Options

Padded Cell

Comments

• Options
    I would just like to say

AAARRRRGHHGHGHGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!1

I hate delays. I hate when my efforts are interpreted as 'worrying' because they didn't take me longer.
  • Options
    feel better now, dear?

Go on, let it all out...

:-)
  • Options
    No, not really, although my groovy Dutch friend reminded me that it won't matter in a year's time.

OK. I spend the past three weeks working my guts out on revisions. I emailed the revisions last Friday, but now the powers that be won't give me feedback on the next bit. Because they are worried that I might have done a crap job because I worked my @rse off and got it all done in the said three weeks. Am I being paranoid, or just oversensitive to words such as 'worried'?

Also, I think I have an infection in one of my eyelids, and will have to show up at the uni health clinic at 8am tomorrow.

ARGH!!!
  • Options
    <<virtually weeps on Snail's shoulder.>>

(do snails have shoulders?)
  • Options
    Hard shoulders, Hildegard.
  • Options
    Like the M1, only she goes on longer.
  • Options
    :-)

(looked a bit nasty otherwise)
  • Options
    i'm not doing a thesis at the moment but also having an awful day at work so AARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH also.
  • Options
    I have enough tears for infinite shoulders, methinks! Perhaps it will flush out the infection thingy if I cry enough?
  • Options
    Chimp, there's just been a very nasty accident involving the M1. No casualties apart from a large hairy mammal.

Hilde, they WANT you to be paranoid. It's all part of their strategy, their petty mind games...

You have to rise above it, and just tell them that obviously they don't come across people of your calibre very often... (actually, be v careful whom you tell - I did that once and it backfired VERY badly. It was a real effort to get out of that hole!)
  • Options
    Snail, no way will I say that!! I will humbly agree to whatever they think is right. Such is the way. Alas!
  • Options
    If you cannot find you own gags steal them from Monty Python. You think noone would notice, but I did Snail! Crafty you see.
  • Options
    what? what was the Monty Python gag?
  • Options
    One of my supervisors just e mailed me--
    with gossip
    he didnt even ASK about the thesis
    mind you, he knows of ny work situsation
    i have confessed all now
  • Options
    hey guys,

been following, if not contributing...

hope all theses going well, and sorry to hear about supervisor troubles - having some myself this morning and hildegard, i can assure that having a good cry (particularly in from of the whole research group - garners great support and offers to read drafts, etc) really helps. doesn't bring the supervisor back from multiple holidays, or convince him to meet and give you his full attention for even 5 minutes, but hey, you can't have everything.

good luck everyone...
  • Options
    Well, I'm still in supervsionary purgatory. Have been reading 'Manhood in Early Modern England' as preparatory reading for the next big project. Just had my Norwegian exam this morning, which was fine.

Clarence, what is your subject?
  • Options
    sounds more interesting than 'The history of historiography', which is what I was reading late last night. Had the desired effect of ensuring a decent night's sleep, at least...
  • Options
    Well, my other 'serious' choice is The Christianisation of Iceland. Looks seriously boring. Actually, your book sounds like it might be helpful with my Bede chapter, which is all on his Christian historiography. Or am I mad?
  • Options
    wow - some serious history going on here. i guess i'm a historian too, although of a very different nature - i'm working on the evolution of sand sea deposits in the southern arabian peninsula over the last 200,000 years. reading my own thesis at the moment to try to work out what my conclusions are. it's a sorry state....
  • Options
    oooh, Hilde, could do with your Bede chapter!

have you read Collingwood? The Idea of History. Quoted in Kahrl on medieval drama.

A bit outdated now, but a seminal work at the time (and, I'm arguing, a major influence on the subject of my thesis - but I'm having to prove it by showing that various friends of the poet were members of the Royal Historical Society and were in the habit of circulating pamphlets amongst themselves, cos my poet didn't own the book!!!). Anyway, some interesting stuff on history and medieval literature.

Clarence Kid - surely your conclusion would be 'good for camels'?!
  • Options
    CK, I hope you get to do lots of field work!

Snail, no I haven't read Collingwood. Spent loads of time reading French feminist theory, and its offshoots, instead.
  • Options
    If I remember tonight, will have a quick look to see if there's anything of interest to you - do you have access to a fax machine? I know I've got a couple of pages scanned in already and they're quite big, so might crash your email. Might have to actually do some work and type up my notes!!!

It's prob too late to be of real use to you, but if you're looking at historiography at all, you might want to be aware of Collingwood as he's so widely quoted elsewhere. I doubt there's anything in it that you won't have picked up/included already, but the part on medieval lit wouldn't take too long to read - I read the whole book in about 3 hours, it's a series of lectures.
  • Options
    Chocolate Hob-Nobs anyone?
  • Options
    mmmm, yummm yummm.

Just been told our server's being rebooted at 5.30 so no outlook for 30 minutes. B*gger that, I'm off home!!!! yipppeeeeeee!

Am I allowed 2, please, Chimpy? I've finished the first one already...
  • Options
    mmm, yes please, maybe choccie's what i need to stimulate another few hundred words before dinner time.

snail - don't think there were any camels about that long ago, but worth considering - i'll look into it.

hildegard - yup, went out to the u.a.e. twice, but that was so long ago i've forgotted what a sand dune looks like. trying to submit by christmas (there, i've said it, argh) so it's all data analysis and bullsh*tting about dodgy results now. moan.
  • Options
    Coming up.

You're the Earl Grey arent you, Snail? Go on, have two. Just make sure there's enough for Hilde and Clarence.

I'm off to Asda tonight (gin for benz) I'll stock up.

Dig in, Clarence, Hilde.
  • Options
    Yum, thanks Chimpy! I've just arrived home after walking for 40 minutes through the snow - so I deserve tea and biccies!

Snail, I shall definitely have a look for the Collingwood then, if only to footnote it.

CK, submitting by Xmas eh? I wanted to submit by October. Hahahahhhaa!!
  • Options
    oh, this is by no means the first submission deadline, although this time i'm hoping it really is the last one! i had dreams of october too, but didn't quite realise quite the extent to which i'd have to pull my finger out to meet that. this time i *really* mean it, although it remains to be seen whether my supervisor is committed to it or not - he keeps leaving the country and taking weeks if not months to read drafts. tell you what, though - those hob nobs are helping. might have to pop out for some non-virtual ones to stop myself dribbling. cheers chimp!
  • Options

sorry
    i will do some tomorrow i promise
  • Options
    Wow, impressive stuff!