Options

'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Red - and JJ - come to Wales and get some of our rain. Plenty to spare.

Ran in Aberstwyth today, along the sea front which I always enjoy even though (it being half-term) there were a lot of people to dodge. Was very windy. Not wet. Well, I expect the sea was, but I wasn't in it. Thin cloud and gleams of sunshine. 

Hope those toes are getting better, TE and JJ. 

IW - shaking (with cold) too much to put your socks on does not sound good. Very impressed by your sea swimming. I swam last year in the Med off Greece, but that was very different from what you've been up to! 

• Options
    Perversely, and perhaps with hindsight, I actually enjoyed the sea swims! But then I really don't mind cold. What I don't like is the salt - the first time in on Saturday morning I swallowed quite a lot of water because the sea was so rough, and then I threw up. The 2nd swim was better and on Sunday our group leader brought a bag of crystallized ginger, that helped me enormously. I remember another forumite saying she drank ginger tea during her solo Channel swim.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

I am so kernackered from gardening, gardening, gardening! My hands would look good on a navvy image

IW, I never liked swimming in the sea because of all the effluent that they used to dump (no pun intended!) in there. I believe the water quality is better these days. I think you are very brave doing the cross channel relay as I would be scared as I'm a weak swimmer.

My plods are nothing to write home about at the moment, just maintenance runs, so I won't image
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    Hmm, that channels swimming lark keeps calling to me. I suspect the reality would be very different from my imagination - well done IW.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't dare attempt to swim the channel as someone might harpoon me! image
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Red - all the hard work in the garden must have left it looking wonderful.

Sun shining brightly, not a cloud in the sky, so decided I'd better run early before it got too hot. Went for 45 minutes along a hilly moorland road, turned round and ran back home. Probably didn't compare with JJ's escarpment, but still left legs feeling decidedly wobbly. 

• Options
    It's quite scary to contemplate - but then you have to push yourself sometimes, don't you? I'm a bit apprehensive about night swimming, bet we get called to the start at 2 or 3am! I've been informed though that the pilot boat shines a spotlight on the water and you swim within that pool of light during darkness hours. The time goes quickly once you're actually in the water - I was surprised in Portsmouth when our leader said we'd been in for 30 mins already,  time to head back.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    OMG I hadn't realised you'd have to swim in the dark!

Columba, my gardening efforts were but a drop in a very large ocean and there's loads more work to do yet image

Just did about 3 miles xc earlier before the winds arrived again.
  • Options
    Sounds like our allotment Red! Very warm here now, so I think the week-end will entail a lot of watering. We still need to clear much more space for planting out too, which will lead to more watering.............

Hope it cools down a little by 7pm, when I do out with the club this evening.

Ground now rock-hard in the forest - good for strengthening or turning ankles! I was a bit nervous during the inter-club race, but got round unscathed, and slightly faster than the previous one (it probably wasn't as hilly, though some of the climbs felt hard enough).

I'd also feel nervous about night swimming, though if you have a light I suppose it would be fine.
  • Options
    I've only swum at night in a pool, that's really nice - I'm betting that the English Channel won't be so inviting!
  • Options
    Hottest day of the year in the south at 26 deg. although I am sure in the forest it was hotter. I ran 5.25 miles and really suffered in the heat. My eyes were smarting with sweat, sand and tiny flies. It was very windy which was blowing the sand everywhere. I wore my cap to protect my eyes from the sun, and factor 30 sun lotion. Despite the lotion, I could feel the sun burning my face. I'm hoping it will be cooler tomorrow, when I am planning a longer run.
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭

The thought of 'whatever else is attracted to the light' gives me goosebumps, but I would guess that's part of the 'panic' that people report when open-water swimming.

Thinking about it does make me think it's worth having a go at one day. I wonder if I can find enough other people mad enough to make a team?

TE - it has been hot here in the suburbs too. Well done for running in it.

• Options
    Like everyone else it seams i'm just ticking over, 5 miles tonight in very warm conditions in a suprising 52-02. i seem to be running better since my London marathon, it maybe that i'm not as tired as when i was racking up loads of milage.
  • Options

Another blistering hot day and I ran 8.75 miles in the forest this afternoon. I managed to locate my wrist sweat band, which was given away with "Todays Runner" many years ago. It was great, as sweat started running into my eyes after the first mile. It was the first time I had worn it for years and was so glad that I hadn't thrown it away.

• Options

Eves wrinklies and hope all are well?

IronWolf, I would love to join you.  Unsure of the date you are doing it but schuuukkks I shall be busy I know I will be image.  Great respect for swimming in the sea at night [gulp]  I don't think I could do that!

Am well and truely back running now and have upped my mileage significantly (for me).  Ran 8 miles on Wednesday and 5 miles today.  Plan to run tomorrow and aim for 10 miles with the club I have joined.  Not sure how I will do but they are extremely friendly and very supportive so feel sure  I will be OK.

I am toying with the idea of running a half marathon mid July.  Think I am pushing myself but think that's how best I progress.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Rabbit - mid-July? If it's hot, will you cope?

Helegant - I'm trying to imagine what might be attracted to a patch of light at night-time over the sea. Jellyfish, maybe? 

Red - I too have been busy in the garden. Something to show for it, - three wigwams of bamboo poles, each pole with a young runner bean plant at its foot. One of the local cats promptly came and dug a hole, fortunately without uprooting any of the bean plants. (The wigwams are in raised beds, and prior to erecting the wigwams I'd had the beds covered with netting to keep the local cats off).  Have now criss-crossed the beds liberally with prickly sticks; this usually discourages the cats, provided the stcks are really prickly and really liberal. 

No running today; hoping for tomorrow, by which time it may be cooler, - already cooling-off late this afternoon.  

• Options
    Hi Everyone,

Apologies for being quiet for a few weeks, I've been relaxing after my hectic running schedule in April! Had a good holiday in UK last week which included a very nice pub lunch and natter with Terry (TE). When we meet again in August, we will venture out on a nice trail run in the New Forest before another pub lunch!

My 16 week training programme for the Berlin Marathon begins tomorrow and I'll be following a 3:30 training plan (again) with the intent to finish just inside 3:30 hours not just outside 3:30 as in Brighton in April!

Hope you are all doing well and have a good Summer - although it's 32C in northern Germany today and I was 'dripping' even after my early run today!
  • Options
    Well it's certainly much cooler here today, and currently raining, which the garden & allotment will be grateful for. It was still very warm at 7pm on Friday, for the club run, and I struggled, maybe partly as a result of the temperature.

Went to a friend's birthday BBQ yesterday evening, and it felt almost Mediterranean - very pleasant for outdoor eating, and the event reminded me of France, as there were so many of us, all at tables in the garden - the English tend not to do things on such a scale unless it's more formal.

I'd really struggle with marathon training in those temperatures, Tony - good luck!

Good going with your increased mileage Wabbit.
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Good luck with the training programme, Tony. 32 degrees would be a no-no for me. How warm is it likely to be in Berlin by the time of the marathon?

Ran about 3 and a half miles off-road this afternoon. Up a farm track and into the hills. Started raining just as I started running; I had intended to go further (exploring paths I haven't been along before) but got put-off by the rain, which gets all over my glasses which I cannot manage without as I'm short-sighted, so turned and went back down. Don't even know how long it took me, as my stop-watch turned out to have stopped before I actually went to stop it. Don't know how that happened; possibly when I was wrestling with a gate (there were 3, to open and close again. Well, that makes six open-and-closings by the time I'd come back). All I know is, it was more than 24 minutes as that's when the watch had stopped at.  

• Options
    Indeed it was hot yesterday! Olympic triathlon completed, but I found it very hard in the heat. The swim was ok, actually managed not to be last out of my lane. The bike course is tough, has an 11km climb up through a forest, did that ok but found the accompanying clouds of insects a real bother. Got back to transition, set out on the run, and that's all she wrote! An absolute disaster, couldn't raise more than a trot and was almost walking on the first lap, the slowest 10km I've ever done in my life, and the worst time I've ever posted for an Oly. Finished dead last. Still, I finished, and was rewarded with a medal and 2 bottles of wine for winning W60 age group - not hard to do when you're the only one!
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

We've got a bit of rain at last! Not much, but better than nothing and enough to kick-start the grass for the animals to eat. I felt rather proud yesterday as I ran across a field belonging to a rather posh neighbour and noted that their method of strip-grazing had actually resulted in their fields being very over-grazed and in need of oversowing whereas ours, although a bit parched, will recover with this bit of rain image

IW, well done you for finishing in the heat and congratulations on your prize. It doesn't matter that you were the only one in your age group as it just goes to show that you are brilliant for getting out there and doing it.

Tony, welcome back and good luck with your training. I'm tweaking a plan to make it 18 weeks for the Liverpool marathon.

Diana, I love that sort of informal gathering in the garden.
  • Options

Morgen All,

Nice to hear from you all again!  

Columba - Hopefully the temperature will drop for Berlin by Sep - last year they had torrential rain in Berlin for marathon day!  

IW - Well done for completing the triathlon yesterday - good effort!  

Red - Good luck with Liverpool.    I'll do that one day with Terry (TE).

JJ - How goes your training?   What's next? 

Disappointed not to get any Olympics tickets so will have to enjoy on TV instead!

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    IW - Completing an Olympic tri deserves a tremendous accolade IMHO. I wonder if you were the only woman in your age group competing, or if there were more but they DNF? Also whether there were any over 60 men competing? Even in straightforward running races the competition, esp-ecially among women, does seem to thin out a lot in the older age groups.
  • Options

Thanks folks, your kind comments make me feel a little better, after yesterday I was contemplating giving up racing.

Columba - I was definitely the only W60 who started, I often am, except in longer distances. I did scan the start list to see if there were others, there were not. In M60 there were 6 men, including John who beat me by 33 minutes.

The start list for Ironman Regensburg has 4 W60s and over 30 M60s.

• Options

IW congratulations on completing the Olympic Tri. a fantastic achievement.

Red do you know the route the Liverpool Marathon will take? I ran it 3 times in the eighties, but I imagine it will be a completely different one now.

Columba good luck with your marathon training.

Did an interval session on grass this afternoon. 1.5 mile warm up and warm down, and 6 x 440 yds with 90 sec jog recoveries. Splits were :- 1.47 1.46 1.48 1.44 1.45 and 1.47. Very pleased with the session as it is the first time this year that I have done all the efforts under 1.50.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    TE, yes, it's very different from the old route. Starts in Birkenhead park and half of it is on the Wirral side with the 2nd half on the City side. The route is on the website if you'd like to take a look: http://www.runliverpoolmarathon.co.uk/the-course/

We found Mike's certificate from when he ran it in 1983 the other day. He had trained with 2 chums for over 12 months and then 3 weeks before the race one of them broke his leg playing football and then 2 days before the other one twisted his ankle but decided to still go ahead with it. They had been training towards a 3:30 finish but his friend couldn't keep pace so Mike stayed with him at his slower pace until he gave up around mile 17 and then Mike took off. He said he literally sprinted the last few miles (he must have had some strange looks!) and finished in 4:06.

Although he only ran the one marathon and I have run 23 I shall never better his time image