Options

Barcelona Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

It now feels real. Lets hope we can all enjoy ourselves tomorrow.image

You will recognise me in the pub, I will be the one making groining noises everytime I move.

• Options

Just got back from watching the magic fountains show. Start area looked tremendous in the dark with the fountains and the Avenue all lit up. Decided on the match on telly, need the rest after sampling too much cerveza on friday night, lol.

Good luck everyone with the run image

• Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    Well that was tough. Very sunny and warm. Despite my erratic pacing managed 3.13.48 a new PB by about 7 minutes. Struggled to find a comfortable pace throughout and was somewhat dismayed when the 3.15 pacers passed me in the last mile. Thought I'd blown it but maybe they thought they had done their bit and bezzed off for the finishline. Hope to see some of you later. image
  • Options

Keyboard Worrier  Congratulations on the PB.

My pacing was very erractic, very congested at the start and much too quick in the middle. Despite going for 3:10, I didn't pass the 3:15 pacers until approx mile 9, so maybe they aimed below to give some room at the end? Despite a very tough last 4 miles I am also happy to post a PB 3:08:38. A happy emotional bunny at the moment.

Hope everyone manageds their goal times

• Options
    Well done Scooby Dudek and Keyboard worrier!! I too got a PB, but by how much I don't yet know. I was so unsure footed as I passed the finish line that some medics arrived to give me support and I totally forgot to turn off my Garmin.

The race was tough! I struggled for the last 12kms. What a great crowd and a brilliantly organised race.

My feet feel as though they have been run over by people carrier!

Bath and sleep now - see you all later at the pub.
  • Options

Looking to head to the George for 6pm... Had a good easy run a little quicker than I wanted, but all good. TJQ set a 38 min PB so is very happy and wants to talk running with like minded people.

Some great times and good conditions.. see some of you later.. Good to see TMAP at the end of the race...

• Options
    Sorry coulndt make pub. Great race didn't notice it was warm as shade from buildings a lot. Just fell apart last 3 miles got top that point in 3 13. Thought great just need to run 3 miles in 30 mins fore 4 min PB finished in 3 53 but well pleased as felt bad bat 32 k then picked up . You can't wish for better start an finish. One odd thing you couldn't buy a hot drink at start someone missed a trick there, Route a bit boring when running to half way. Otherwise brilliant. I gave iot everyting I felt annd was sick straight after race, took me 3 hours before I could eat or drink . Have grt trip home evry1
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭

I'm back home having spent only just over 24 hours there.

Had an OK race finishing in 2:57:46.  Didn't really notice the heat (generally I struggle in heat) but did find it a little tough from 30km onwards - I was glad I'd been warned about the last hill, but also found the little cobbled streets quite hard.

A fantastically well organised race - was blown over by the pasta party, and with British Airways having only served me a single chocolate biscuit it was very welcome.  Loved the start/finish, and thanks to The Jiffle King for the brilliant hotel recommendation.  Best marathon I've done, I think.

• Options
    robotrobot ✭✭✭
    my first marathon so i cant compare it against anything but i thought it was a great route with some very nice sites to keep the mind occupied. the crowd was excellent especially on the very narrow section just before the finish. so many french racers and quite a few unofficial runners jumping in at the start too - all part of the fun.

last 7k was mind over matter but i'm happy with my 3:45. roll on sussex...
  • Options

I've done Edinburgh and Snowdonia before this one.

It's certainly the most exciting and has the best atmosphere of all 3 although Snowdonia is probably the best course of all 3.

It puts Edinburgh in its place though, comparatively dull.

Poor training in prep injury / workload issues meant that my peak training was 3 long ish runs in 2 days last week, hence I was goosed after 20 miles.

Loved this race though, druns, music, tickertape, sights, closed roads, sponges, fruit stations (!), nuts and dried fruit at the end, powerade stations, water stations, red cross stations... bloody brilliant

Branson, Moorcroft et al... watch out, Barca might be better than London.

• Options

Hi All,

Just got back in chilly London after a great weekend! The weather was fantastic and I loved the city. 

I managed to get my sub 3 I was going for. I did 2:58:09 so pretty pleased!! Went off far to hard up to half way but luckily that gave me enough of a buffer to die on that last hill which I definately did. So hard but was definately worth it.

Nice to see some other PB stories coming in! I hope you all had a good one!

• Options
    Scooby Dudek wrote (see)

Keyboard Worrier  Congratulations on the PB.

My pacing was very erractic, very congested at the start and much too quick in the middle. Despite going for 3:10, I didn't pass the 3:15 pacers until approx mile 9, so maybe they aimed below to give some room at the end? Despite a very tough last 4 miles I am also happy to post a PB 3:08:38. A happy emotional bunny at the moment.

Hope everyone manageds their goal times

We must have been very close. I thought the baloons ahead of me were the 3 hour pacers until i caught them at about 9 or 10 miles and realised it was the 3.15 lads. Shocking pacing to be honest. They started in the sub 3 pen and were doing 7 min miles at the start and then slowed down at the end.

• Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    I passed them between miles 2 and 3 and never looked back to see where they were. My second half of the marathon took 7 mins longer than the first and when they passed me in the last mile I was dead on my feet but it did give me the slight spur I may have needed to push on until the end.

Aching in the calves a lot yesterday and this morning. The hangover took some recovering from too. Nice to meet Stephen Malcolm,Scooby Dudeck, Jim Holmes, Elizabeth and family and the Irish contingent in the pub afterwards. The hangover took some recovering from.
  • Options
    I am still here in sunny Barca but last night a whole load of drunken Arsenal fans descended on the fabulous city! Grown men, who frankly, should know better, shouting 'En-ger-land' around the streets at 3am. I am sure that today that the Arsenal fans are going to be none too popular. RANT OVER!

I walked 5 miles yesterday but still cannot sit down or stand up with any style. I resemble Mrs Overall from Acorn Antiques.

Scooby Dudek and Keyboard Worrier - I have a good photo of you. If you want to see it get in touch. Are you on facebook? I am easy to find, with a running photo.

• Options

Hi All,

Sorry I didn't make it to the pub, finished and ate within the hour, then hobbled back to hotel and didn't wake up til 7, doh!!!

My first marathon and loved it, bloomin hot but cap kept the sun out of my eyes. Got very emotional when finshed and felt completly overwhelmed. Brilliant race, and well organised (compared with halves I've done in London).

Legs are sore, but apart from that all good. Got home last night about 11 and now having a week off and flying to whistler  on Sat for some powder, GOOD TIMES!!!

Bring on Abingdon in Oct image

• Options

Hi all - back to, predictably cold, Scotland yesterday.  I've made a reasonably good recovery, possibly due to the healing qualities of beer? No hangover yesterday either.

It was really good meeting on Sunday.  It helps hearing that everyone was suffering along the seafront and up the hill to the finish!  I also have a couple of 'good' photos and will add them to Facebook.

Elizabeth - one the the cabin crew on my flight asked why I wasn't staying for the football, and was a bit taken aback when I said I was leaving because of the football match.

The race organisation was very impressive, and I'm thinking about entering next year if only to conquer 'the hill. Only one thing needs changed, the results have Stephen Malcolm - ENG.

• Options

What a fantastic marathon!

Great to see so many good race reports. Very jealous of Elizabeth still in Barcelona, well done on the pb you’ve absolutely smashed it! Isn’t it a shame when a few football hooligans embarrass the entire country (and the sane Arsenal fans) Cracking run K_W, you must be over the moon with that. I agree with Tmap, it was the best I’ve done so far. Nice sub-3hr there to both you and Rich W, that has got to be my ultimate goal but I’m a good few years off that yet. Well done on your first marathon Sarah, what a good choice for a first! Have you got the marathon bug now? 

I didn’t know what to aim for until the start, last week I was unsure if I’d even be running when I was poorly. This was my 10th marathon and I wanted to make sure it was a one to remember in a positive light.

I was lined up ready for the off, I’d said goodbye to my faster boyfriend who had headed off closer to the front of our pen, Freddie Mercury was playing on the speakers, confetti raining down, the fountains were spectacular…. I got a bit emotional! I decided to just run to how I felt and not chase a PB, I can honestly say I enjoyed the whole race. Barcelona is a beautiful city, what a way to see it! The whole course was thick with runners that never seemed to disperse, all of the cheering from spectators shouting your name, the spinning classes cheering runners on, the bands and singers, up and around Camp Nou, the glorious sunshine, over bridges and along the coast, heading past the Sagrada Familia and trying to watch the course but gaze up at the stunning architecture, approaching the Placa de les Glories that was like a mirage that wasn’t getting any closer, running through Las Ramblas with the crowd closing in on you (and past a woman with a two-pint pitcher of beer at 38kms, I could have easily took it off her!), even the slightly cruel incline towards the finish line, and finally, finally, back to Placa Espanya where Coldplay’s ‘When I ruled the World’ was playing… I didn’t run a PB, but I was just over a minute off it! 3:29:12, still a sub-3:30, with a huge smile on my face image image

DOMS is now setting in image

• Options

Thanks Carrot!!!! Just reading your msg has tears in my eyes image I'm such a wuss, I know.

The archetitecture is fantastic, Barca is amazing and the crowds really spurred me on with lots of people shouting my name. The drums at the start where also brilliant. I loved the spinning classes and also dance classes outside. Listening to lady gaga around 12 & 18 miles and some Eminem also gomy pins moving quicker image

I saw lots of cerveza being drunk towards the end and could've snatched one quite easily along the Ramblas.

I've already signed up for Abingdon in Oct, but didn't tell boyf until sunday. Defo got the bug and am thinking of entering either Serville or Barca again next year.

I loved also talking to people at various points in the marathon and hearing stories/advice on what to do.

• Options
    I've just looked at the official photos. My God, what a hoot! Every single one of them is rubbish. At the beginning, my hat is causing a shadow, so I look as though I have no eyes. Latterly, I look like a drunkard coming over the line as I am wobbling from one side to the other. Shall not be buying any of those then.

I'm doing Berlin in September and Rome (I think) in March 2112. What are everyone else's plans?

The Arsenal fans are still asleep in their hotel rooms I suspect, as the city is quiet and peaceful....for the moment.
  • Options

You're not a wuss at all Sarah, or if you are I am too! As for the boyfriend, get him running too! Mine only started running races when he started seeing me (poor lad, he'd never see me otherwise)

Elizabeth - Other marathons planned for this year are London and New York. Planning on a few 10Ks and half marathons over the summer, but I do love marathons! Berlin is on my list of must-do marathons, could be 2012.

I didn't realise photos were online now, I'll have a look.... I've already seen the videos! image

• Options
    Carrot - You are lucky to have a boyfriend that likes running. My husband would rather stick pins in his eyes than break into a run. That said, he is great at a support role...putting me on the start line and scooping me up at the end! image
  • Options

Well I managed to beat my target time of 3.30, made it in 3.27. Was an absolute killer though, last 4 miles were agony and still don't know how I managed to keep going without stopping.

Had said I would only do one marathon and am sticking with that !!

Back to 10k's and half's for me...... 

Agree with the comments about the Arsenal fan's - a load of them converged on a bar we were watching the football on Sunday afternoon, no wonder everyone has such a low opinion of us abroad as they were a right bunch of loadmouth yobbos......

• Options

We left yesterday afternoon about 6 and there were loads of Arsenal fans shouting/walking up the Ramblas, shocking!!! Glad we left when we did.

Got a 10miler in April and a few halves before Oct marathon. My OH would also rather stick pins in his eyes than run with me aswell Elizabeth. Mind you, he took some good photo's and  is a star with all the emotions(and training tantrums image  )

The Claw- brilliant running time, glad you enjoyed it!!! You sure you don't fancy another biggie image

• Options

Cheers Sarah.

No way - back to 3 times a week, otherwise I'll be getting divorced !!! 

• Options
    Hi everyone,

This was my first marathon and it was great!

First of all my training was dreadful. I hadn't really trained properly since Christmas due to exams/laziness. I finished in 3hrs 55mins, which I'm relatively happy with, and managed to complete it without stopping. Not too bad for my first marathon and at least I have a benchmark to beat for any future races, must commit to training next time!

I got to the start quite late, and ended up in the 4hrs+ pen, I didn't want to set off to fast so didn't really overtake much, and ended up starting far too slow!

In fact there was less than 2 mins difference between the timings for the first and second half of the race.

The heat got to me a bit, especially through the beach section, and on that really long straight road which came back on it's self. Loved those sponges though!

All in all though it was a good experience and Barcelona is a lovely city.

BUT, I now have a really bad sharp pain on the soles of my feet, slightly worse in my left foot. Walking is a proper struggle and I know it's not just DOMS. From what I've looked up it could be Plantar Fasciitis, which would suck. Doctors tomorrow, hopefully it'll improve by then. Any advice?

Cheers,

Iain
  • Options

The Claw- oh dear, maybe Mrs Claw should get some running shoes and share the running love?

It's lovel and sunny today and I'm off all week, yippee. gonna go for a walk into town and chillax. Just seen the photos and my cap has caused a shodow in the photo's too, rubbish

• Options

Iain I ended up with PF during my first year of running, only on one foot but it was so painful. Right in the centre of my heel and slightly up the middle of my foot, it would be more painful on a morning than on a night. If that's what it is, best advice is no running until it's gone... good when you're recovering from a marathon!  I would also take a tennis ball into work, sit with my shoe off and roll my heel over the ball, it was a bit like a sport massage where it's a bit painful but nice painful!  I spent time in the gym on the cross trainer and bike, plus swimming to keep my fitness up. Anything that avoids putting your heel down really. And plenty of ibuprofen. Well done on your first marathon image

There is always the FIRST plan for marathon training Claw - a three day a week approach! Excellent marathon debut.

Enjoy your week off work Sarah, back to it for me tomorrow. Bad times.

Photos of me are rather dodgy as always! But I look happy approaching that finish line.

• Options
    Hi carrot, yeah I've heard of the tennis ball/golf ball technique and I'll definitely give that a try. And I know what you mean about the 'nice painful' feeling image

Definitely rest up, I bloody hate resting though. I won't do anything for a week and then start cycling for cardio and see how resistance training goes. I do Jiu Jitsu too, so I'll see how I feel with that too. Walking is a bastard at the moment though, so all of that seems a long way off. Already chucking down the ibuprofen and will see what the doc says tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply anyway image ...tempted to enter another marathon now, not sure which one or when. Which are recommended for a relatively low (student) budget?
  • Options

Nice to meet some of you in the pub after the race and put faces to names. Well done everyone who ran, and especially those who got PB´s.

See some of you in London for the next 26.2 mile (and my last marathon) race. Glad that people seemed to enjoy the race.... I missed Sagrada again this year (2 years on the bounce) but living close to Batillo and Casa Milla, it was nice to get a free run past them without having to stop for traffic.

I´m back out for a run in 45 minutes, a nice easy 6 miles and lets see how the legs are

• Options
    Iain the Great - Congratulations, that is a fabulous time for a marathon whether or not it is your first time!! I so want a sub 4, but just cannot attain it. Berlin is meant to be fast and flat...perhaps September could be my lucky month. You can't do just one marathon with a time like that!!!