in the route yet again!  I'm really enjoying this club running lark and have been cajolled into many races already .....

idiot youths shouting "knees up girls" - 4

fish and chop shops - 3

unicorns - 0

jog watch - about 30

• Options

Hello. image  Can I join in?

My last run was as far ago as Tuesday with my fast partner trying to keep up with him on a 5 miler - he was trying to slow down for me!  I called it undulating.  He called it rolling. image

I'm doing a 5 mile cross country race tomorrow (I'm a bit scared!) so plan an easy run this morning in preparation.

Love the "jogwatch" - none on the Tuesday run but loads of school kids - surprisingly no abuse from them! Will keep my eyes open for joggers today - I have a theory that the ones with IPods don't say hello so I'll test that out later!

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Yes, of course!  Great name btw, and a big welcome to MLR

Cross country's one of the purest forms of running, I think, although when I'm calf deep in clinging mud, I generally revise that view lol.  Hope you have a super race, CC, and be sure to post how you did image

Yesterday, 0630.  Superb conditions: dry after some drizzle, warm at 9 deg. C and a cooling S. breeze.  Took the quiet roads from Waterloo to Blundellsands, past the rugby club and back over the train line to Crosby Baths.  After that, risked the gloomy cycle path to Marine Gardens and home.

5.6 Miles, 48:52, JogWatch: 2, Milkman on collision course Watch: 1 image

• Options

Well - I did my pre-race run - which wasn't quite as easy as I meant it!  I did some strides - though I'm never sure if I'm doing them right! image  So - 4 miles done and race tomorrow - which I anticipate will be hilly and muddy!

Bikes 2 (I was running on a walking/cycling path) of which I knew 1.  Collisions 0 image

• Options

6 miles for me this morning.  I wasn't keen on going out as it was very windy, but at least the rain kept offimage.  Just went down the old A6 to Chorley hospital and back which was a bit boring but as they say, it's miles in the bank. My legs didn't feel too good after the Friday night yoga session and a hilly rep session at the gym on Saturday, so the time was really slow.  1hr 8 mins.  I've entered quite a few races leading up to the Paris marathon so I'm sure that will help me with improving my times.  I don't want to make the same mistakes I made in the run up to London last year.

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Should've posted yesterday, but didn't.  So here I am.  Got one of those HRM thingies.  A polar, so I could have a play.  I have this idea that I'm going to do some training according to Hadd, which is basically loads and loads of easy, HR paced running until nearer the next race.  I tried a stress test on Friday, but don't think I got a sensible MHR possibly because I'd raced a Half the Sunday before.  So I'm going on calculated MHR, and will do another stress test in a week or so to get a better fix.

Anyway, so yesterday I set off for a 9.5 miler but with my new toy set to keep me in the 130-145 zone - a fairly wide zone because I figure it will take me some time to get used to this style of training and to understand my pacing and exertion levels.  What I found out fairly quickly is that, contrary to my training to date, uphill is suddenly your best friend and downhill your worst enemy!  This is because you can walk uphill and keep a high HR, which is restful and easy, but to keep your HR up on the downhills you really have to pour on the pace!  Thanks to having such a wide HR band, I managed to spend all but ten minutes of eighty in the correct zone.  From now on I will tighten the zone, and be more precise in following Hadd's plan - from tomorrow.

It was really good weather for a run yesterday, cool and the occasional spit of rain.  The roads were quiet, and there weren't many out at the time I ran - late afternoon, before it became too dark.  Not sure how to get used to the really dark early evenings that start from today...  Early morning runs?

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Can't beat the weekday pre-dawn run, Ratzer - sets me up for the day and gives a smugness and warmth when I see my more sedentary colleagues.  And once it's done, it's done image

Yesterday: 3.7 miles round Waterloo & Crosby, steady enough but definitely felt 'end of the week-ish'.   V. windy overnight & this a.m., so I'll be running late today lol 

• Options

lordy - that was hard work!

Stiff breeze, which is great for drying the washing, less good for the running. Ache just about everywhere right now. Woke up with back stiffer than usual and it didn't ease up once I got going, Thursday's blister is still tender, and I suspect I have been walking unevenly to ease it, as the outsides of both calves are very tight.

Cut it short, just 2.6 miles in a very steady 33:04, and that included walking twice!

Jogwatch - 1 (a nodder)
    Bikewatch - 4 (might have been 3, one of them twice)
    Dogwatch - 5

• Options
    I totally failed to race today as seem to have come down with a stomach bug.  So I (or rather my other half) drove fellow runners to and from the race and we stood and cheered them on which distracted me from feelings sorry for myself.  I've really lost the running bug since Birmingham Half and need to get back on it ASAP - the race was meant to kick start me.image
  • Options

Back and showered from my LSR which wasnt quite as slow as it should of been!!image

Good running weather, mild temp and with a fresh breeze to keep me cool!! Set of as usual but diverted to increase the milage and then back on the same loop (tour de Warrington). Wearing my corrective inserts for the 1st time and the felt the difference. NO calf pain really whatsoever, tiny bit of achy legs but nowt major which i'm quite happy about as its the 1st time ive ever ran 7 miles!!image

I could'nt of done that a month ago so the schedule's working I reckon!!

7.13 Miles in 1:01:34 @ 8:37m/m avg.image

JOGWATCH a big fat 0 (not surprised now)!!

• Options

Worksop half today. All i'd heard was that after the first four miles it's nice and flat then downhill to the finish, so took it easy for the first few miles then upped the pace a bit. Unfortunately someone neglected to mention the uphill at the halfway point that carried on for a mile and a half - this took it out of the legs, and from there on it was a case of dragging myself round. Had to stop and walk a couple of times as every time there was a hill after that i just went backwards. Very grateful for that downhill ending. Got me a pb anyhow, but would like to enjoy my races a little more than the last four miles of this one.

13.1m in 2.08.23

• Options
    Congrats on the PB, Hanna.  Great time. image
  • Options

thanks chocolate - shame about your race, but there will be others!

oh and jogwatch was about 1500 today!

• Options

Today was the Haltemprice 10K for me today.  A very dry, mild but windy day.  The start of this race is a nice down hill section but after getting to the first round -a-bout its a long slog uphill and in the wind today it felt hard at times.  The run then levels off as you go into Swanland (very big houses to look at as you run past) and then as you come back out of Swanland we finally get to run back down the big hill.  However just before the final approach there is a mini round-a-about and there is a short sharp hill that really saps your strength.  Once round the final corner a nice down hill section to the finish.  My time today was 47mins and 27secs.  My Garmin had measured the route as 6.42 miles (10.34km) which meant that my average pace today was measured at 7.23min/miles.  Race souvenir was another mug which will join my others at work Enjoyed the run today considering the windy weather.

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Decent time for a demanding course, Hanna - well run image

Hmm, Short Stop, quite a bit over 6.21 miles, so your time is even more impressive and I think there's better still to come. image

4pm and I'd put off running because of a boisterous NW wind.  Still, worked my way yup through Crosby & Blundellsands by side roads, then off road round Sniggery Wood [Love that name image]  and through the picturesque village of Little Crosby.  Picked up the Wood Wall footpath around Crosby Hall and ran a figure-of-eight  into L. Crosby and back along Dibb Lane track in the half light image.  Fought the wind to the Coastguard Station and thanked it for its help down the beach to the baths by moonlight.  Westward View cycle track and the Waterloo side roads took me over the footbridge & home.  Really enjoyed this run, as it was within my capacity and I simply made up the route quite randomly as time passed.

10.2 miles, 1:30:19, JogWatch: 1

• Options

Another speedy run Shortstop & welcome CC-hope the bug clears quickly! KatB what was the 'mistake' you made with London? I think I've got our club place so need to know how to do my best!

1st x-country run in the winter league today, didn't know what to expect as it is my 1st season running - took off at a stupid pace thinking it was 'only 2 or 3 miles' but wow doesn't the mud slow you down & sap your strength! Hung on as I had a local girl on my tail to finish in 20th ladies place (the chaps had to go further).

jogwatch about 100-150 I think

• Options

thanks Swittle - if Worksop is demanding, how does the Clowne half compare? I've heard it is hillier.... Think some serious hill training to be done in the next five weeks!

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Hi, Hanna.  I ran Clowne a couple of times a few years ago and I'd say it was undulating rather than hilly.  That said, it's often the longer, drawn out gradients that take their toll on me, rather than a short, sharp steep climb.  Both years I ran Clowne, the weather was uninviting, to say the least, but the roads were quiet and the organsation efficient, with super, warm showers at a school close to the finish and a social club for rehydrating image
  • Options

Marlow here I come

24/10/09 - 8.35m - 1'16'29
    My right heel is feeling like it has a red hot poker shoved in it at the moment. Fed up because they are new shoes. But I have to keep going because it's the Marlow Half next week.I had a blast this morning though, I did enjoy my riun a lot. I didn't push myself at all I just went out for a run. I did consider going for 11 at Rock Road but decided to leave the long run until tomorrow. So I went out in the dark and avoided the gas works down my road and ran in the road up until halfway down Windspor when confronted by a bus. No way I was taking a chance in it swerving past me so I jumped up on teh pavement. Jumped back on the road straight after then rond the roundabout and up to past Sonia's. Then the usual route. Reaching Bridge point 10'29. This was leisurely. Easy up Swakeleys reaching the lights 9'56. At the A40 I deliberated whether to run down into Uxbridge or run the A40. Crossing over the zebra I made the decision to run A40, the split 10'30, mmm. Bit wary running along here in the dark, especially the slip road off, running on the tiny hard shoulder. Along the Oxford Road to the point 9'56. I knew I was running quite comfortably, Riunning under the whirly bridge is when I decided to cut it a 8+ instead of 11, but I did consider it.My split at Colham Road was 9'51.Running along Whitehall was nice, all in the road except past the Brick where I dodged a car. All the way along Greenway to Kingston point 9.00 I tried to run hard up Hilly Hill reaching the chippy 6.5, the library 6.43 but the answer was the final split. Over three minutes (3.05) but I can do better.

Jog Watch of measely one

• Options
    ta swittle. i'd agree with you on the long slow climbs, it's just too flat round me, was fine with the hills til about mile nine, think my endurance is there and the hills are do-able on the shorter runs, but the combination of longer distances with hills is where i come unstuck. at least i've company for the Clowne run, should keep my mind off any hills.
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Ye, Hanna, a well chosen word or three usually works wonders - I reckon you'll do just fine. image

0630 Drizzly but less wind, so I set out with 5 miles in mind. Early on, I felt rather drained after yesterday's longer effort and ought to have cut it short. Still, I soldiered on round Waterloo & Crosby with a big tour of Victoria Park and a trip to the grassy expanse not far from the promenade.

5 miles, 42:40, JogWatch: 0

• Options
    Hi everyone, my first post. I did 8 miles yesterday morning. Difficult at times with the wind but I got around in 63 minutes. I chose a hilly route as I am preparing for the Clowne half in 5 weeks. Longer drags rather than steep climbs, in the 2nd half of the run. Followed with a good gym session this morning with some interval training. I will be upping it to 9 miles on Friday morning. Will post again after that, hope you all have a good week. 
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Hi, johny fp, and welcome to 'My Last Run' - Hanna's running the Clowne HM too.  Good pace for your 8-miler in those conditions - well run! image
  • Options
    Hi swittle and thanks for your kind words image I am still very inexperienced. I did the GNR for charity and simply got the running bug. Clowne will be my third race as I ran in the Southport 10k. Very much looking forward to it. 
  • Options

Good luck with the training Johny fp.

Only a relaxed 5 mile round the block for me at 8am as have been doing lots of club tempo/ races/ hill reps & my legs are feeling very tired. Was nice to just be by myself & take in the fresh air without having to talk. 

Jog watch - 0

• Options

Camlo my main mistake was not entering enough races on the lead up to the marathon. Also, I think I needed extra speed sessions outside instead of on the treadmill.  I spent far too much time in the gym where it was warm and although I did the lsr's religiously, i really needed extra hill reps and interval training outside to increase my overall speed on the day.  

• Options

Well that was most exciting - first run with my nice shiny new Alpkit head torch. So excitied about trying it out that I forgot to put my watch on!

Normal route is an out & back with a square in the middle that I run 2 sides of on the way out and the other two on the way back. Got to the split point to day and I could see that they'd been ploughing the fields I run across. The foot path usually gets trodden back in quite quickly, but there was no trace of it today. Didn't fancy running across a ploughed filed - I've tried it once and it's not pleasant - so went the other way in both directions. Reckon there must be a problem on the main road as I passed ~ 10 cars in the short stretch  that my route involves. It's never usualy that busy. the recent rain and farm traffic has broken up the byway surface in places, so it was quite muddy in parts. The grassed areas were relatively OK, it was just where the tracks had turned over soil that the mud was a problem. Came home with half a field attached to my shoes anyway. All in all a much better run than Sunday's was. Still having trouble with the blister, I think the insoles are not working out for me. Took of the compeed today and it's still a nasty looking raw patch. Will see how it feels, but might be about to stick a new one back on.

Head torch was pretty impressive. Had it on main beam for most of the run, as most of it is offroad and unlit. I know the route fairly well and it's not hugely uneven, so wasn't too taxing. It is quite a flat, almost grey, light, so the depth of the rutts turned in the muddy areas were not always quite apparent. it seemed most difficult to tell how deep the rutts were when the whole area was the same colour. I can see what people mean about getting tunnel vision, I did feel myself becomming unaware of my surroundings and getting sucked into that little puddle of light in front of my feet. There is a need to remember to move your head, not just your eyes, in order to see where you're going, which might take some time to get used to. I was slightly surprised at how steady it was, I thought my head moved more than it appears to. I think this might also help my downhills, as I have to lean forward in order to light the ground in front of my feet in order to see where I'm going!  

4.1 miles in approx 45 minutes.

Jogwatch - 0
    Dogwatch - 3
    Farmerwatch - 1 tractor ploughing

• Options

Yesterday's run was a club speed session - 5.5 miles of short speed work - lamposts, relays - felt hard as I've just gone up a group, so at the back the whole time!  But a friendly welcoming crowd so it was better than expected.image

Dogwatch - 2 with a bemused couple of owners as we kept running past them, and 1 big one that wanted to join in!

Bikewatch - 2 teenagers who hadn't a clue where to go!

• Options
    After Sunday's 10K it was back down to club tonight and I even managed to get my son to come down tonight.  We met up at the lighthouse before having a nice gentle jog around the housing estate and then on to another housing estate to do our main session.  We did a gentle lap of the estate as a warm up before starting the main session.  First of all we did the full circuit (approx 450m) and then a steady recovery run.  We then did a circuit and a half followed by a recovery before going on to do two full circuits followed by two circuits of recovery.  We then reversed what we had just done, so we did two circuits and a recovery, then one and a half circuits and recovery before finally finishing off with a full circuit before jogging back to the lighthouse.  Pleased with my session tonight as my last circuit was done in the same time as my first circuit so nice and consistent.  image