Options

More money

Comments

• Options
    smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am running for the Stroke Association as they have been a huge help to my family.  My Nan died from a stroke in 2006, and then in 2007 my Sister in Law, who was just 44, suffered a stroke.  Thankfully my brother spotted from a text message that something wasn't right and rushed home to find her haemorrhaging badly.  After lots of tests the doctors were unable to determine whether the blood loss caused the stroke or the stroke caused the blood loss, but the outcome was that my Sister in Law was a shadow of her former self.

The Stroke Association offered her lots of help and advice and over time she made a full recovery, other than the fact that she no longer drinks you would never know that anything had happened.

The support she received from the Stroke Association helped both her and my brother to come to terms with what had happened and the changes they needed to make in life.

I would be really grateful of any helps towards my fundraising.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/sarahsmarathon2010

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

It's the last day to tell us about your charity and why you're running.  Remember there is over £100 available to add to your fundraising total.  I've heard rumours that some people aren't posting their story because they don't think this is genuine.  I can assure you that it is 100% genuine.

I hear about far too many people who run for a charity just because they can get a place or the charity wants the smallest donation.  We're not going to give those people the money.  Instead we're going to give it to someone who has a real connection to their charity.  A charity that has helped them in a time of need, that has helped save the life of a loved one or a charity that you have been volunteering for and whose aims you really believe in.  So please post your story and make sure you add your Just Giving link so other forumites can donate some cash.

• Options

I'd like to echo what Mister W said

The £26.20 I will donate is genuine, but you might have to wait till Friday (payday)

• Options
    That would be a pity if we missed a great story because they thought it was not genuine. Even if there was no money involved, what's the harm in sharing? image It might just inspire a reader to donate...you never know.
  • Options
    This is 100% genuine as far as I'm concerned and I know enough about some of the others who have pledged to know they don't do this kind of thing lightly - once Mr W has made the decision my money will be on your just giving page an hour after; if you don't have a just giving page I'll find some other way of getting the money to you.

In fact if Mr W doesn't pick a certain person who I've already chosen to support - they will still get a donation from me on the side (So to speak!)

Ignore the rumour mongers
  • Options
    I am running for Macmillan Cancer Support on the 25th April. My Grandma died a couple of years ago as she had lung cancer (non smoker too!) Macmillan nurses made her very comfortable in her final weeks. My God father also died last year after trying to fight prostate cancer and, again Macmillan nurses were there every day in the last weeks to offer their support and make him smile. He, too was a keen runner when he was younger and handed me his much loved stop watch (from the 1940's) before he died and told me to look after it and use it for my running, bless him.

My husband also was a cancer sufferer. One day he woke up with a huge lump in his right armpit. A few days later, when it hadn't gone away he went to the GP who said it was probably glandular fever and would need a blood test. When we were told there was a 3 week wait, we went for a second opinion. He was sent for a scan immediately and we were sat down and told the devastating news that he had cancer and it had spread to most of his lymph nodes in his body.We were told that he may only have 3 weeks to live! I will never forget that day and at the time we had only a 1 year old and a 3 year old. The lump was removed and fortunately (??) it was diagnosed as being Hodgkins lymphoma. After 10 months of fortnightly chemo, the cancer had disappeared. He has just had his 5 years all clear so we are keeping our fingers firmly crossed that it never re appears.

I started running whilst he was ill as it was a great stress reliever and I could cry whilst pounding the streets instead of infront of him and the kids.

My page is at www.virginmoneygiving.com/GiselleChapman

Good luck on Sunday everyone!!!
  • Options

I'm really disappointed if there are people thinking this is not genuine - I can also echo the other guys and just reinforce I'm doing this because there are so many moving stories and experiences but I simply can't afford to give to them all. 

Please, please if you're running for a charity special to you post your stories so you can be included in the mix........Mr W, I don;t envy you the decision x

• Options
    I believe you are genuine and I think what you are doing is fantastic, keep the good work up.
  • Options
    I'm with Zaba. Keep the stories coming. image
  • Options

I'm one of the ones chipping in the money and I can assure eveyone that this is totally genuine.image

My contribution will be on your justiving site the day after Mr W decides. 

• Options

Mrs gb is running for Parkinsons,her Mum has the disease and we have just found out one of the Junior coaches at our club has got it a relatively young age, we have asked the monies raised to go to Parkinsons Charity nurses that visit sufferers in their homes to help with their daily jobs they cant cope with themselves.

Havent got a just giving as the charity thing was very last minute as she got a ballot place.

iI was really struck by the helpfull and upbeat attitude of the Charity

Im always a sceptical about "charridy mate" but when it hits close to home you realise there are some people who really do care

Cheers and good luck to all on sunday  

• Options

www.justgiving.com/mark-street

Bowel & Cancer Research is a charity that does research and pioneering surgery to bring a quality of life back to people's lives. My mates 14 year old son was diagnosed with this disease and is having treatment every four weeks, in hospital for the day being infused with drugs to keep him going. He is under size due to the treatment but is still working hard at school and has just done his grade four piano exam and is working on his grade five guitar. Stanley you are the man...........My last mile on Sunday is for him. Mile 25 is for Colin Patterson. Mile 24 is for my gran.  Dont be caught out if you see symptoms get to the docs quick, better safe than sorry.

Thanks guys for stories that have brought tears to my eyes.

Mark S.

• Options
    Can't believe some people have been saying this isn't genuine. How sad to be so cynical! image
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

I may go and hide in a quiet room to read all of these as I will blub like a little girl image

But well done to everyone who is running for a charity that is special to them.

• Options

I feel there are things in the world more worth bothering about than if someone doesn't believe this.  I think we can safely say the money is going to go where it is appreciated, and that's the main thing.

Not really expecting to get it myself, there are too many good stories as it is!  Sort of hope one of the Stroke Association lot will get it, since that's my charity and there seem to be a few of us on the thread!

Mine does have kittens though...

(Just to save anyone looking back if they should want to visit now...) http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Moonrising

• Options

tomorrow is decision day

get your stories up to stand a chance

I have been touched by so many of the stories so far.

1. I have a special needs son myself

2. My father in law is in remission (ran for Christies Hospital last time), my grandfather died from prostrate cancer and there is a good chance my dad has it at the moment.

3. My brother in law's life was ruined by a stroke

• Options
    boing boing  last chance to claim around £150 for your charity .... post your story here
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I've already won a cheque from Mister W so I think the money should go to someone else but

Although I secured my place through the ballot, there was never any question whether I was going to run for charity or not. It was a question of which charity it would be.

I always think you shoud chose a charity that you believe in so for me it had to be a cancer charity. I'd already raised money for Cancer Research in the past so I decided to pick Macmillan Cancer Support.

They've directly helped two people I know. The first being my colleague's wife who has thankfully made been cancer free for 2 years now. My colleague said their support was fantastic.

The second was my boyfriend's gran who found out late 2008 that she was suffering with cancer for the second time. She went through gruelling treatment & they managed to shrink the tumour. During a break from the treatment  in 2009 the tumour quickly grew and given her age it was decided that the best thing we could do was to make the rest of her life as good as possible. For a few months she seemed to be doing ok but from January she went rapidly down hill and sadly died In March.

Whether you're a sufferer or a family member, we're all affected by cancer. At the moment there is no cure so the best thing we can do is make the lives of those affected as good as we can.

Thanks,

Kate.

www.justgiving.com/kategreene

• Options
    Bouncy bouncy! Time for a last push peeps, please please post your stories - 'you've got to be in it to win it!!!!' image
  • Options

Boing

Don't miss the chance to take advantage of these fantastically generous people charity runners.

Same as K8 I have already secured a cheque from the wonderful M.ister W so will be happy to see the money go elsewhere.

Either way there are some fantastic stories on here and all are deserving, I for certain, will be spreading some money love come payday at end of month. Would do it now but 3 nights in London for a family of 5 is taking all my spare money before then.

Good luck with everything to you all.

• Options
    MR W - I don't envy your task!

<Drums Roll>
  • Options

I am running for Enham, Enham help special needs adults live and work independently- those who have chronic coniditions as well as those whose disabilities may not be visible.

I used to (and use the term used to lightly) suffer from depression, somedays it was a struggle to get out of bed.......

But on Sunday I am the London Marathon- what a difference year makes eh?

Enhman work with people who have a vast array of special needs, of all ages and from all different backgrounds, can you imagine be a construction worker for 15 years, having a accident and are unable to continue the job you love and get down?  Enham supports you and helps you to retrain to start a new career, a new life

I have chosen to run for Enham because by training to reach my potential as runner I can help the people who Enham helps to reach theirs.

By putting one foot in front of the other I can enjoy my Independence- by putting my feet one in front of the other for 26.2 miles on 25Th April hopefully I can help give someone their Independence to enjoy their life to its full potential- what better reason is there to get to the start line....... And the finish line of course

www.justgiving.co.uk/vikkirunslondon
  • Options

Boing.

Quiet today

• Options
    I guess it's a hard decision....
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    mattoo wrote (see)
    Would do it now but 3 nights in London for a family of 5 is taking all my spare money before then.
    Ouchie! There goes a month's salary.
  • Options
    I'm itching to give away my hard earned...
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

Okay, the results are in, the votes have been counted and the judges have made their decision.

It was a tough one.  There are over 20 stories on here and each one is very deserving but there was one charity that popped up 3 times and each time there was a story about how much they'd helped a family cope at a difficult time.  That charity is the Stroke Association so I'm going to give the money to the three people running for this charity.

So, Blackcat1 please could you message your details to The Silent Assassin and Karen Sims 3.

Rowan Green, please could you message your details to Tickled Pink and Corinthian.

Andy Watson, please could you message me with your name and address.  I note that you're running for two charities so I'll chuck in a second cheque for your other charity.

• Options
    Nice work Mister W