Options

Sub 3:30 - VLM 2010

Comments

• Options

Very amusing Oompa - made me chuckle. In fact just what I needed as feeling a little down at the mo. My half didn't go well yesterday. Had to stop a couple of times due to very painful toes, was going to drop out, but figured I should at least just get the miles in. Got round in a very disappointing 1.40. Some general life stuff getting me a bit down at mo, so probably wasnt in right frame of mind either...plus I seem to have developed a cold today so perhaps my body just wasn't up to it yesterday! Anyway, its all just excuses...the fact is it wasn't good enough!

Came away thinking should I bother with London....but Ill bounce back im sure!image

Hope everyone elses LSRs went well, with or without the alcohol.

• Options
    Well done on making it round the full 20. Had a laugh at the booze and energy gels as well!

12 miles for me yesterday in 1:41:42. was fairly uneventful. Got 5 miles on Tuesday, 8 miles on Wednesday and 20 on Friday, then I start my taper with a week in Tenerife. And I can't wait because it's now started to snow again in Central Scotland!
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Well done Oompa and thanks for the chuckle.

I’m very pleased to have run 23 miles in 3:08 which makes me very confident of breaking 3:30 in Belfast. I did find it tough over the last 5 miles when I increased the pace to just under 8 min/mile. For some weird reason my bum cheeks went a bit numb near the end!

• Options

Hi guys sorry to intrude on you blog but I really need help and advice and you all sound like you could provide this.

I am running the Great Welsh Mara a week before you run VLM but 2 weeks ago while running an easy 4 miler on treadmill, 3.8 into it got terrible calf strain the day before my 22 miler.  Needless to say could not run this and managed to get physio appointment.  He advised me to do nothing but use a cross trainer for 15 minutes on the 5th day after injury and forget marathon plans.  Obviously got second opinion.  Ended up using cross trainer 3 times that week one session 1 hr 45 mins long (nightmare).  8 days later everything felt great was advised to try easy 11/2 run on flat, disaster within 5 minutes 2 definite pops in lower left leg and excruciating pain unable to even walk.  After being picked up and taken to casualty by my mum (you can imagine the ear ache!!) I was told I had grade 2 tear at musculotendinous junction.  Doctor (who can through sports route) prescribed intense physio, forget welsh mara and go for Prague mara ( which I intend doing 3 weeks after Welsh) 10 days rest then aqua jog.

I rested the whole week got sports massage and ultra sound on Wednesday and on day 8 went for 8km on treadmill easy to try it out (recommended by sports massage therapist who is great 10km runner himself).  It went brilliantly, no pain, no stiffness today.

So the big questions - do i run today and if so how far and can I do it outside.

Also do you think I can run the Welsh mara ( I was trying to get PB of under 3.30, did 1st mara Dublin 2009 in 3.30. 32 secs).  Sports massage man says yes.  Obviously I want to run it but I also want to make Prague.  I have missed 3 long runs, but previous to injury I had run at least 3, 20 to 23 milers.  I realise I have to forget PB but could I get round without causing more damage.

Please help.

• Options

Hi freckles11

I'm no expert and am no seasoned runner... but i'll add my two-pennies worth until someone else pops in - partly also because i'm having a few causes for concern of my own.

Firstly i'd say in terms of running you need to be careful and be sensible - see how you go and stop if anything's not right.

With regards to running today, i'd be tempted to go out but with a few 'get out clauses' along the route to bail out if things don't feel right. You could perhaps go out with an initial view to run 15mins and if it feels ok push on for a bit longer or several miles. It's difficult, but i'd say I think it's also important to reign yourself in this close to the marathon - I was/am gradually building back up to full fitness after a knee problem and ran 8miles the other day - felt I could've run more at the end and it felt quite easy but didn't want to push my luck and thought i'd save it for another day. Sadly my run yesterday went up in flames but will try again today.

Regarding doing the mara, you've done some good long runs, so the time on your feet is there - so you should make it round if the injury doesn't restrict you. Obviously there's always a risk you may not make it - but if you can make it to the start line and am prepared to give it a go, then just do you're best - you can always pull out around the course, even the professionals do, from time to time. Lastly your mara is three weeks away and because you've lost time i'd be tempted to pinch a few days out of the taper - you haven't trained hard recently because of the injury so don't need as much of a recovery as long as you keep the training nice and slow.

Bambi: Chin-up, you've done some awesome runs lately, just a minor setback and a bad day at the office... put this to one side and stay strong for London.

Badbark: Awesome 23 - would be ideal for me if I can stay fit.  

• Options

Hi,

hope everyone's training is progressing well. Doing Maidenhead 10 miler on Fri then long run (aiming for 23- gulp! on the Monday) before beginning taper.

Annoyingly and worryingly an injury has developed whereby I seem to have pulled a muscle at the top of my left leg such that I get a painful, burning localised sensation when I move it in a certain way. I did my normal 10mile tempo run night and was relieved that my leg held up fine for this and it is more a problem when I start moving after period of rest - ie. sitting at my desk or getting up in the morning. Has anyone experienced smiliar or got any thoughts on this?

Every race I have done so far this year I have met somene from this thread so do give me a shout if you are running in Maidenhead this weekend image

Thanks,
    Dave.

• Options
    Thanks Lamkjo - can't believe how quickly it is suddenly coming round now!image
  • Options

Hi all,

A bit late joining this thread but I'm also aiming for sub-3:30... half mara PB only 1:39 set in January, everyone else seems to be a bit quicker but I'm hoping that I'll scrape it (or of all else fails, only be a few minutes over)

Training all going well so far, this is my 7th marathon so hopefully things I've learned along the way will help in 3 1/2 weeks! Did my longest training run so far on Saturday, 22 miles in 3:05. Planning a 20 this weekend, then got Blackpool half on 11th April, then it'll be taper madness! Typical week averages 45 miles, including: Mon 5 mile recovery, Tues hill training (6ish miles) Wednesday 10 miler @ 8mm pace, Thursday usually circuit training class but run the mile to/from here, Friday intervals session on treadmil (total 4/5 miles) Saturday long run, Sunday REST!

Not liking the amount on injured peeps on here though, hoping I'm not now doomed image

• Options

Hi guys

Hope all are coping ok with various injuries and niggles etc,  it's been mentioned before but try and stay positive and keep things in perspective however frustrating it may seem now,  there will always be other days to achieve targets on,  which will make it even   more satisfying having got through the harder times now.

Welcome freckles & carrot
    Freckles - I'm quite suprised with a grade 2 tear you're back running like that after just one massage / ultrasound session (maybe I'm just a slow healer when I injur like that!).  I'd suggest aiming at Prague as your PB attempt which will give you time to have incorporated your 2 weeks break in training and still get some more decent work in beforehand.  No problem with running Great Welsh 3 weeks before just use it as a training run to get some more long, slower miles in which should mean you don't then have to recover for as long after and taper for as long before Prague.

Carrot - good luck,  see how Blackpool goes and take it from there,  what's your mara pb at the moment?

Thought I was going to join the thread sicklist as had really sore knee / groin after running North Downs Way on Sunday,  'twas very muddy and i think I just ached loads having had to work so hard to keep upright.  Gentle bike, swim and run so far this week seems to have done the trick and things have eased considerably.  Last long run on Monday at about 3 hrs (working all weekend unfortunately) and then start to ease things back in terms of mileage but still keeping some sharper stuff in their each week.  I think I also owe my legs a massage which I best book.

Enjoy the next few days training before taper starts image

• Options

Jaffa, best time so far is 3:42 set at Blackpool this time last year (same event as the half I'm doing, just doing the one lap this time round image) So aiming pretty high with sub 3:30, but here's hoping the last year's training will pay off! Bad times working the weekend, hopefully you'll be fully recovered ready for your last LSR on Monday though.

Freckles did you get outside for a run to see how the calf held out?

• Options
    Hi guys, me again!

Had some good news from my Physio regarding my Achilles injury, apparently the way I managed it was pretty much spot on. He also reckons that the 7 days of complete rest shouldn't affect my race to badly although sub 3:30 might be a tad optimistic.

Seems that the cause of the injury was many fold, incorrect footwear, increased mileage/ intensity and not stretching properly.

One thing I thought was worth mentioning here was that for the first time I'm using acupuncture to treat the injury. The treatment includes deep muscle massage, stretching all the calf muscles and sticking needles in my legs. I have to say, I'm well pleased with the treatment.

Happy running!
  • Options

HMHK - Good to hear that you're on the mend.

Just ticked off my last LSR. Was meant to be 22M according to the RW schedule, but lots of people have told me that this seems excessive only 3 weeks away from VLM, so only did 18.

Now resting up as i've been roped into running for my club on Tuesday... only 4M so should be a good bit of speedwork.

Hope everyone's running well... Taper starts next week... yeehah !!!!!!!!!

• Options

Good news HMHK!

Looks like your the first one to the taper (or the first one posting to be in taper-time).

I thought i'd give myself the option of the LSR today with a fallback to Sunday if need be. Stomach didn't feel too good at 5M (bit too much lunch and sweets the day before) so decided to put back the LSR to Sunday - jogged in for an unexciting 10M. Additonally thought i'd give my lightweight runners a try on an LSR (done a Half in them to be fair), also put the orthotics in. Not really convinced they're the way to go for me. Anyone going with a lighter trainer for VLM? or is that something you only think about when gunning for 2:45 or something?

• Options
    lamjko, I'm now in taper-time as well. Completed 20.3 miles this morning in 2:51. It was fairly tough but really glad I managed it. Off to Tenerife at 0630 tomorrow morning to begin my taper with a week of warm weather training!

I hope everyone who has there last lsr planned for this weekend manages to complete them successfully.
  • Options
    Oompa I reckon you'll be ok with that diastance, I don't think another two miles will make all that difference on the day. Also, it was the 22 miler that killed me tendon.

Thanks for the positive words guys, seems like we've all been through the wars one way or another. Yes, I've been forced to taper a week earlier than I intended but I went out for a very easy 5 miles today and had to really hold myself back. I'm absolutely rearing to go! I'm aiming to do a 10 miler sometime next week as long as my Achilles continues to hold up. Otherwise I'm just concentrating on staying fit and fresh!

I cannot wait untill the 25th now!

• Options

LS: Good news for you, good run and enjoy your hols... something i'm desperately in need of.

Perhaps they'll be opportunities for a small, how not to prepare for an LSR again without actually having to do one this time. Imagine you're gone now anyhow as your post states.

Anyhow gotta go, Easter weekend calls.

Till later folks. 

• Options

Just did my last LSR - was going to go with oompa's advice of not doing 22 M but with 20 M being my max so far and fear of hitting the dreaded wall after 20 M on the big day, decided that psychologically I needed to do more than 20.  Completed 22 M in 3 hrs 2 mins was knackered but could have carried on running ( last mile was a 7. 53 min/mile) - think perhaps the collection of flies and midges that i INHALED AND SWALLOWED  whilst running around draycote reservoir 4 1/2 times (yawn) may have given me the extra carbs to carry on!

Taper time - hurrah. 

Happy tapering and happy easter all, Mel.

• Options

Hope everyone is enjoying the Easter weekend so far image

Got my last long run done yesterday morning, a nice sloooow 20 miler in 2:55, mostly off road and on a gorgeous morning. Legs feel good today, to be honest my upper body is aching more from the weights session I did on Thursday night! Rest today, easy 5 miler tomorrow recovery.

For the first time I'm actually looking forward to this taper, maybe will have changed that view in a week and a half or so when I'm going nuts from the reduced mileage!

• Options

22 miler done in 3:15 yesterday. felt great could easily of added another 4 miles on.

Less than 3 weeks to go!  time to eat some more chocolate image

• Options
    Maidenhead 10 on Fri in 1:08 and a bit - didn't pace it well and was in pain for the last 2 whilst loads of people overtook me image

Today, was quite apprehensive about my last long run prior to taper but it went brilliantly and did 23.2 in 3:06 and could have definitely done 3 more at 8:00 min miles to hit the magic 3:30 so absolutely delighted image

That said, it did make me realise how some days you feel so much better than others and I am fervently hoping that the 25th April will be one of those days! On that note, would like some favourable weather also - overcast and cool.

Best of luck to everyone on this thread! The race seems to have come round quite quickly....
  • Options

Good stuff DB9, image  any taper should help you have your body ready for 25th April so definitely take the upside out of that final LSR today.

I got my last LSR out of the way today as well having been working all weekend so little time to get it done beforehand.   Was tired before I started so went out with HRM on only,  no watch or Garmin SDM.  Fairly steady all the way round,  managed 20.7 miles in 2:59 (avg 8m40s pace) with the final 4 miles done at about 8m15s pace,  fairly happy with that.    I feel a bit undercooked in terms of pace going into this Marathon to be honest but have put some good base work down so am just hoping that a consistent pace will stand me in good stead.

Enjoy the taper guys,  I'm still going to have a reasonable week's training this week in terms of cross training but the longer runs will come down to about 15-16 next weekend and 10 the week before. 

• Options

Hi all, my training has been a bit hit and miss over the last couple of weeks due to starting a new job.

Got out a few times over the Easter weekend and I completed my last long run yesterday. Did just over 21 miles in 2.47. I felt ok generally and am sure I could have put another 5 miles at a similar pace.

The only slight worry is a very odd feeling in my left foot. Its around the toes but its not so much pain as a rather strange sensation. Its difficult to pinpoint but its probably more big or 2nd toe area and on the forefoot. Its not always present when running, I often feel it when driving and using the clutch. Its almost like pressure from the ball of my foot coming through. Does that make sense? probably not but as I said its difficult to define. Any suggestions as to what is is are welcome.

• Options
    Morning everyone... sounds like things are generally going well and everyone is looking forward to the taper. I have not had a good few weeks and have been debating whether to defer...... issues with my toes, cough/cold and a non running issue have all resulted in a lack of training and left me feeling a little down in the dumps. Mentally feel its all gone to pot a little image However, realise I need to snap out of it! Managed 20 in 2.46 yesterday so would be a waste not to at least have a go - like you Jaffa I am lacking any pace, so I will be seeking out an 8 minute mile pacer and hope that an even paced race will get me round image
  • Options

Another run done today, 7 x 800m with 100m rests. All went well and foot feels fine. Not sure what it was, I've revently got a new car so it could just be the difference in driving positions & clutch - I've done a lot of miles in it recently.

Really looking forward to the 25th now, I'm a ballot place runner but thinking of aligning mysely to a charity - but which one?? There are so many worthy causes that its almost imposible to choose. I'm fortunate enough not to have been touched by a tradegy that has led to an affinity to a particular causeso its just a case of picking the one I think is most importnat to me - so difficult.

Anyone else thinking of doing this? anyone got any experience of running for charity and if it makes for a better race experience? Let us know what you think.

Hope everyone esle is enjoying the reducing mileage, keep us all updated on progress.

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Dan, if you’re going to run for a charity you should set up a Just Giving page which makes it easy for people to donate if they have internet access.

I struggled in my last marathon but kept thinking of the people who had sponsored me to drive me to the finish. The downside of running for charity is that I couldn’t help but take it personally, when the majority of my friends in Facebook didn’t sponsor me.image

• Options

hi people... just checking in on the thread quickly - should be studying... never was a good student!

Race day's coming close now and hopefully the training over the past 3 months will see me through to something i'm happy with. Training's been a bit hit and miss of late and not really happy with where i'm at - last 'major' long run on Sunday was a mare, supposed to be 22, managed 18 - was a real struggle and legs have only started to ease today.

Badbark... don't get me started on facebook friends not sponsoring you!

Good luck and cheers for now.

• Options

Ditto the Facebook issue for me last year!!

We will do it Lamkjo....I reckon its 90%(ish?!!) mental attititude now...the taper will help us recover and the crowds help pull us round!

• Options
    lamkjo, have done a few long runs like that. Fingers crossed we all have good runs on the day although as Bambi said, the crowds will help greatly....
  • Options
    Bambi - Your doing fantastic ! 20 miles in under 2:50 sounds on track to me I'm sure you can get a great time on the 25th image Save the pace for the day.

10 miles tonight felt great.

Getting really excited with just over 2 weeks to go.
    An easy 18 miles on Sunday.

I have been reading about carb loading the day before and 7g carbs per kg body weight has been suggested. What do you think?
  • Options

Hi all

Jayos Think the carb loading is one of the key things to get right in the few days before the big race and 7g per Kg body weight seems feasible - the rw suggestions on what to eat in order to reach that  was really useful.

Can't believe its so close now and those weeks of training will be put to the test.  Am starting to get a little anxious now but really excited too!

Bedbark and Lamkjo - facebook friends not buying into the sponsorship lark .................................... I know it all too well. I have a ballot place but have raised money for charity anyway and it has been tougher than the actual training itself.  GFA place hopefully next year and if so will give the fundraising a break.

Steady 10 miler today accomplished as per rw training plan despite the burton dassett hills to contend with so all is well on the training front.

Count down is on and cant wait, will be lost once its over and think post race blues may be an issue.

Mel.