Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Gobi, I think something that really sums George up is that however well he did internationally, he always regarded being named Christchurch Runners runner of the year one of his proudest achievements. A real club man wore wore his Christchurch vest with as much gusto as his county vest or England vest.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Lord Didsbury wrote (see)
    I doubt whether even Tmap will dispute how scandalous and unfair the ballot was now.

I've been consistently moaning about it for a whole week now, so it's hard to see what you mean by that.

My point was that the unfairness isn't only about money; it's about operational crapness too.  It looks badly thought through and badly executed to me, for reasons nicely summarised by MtR (in particular, by failing to give a clue of the number of tickets at each price point).

• Options

RS - is this fatigue issue something that you're stuck with, or are there investigations still going on? Obviously it's good to spot the early signs and avoid a worse episode, but is there anything preventative on the horizon? Are your sleep patterns, diet, stress levels all OK?

RB - he got to meet me too, don't forget...image

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    CJ - yes he did always run in his club vest with pride. Wish I had the same attachment to a club.

12plus miles this morning at 7.XX. Nice run but feeling pretty down about things. Think I need a full fitness test as in ECG etc. does anyone know how you arrange these things.
  • Options
    Angry? I stop to remind myself that I have actually got tickets.
    I also remind myself I am more inclined to vote for a centre party than be some angst-ridden commie, so should be quite relaxed.

Also, when I think of the royal wedding (privileged few inside the abbey, the plebs locked outside, also at a large cost to the nation), I should console myself that it's no different.

Finally, Everyone knows sponsors will get tickets, and some will go overseas

However, by not distributing what remains (6.6m tickets) in a fair manner, they may as well have signed a contract with Satan! By misleading, and (apparently) lying they have made matters far, far worse. It makes it yet another party for the rich, paid for by the poor, to the benefit of a few egotists/political careers.

I would happily put my tickets back if they re-did the ballot.

If not, I would support every dinosaur union man that decides the Olympics is a good opportunity for the common workers to down tools and cause havoc next summer.

Anyone who volunteers their time for free should be pelted with rotten fruit outside the tower of London.

And I hope for a complete boycott of the torch procession.

That would showcase what we supposedly do best to the world - justice!

Apart from that I'm not Angry.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Gobi - your doc can set up an ECG for you. I had one when I had the Chest virus thing in 2007, I failed my through being too healthy ! Maybe you just need a few days off though.

As someone pointed out to me y'day, get your GFA form in and you can take part in London 2012 yourself !

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I shall go to France during the Olympics and cycle up and down mountains. Somehow avoiding the complaining and the British press seems like a good idea.

House for rent.
  • Options

PS, Tmap - in that case, I apologise.

I thought you'd said something about the prices being fair as they tested how much you wanted to go - ie, if you want them that much then pay more.

so, I'd immediately set you up as a MArie Antoinette pantomime villain in my twisted mind - forever associated with Seb Coe's "finest minds" (aka former Eton toffs)! Also, you wouldn't lend me a monkey!

I'll try to break the cycle of bitterness by getting out some photos of Maggie T, from her glamour days, and remind myself how good it felt when I voted Tory and she won!!!

• Options
    Gobi - escape the moaning and go to France? Mind all the people complaining that 12 weeks a year holiday is not enough, and that if they work until 61 they will drop dead then.....that's if you can get there with all the ferrymen on strike, and students storming the Bastille etc.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LOL Dids, points well made but my French is terrible so as long as I can get there ....

TR - I am not ill I am being paranoid after the death of GeorgeD that I mentioned above. Suddenly I have a desire to have answers to all those questions I never talk about.
  • Options

<<delurks>>

Gobi - BUPA will do it all as a 'health check' - for the appropriate fee. Nuffield etc probably offer similar.

<<relurks>>

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Hail Hail

Gobi - totally shocked.  Spoke to him briefly at Perth back in March and encouraged him (as I did with everybody) every time I went past.  Sounds as though he will be a massive loss. 

• Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Lord Didsbury wrote (see)
    PS, Tmap - in that case, I apologise.

I thought you'd said something about the prices being fair as they tested how much you wanted to go - ie, if you want them that much then pay more.

so, I'd immediately set you up as a MArie Antoinette pantomime villain in my twisted mind - forever associated with Seb Coe's "finest minds" (aka former Eton toffs)! Also, you wouldn't lend me a monkey!

Ha ha!  I have to confess I'm not sure how much a monkey is.  My servants follow me round discreetly with a bag of gold sovereigns to pay for stuff so I'm not familiar with these terms.  But I still didn't get tickets.

• Options
    Very sad about George. I lurked him on Powerof10 and he did have a great running CV. Nice photo of him there too wearing his England vest.

With ultra running being such a minority sport, such a high profile name dying due to their heart must affect numbers participating in coming years. A bit sad really.

The thread is 5 years old today. Good news for the thread, but possibly not for those who are listed on page 1 who have spent a fair part of their lifetime lurking or posting on here.

There are worse ways you can spend your time though.

Dull
  • Options
    Happy birthday Fred.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Dull - I know it has impacted me more than I expected.
  • Options

Hail Hail

Wow - Happy Birthday Fred!  Not many of the originals left.

• Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    45.3 posts per day for 5 yrs..........
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Happy birthday, Fred.

Sobering news from Gobi.

Did 5M easy with workmates yesterday evening - my first double since the knee went 'ping'.  Unlikely to run tonight, or if I do it'll be another short easy run.  Quality session tomorrow and Battersea Park 10k on Saturday.  Anyone else running?

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - no, not very often at the mo
  • Options
    So the 100,000th post should happen some time in June next year.  Probably discussing the finer points of aussie carb loading, yassos or moaning about Olympic tickets.
  • Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭

>aussie carb loading, yassos or moaning about Olympic tickets.
    I think LD will still be trying to get the masses to revolt. I don't rate his chances much, I'm sure the masses will still be stuck in front of BGT watching a dog doing a handstand.

Forget the spectators, this is where the real Olympics allocations are being decided

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

PtB - Cheers, it's still a bit of a gray area to be honest. When I had the initial problem two years ago I had blood tests while I was run down with what came under the umbrella of "post viral fatigue syndrome" even though I wasn't actually properly diagnosed by the first GP. Blood tests showed nothing abnormal. It was only after speaking to the second GP who I now go and see and who is very good and speaking to my Doctor friend that they both said it was a form of PVF due to unfortunate timing of cirumstances...half marathon effort/swine flu symptoms 3 days after= whammo on the immune system.

I've had 3 "relapses" for want of a better phrase since and then this mini one. The first I wasn't feeling 100% and was stupid to run 12 miles the next day. The next two were as a result of running my system too low through heavy weekends out with not enough sleep then not allowing enough rest before heavy exercise. This last mini one I think I've just been unlucky, did a very hard track session friday and a 20 mile run sunday. Must have been run down without realising it but this is the first time there doesn't seem to have been an obvious reason such as before, i.e stupidity and not resting up.

My sleep is good (it goes out of kilter when I'm run down like back in Jan/Feb but been fine this time), my diet is pretty good as a rule and I don't drink that much and as far as I'm aware I'm not stressed. My GP says anything to do with PVF is all a very gray area so hard to pin things down, my mate who is a doctor has said as much. They've both said there's an obvious chink thats been left in my immune system so this may happen again but it may clear up altogether but have also said it's kind of down to me to do my own research really.  I'm going to look into immunse boosting aspects of diet but I'm more aware of when to ease up now and reduce the risk of being completely run down. The strange thing is once I've rested and get back to running I can get back up to full speed very quickly. At worst I feel run down and have to ease off for about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks before getting back to normal with no obvious lasting effects.

I think my immunse system took a real kicking 2 years ago and what with being a heavy exerciser this is just going to be something I work with sensibly and carefully over time. I'm not hugely concerned though as I've got/getting a pretty good grasp of it and don't see it being a long term thing hopefully and in general I'm very healthy (jinxed, lol) Plus there are people with far worse things to contend with. Just done an easy 35 mins and felt fine but will see how I feel tomorrow.

Sorry a bit long winded but not a straightforward answer.......

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    The dog wants to be careful, Coro; I b*gg*r*d my neck doing a headstand...
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

3rd league race last night (10k again). Felt pretty rubbish warming up, really out of breath and tired, although not really surprising given the weekend's training. All the fast guys were there, so the initial pace was fast (3:15 slightly uphill) and I immediately knew it was going to be painful as I was really struggling within the first km.

Luckily the pace settled down a bit and I managed to stay with the main group for a while. Two guys went off the front and there was no way I could go with it. Through 5k in 16:35, but knew I would slow and wouldn't be able to react to any accelerations. I probably would have dropped out if it had not been a team event (two laps so very tempting!). Stuck with it though and counted down the kms - was actually surprised I could maintain I reasonable pace (3:25s) but when it came to the last 2km I could only keep ticking along rather than race anyone so ended up in 6th in about 33:30.

Not too bad considering - just slightly annoying that I couldn't be competitive. Very strong field though, and I certainly wouldn't have won whatever - the winner was with the 2nd group, about 15s behind the lead two, bridged the gap in the space of about 500m, then went straight past them and won very comfortably (low-32 I guess).

Legs also didn't feel sore at the end like normal, probably because I was too tired to work them really hard. Looking forward to the taper and hopefully feeling a bit sharper.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Padams - still a good workout though, Sounds like you're tired from IM training, so to be able to still run pretty fast is impressive.

Slightly less rib soreness than last week during my weekly run today, but its pretty sore now. I'll get back on the bike again for a while. I'd like to get the run frequency up to 2 or 3 times/week soon though as all the VLM fitness will be disappearing and once a week running is a shock on the legs.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Good to hear it is improving TR.

Nice effort on tired legs Padams

Maximal 500s at the track for me this morning and sub 80 seconds for the first time on 2 of the reps.

Tri update - OW water swimming last night and my best 2 laps yet, felt better in the water and went faster.
    Tonight I have a 30 mile TT which given how I suffer during a 25 on a Wednesday it could get very messy.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Official time 33:29, exactly the same as last year on the same course interestingly. Hadn't done much in the days before last year, but it felt easier as well.

Gobi - 30M TT is a bit of a random distance. Should be painful!

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Padams - club does normal stuff but we have a whole host of "Obscure" events as well.

Useful as I got into the national 50 miles championships!!!
  • Options

Padams - fine effort on tired legs, and dealing with the DNF demon at halfway too.

RS - ah, OK. Thanks for that, interesting. Must be frustrating to not know more (and to be told to DYOR by the doc image), but sounds like you're going about trying to deal with it - both prevention and mitigation - sensibly. You might find some sort of quick self-test that you have to pass before you allow yourself to  hit a hard session, or a max effort race. Hope you continue to keep it under control, anyway.

Mile reps with club last night, 3 x 6:00 and 1 x 5:52. I always get conflicted in sessions like that and hear voices saying I should HTFU and hit them hard (this being speedwork for me, there's no track work), and other voices saying to run them controlled. And usually end up somewhere in between.