Options

Virgin London Marathon 2011 First Timers

Comments

• Options
    Jeeze Squeakz, that sounds scary image Is Codine and Paracetamol ok?? image
  • Options
    Miggito wrote (see)

Morning all image

Beautiful day up here (makes a change!) so everyone is happy.

Muppley, how you doing, was thinking of you on my bike this morning - hope you're behaving and not running. I know it's hard, almost felt tempted myself this morning but just had to accept the fact it would have been a really stupid idea! My foot still hurts but slowly easing, still keeping fingers crossed for a pain free day!

Squeakz, what's the latest with you, have you done a run yet or are you just cross-training and going for it on the day? Are you really going to run with the fillets in your shoes, have you "trained" with them yet? walking / running? It's a serious question (not like me!), but I was thinking about that also as you wouldn't have run with that support before and you might bugger up your feet even more so might be better to run without?

VDS - you still lurking, hope you're doing okay - let us know the latest with you.

Mike Halpin - same to you mate - where have you gone, hope all is well?

Everyone else - hope all these wee niggles are easing off, you're enjoying your tapering and you're turning all the nerves and excitement into positive energy!

Jo, I sensed the start of my hay fever today so you beat me to it but yes, another magic pill to add to the list image

i went for a slow 5.5mile run last night image sorry but i was going insane foot feels no different to what it has done for the last 3weeks.

i deep froze it and padded up and it felt glorious along the seafront and im feeling very good today

i have been maded a roller for my foot and im rolling it constantly while sat at my desk i am having foot washes with my milky painkiller stuff

• Options
    Miggito wrote (see)
    I'm going for Character Building please image

Me too!

(and good morning everyone) image

Edited to add:  I've taken ibuprofen before half marathons before with no ill effects, but everyone's different.  I'll certainly be taking painkillers with me to the start and make a judgement call once I begin running.

• Options
    oh and my horse is
    DONT PUSH IT

i have heard that a lot
  • Options
    Shielsy wrote (see)
    Miggito wrote (see)

Me too!

Shielsy, you need to pick some thing else if it's already been picked, first come first served. I might put some actually money on this one now image I'll have them all backed at this rate image

• Options
    SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Muppley - you naughty naughty girl *gets spanked* image Glad you're feeling better today though, I guess only we know whats best for us at this stage but I know your mind can take over and you would probably feel worse if you didn't run so fingers crossed! I'm sitting at my desk rolling a golf ball under my foot again!

Shielsy - good choice - going to have to put a bet on now image 

This time next week I'll be on the train to London imageimageimageimageimage

• Options

DON'T PUSH IT (Ire) 11 11-10 Muppley
    TIDAL BAY (Ire) 10 11-09
    VIC VENTURI (Ire) 11 11-06
    WHAT A FRIEND 8 11-06
    MAJESTIC CONCORDE (Ire) 8 11-05
    OR NOIR DE SOMOZA (Fr) 9 11-05
    DOONEYS GATE (Ire) 10 11-04
    BIG FELLA THANKS 9 11-01
    BALLABRIGGS (Ire) 10 11-00
    THE TOTHER ONE (Ire) 10 11-00
    NICHE MARKET (Ire) 10 10-13
    THE MIDNIGHT CLUB (Ire) 10 10-13
    BACKSTAGE (Fr) 9-10-12
    CHIEF DAN GEORGE (Ire) 11 10-12
    SILVER BY NATURE 9 10-12 Miss Knees
    CALGARY BAY (Ire) 8 10-10
    KILLYGLEN (Ire) 9 10-10
    OSCAR TIME (Ire) 10 10-09
    BECAUSEICOULDNTSEE (Ire) 8 10-08
    COMPLY OR DIE (Ire) 12 10-08
    QUINZ (Fr) 7 10-08
    QUOLIBET (FR) 7 10-08
    GRAND SLAM HERO (Ire) 10 10-07 WiB
    ROLL ALONG (Ire) 11 10-07
    KING FONTAINE (Ire) 8 10-06
    STATE OF PLAY 11 10-06
    HELLO BUD (Ire) 13 10-05
    IN COMPLIANCE (Ire) 11 10-05
    SANTA'S SON (Ire) 11 10-05
    WEST END ROCKER (Ire) 9 10-05
    BLUESEA CRACKER (Ire) 9 10-04
    CAN'T BUY TIME (Ire) 9 10-04
    CHARACTER BUILDING (Ire) 11 10-04 Miggito
    ORNAIS (Fr) 9 10-04
    PIRAYA (Fr) 8 10-04
    SURFACE TO AIR 10 10-04
    THAT'S RHYTHM (Fr) 11 10-04
    ARBOR SUPREME (Ire) 9 10-03
    ROYAL ROSA (Fr) 12 10-03
    ALWAYS WAINING (Ire) 10 10-02
    FAASEL (Ire) 10 10-01
    LE BEAU BAI (Fr) 8 10-01 Alison Cameron 2
    PUTNEY BRIDGE 9 10-01
    QUEZAC DE LA ROQUE (Fr) 7 10-01
    GILES CROSS (Ire) 9 10-00
    SADDLERS STORM (Ire) 9-10-00

• Options

SPANKED!!! i might go out more often then!! image

just couldnt help out its like an addiction know i shouldnt but just had to do 1 more x

• Options
    Miss Knees wrote (see)
    Shielsy wrote (see)
    Miggito wrote (see)

Me too!

Shielsy, you need to pick some thing else if it's already been picked, first come first served. I might put some actually money on this one now image I'll have them all backed at this rate image

Sorry - I meant I've chosen that horse in actual real life image
  • Options
    Miss Knees wrote (see)
    Jeeze Squeakz, that sounds scary image Is Codine and Paracetamol ok?? image

Im not for a moment suggesting that one type is OK and another is not simply because I do not know. All I can state is what I found out harrasing to my bupa doc who does tri's and reading up on the subject as I had all these questions myself.
    I have no answers, only more questions and would not dream of advising what others do as I simply do not have enough knowledge on the subject.
    My only suggestion would be to advise consulting your GP who knows your health background.

Personally I will only take them after the finish as the information I discovered is enough to concern me, and with my luck I would be a statistic.. lol
    I can send you the documentation I have if you want to have a read, its hardcore reading though, real medical geek stuff
    I just provide info which I have discovered while freaking out and worrying, you decide what to do with it.. image 

• Options
    Miss Knees I'll have Backstage please! Am going to put a few mini bets on the Grand National today...always reminds me of my Nan who used to have a flutter!

Re: Ibuprofen etc....I've read the same kind of stuff Squeakz has been showing us. I don't think i'll take anything, but will probably do like Miggito and put some Ibuleve on bits i'm worried about. The last few LSR's I have had have been painful towards the end but it's been good to know that mentally I can cope with it as no doubt I might hurt a bit come mile 20 image
    Also I'm a Doctor's daughter so always a bit cautious with stuff like that!

Gorgeous day in Plymouth today. I did a mini interval session yesterday (4 x 1 min fast with 1 min recs) my plan says to do 45 mins easy today, but I think I am gonna have a good walk instead. Will be wearing my lovely FitFlops so that'll keep my feet happy, and supported!

• Options

Thanks for all that very conflicting advice everyone!

I am sufficiently frightened by Squeakz's response to have now made the decision NOT to take anything until after the race.  My finishing line sequence will now be: remove tag, get medal, get bag, down pills!

I think I will also follow Miggito's suggestion of the ibuprofen gel, slap that on any body parts which may play up en route to The Mall.

• Options

Yeah I think I'm going to carry something but not take it now image Thank you Dr Squeakz image

• Options

Louise : im really sorry, my intention was never to frighten you. I just wished to provide what information I had image im sorry.... I must admit after finding out what I did, I decided the same as you.

A large number of medial sources show concern for taking it, one such source which is an interesting read states :- "By inhibiting the production of PGs, as both nonselective NSAIDs and coxibs do, these agents can exacerbate--and theoretically cause--fluid imbalance, electrolyte disorders and kidney problems during a marathon"

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NHG/is_3_17/ai_n13467250/

My only real advise would be to talk to your GP

• Options

Updated runners image Alison, your hosre is not running now.

DON'T PUSH IT (Ire) 11 11-10 Muppley
    TIDAL BAY (Ire) 10 11-09
    VIC VENTURI (Ire) 11 11-06
    WHAT A FRIEND 8 11-06
    MAJESTIC CONCORDE (Ire) 8 11-05
    OR NOIR DE SOMOZA (Fr) 9 11-05
    DOONEYS GATE (Ire) 10 11-04
    BIG FELLA THANKS 9 11-01
    BALLABRIGGS (Ire) 10 11-00
    THE TOTHER ONE (Ire) 10 11-00
    NICHE MARKET (Ire) 10 10-13
    THE MIDNIGHT CLUB (Ire) 10 10-13
    BACKSTAGE (Fr) 9-10-12 Plod_jones
    CHIEF DAN GEORGE (Ire) 11 10-12
    SILVER BY NATURE 9 10-12 Miss Knees
    CALGARY BAY (Ire) 8 10-10
    KILLYGLEN (Ire) 9 10-10
    OSCAR TIME (Ire) 10 10-09
    BECAUSEICOULDNTSEE (Ire) 8 10-08
    COMPLY OR DIE (Ire) 12 10-08
    QUINZ (Fr) 7 10-08
    QUOLIBET (FR) 7 10-08
    GRAND SLAM HERO (Ire) 10 10-07 WiB
    ROLL ALONG (Ire) 11 10-07
    KING FONTAINE (Ire) 8 10-06
    STATE OF PLAY 11 10-06
    HELLO BUD (Ire) 13 10-05
    IN COMPLIANCE (Ire) 11 10-05
    SANTA'S SON (Ire) 11 10-05
    WEST END ROCKER (Ire) 9 10-05
    BLUESEA CRACKER (Ire) 9 10-04
    CAN'T BUY TIME (Ire) 9 10-04
    CHARACTER BUILDING (Ire) 11 10-04 Miggito
    ORNAIS (Fr) 9 10-04
    PIRAYA (Fr) 8 10-04
    SURFACE TO AIR 10 10-04
    THAT'S RHYTHM (Fr) 11 10-04
    ARBOR SUPREME (Ire) 9 10-03
    ROYAL ROSA (Fr) 12 10-03
    QUEZAC DE LA ROQUE (Fr) 7 10-01
    GILES CROSS (Ire) 9 10-00

• Options
    Shielsy wrote (see)
    Miss Knees wrote (see)
    Shielsy wrote (see)
    Miggito wrote (see)

Me too!

Sorry - I meant I've chosen that horse in actual real life image
    Ah sorry luv image My bad. I'll have to have a punt now!!!!! image
  • Options

Squeakz - I am glad of the advice - rather find out now than when it's too late!

I usually err on the side of caution.

And what the hell, I have been running in pain for last 3 months, so what's a few more hours? It's just that I so want to enjoy the race and not be grimacing all the way round!

• Options
    I went to the post office and came back with a dress image
  • Options
    'Roll along' for me please!
  • Options

miss knees - good shopping skills! I'm going to go shopping this weekend - so excited image. Haven't been for ages as always running on the weekends and then too knackered!

And going to a barbecue tomorrow - practically a 'normal' weekend!

• Options

Little N we are in the same RW support Team image

The dress was only £9 from primark so even better bargain.....I've a sore foot, I need the dress image

• Options
    Miss Knees wrote (see)

.....I've a sore foot, I need the dress image

And that works, how exactly?
  • Options
    Squeakz wrote (see)
    Miss Knees wrote (see)

Well if you don't know now then you never will image
  • Options
    Marathon Week These are just suggestions to enable you to enjoy the week leading up to your marathon. They are by no means set in stone. Everyone has their own interpretation and you should go along with them. It is your day, you have worked hard to get here so now is the time to try to relax and enjoy the fruits of your labours.                                 Registration & Exhibition,  If you can go on a day as early as possible especially if this is your first time. There will be lots to see and enjoy. You will have the time for your legs to relax after at home. Remember who the sponsors are. They have to sell as much as possible. I.e. If you have never drunk Lucazade or other sports drink or used a gel then now is not the time to start. If you buy new kit then do not use it on the day. You should have all that sorted by now. Again if you don’t normally eat pasta then do not be tempted now. There are many eating places on the concourse but beware of the prices. After the Registration.   Stay of your feet as much as possible. It is the worst time as you are raring to go and you think you will get unfit in the next 2 days. You will not. Now is the time to put the much needed fuel in your tank. Eat well and don’t try anything new. Drink, drink, drink. No not from the pub. Water. You should be well hydrated by Sunday. It is no use drinking like mad on Sunday morning it will do no good at all. DON’T FORGET your ID you will need this to get your number.
  • Options

For those that may have a wobble between now and Next Sunday.

WHEN YOU STAND ON THE START LINE  "When you stand on the Start Line, you join the club. When you stand at the Starting Line you earn your membership. Millions dream of being where you are. You are no longer a dreamer. You are a doer. Thousands more started a training programme but never finished. They started with the same enthusiasm (or more than) you. They started with more or less the same physical gifts or disadvantages as you did. They had no more and no less reason to be successful than you. But somewhere along the way, they lost that enthusiasm. Somewhere on the road or on the track or treadmill, they decided that the rewards just weren't worth the effort. They decided that they could live without finding their limits, without challenging their expectations of themselves and without taking a hard look at their image of themselves. You didn't. If you’re standing at the Start Line, you've not only accepted the challenge, but you've also beaten back the demons. You've conquered your imagination and self-imposed limitations. You've gone further, got stronger and become tougher than you ever imagined.    
  • Options
    Miss Knees wrote (see)
    Squeakz wrote (see)
    Miss Knees wrote (see)

Well if you don't know now then you never will image
    I deciced to text the OH and see if it works for me.

...."I have a sore foot, I need a Porsche" - I will let you know her responce
  • Options
    Miss Kness :- don't work for me, she asked if im smoking crack image
  • Options

Hahahahahahahaha image

It only works for female logic, I should have mentioned that image

• Options
    Or maybe it's just MY logic?? image Stood me in good stead so far image
  • Options
    "Oscar Time" for me please!

On the subject of drugs, I have taken both brufen and codeine before races with no side effects at all. Couple of observations in my quick scan of the last 4 pages (you lot move fast image ) -

- much of the hype around drugs is aimed at professionals who are meticulous in getting thier BMI to a critical point prior to a race

- I have been running with voltarol (GP prescribed) now for some weeks due to runners heel, with no side effects. These are more powerful than brufen

- Louise - one thing you should take care of is taking any medication like this on an empty tummy. Add 'food' into your post race list before the painkillers

As most have said, if you are worried, don't do it. You'll only spend the run fretting. PLUS - never try something new on race day!