Options

Christmas Cracker 10K

Comments

• Options
    Nnnooooooooo!
    I'm sure I entered this one quite late last year. Cant apply until Saturday when my other half can sign his form (or shall I just forge his signature?!)
  • Options
    Ah, you are such a nice honest person!

I thought everyone got to be a dab hand at signing for their partners!

My parents are dreadful with it. My mum takes care of all his paperwork and signs stuff routinely. Well this one time he was being efficient and did something for the tax man himself + signed it himself and they sent it back asking him to check and resign it as the signature didn't look right! It was the first genuine one in donkeys years!
  • Options
    I heard about the Jolly Holly Jog 10K (28th December) on another thread and I'll be sending off my entry tomorrow. Another chance for getting a 10K PB before the end of 2003!

I think this means I can eat loads more Christmas cake but if I have not managed to achieve my 55 minutes goal before Christmas I'll just have to save the icing until after the 28th. And the mince pies. And the chocolate log. And the Christmas pudding. Doh!
  • Options
    I'm in !! Got my number today - and very strangely it is 28 ! Odd when HB got his ages ago and it was 355 ??
    Have you had any luck yet Cat ?
  • Options
    Rincewind my dear, you are transformed I notice.
    I only sent my entry off on Tuesday so I am still chewing my nails waiting to see if I'm in. Hope they reply soon or I'll have to start chewing my toe nails instead.
    Perhaps if it isnt full yet I'll get number 1 if the numbers are going backwards??
  • Options
    Something odd is happening with the numbers. I am 509!

So excited!

10k virgin....

Quick question from the uninitiated! My husband was pulling his face a bit yesterday asking what he was supposed to do for the hour or so that it takes me. What do "Supporters" do? (Apart from the obvious...)

(~:
  • Options
    Last year my supporter trotted up and down a road in the middle of the loop to cheer me on twice each lap! How fabulous is that? It was early days in our lurve...
    He'll be running this year though.
    And beating the pants off me.
    Again.

My parents turned up last year also, but my mum was in the pub when I passed on the first lap. Hmm... Sometimes I'm surprised that I turned out the fully rounded individual I am...
    I saw this old bloke in the distance, all alone cheering people on and thought 'oh how lovely, a local chappie come out to jivvie us all up' Then as I got closer I thought 'b*gg*r me - its me dad!' and ran a bit faster as a consequence.

So, there is a pub on the route if they want to just nip out and cheer when they think you might be running past...
    Theres also a pub straight on up the hill after the start that does food all day for those after race rewards...
  • Options
    Cat - The tablets worked and no longer a chicken dupiaza am I !
    I posted mine on Friday 1st class and got number on Wed so hopefully you'll find out over the weekend.
    If tortoise is 509 out of 400 I reckon they are using some sort of random number generator or last years left over numbers. ( Very nice they are too with Christmas Cracker written on them ).
    My significant other is wondering what she's gonna do - but I told her that the time between the last people leaving her sight and the real runners appearing after lap 1 will probably only be 15 mins max.
  • Options
    I think I was number 750 last year, with only 300 - 350 runners. Hmm.
    I'll go for the random number selection idea.
    Rincewind. Oh if it makes her feel better I'll stay with her for the first lap, you stay with her for the second!
  • Options
    Still no word Cat ? You'll have run out of nails to chew !! Maybe they just waiting to give you the coveted number 1 !?!
  • Options
    Still no word. I suspect a spectator I am this year.
    A spectator from afar - from my nice warm sofa.
    Such is life. Best get my application form in for the jolly holly jog quick sharpish otherwise I will turn into a very large christmas pud (I dont seem to be doing any exercise at all at the moment - with very feeble excuses)
  • Options
    Now look Rincewind, you're at it again aren't you? Transformed yet again, whilst I'm the same old me. A me, that is that recieved race numbers this morning!!!!! Hurrah huzzah!!!!
    I'm 5 hundred and something. Cant remember what - bit tired today - at work in body but the soul has stayed in bed.
    The other half is number 30. They must be under the illusion he runs fast or something. (runs faster than me anyway).
    So nobody got the illustrius number 1.
    Shucks...
  • Options
    And I know I cant spell illustrious
  • Options
    Thats brilliant news Cat, glad you're on board. All that bluff about watching from the sofa must have worked.
    I'm worried about the numbers, hope they haven't given me 28 cos they think I'm good, unless I put the wrong time doen on my form ....
    As for the piccy, I thought I should have something Wizardy to go with the name - for a while at least.
    When your body catches up with your mind, let us know what number you've got.
  • Options
    Ah yes the bluff must have worked.
    I think my number is 510 but my mind could be overtaking my body there. If so I shall just have to wear my sunglasses and blow kisses at everyone and hope y'all recognise me. (or else just stand next to number 510 grinning wildly).
  • Options
    Morning all!

I am getting really nervous about this, and so am going to be a pain and ask yet more advice.... Apologies...

I've been training alternate nights swimming 1 mile and next night plodding at av HR about 145 for between 45 mins to an hour. Been doing this for months (June, bit less routine before that, plodding 3 times a week I guess) Still I'm so slow! What do you think, should I try running 10 km as fast as I can and see what my time is then is there a humiliation cut off point at which I should not bother turning up?

BOO HOO! Goodness knows I'm improving but I'd kind of hoped that the progress would be quicker. In my head I still see myself as 16 stone struggling with size 24's in Evan's! Five and a bit stone later and my head/confidence have not caught up.

Why is nothing in life easy just once!
  • Options
    Tortoise - Does the fact that you are no longer giggling show how worried you are ??Selection of useful rules from the forumites for all occasions
    Rule 1 - Never give up ( unless injury says otherwise ).
    Rule 2 - No matter how many turn up, someone will be last so dont worry about that.
    Rule 3 - You have to turn up, or else your confidence really will be shot !
    Rule 4 - We'll all be there to cheer each other on - ( and Cat says there's a pub on the route so we can hide in there and just do one lap ! )
    Rule 5 - Think how good you'll feel when you complete it !
    And finally it will probably be covered in snow so we'll all be walking anyway !
  • Options
    due to my present state of health (concussed!!!) I'm having to take a step back from Sunday's Leeds Abbey dash, so this race has now been pencilled (posting off tomoro - shall be penned asap!) in as my first ever race!!

tortoise! Im in the same boat as you: fairly scared, working my weight down, getting better but still feeling like I will be the fool who'll be last!

however this place (I'm a long time lurker) has helped a LOT. There once was a thread in beginners about people who had been last, and it stopped me worrying - if you come last in the race its still much better than the very many people who are sitting watching tv not doing themselves any favours at that moment when you cross the line - its your moment!!

No matter where you finish your first race you've won the first challenge: the challenge to be able to run a race you set yourself back at day 1 (even if you didnt know it!).

Remember day 1? five stone ago, when you could perhaps only shuffle 50m down the road then stop (if you were anything like me!). Its a long way to come, no matter where in the field you place (and I know it won't be last! :o) )

Best of luck!!!

Peter
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for making me feel better.

Rincewind, your point 4 reminded me of cross country at school. Was not a model pupil. The course included running (?) up a hill past a small wood up to a small road and then along and down the next side path and back past the same small woods. Shame of shame I was one of those dreadful kids in the woods lurking for a reasonable amount of time until a suitable number of fellow pupils had passed and then slipping back in and among friends. The stupid thing is we always almost froze to death doing the lurking! We'd have been better walking round! Ah, the logic of youth. (~: I guess we've all done daft stuff.

PS Yes, too nervous to giggle!
  • Options
    2½ weeks - but who's counting ! Got a cold so can't breathe enough to do any plodding either. Just what I need when I'm supposed to be heading towards the peak of my fitness.

Yes I am joking. <Giggles>
  • Options
    Tortoise. Whaddaya mean you lurked in the woods? I ran (ha ha) and still got lapped anyway in school cross country, which was definitely not cross country - just twice around the edges of the field, or once if you were as slow as me. At least you had woods to run round.

Just found out theres a good Christmas bash on Saturday 13th. So if I make it to this run at all, I expect to re-live my school cross country days and be lapped.
    By everyone.
  • Options
    My works xmas meal is on the Friday night luckily so i have a day to recover.
  • Options
    I have something on on the Friday too so I'll be doubly knackered.
    Does that make me sound like I have a fabulous social life?
  • Options
    LOL !
    You know what they say - Tis the season to be jolly, and fat and drunk ( I updated it a bit to suit myself ! )
  • Options
    Hello all!

Saw the long term weather report and it looks like it won't rain! HURRAY! Am I a wimp or wot.

Hope you are all keeping well and avoiding the seasonal colds that seem to be everywhere, yuck!
  • Options
    Hi tortoise. Hope your meteorological ( surely thats spelt wrong ) forecast is correct ! Dry would be seriously preferred - although wet might help Cats hangover .......

I've already had the cold - just started plodding again on Tuesday after over a week off - boy is it difficult !!

Only a week to go now - I'm getting excited already ( no don't put me in the padded jacket again ..... )

Keep fit and cold free !!
  • Options
    Why oh why might wet help my hangover?
    Because I am more likely to pull the duvet over my head and stay in bed if it's raining?
  • Options
    Well, not quite what I was thinking. More along the lines of a nice sea breeze and rain would help dull the pain and clear the head.

OK - I'll shut up.....
  • Options
    Does anyone know whether this race is full yet? A fellow club member fancies entering on the day but it is a bit of trek just to discover that it is full.
  • Options
    Hmm, if my hangover is bad on the day perhaps we could arrange with the organisers for him to have my number. Then I could cheer everyone on from the pub on route. Hair of the dog and all that.