Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Well yesterday's club XC turned into a hill session image. Ended up working near Brizzle today, so did not make it back for tonights speed training (though I would've done some easy laps after yesterday).My wife had to get a babysitter in so she could still go out tonight. I got home at 8pm.

Tomorrow morning I will bimble round a lap of the Parkrun with both kids, then chill until the Henley supersprint on Sunday. 6am registration is very very early.

A question on socks. I haven't ridden without socks, but I really can't imagine it's too much different than normal. What I haven't tried is putting socks on wet feet. I don't want to try something Sunday I haven't tried before.

• Options

Stand on a towel whilst in transition and that helps dry them. Your choice of socks makes a different too. I know that sounds really stupid but I have some above ankle running socks that are quite tight and stiff to put on. Then I have some ankle socks that are really easy and slip straight on with no probs image Obviously they are the ones I use.

But I confess I haven't tired without socks - so looking forward to hearing how everyone does on Sunday.

• Options
     Chilli..Cat.......turn your socks half inside out so your just sticking your toe in first and put plenty of talc in them that should help image good luck mate and to everyone else who's racing this weekend. image
  • Options

29th May Speedy beaver Race Report (sorry no times or splits as of  yet!)

So I spent last night chilling out just watching Titanic, and trying not to think too much about the race. Up at 5.20 am for the 20 minute drive over to Belvoir Castle (pronounced Beaver) for the start of the race. As i was getting ready, I was listening to the wind whistling though the trees and praying that it was not going to be too much of an issue.

Normally I race either with other members of my club or along with my OH so today was a bit different pulling up on my own. I was pretty prepared for the bike racking etc and was there around 6.30 for registration and bike racking depsite the fact I wasn't off until 8.20am. But after you have racked your bike, got the wetsuit on and been to the toilet about 5 times (and 5 times worth of queues) you end up not really having much time left to spare.

After being informed about the balmy 14 degrees water, I trekked across the field down to the lake. From the water exit to transition there was a field (400m) worth of running back to plonk your wetsuit down and get the bike. I was pretty confident of this, but it was hard work.

So counting down the minutes to 8.20 I find a girl who I met a couple of years ago and chat nervously sharing my fears about the wrist injury/shin splints/general nervousness and then it's time to get in the water. We are warned that the wind was making it slightly difficult for people to keep in straight lines, but I was more concerned about how chilly it was!

So i did a bit of breaststroke and positioned myself near the back of the crowd, there was probably around 100 girls in my wave. Then we were off! LEGS....arms.....feet in your face, very silty water, cold cold cold ice cream head! Then I settled into my rhythm and I was going steady. I even managed to draft for most of the race settling in behind a couple of girls. Round the first bouy, round the second and then onto the home stretch (of the swim). I kicked a bit harder and managed to exit ahead of the girls I had been swimming behind (cheeky, but very definatley legal to draft in swimming) and then it was a sharp exit into the cold winds on the exposed field.

I decided that I was going to take the wetsuit off and carry it rather then run in it and find I couldn't get it off later on. So T1, find bike....... helmet on, pick up bike and go. I don't wear socks and my shoes are already clipped on.... so I was pretty quick- I hope!

Out onto the road and pretty nippy, I was glad that there was a hill to begin with to get the blood pumping and my face warm. A pretty undulating ride, although at points the wind was right in my face and I was struggling against it. Turn right and downhill.... going well.... then we turn downhill and I reckon we're about halfway through, and then in front of us after a lefthand turn is a huge hill. (I reckon around a 8%) and it continues for a fair way. I was quite pleased as a couple of girls got off their bikes and walked.... i stuck to it, even though I was panting hard and really working hard. The rewarding downhill (with the awesome tailwind) was epic. I was chuffed that the last part was easier than the first (saving the legs!!!!)     .................................

• Options

And into T2.....

I rack my bike, helmet off, shoes on and off I go, very cautiously and thinking that if I was going to hurt I should stop as I didn't want to do any further damage.

The run was an out and back (1.5 miles out and then the same return) and it was all uphill on the way out (I managed to push the start button on my watch- I had completely forgotten in the panic start in the swim) and I clocked around 15 minutes for the first 1.5 miles. I was pretty tired and I was struggling to pace it up the hill, but looking at everyone running downhill, I knew that it would all be over soon. I was sweating buckets- so much for the cold water- and and finally made it to the turnaround point, grabbed some water and began the final leg of the run. Downhill all the way! Woooppeeeee!!!!! Finally it was over (clocking a massive negative split for the run at around 12:30 for the downhill!) if only I could have run both halves in that time!

And I was into the final stretch with the finish line in sight. And that was it!

I was lucky in that it didnt rain, although it tried quite hard to rain. The wind was pretty tough and the race itself was pretty challenging. I am really pleased though as it was my first tri after a long recovery with my wrist, and having missed 4 races this season so far (Half Marathon, Duathlon, 2 sprint tris) I am mega happy!!!imageimageimage

Hope that you enjoyed reading!

• Options
    Nice one Kerry well done image it was very windy today. I'll be there next Sunday with my Wife and 3 children eldest son has football tournament so don't think he will be finished in time.

• Options
    Well we took the caravan to Woodhall Spa so nice weekend away plus a Tri at the end image

The only down side not the best sleep over the last two nights but still a very enjoyable weekend.

Going there early in the Caravan ment on Saturday I could register plus I got to use the pool which was a 33m out door pool. It's a lot different to an indoor 25m that I'm used to so being able to practise made a big difference to me. I also drove round the bike route which ment I could see where the hills (mainly long slopes that went on and on lol ) and bad bends where. Then checked out the run route which was a nice long incline up a country road then down a street to town centre then back to park (this became very useful so I knew when to up my pace ) and the finish line.
  • Options
    I got to pool side early to check out what was going on, the wind was strong and it was freezing no rain though but lots of black clouds. My number was called and I had to have a red hat on, in my lane was 6 swimmers still image luckily there was a scheduled break before we went in of 4 minutes which ment 3 swimmers had got out. In we went and of we went, I started strong with 1 breath every four strokes and I felt good then the nightmare began. Slow swimmer in front couldnt go round cause swimmers on other side coming down so stuck for to laps then they got out, so back into my 1 breath every four strokes. Got out watch read 9.12 big grin plus first red hat out of water ( good time for me east Leake 10.02 ) of to T1 dry feet socks on tubes on then two blokes from my swim had come out after me and where off. This made my mind up not to put jacket on even though it was freezing. Out T1 and on bike the two blokes where to fast for me image they where fading into distance. The wind was really strong so I just had head down and just kept pumping my legs.
  • Options
    While on the bike I passed several riders but three more past me one had GBR Tri suit on and a helmet more expensive than my bike hehe. Got back racked bike helmet of and I was gone T2 done image o bike was 49 minutes ish which was same time as East Leake ( East Leake 21k Woodhall 24k) imageimage started run steady cause I had worked my socks of on my bike and they were solid. So steady up the hill a runner came flying past me but I stuck to plan and kept it steady. Up the hill down the street and started to up my pace ( had a word with myself that it wasn't a jog I was doing but a race) I could see the bloke who had past me on the run so he was my target. Past him then saw two of the blokes that had done me on the bike route so next target. Past them I was feeling good in the distance was a racer from my pool heat could I catch him??? Er no to much but did do 24ish 5k so pleased with that to imageimage unoffical time 1.28 400-24k-5k. Very windy bike but loved it image
  • Options
    Congrats ST and Kerry, sounds like you both raced hard.

Glad to hear you survived Kerry without anything breaking/getting worse its good that all the rest/rehab and effort you've put into recovering has paid off.

I've got my first tri next sunday. . . . . starting to panic somewhat.
  • Options

Congrats to all that raced this weekend.

As the in-laws had the kids last night we'd planned a relaxing evening. Unfortunately I got dragged to a horror film, so didn't sleep well. Up at 5am. Porridge and tea, followed by squash. Car loaded up with bikes and boxes.

Got to Shiplake College, registered, racked bike and set up transition area. Down to the pool for the swim. Queued up, and waited for the brief (didn't happen). In to the lane - outdoor pool nice and warm. 12 lengths to do. I was started as a lane-mate reached the other end. By the end of lap1 he'd pulled aside to let me through. I overtook the other person in my lane twice, which really surprised me. A bit more power in the legs to get past. 12 laps done. Out of the pool badly, and slipped back in. Out again and running ~100m in to T1. Mrs Cat5 was out of the swim before me, but didn't run in to T1. Our friend was ahead of me.

Bike shoes on (no socks). Helmet on, glasses on, run to bike start. On the bike and off we go! The route was rolling - or heavily undulating! General trend was downhill from Henley to the end of the road, but into wind.  Overtook our friend, and a couple of others before the first turn point. Cycling uphill but with the wind was easy, but then the hills bit in. 4.5 miles until the next turn point, up and down, up and down. Reached final turn point having overtaken a load more people. Final uphill in to wind to the College again. 2 final overtakes.

Back stretch and a quick spin to get the legs going.

• Options

Feet out of my shoes whilst still going. Into T2 with a cyclocross style exit (wasn't sure it would work - only tried it with on my MTB). In T2 realised I hadn't put my race belt on for the bike leg, so put that on. LH trainer on OK, RH a bit tight with the elastic laces.

Out into the run, past the pool, over a small incline on gravel image then a sweeping downhill onto the Thames path. Out for 1 mile through a few gates to a telegraph pole with cones round it, and a handwritten 'Turn Point' sign. Is this it? Was aiming for 7/mi for the run, but on the way out the gel I took at the beginning of the bike leg started to take revenge, and though I was going to throw. Overtook a few people on the run.

Round the turn point and stomach suddenly behaves and I get a kick from the gel. Off along the path towards the hill. The guy infront of me on the hill started to slow and walk, so continued to push through and run all the way up the hill (I love hills). All the way to the top, off course - back track for 20m to the correct gravel path (no sign!). Gave it legs and started kicking for a sprint finish.

300m swim (inc run to T1): 8:13
    T1:                                      0:52
    14.3km bike:                       29:43
    T2:                                      0:59
    3.2km run:                          14:57

Final time 54:49, final position 2nd!!!! imageimage

Mrs Cat came in at 1:22:27, and it was great to see her twice on the bike leg, really enjoying herself as if on a no-strain family ride image. I saw her again on the run leg and she was really giving it some effort.She finished 14th female and our friend came in a 4th female.

I'm up for an OW sprint now, but our weekends are filling up. Playing with the big boys then! Cracking morning out (I finished at 08:15 in the morning - Wetherspoons breakfast and a pint afterwards). Now very tired and waiting for bed!

• Options

Kerry,   ST.......well done you two on your races and great race reports image

Cat........ brilliant result mate and Mrs Cat.

Rode to parkrun with Des, told him to go and get his PB, and he did, just over 25mins a great effort by him. I sloped in just over 27mins, then we rode home again

• Options

Hurrah Kerry!!! imageimageimageimageimage Well done! You've put so much into this race and that was a great report.

ST - Another fantastic report! Huge congratulations. image

Cat5 - yours made me chuckle as I could just see you and Mrs Cat5 lapping each other. And you came 2nd!!! Wow!

No training this weekend. Went for a 5 mile walk with my hubby this evening cos my parents are here and offered to babysit the kids. But tomorrow is my 10k race and my girlies are doing the 1 mile fun run.  image

Have a great bank holiday Monday everyone.

• Options
    Good luck in your race today Chili.
  • Options

Well done ST and Mr Cat. Brilliant race reports!

Good luck today Chilli!

My splits are finally here!

Overall Position 398/452- not too bad but I came 18th in my age group out of 25 girls. The swim time for the 750m included the 400m run uphill to transition! I was chuffed with my run time considering all of the injury! My legs are really stiff today!

ST- will I get to meet up with you on Sunday?

398388KERRY ROUGHF25-2918City of Chester Triathlon Club00:17:1532300:01:2200:46:3040600:01:3100:27:3101:34:12

• Options
    I'm sooooooooo Frustrated my split times not worked again image that's both races now image anyway finished 294/510 1.28.25 image

Good luck Chilli and little Chilli's image

Kerry when the start times and race numbers come out we can try and plan a quick meet if not to far apart start wise image

Nice one Cat in the Hat image
  • Options
    Kerry start times are in your off at 1400 bib 042 I'm off at 1445 bib 095. image your in fast lane (6) image good luck hope to see you and OH there did you say he is racing to?
  • Options

Have had a great day image A lovely, shiny new PB of 55:36 for 10k road run. Am so thrilled. It was a great race.

Three of my daughters ran too. But it was for under 15yrs so although my big girl came near the front, there was no way she would win. But they had fun and we had a great time at the festival.

• Options
    Nice one Chilli and well done to the Chilli Beans imageimage
  • Options

/members/images/472942/Gallery/Broad_Oak_002_0.jpg

medals for my girls, pretty t-shirt for me image

• Options
    Looks like nice weather too it's been awful here although nice now.
  • Options
    Good result. Nice to see the sun in the pic. Busy building an ark here!
  • Options

00:17:15 position 323 750m Swim

00:01:22 T1

00:46:30  position 406  20km Bike

00:01:31 T2

00:27:31 5km Run

01:34:12 Total Time

realised it looked a bit confusing before!

Cheers ST. yes OH is racing at 14:40 and he is quick too in lane 6! I am really looking forward to that! Are you bringing family to watch? It would be nice to have someone there to take some photos, as that was the problem yesterday! Noone there to take any photos of me except for official photographer.

Well done Chilli and beans. Love the photo imageimageimage You did fabulous. I probably woudl have got a similar time myself! Hopefully!

• Options
    Kerry yes I will have my Family there on Sunday and my wife will take some pics for you if you want. We haven't decided what time we are going yet but will probably get there for 1ish, we only live 20 minutes away.

Right going to get my bike from my caravan and gonna do a hilly brick session today. 15k-5k image and a bit of drowning tomorrow image
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Congrats to all who raced at the weekend.

I blame my friends Happychap and Trogs for my weekend challenge. I did the short course of the CTC Guildford Sportive on Sunday, advertised as 100k but reality was 57 miles.
    I did it all on my own, even though others had said don't worry you will meet up with others.
    Guildford out over the Hogs Back and fairly quiet roads all the way to Liphook in Hampshire, feed station in village hall the 29 mile mark, then back via a different route, taking in a small section of West Sussex as well.
    Felt tired, ran out of water, used up all my gels and food, blagged some water off some nice men as they rode past. It was a life saver as I started to cramp up with 12 miles and 4 miles to go. Finished in 6 hours and 20 mins, 33 seconds. Stopped at feed point for 20 mins then again 3 times on way back due to cramp, so overall did it in roughly 10 min miles, which is not too bad for a beginner that walked up 5 hills and the wind. If you were out of the wind you were on a uphill bit. The elevation was 2930 ft. Felt great at the finish when eating bowl of hot pasta, legs have been a little sore and tight, but a long walk yesterday seems to have helped.

I don't know how anyone could do a swim before that and a half marathon after.

• Options

Well done.

"I don't know how anyone could do a swim before that and a half marathon after" - it's called "training"! Anyone can do it if they put the work in. Honestly.

• Options

Wow! Steady. Some bike ride! image

• Options

Congrats all you who raced at the weekend, I really enjoyed reading your reports - well done!image

A beautiful Devon lanes gentle run and some sea swims - yaay - for me this weekend. I did 3 consecutive days 800m swims, but it was so so cold (in a bthing suit) that I couldn't swim FC, or even put my face in the water to breath properly with breaststoke - it was all I could do to stay calm with my breathing and swim as hard as poss with head out of the water. I'm really hoping swim caps make a difference to head temperature! 

Still I was delighted to get in and do some OW, surrounded by leaping mackeral and diving gannetsimage

Hope you all have a great (post race) week.

S