Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Lee

Comments

• Options
    and there in sits my biggest problem, running slowly! Will do though!
  • Options
    run slowly this week or possibly not run at all next few weeks - should be easy choice!
  • Options
    The 6 miles were completed without further incident.  The hip has some stiffness, but no pain as such, whar pain there was happened as I ran downhill.  Much easier than yesterday, so far, so good...
  • Options
    Lee - great news but still easy, easy, easy...
  • Options
    that's good - doesn't mean injury potential has disappeared totally and if it's stiff it still needs treatment but that's encouraging that it isn't a major problem yet
  • Options

Lee, keeping figures, hope some easy  running is all that it will needed.

Yes entry accepted so I guess I will have to leave the hill training in March and do some road running!

• Options

No ill effects from yesterday, which may go down as one of the worst birthdays on record, injured and with a cold, left home before the family woke up, evening conference call from 5:30 to 10:30, overflowing header tank, wife fell out of the loft trying to fix it breaking my sons bed.  Still next year I'm 40 so it could be worse!

Steve what do you think I should do today, still stiffness in the hip area but no pain, it is marginally better than yesterday.  I see the Physio at 5:30 today but would prefer to run (if you advise) before hand.

• Options

Oh no - hope you have a better day today to make up for it! Happy 2nd birthday to go with your 2nd breakfasts image

Since you are now 39 you are already  embarking on your 40th year - I've heard it's a very, very good one - hope so! And anyway - 40 is the new 30! image

Hope the physio gets you sorted tonight and that your wife didn't hurt herself too much!

• Options
    Doesn't sound the best of birthdays Lee! Nowt wrong with being 40! I had one of my best years running when I turned 40. Interested to hear what the physio has to say, hope it goes well.
  • Options
    Back from the physio, with good news and bad, the diagnosis is a strained soleus muscle, probably due to the cold weather on Saturday during the long run (-7).

First the bad, no Wokingham this weekend as it would be too soon with the possibility of tearing the muscle

Now the good, it is only a strain so I can still run so long as I am not pushing, so I will learn running easy. Also so long as I follow the advice, which I will, I should be back up to full speed in 10 days.

A progression 6 tomorrow to find the easy pace
  • Options
    Sorry the birthday wasn't as great as could be but at least the physio gave news that while not ideal could have been worse and at least you can run steadily over the next week and long term it may actually work for you and give the whole body a slight rest before the really hard work in March.
  • Options
    I thought the soleus muscle was the one in the lower calf? How is that causing you pain in your hip? I know they're all connected eventually, but I am somewhat confused!

How is your wife? And your son's bed? Did you at least get any running gear as a birthday present?
  • Options

Mini-Hurray (I think!)

Now don't make me get my waggy finger back out image

• Options
    That's good news from the physio Lee - sometimes these forced periods of rest can be a blessing in the long run (no pun intended)
  • Options
    Good news Lee but I have to echo Speedy's comments. Weird for soleus to cause hip pain - presumably some referred pain phenomenon. Not to throw a spanner in the works but presunmably this is a tried and trusted physio ????
  • Options

Sppedy & Fraser, it is because I don't always listen intently and after a quick call it is the psoas muscle.  The Physio is very tried and tested, worked with the Aussie cyclists at the Sydney games and had this injury himself.  Appartently very common in ice hockey goalminders!

Wife is fine, well apart from being a bit grumpy!

Son's bed needs a new frame section, which I will have to fashion this weekend instead of Wokingham!

No presents at all (well aprt from the trip to centre parcs) the good thing the competition winners have a fairy godmother at the moment in Stacey from ASICS, so I have all the kit I could wish for and really good kit at that!

I MISS RACING!!!

• Options

Hi Lee.  Just popped in to wish you all the best for Wokingham to discover that like me you are having to stay away image

Glad that you are allowed to do some easy running though

• Options
    USB, it is proper poop when you are in good shape not to be able to use it, bad luck...we will be back!
  • Options

Hi USB - hope all well.

I've had a problem there too and the psoas must be pronounced like Soleus because I too thought they said something like 'solus' to me.

No consolation but Pete, last year's Asics fast runner is sort of your substitute at Wokingham and will be looking for a similar time as you were hoping for!

• Options

Steve, your right no consolation but will look out for his result.

I may have to run a park run when this is healed just to fix my craving for racing, there is a new one about 5 miles from my house so I can run there and back

• Options
    Hi Choisty, wishing you a speedy recovery. I know you're so motivated to get better that you will do as you are told by the physio, and Steveimage
  • Options
    Hi Steve - gave myself a non-running injury to my toe last week which thankfully seems to be healing quite nicely but I'm not chancing it on a race this weekend.
  • Options
    Lee - a ha ! Psoas - that makes a bit more sense. Don't stress yourself missing Wokingham - big picture and all that. We've all been there ! Just don't stuff things by doing too much just now
  • Options
    That was the most relaxed 8miler I have run on forever, really easy, some stiffness no pain, just what the physio ordered
  • Options
    Lovely 10 miler yesterday and feeling so much better, this morning no reaction, I am now 95% so should be back up to speed next week. Which ends with a weekend working in Paris, time to check out the course me thinks. Question is should I run today?
  • Options
    I'd suggest you do no more than 4 miles SLOW. But then I never listen to my own advice, so why should you? image
  • Options
    encouraging 10 mile yesterday  - a slow 4 or 5 miles shouldn't have done you any harm - so did you run?
  • Options
    Lee - no doubt  the forced easy running will work out for the best. Have a good few days enjoying the scenery for once!.
  • Options
    I see Pete had a decent run at Wokingham, more than lived up to expectations. Time ends in a :5x which are always the good  ones.
  • Options

It was an easy run of just a couple of miles in the end, cold but enough warmth thanks to the winter sun.  I intend a longer run today just because it feels right.  The hip is so close to being ready perfect when I got up and after stretches, slightly stiff after 1hr 30 in traffic.

Pete had a cracker at Wokingham looks like he is going from strength to strength.  I feel fresh now and think I could of run somewhere around 1:15:30.

Steve when can you post the next traunch of the training plan to give me something to look forward to?