Options

Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

Steve, for pink that sounds about right. Greens seem to be from 4:30 or thereabouts.

However, I've rung the office twice in the last few days with trivial queries and they've been lovely each time, so you could always check.

• Options

Tristan Abrahams: Re : MP3's Thanks for that. Reassuring that we do have a choice.

AndyP: HI again. Said hello to you during London'  last year. I have just come back to this forum to see how everyone is getting along. Starting to taper , although I am never quite sure about it so following Liz Yelling 's 'get around in 4 or in one piece 'plan. Amazing that you did a marathon a week ago!!! Do you feel a bit cream crackered??image

SteveD73: I got a ballott place too and also received my number through the post with my address label covering someone else's. I'm green and think that covered 4:30-5.00 or a bit more.

• Options

Steve D if you’re worried about the number it may just be worth contacting the organizers and querying it

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Green Fairy - have been using a run/walk on my last couple of long runs. Foam roller did wonders for my legs after Brighton and allowed me to run VLM. Dressed as a Green Fairy will help with the crowd support.

Really want to she you get your Brighton marathon medal as you was STAR looking after Tracy B. I remember the lovely hug I got of you in 2010 and I'm looking forward to giving a good luck hug.
  • Options

I went for a 4 mile recovery run before a massage yeterday. Good thing it was scheduled as recovery as I was running the slowest I have for a long time. My legs felt like led weights, it felt tougher than my 22 miles.

The massage after has done the trick though. I thought my hamstrings had been fine and weren't that tight, I mainly thought it was my calves that needed work. Couldn't have been more wrong! It was a really painful 20 minutes as I have my upper legs worked on. I walked out feeling reborn. Let's hope the pace comes back as a result

I've scheduled in my final massage for Monday 9th. Does 6 days seem a fair amount of time to recover or should I move it forward? I might wait and see how I feel later in the weekend asfter this massage but I could risk losing a spot so close to raceday.

• Options

So glad to hear other people using run/walk in their training. I've read elite runners use it too! I will take my gymboss with me in case of need and will use 3:1 . I ran/walked in a frenzied fashion near the end of London last year, so having a structured run/wlk plan if needed fills me with a little confidence, which frankly, is a bit low at present.

Green Fairy: you are obviously a bit of an icon here so you deserve to get over the finishing line. If your GP says go for it , then do just that . You are an experienced marathoner by the sounds of things and will make good decisions if you have to.

• Options

Thanks again for the encouragement and adviceimage

Guess I'll taper now and see how I feel, physically and mentally, in a couple of weeks.  Common sense would say go for next year instead and use the time to lose weight (20 lbs overweight) and build long term running fitness.  Then again I'm a MARATHONER so common sense doesn't always prevail!image.  Got GSR, a mere 10 miles, in October but that is soooooooooooooooo far off.

Bought some 2 litre bottles of mineral water today (remembering to get the round ones!) and used them under my quads.  Thought water would be healthier than coca colaimage.

Happy tapering everyone.

• Options

GF - It sounds as if you've been having a tough time of things recently. I really hope you manage to make the start this year.

Zoe/Tracy G -   I'm a greenie too! I think I put 4.45 down as my time, which doeasn't bear any resemblance to last year's finish time. LOL!!!!! But based on my 1st Brighton Marathon in 2009 and the speedwork I have been putting in this year should be achievable.

Heisenberg - My final sports massage is on 10th April I think 5/6 days is plenty of time to recover from it. I normally go out for a run within an hour or two after mine. I find that my legs are usually feeling speedy but that I can feel the spots where my therapist (sports!!) has had to work harder on the knots.

• Options
    Panic over 545 red image happy days.
    Just done 5 in the midday sun. It really takes it out of you.
  • Options

Afternoon all like Mark that’s 5 for me done today must be getting old had to come home and have a nap mind you i was feeling tired when i went out

Some of you may be interested in this link it should take you to the lucozade pace band sight

http://www.lucozade.com/perform/running/pace-bands/

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Mark - running in the heat of the day will help you adjust if we get a hot marathon.
  • Options

Sue Wright 4, apparently ballot packs are posted out if you paid the extra £5 when you entered. I must have done that but have absolutely no recollection, but got an email form the organisers to confirm.

Can now relax and enjoy my tapering

happy running all image

• Options

Evening all.  3 miles this morning in the cool of the Wiltshire morning (frost on the ground still).  Legs felt stiff and heavy - not too confident about the 26.2 miles!!  Hoping for some magic over the next 20 days!

Note on gels - I am using High 5 ISO gels which are designed to be drunk without water and are pretty good.  Worth a look!

DF

• Options

Hi all! Tempo run for me today, deliberately taken early afternoon to ensure I get in some running in hot weather. -"Be prepared" and all that. Although i'm into taper period, after listening to Sam Murphy's podcast from the "Asics 26.2" about the final month's training and taper period, I will still be putting in some speed work this week and next.

MarkD, I see you also run in the sun, -so for both of us, something about mad dogs and Englishmen comes to mind ... image

DolphinF, glad you've found some gels that work for you. I struggled and failed last year, but this year, hoping the Goji berries will do the trick for me!

SteveD73, definitely enjoy the taper!! You're in and running!

GreenFairy, you're probably right about the water being better than coke! Hopefully you'll start to feel the benefits of the rolling in the next few days.

Sue W, if you think you'll probably benefit from a run / walk, employ it from early on (at least partly) If you wait until you need to do it, you probably won't get the full benefit and that could detract from the enjoyment of the day. Even a short walk every mile can have a surprisingly high benefit for the later stages of the race without particularly impacting the pace. Not sure why your confidence isn't high, but that is a common situation. Last year I was unsure i would make the start line until virtually the day of the race, and this year I am just trying to ignore those paranoid feelings, whilst not ignoring the body's warning signs. Feels like a bit of a tightrope at times!!! But I will probably have turned 50 before I get to do another marathon, unless I do an autumn one, so can no longer pretend my body is indestructible!!!!

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Options

Morning all 5 for me again today then 14 on Friday last run in March how scary is that

• Options

Toby the pace band link was very handy thanks for that

I had the best run ever the other night, went out with my daughter for the first time and it was amazing, we did 2.5 miles run/walk

just wondered if any if you have suffered with sore nips, i experienced it and bought some bodyglide but it didn't seem to do much to prevent it, wondered if you have to put loads on for it to work or something?

In regards to gels i normally use sis gels but knowing at the BM the use shokbloks i have hopefully managed to get used to those now, as I heard stories of people throwing them up last year

18 days to go

• Options

sisavedbygrace: not sure why your getting sore nips, I've had bleeding ones in the past and found that loads of Vaseline on them cured this, but did stain the tee-shirt! lucky has not been a problem for me now for a while so do not have to bother these days.

Getting ready to head out for another long effort. Would have left by now normally, but thought I would leave it today until latter so as to get some running practice in the warm weather in case Brighton turns out hot, plus I will get to work on the tan.

• Options

Morning all!

Toby, another nice run logged! Hope you are enjoying the shorter runs.

SolentR, enjoy the long run. Yes, I'd oncur with trying to get used to slightly warmer weather running. There's no guarantee yet about the weather on April 15th, but probably sensible to get used to potential conditions.(I think Tracey G would also agree, judging from her comment above image)

sisavedbygrace. Suffered a bit last year and generally find that bodyglide works (quite generous usage) but last year I also used spray plaster, and that really worked a treat! However, if you're getting sore nips now, is it the shirt? Even if it's an "old favourite" they can eventually get worn and begin to chafe.

• Options
    Good Morning all,

Some good runs being logged at the moment.

I hope my race pack arrives soon I'm beginning to feel left out!
    Though I havn't had my number for the Reading Half yet, which is this weekend so that will probably mean two trips into Reading this weekend!
    I did my last 20 miler on Sunday and I am now getting very excited for Brighton.
  • Options
    Nip rub - a cross of strappal tape to keep a square of tissue over the actual nip. And anti-chafing cream (I use Decathlon's) over the top.
  • Options
    I just use plaster cut from a roll. Works a treatimage
  • Options
    FayaFaya ✭✭✭

Hi all!

Green Fairy, I can't give you any advice but good luck and I hope you can join us running on the day.

I managed to do a 20 mile run in just under 4 and a half hours (not including a couple of toilet stops and a 5 min wait in a corner shop to get more water as I'd run out). Getting that done makes me feel like I have a good chance to finish the marathon.

Happy tapering all! It sounds so strange to happily declare that I only have to run 15 miles next weekend.

• Options
    Well done Faya! You'll be fine on the day image
  • Options

Mornin...

6miles this morning with a few half mile pick ups.  Nice swim at lunch and then a good solid 8 mile tomorrow lunch to bring to an end a very tough training week.

One more tempo run for me this weekend then it's taper time.

Seriously close now people.  Who's excited.

WERHOOOO!!!

Oh and +1 for plasters on the nips.  Guaranteed to work.  Tip though, put the plasters on the night before the race.  Yes they'll never come off but at least you'll still have nipples.

• Options
    TridiverTridiver ✭✭✭

Like Sue W I've been using run walk on my long training runs( over 15 miles). I've been doing 6/1 from the off. I did this on a 20 on Sunday and felt really good right to the end. Should I do this on race day, it would give me a 4:17 finish, or should I see how I'm going at halfway and start run/walk from there. Maybe I'm just feeling a bit too confident, but feel I've got a bit more speed in me. My half PB is 1:52 so I should be able to do a sub 4 mara. But  this is my first mara so don't want to blow it for the sake of 17 min.  Mind you the 20 I did on Sunday was the hilly GVH. So maybe on the day I will be able to run the run and walk the walk a bit quicker? Opinions please?

Is this post the first sign of taper madness?

• Options

Ian D, I would always advise Run/walk from the start. Reason, as per post 22:39 yesterday. Also, you'll find coming off the taper, that your pace is likely to improve on Marathon day (tho I would still take the first 15 miles very easy) so you could end up closer to 4 hrs than you think. With a 1:52 half pb, probably looking more realistically at around 4:10-4:15 for a first marathon, rather than sub 4 (don't worry if sub-4 has to wait for the second one, it'll be sooo satisfying when it does happen!) just cos we all learn so much about ourselves and our reaction to the longer distance from our first marathon image (Also, long range weather forecast indicates another warm April marathon season. Hopefully not as hot as last year tho!)

Yeah I know, Good plan for this week. how far are you intending to go for the tempo run?

Charlotte,  Good luck with Reading half this weekend !!

• Options
    LindsayYLindsayY ✭✭✭

Morning All,

This thread is like an unstoppable force - much like we all will be on the 15th!!  Dropped the "Young 2" from my username and added my running number.  Don't know my colour yet.  Will be good to hopefully see a fair few of you dotted round the course, and of course to see everyone at the finish line! 

Juggler - my training schedule has intervals for this week and next week too - i'm headed out into the midday sun today for a session of 6 x 800m sprints.  hoping to acclimitise and prepare for the worst on the day!  what is the science/theory behind interval training during the taper though?

Ian - my best half marathon is 1:52 as well, achieved this year when i took a whopping 18 seconds off my previous best!  I did my first marathon last year, and wanted sub 4 hours, but got over confident at the start line and ran off too fast for what I'd trained for.  I finished in 4 hours 35.  So I would recommend from experience that you go off at the pace you have trained for, but if you feel good in the last 6 (?!?!) then maybe up the pace then. 

Faya - great last LSR!  sounds like you're going to be grand on the day.

MarkD - I'm going to give the plaster thing a bash on my 15 mile run this weekend.  I've a very hairy chest so not sure how it'll go.  I always suffer from runners nips!  I usually wear a light compression tee under my running t-shirt which stops it from happening completely.  Its one of those under armour compression tops meant to keep you cool when it's roasting, but it still means 2 t-shirts.  Done that for Belfast last year when it was 18 degrees on the day.

Enjoy your day peeps - midday intervals here I come!

• Options

It's nice to be able to do a run after work when it's still light now. Sports massage on Monday did the trick and I managed to do 6 miles in 43:04. I checked that against one of my quickest runs which was 10 miles at a pace of 7:17 per mile. During that run I hit 6 miles at 43:11. Nice to know that my pace hasn't been lost after my a few weeks of increased mileage.

I've been slightly worried that the distances I've been hitting have caused my fast twitch muscles to stop building, thus losing any kind of ability to pick up pace.

• Options

i to am a plaster over the niple man

sis glad you found the link handy

just thourght i repost the meet up list just encase anybody want's to add there name

Per race meet up Saturday Preston Park travel lodge 4pm

Toby3

Juggler234

Rondo

Karen Ives

Lombster

yvonne 2

Stig109

lyndab31

FiFi Gump

Mr FiFi Gump

• Options

I have had to pull out of the race at the last minute, so if anyone wants to run and would run under my number, feel free to message me and we can try and work something out.

I do have the number and kit bag etc at home already so you wont need to go to the expo to collect it.