Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options

Nice park wins from jamesito and FR - nice sub-17 too!

MtR - Is it the wetsuit make you more buoyant and thus allows you to focus on pulling yourself forward?

JH1 - Hope the tri goes well

Messi - Have you got yourself a target race yet?

Thanks for the links to Mo - I had been looking forward to watching it this evening but some tosser at runnerslife put the result in my facebook feed - not impressed!  Still watched it but it loses a lot when you know the result.

Got myself onto a track today for the first time since I was in school.  I actually bought a pair of spikes very shortly after I left school (before I realised that running wasn't working for me) so they had their first outing today.  It was as part of the Southern Men's League.  Given that all the better runners were running in the BAL we were a bit short on numbers (in fact the spikes are older than one of my teammates!) and we only had 4.  Surprisingly the other 3 all preferred the field events so I went through most of the track card managing the 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500, 5000, steeplechase and 4*100.  I didn't finish last in every race but it was a close enough thing.  It was nice to get back on the track again but a painful reminder of how much slower I am than when I was in school.  I think I might take todays times as my new P.B.'s!

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the thoughts.

Will probably be spending a bit of time in the West country/Bristol area over the summer. Will endeavour to search out some new runs. UTMB still the A race for the year, but circumstances conspiring against at the mo. We will see.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Clearly: your post " so I went through most of the track card managing the 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500, 5000, steeplechase and 4*100" reminded me of the "joys" of running track league. Just be thankful you didn't also have to do Pole Vault and Hammer.....maybe next time.

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭
    Dan, sorry to hear such bad news. Best wishes to you in these tough times.
  • Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Dan, thats awful news, really sorry to hear that mate. Thoughts with you.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Blimey, Clearly - a busy afternoon!
  • Options
    Clearly wrote (see)

I went through most of the track card managing the 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500, 5000, steeplechase and 4*100. 

What was the hardest bit? I have sometimes done the upper end and hurdles (400mH 110mH 800 1500 5000 and chase) and the worst bit for me was the chase after the 1500 with only the 4x100 recovery. I can't imagine what it is liek without the recovery.
  • Options
    Dan - awful news! Hard to know what to say, but sure everyones thoughts are with you.
  • Options
    DanA. Shocking news. Best wishes to you and yours.
  • Options
    Very interesting reading reflections on Olympic ticketing. I had planned to 'buy' some but couldn't bring myself to commit so far ahead, or to give someone my cash over a year in advance (is there a single example where anyone has ever done this?) so never quite got round to it. It does seem to be shaping up nicely to be sort of successful while leaving a bad taste for almost everyone. Smells like the minnellium dome already.
  • Options

Got back last night after a week of dismal weather in Majorca with another family, but we did manage to fit in 325 miles of cycling (including 8000 metres of climbing) topped off with 33 miles running.  A great place for cycling, I must say.

I'll try & read back later, but huge sympathy to DanA, awful news.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    What a difference a day makes: after yesterday's heat and humidity left me a sweaty betty, this morning my hands were cold by 12k due to the wind and the rain! I have had a long, hot shower and now have a craving for soup or similar hot comfort food. It's June, FFS!!!
  • Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

Just had a massive read back (at work) of the last 3 weeks postings. I've been on holiday.

Some pretty good training and racing going on especially the Swash guys toughing it out. Good effort Clearly; made me feel guilty for not turning up to even watch due to not getting in until the early hours. Not good news on the Olympic ticket allocation but why aren't I surprised. Really sad news DanA, had something similar a couple of years ago so my thoughts are with you.

Spent a couple weeks in Fethiye, Turkey. Managed to get a run in on most days but had to go out at 6.30-7.00 because of the heat. Very hilly also but managed a few decent sessions. Hands feel like they been driven over due to long beach volleyball sessions; good fun, though not as much fun as watching Barca destroy Utd in a room 3/4 full with Manc fans. Got out on 90mins before it turned nasty.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

terrbily sad news there DanA, sorry to hear that

JH1 - hope your race went well

CD - nice mileage there, and I was happy with about 200M last week. 

still struggling with sore ribs, had to bin my OW swim race y'day, but they also wanted me to run a teenagers game y'day, although I would have done the swim race if my ribs werent damaged, had to miss my local 10K race today too, so I gave myself a day off.

• Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    OS wrote (see)
    Very interesting reading reflections on Olympic ticketing. I had planned to 'buy' some but couldn't bring myself to commit so far ahead, or to give someone my cash over a year in advance (is there a single example where anyone has ever done this?)

The London marathon!

• Options
    DanA I winced when you posted about your mum, I just hope they've got the diagnosis wrong. No surprise your long run didn't go so well, I have tried similar long runs in the past when things haven't been going well for me but in such circumstances the body just doesn't seem to be interested and I always finish up walking. I hope things work out well in the end for you and especially your mum.

Met up with Stuart Little 2 for his weekend jolly to North London. Watched him run y'day morning in the Grovelands parkrun, and then this morning I took him on a tour to show him the glorious scenery that can only be found in Norf London. After 1 hour 45 mins I was totally out on my feet. He was great company but his tick over speed must be around 15-20 seconds per mile faster than me. After we said goodbye I coolly jogged off but as soon as I rounded the first corner I just had to walk.
    A really tough session but massively enjoyable and the shock the system needed to get me out of my post VLM11 flopsy comfy zone.

A big thanks to coro for posting the link to the Mo 10,000m race. Amazing performance.

Dull

• Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭

I found Canova's analysis over on LetsRun of the (incredible) 30,000m WR very interesting - looks like sub-2:03 could be on before too long. Just looks at these 10k splits

29’19”6 + 28’42”4 + 28’45”4

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4075208

• Options
    Ok, Tmap, good example. But I view this as a buying a low cost option to run, as well as buying a training incentive. But your right, a stone age like it or feck off mentality applies in both cases.
  • Options
    DanA sorry to hear your news, and don't keep it to yourself.

Clearly Nice pyramid session disguised as racing

Watched the vid of Mo, rather impressive, is it really 45 secs off his previous best 10K? 

Talking of events wanting money up front, has anyone got their gfa form back yet?

Oh, and I raced today, low key (did 18m yesterday so no taper) but did 1/3rd marathon off-road but flat  in 54:50 (I think but no watch), 9th o/a and 2nd v45 (£15 in vouchers).  Time not too hot, but first attempt at effort since vlm, so OK with it.  Tank was empty come the last mile, and it was hard and into the wind. But very few there, about 50% of the field of 2 - 3 years ago.  Concerning as it was a local clubs fund raiser.

Coro thanks for that link, I was very interested in the thought that Mo can get to 26' 40'' and he can win this summer.
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

Clearly -- gosh. Makes me feel guilty for declining a vets' 5000m this week because I thought my legs would still be a bit jaded 2 days after a 10k race.

I ran the Tilty Hilly 5 today (or as it said on the numbers, Hilty Tilty 5 -- not Hoity Toity at least). It was a small low-key village thing, but I got a nice trophy for coming 3rd. The prize presentations took a while so I took to lapping the school sports field by the HQ until they were ready (when they called me in on the megaphone, obviously having sussed me out!). Course-wise, the clue was in the name -- it started with a pell-mell descent out of the village, toured round with some more hills, and then we had the cruel climb at the end to reach the finish (plus a couple of hundred metres lumpy grass). Oh, and it was windy. Pretty much a solo effort for me, as I couldn't reel in the lead 2, but gradually pulled away from the guy in 4th. Scores on the doors: 28:15 or 5:39/M. I certainly wasn't troubling the £100 on offer to take BertieP's course record, which was posted up as something sub-26.

Edit: nice one on bagging some loot Drifter. I sent off a champs application letter for VLM soon after the race this year, and haven't heard anything yet, but then the deadline is way off.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    If the Hilty Tilty race was close to home, Charlie, please explain the definition of 'hill' :¬p
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Well played drifter and CW

Drifter - havnt had a GFA form yet myself, but then I havnt applied for one so no surprise there

• Options

Tom - Actually, I really wanted to do the Pole Vault but I arrived too late.

PMJ - The 1500m was the hardest because it was less than 10 minutes after the 200m which I did flat out because I thought I might catch somebody.  I don't know my time but I suspect it was slower than what I'd hope for in a mile reps session.  I skipped the hurdles because I'm one of the least flexible people I've ever met.  I would struggle even with a Daley Thompson technique.  The steeplechase was a last minute addition when we realised we were neck and neck with another club (beat them by one point in the end).  Even for that my calf was cramping every time I had to jump for a barrier and I had to revert to using my hands for a couple of laps.

Jools - Yes, it does appear that April and June have been swapped around this year

Mr. B - Sounds like you enjoyed your holiday.  I was saying to the team manager yesterday that I'd try and get one or two out next time and I did have you in mind!  A bit shocking that I was the best 5k runner that the club could turn out yesterday.  Next one is in Andover on July 9th.

CW - Drifter's analysis is pretty close although my body is giving out stink today - My long run has been postponed to tomorro.  It also helped that with a couple of exceptions I simply wasn't competitive (very nearly lapped twice by the winner of the 5k).

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Jools> If the Hilty Tilty race was close to home, Charlie, please explain the definition of 'hill'
    Ah, yes, well, err...! You probably wouldn't count the hills on the way round as more than undulations by non-Cambridge standards, but the final climb into the village was... well, not quite Hovis boy, but challenging enough for me, honest guv. OK here's the horrible truth; my big climb was only 25m altitude, though in quarter of a mile:

/members/images/390670/Gallery/hilty_med_0.jpg

(What happened to the CW who was doing the Bob Graham Round sections last summer, I don't know...)
  • Options

DanA that is awful news. Oh gosh image. I am glad you did share it but I am so so sorry. When I went through hell 2 years ago I found everyone on here so supportive and although I hadn't then met a lot of fredders the goodwill messages throughout made a lot of difference. Your mention of running around the Bristol area brought a wave of painful memory for me. Been there, done that, sometimes at insane times of the day (a 20 miler at 4 am around Frenchay stick in the memory). I found the Bristol to Bath pathway a good run. Lots of fred knowledge of the area.

Really not mindful to post anything else after that, but well done to everyone on various training and races. The Maths debate bemused me, but I'm glad to have missed it! I'm chugging away although a stomach upset on Friday meant I lost a couple of days. No bean sprouts bought lately though ...

One special mention of Mo Farah: that guy is absolutely storming at the moment. What a performance. Was at the front for several final laps on that link.

Anyway, more than anything - all best wishes Dan

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

All the best Dan, glad you got the mail.

CD.. nice training in Majorca, when we went a couple of years ago it poured it down most days.  'Worst rainfall for 76 years' we were told.  At least it proved that my waterproof mountain jacket is indeed waterproof!

Coro.. thanks for those splits, amazing stuff. 

Dull.. excellent work as a joggers tour guide.

TR.. hope those ribs heal soonest, they can be very stubborn.

Drifter.. good effort for an off road race.  Apparently GFA forms should be out by the end of June.

Good racing CW & congrats on another prize.

Organised 30 mile bike ride today, a fund raiser for CRUK.  It isn't a race as such but a few of the lycra clad brigade usually set a decent pace so I thought I would cling on.  Pottering along with the lead group quite comfortably then I get a bliddy puncture about half way.  Sorted it as fast as I could & just saw the 2nd group go past as I clipped the wheel back in.  Set off in hot pursuit which wasn't easy on me lonesome and in a sometimes troublesome wind.  Still, the pursuit saw me averaging 21mph on some lumpy & sometimes bumpy terrain which was pleasing, if not up to the standards of the Gobi household.  Finally caught the 2nd group with a couple of miles left.  Cycled to and from the start in Wetherby to give me 45m for the day. 

• Options
    Don't laugh, but I have a strange theory.
    My sciatica has been total he'll since the windermere marathon - painful just lying in bed, can't even think of exercise.
    Anyway, things heal given time, in the last two days it feels totally cured. It is like a miracle.

So, what happened?

Well, on Friday I was horribly ill. Had to go home and didn't eat for 24 hours. Then not much yesterday. This meant I spent most of Friday lying down of course.

However, what I reckon is this.... I've been completely stuffing myself with carbs for the last two weeks. When I do this, I always notice my muscles feel bloated. Is it possible that my muscles have been bloated and pressing on my already sore sciatic nerve, and now I have fasted, they are not?

Sounds a bit barmy, but could just 20 hours lying down be a cure?
  • Options

cw who were the two ahead of you.

I did the british league premier league at cardiff came 4th in the b string in 15.59. from lap 2 I ran by myself as the group ahead of me was too fast and 2 runner behind were too slow. It was very windy around the back straight. So not good for times

Today I did over 14 mile for my 1hr 30 and it rained all the way through. I ran down the river lea. It was very hard at the end of 1hr 30 with the race still in my legs.

Next week St Albans half marathon

• Options
    Drifter wrote (see)
     Talking of events wanting money up front, has anyone got their gfa form back yet?
    I rang them up on Friday and they said they woudl send them out in 2-3 weeks
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

CD -- I meant to comment on your impressive volume of training earlier.

LD -- when I had back problems it was not sciatica but (I think) some sort of muscle spasms; getting mildly drunk would sometimes effect a total, if temporary, cure. I never got anyone to prescribe me some more official muscle relaxant.

GAWD> cw who were the two ahead of you
    No results up yet (should appear here), but I think #1 was Andrew Mynott (2nd last year), while #2 was familiar from the Hatfield Broad Oak 10k last week but probably not in first 2 then, so possibly one of Nick Beresford, Steven Prosser or Mark Newton (assuming he beat me then too). The field was smaller this year than last -- <150 on the results sheet I think (but I didn't get a proper look).
         Well done on your own race and rain-soaked training run too, by the way.