Options

Paris Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

All very technical on hereimage impressed!!!  TD;  what a drop - immense!!!

sneglen:  my plan has running 5 days, rest for 2 (although do spin on one of those days use spinning out of legs so to speak no stress on them).  plan has heavy week, followed by easy, so next week is an easy week - yipeee!!!!!  but then back to hard etc.  Good thing is once this 20 is done only 2 more to go!!!!!  am beginning to get a little excitedimage, oh and nervous as body still in one piece am touching wood as I say this.  When I trott this saturday, and believe me it will be a trott, target is do anything between 5 - 10 miles seeing how legs feel, at "easy" pace which is slower than and lsr is run!!  And monday will be a rest day rather than xtrain.  I will still dog walk thoughimage.

• Options
    Are quite a few of us doing the first 20 of the plan this weekend?  Sunday morning for me.
  • Options

agree with the consensus on measuring change rather than absolute re the scales.  however had to validate whether or not the gym scales were accurate - i don't think they are.  the omrons at home concur with our other older scales so somewhat unsurprisingly i haven't lost 3.5kg in a week. 

@td - that is some graph of bf% reduction! 

@sneglen - 6 days a week for me in the current plan, although this week was a 5 as it is a cut back week.

@lr - thanks for sharing details of your morning movements image second twenty of the plan for me on sunday.  following negotiations with mrs dm it is going to be a late run on sunday.

• Options
    Leeds Bob - 20 miles for me on Sunday morning too. Exciting isn't it?
  • Options
    Yep, whilst there's some plans that peak at 18 I tend to feel 20 is where the real action is at.  If for no other reason than from  20 the 'finish' i.e. 26.2 seems more tangible than from 18.  Maybe its just psychological in that it pushes you into the 20s rather than the teens.
  • Options

But isn't it all a mind game from 20 miles+?  Yep first 20 for me sunday, will be pleased to get it underr my belt, so to speakimage.

I never weigh myself, don't have scales in the house , only the doc weighs me!!!  - go on how I feel and how clothes fit, works for meimage.

• Options
    Leeds Bob wrote (see)
    Does that have you at round about 14.5% for Paris 2009 TD?

I think that would be about right Rob. So maybe my speed improvement is just a factor of weight loss? In which case, the best coaching advice I could give would be to lop off a leg with a hacksaw.

The only problem with that body fat graph is that it indicates I probably only have about 3-6 months left to live. Human body has a lot of trouble sustaining itself below 5% fat. Cells stop working. So I REALLY hope that things plateau, that I've reached some kind of optimum beyond which I can't go any further. Seeing 6.5% on the scales was actually pretty scary.

This w/e is a big 'un for me - not only do I have a day shopping in Ashford on saturday (hmmm...) but also a 35km LSR on Sunday - think that's a 22 miler. Whether looks like it's going to be coldish and drizzly. Lovely.

• Options
    Princess Fi - it may well be a mental battle from 20 miles on, but in my experience the physical plays a pretty important part too!
  • Options

Thanks for the replies on how often you train. I do 4 days but have just shifted things round so that I can do 5 or cross train for one of them. Joined a gym in Dec coz of the weather and haven't been since before Christmas except for my health MOT. How's that for bad value.

20 miles for me today. My joy of running waned many a time this morning and the run was actually18.7 but not bothered about that as was very hilly. Normally plan flat routes but was still on a high. Anyway, now I've come back down to earth and will avoid hills on long runs another timeimage

TD Looks like you need to eat otherwise you'll fall off the pageimage Glad I'm not capable of making graphs. They definitely wouldn't look like that.

Enjoy your running this weekend everyone.

• Options

Leeds Rob.

Saturday 4th April 2009 - 15.6% BF, Monday 6th April 13.4% - Paris race time3h24

Saturday 10th April 2010 - 12.5% BF, Monday 12th April 12.0% - Paris race time 3h12

Saturday 24th April 2010 - 12.2% BF, Monday 26th April  12.3% - London race time 3h30

Saturday 16th October 2010 - 11.1% BF, Monday 18th October 10.4% - Amsterdam race time 2h58

Thursday 1th February 2011 - BF 6.5% image

See why I'm a bit worried?! (and it isn't 'cos I think I'm going to beat a WR). 

• Options

20 miles for me on Sunday too

Just got the request from RW to get myself a med cert so have booked an appointment next week with a GP I've never met!  2 years ago it cost me £15.  Fingers crossed

• Options

TD Fab marathon times

• Options
    Lightweight here - only 18 miles for me on Sunday - oh, the shame! 20 miles next week though so I'll get there eventually. Going to start proper pre-race routine this weekend though - getting up at the right time, bagel for breakfast, run at race time etc just to see how I get on.

Can't remember who asked but I generally run 3 or 4 times a week, which is less than I did for the last mara, but I'm hoping not to get injured in the run-up. Focussing more on quality (ie proper speed sessions, sticking to the correct pace with Garmin etc) - last effort was higher mileage but a bigger percentage of 'junk', I think. Anyway, I'll find out on the day!

Massage for me too this week - pleased to find trigger points I'd been working on along the inside of my calves were fine - but she found a whole new set on the outside, which was interesting (ow). Pre and post race sessions all booked up now.

PF - hope the shotbloks work for you - watch out for the orange ones, they have caffeine in them - you might want to try the ordinary ones first and see how you get on
  • Options

TD - definitely interesting stuff on the times vs BF percentages.  Looking for mine to fall in the next few weeks before taper.

8.5 miles for me today, 5.5 at half pace.  Champion.

• Options

Planning ahead...

...in 2009 I remember eating more or less only protein for a couple of days and then carb loading for the last three.  Anyone know a) what the logic is b) what the timescales are and c) which book I might have got this from so I can look it up again?

2-3 inches of snow here so far this morning.  Better be gone by tomorrow.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Snow??? Noooooooo image  I'm in 'spring' mode.'Don't want no snooow......

Welcome bacck, RR.good idea , about the pre-race routine.I'm still doing lots of 'junk' miles, I'm afraid, but I  think I've learned that I've been rather OD-ing on gels.I don't need as many as I've been taking.I think i'll try my remaining long runs with fewer...Any one else using SIS gels? If so, how many do you get through in say, 20 miles?

TD, I'm in the blinded-by-science camp but your graphs looks scary , pet. Should we be sending you deep-fried Mars bars, Irn Bru and chips?* Your job conditions, on the other hand, sound wonderful.How's the job , itself, going? *

Enjoy the day, to everyone resting up for tomorrow's long run. 

• Options

Hello lovely people..   image

I've been absent for a few weeks..  basically since getting back from Lanzarote...   had a few things to deal with and was distracted....  I'm feeling better now though...   went out for a 15 mile run in the rain and it cleared my head a bit...

I'm in need of some help....   I need someone who can handle contact/communication with the media and look for possible sponsers etc...  I just don't have time to do everything myself...

This will be a charity fund-raiser for Dame Kelly Holmes charity   http://www.dkhlegacytrust.org/

I have set up a Just Giving page, twitter, facebook and blog...   I only did these a couple of days ago so they are blank, but I will start to add info and my training data from this weekend onwards...  the info contained there can be used to get media attention.

I will be meeting Dame Kelly Holmes next weekend and there will be a photo shoot..  we'll want to use that picture to attract some publicity to what I'm doing...

So...  anyone want to volunteer...?    I'm doing the a2a in September..  so if you volunteer, you'll need to have some time available each week until then.....

• Options
    ATM - just got back from 30k and used 3 SIS gels. Never used them before, so went on advice of the guy in Runners World. Took one every 50minutes, seemed to work ok...
  • Options

DV Sounds like  you've got your work cut out. Good luck meeting Dame Kelly Holmes next week. It all sounds very exciting.

ATM I use SIS gels and tend to take them every 5 miles or so. Yesterday I'd run out so I took jelly babies every mile or so. I think 4 or 5 have the same carbs as a gel but probably don't get into the system as quick tho stopped the pangs of hunger. Tried putting the gels in the water bottle as TD suggested. I'm sure thats probably more carbs but I found it very weak. TD could I add some orange squash to make it a bit stronger?

• Options

well survived the 10miler this morning feeling alright at the mo, but don't watch this space for tomorrow!! 

RR:  clocked the caffine on the orange ones, am starting out with the forrest fruits ones!!!  Running a different route tomorrow just to make it a little more interesting and I don't want to get lost!!! 

DV:  sounds fab, if only I were nearer would be pleased to help, but am too far away with a stretch of water between us!!!  Put the links up to your face book and just giving pages would be brilliant thoughimage.

Will be thinking of everyone tomorrow doing ther 18 - 20 milers - good luck and enjoy!!!

• Options

Hi PF..  I don't think location is relevant..    its something that can be done by phone/email...

Do you know anything about these things....?    I need some basic help of what facebook can do too...  have no idea

• Options
    ATM - I use Torq gels but, having been through the same thing you have in previous marathon programmes, haven't yet had one on a long run and don't plan on taking one on tomorrow's 20 miler. Think I'll have a couple in the last 4 LSRs to get used to them again.
  • Options

If you are on twitter...    please feel free to follow me..

http://twitter.com/arch_2_arc

I will start updating with my training and other a2a matters..

• Options
    I'd love to be able to help out, DV, but work is a mare image

However, things will be very clear for me in July/August time, so could add some extra woman-power then if that would be any use? image
  • Options
    DV,

Just followed you on Twitter and checked out the Enduroman site.

I'd always assumed you were a minor mentalist from seeing your occasional sea-swimming pictures but now that I understand what the A2A involves, I have upgraded you two jumps straight to 'mentalist maximus' status. Well done and good luck.
  • Options
    Bagelling up for this morning's run. Which sounds like a practice that will have hunt saboteurs chasing me.

DV - now following you on twitter. Also the Downing St cat, for reasons I don't quite understand - someone I was following before must have changed their name.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Nearly 22...slow but 'could have done the other 4 if pushed. Pushed hard.

Not -well-enough-bageled-up, though.( Good idea, RR ) Well done, Kerry.It is such a good idea to try things out before the day.And what's with the return to winter? Lots of frost and ice on the high bits , round here..

Friend has invited me to go swimming. It's too good to miss...image

• Options

Where is everyone?

Long run done for me.  Plan said 18 but I decided on 20, then mid way round decided to make it 21.

Mile splits were:

1. 8:48
    2. 8:51
    3. 8:21
    4. 8:31
    5. 8:32
    6. 8:23
    7. 8:31
    8. 8:27
    9. 8:11
    10. 8:28
    11. 8:15
    12. 8:17
    13. 8:13
    14. 7:59
    15. 7:57
    16. 8:05
    17. 8:01
    18. 8:00
    19. 8:01
    20. 8:20
    21. 7:23

Decided at 13 miles to try and do the last 8 miles close to marathon pace.  Was almost cock on until mile 20 which had a couple of steep and long climbs which left me having to go for it in the last mile to get to the 8:00 average but, helped by a downhill stretch I was able to achieve it pretty well.

8:16 average overall, 7:57 average for the last 8 miles. Second half almost 5 minutes faster than the first.

21 miles?  Whos the daddy?

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41578_48878359433_2864387_n.jpg

Since then I've had a cold bath (I turned blue), warm shower, done a PriFi patented leg drain, put on some calf guards, popped a couple of ibuprofen.  I may get up about 5pm for pie and peas.

• Options
    ATM...22? 22???  You're staying ahead of the game on the mileage!  Nicely done.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Alas, LB, my miles are all at sightseeing pace...Finishing well-enough-to-enjoy-my-lunch is still the main goal.

However, 'cos last week's LSR got postponed 'til Monday, I'm looking at a diary with 98.8k recorded for this week.That's the most I've ever done in a week and I'm enjoying the strange smug feeling...* I'm also considering a 2k trot just to cook the books a bit more...*

My bath was colder that I would have liked but not because of any fancy  icy-shower on legs notion ..Respect ,to all you hard-core runners.

* tumbleweed*

It IS quiet in here....