Options

Amsterdam Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Hello hello hello...I'm signed up. I delegate my introduction to Leeds rob. image amsterdam will be my 4th marathon but gotta get the recovery from paris sorted image

OldScotia - let me know if you need PF advice and/or support.  I got it a couple of years back so have a few tricks.  It sucks the BIG one!

• Options
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

It sucks the BIG one!

Already with the filfth....;)
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    yeah, yeah, yeah so I'm not the most eloquent person out there.  I blame your mind, not my words.
  • Options
    Yeah ok.  Guilty as charged. image
  • Options

You two - get a room! - or at least a car in a layby. Shocking!  image

MC Dave wrote (see)
    Also thinking about this one for my Autumn marathon but concerned about the lack of atmosphere that some people mention. Is it really poor Beetle and how bad does it get out along the river? I'm looking for a sub 2:30 time and the ideal for me would be flat as anything but with a little support along the route to take my mind of the run. Will have to start looking for a hotel I guess

Dave - don't worry about it. There's plenty of support where it really counts - in the last 10km as you head back into the city and if the finish in the Olympic stadium doesn't inspire you, nothing will.  I ran there in 2010, probably around 10C and a bit of wind coming in off the sea. Some tactical shoulder surfing was deployed into the headwinds.

There's only one incline at km37 as you head up out of an underpass, apart from that it's pancake flat. The good thing about running alongside the Amstel is that in one direction you can see the elite race leaders ahead of you and on the return, you can see all the runners behind you. There's also a loop around km15 where you run about 400m in one direction and then cut back, so you get a close look at who is running around you. 

There were also some fantastic barges heading up and down the river with blaring music and lost of people partying away. Was great. Hope the wife and kids are doing OK and good luck with your goal. I'm hoping for something in the 2h45 region for Berlin this autumn.

Good luck all you 'Dammers and don't let Leeds Rob and Radar Sal have all the fun!! imageimage

• Options
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

You two - get a room!

Not a chance!

I mean, we've seen this girl's expensive tastes in hotels...

About the course TD.  Am I right in thinking the 37kms incline is 200m long and just a gentle drag?  If so, is there a reciprocal downhill somewhere?

• Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭

The recipricol down hill leads to the "uphill" bit. It is like a sine wave as the road goes down underneath a roundabout then immediately cilmbs onto a bridge over the Amstel before dropping back to level

• Options
    Cheers Musketeer.  It might even be a bit of a break for the legs after relentless flat.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

LR - The "hill" in Amsterdam is about the same as one of the short tunnels in Paris. The rest of the course is so flat it makes Paris look like the Rocky Mountains!

MC Dave - As Tricky has noted out by the river there aren't crowds of supporters, but you will see a long line of runners going up and down either side of the Amstel and the barges with bands on playing their hearts out. I'd say the only dull part of the course is the few kilometres after you come off the river where you go through an industrial area before heading back towards the Vondelpark area where the crowds certainly start to get busy. 

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Bah I wish I could do this one...
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Yeah, LR couldn't afford me and I don't slum it.

I'm really liking the course descriptions so far!  First marathon i did was Loch ness and there's only support at the villages as you go along and then a bit in inverness.  I found it really nice and ooooommmmmish.  I'll probably be looking at all the pretty houses as I toodle along the canals.

hee hee hee, just left a bomb on the paris thread that'll get a few people choking on their breakfast image

• Options
    There you go Sal, we're like an online version of Downton abbey.  Or possibly Benny Hill.
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    I do have that song onmy head radio (no ipod just my head playing songs) a bit while I run.  Haven't got it on the shuffle though.
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    I'd say more like Cannon & Ball, to be honest...
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

right, flights booked.  I've forgotten all the good advice on hotels.  Anyone care to repeat it? We should get KO over here.

Also, saw on the entry confirmation email that you can change your distance up until the 15th of september so if training goes awol you can change to the half etc and still come over for some fun.  I'm liking this race!

• Options

KOs is busy writing up an Amsterdam guide - inspired by ATM's for Paris.  She did mention some areas as good as well as some to avoid i.e red light districts and the noisy city centre areas.  Only advice I can give is that I'm booking into the Weichmann (from memory) and that area is apparently quiet but near to everything.

When you flying to/from Sal?  NGUG will need to do a list...

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Flying in and out of london as per usual but picked my london airports for convenience.  The joy of having 5 to choose from.

I think we've scared the natives on here.  Please come back, we're not that bad.

• Options

When not where..

As for scaring the natives...its all yer_maj's fault...

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Out friday night, back monday lunchtime.  Sorry am used to skimming your posts. image
  • Options
    yer_maj  wrote (see)
    I heard that.

RS made me do it...etc etc

Radar Sal wrote (see)
    Out friday night, back monday lunchtime.  Sorry am used to skimming your posts. image
    Cut me and I bleed.
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    yer_maj  wrote (see)
    I heard that.

It's all my fault etc etc etc
  • Options
    Radar Sal wrote (see)
    Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    yer_maj  wrote (see)
    I heard that.

It's all my fault etc etc etc
    Teamwork image
  • Options
    I'm in...2nd marathon after Paris the other week. Flying from Birmingham on the Saturday morning and leaving on the Tuesday.

Does anyone know of some 20 mile events in the Midlands/South Yorks over the summer/ September?. I did Ashby 20 as part of Paris training and it helped as a change from my other long runs on my own.
  • Options

Hiya One foot.

I think you might struggle, there's not as many races generally over the summer and what there are tend to be short and/or trail races. 

Why not look for a half in September though - racing that 4-6 weeks ahead of Amsterdam would be a good gauge of how training has gone and would break up training a bit.

• Options
    Hi LR. I did wonder why I couldn't find any such events using the usual search functions. Am planning to do Nottingham Half on 30 September which will be ideal three weeks before 'Dam.

I did Stafford half three weeks before Paris and learnt a lesson on pacing as I set off too fast - for me- and went through halfway in PB time but had nothing left for the last three miles. I'd been over confident following five weeks of LSRs all over 16 miles. But it made me go steady in Paris and I loved it....well the first 21 miles at least and got a PB ( first marathon type PB that is!)
  • Options

The numbers will keep falling from now one foot image

This year was the first year I'd raced in the build up to a marathon (despite all the advice being that you should) but I think it really helped.  It underlined my fitness for a real confidence boost and got me used to race day conditions, nerves and so on which maybe took a bit of the nervous edge off Paris for me.

My plan actually calls for 3 races but I'm going to do one half and a couple of Saturday parkruns simply because there are few races on Saturdays - meaning a race has to be part of the LSR 'calendar' and I don't want to sacrifice more than one.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

One foot - I did exactly the same (kinda on purpose to see if I could) and it was great for a reality check before paris.  Wasn't a race but the first 12 mile taper run.  Was very annoying that my knee went but if I hadn't gone out and tried it, I would have set off way too fast in Paris and probably not finished.

I did one 1/2 for paris training (have included a half in all previous training plans) and finally broke the 2 hr mark.  It was awesome to have that little boost and change to training.  Agree that it made me far more relaxed on marathon day.  I'd already got a new achievement so not so much pressure on the marathon itself being successful.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

right, flights booked.  I've forgotten all the good advice on hotels.  Anyone care to repeat it? We should get KO over here.

Also, saw on the entry confirmation email that you can change your distance up until the 15th of september so if training goes awol you can change to the half etc and still come over for some fun.  I'm liking this race!

this year will be my 4th in amsterdam. Usually do the half marathon but did the marathon last year.

If you're looking for accommodation, I can't recommend booking.com enough. Good reviews, maps, easy to use and you can book accommodation in advance WITHOUT paying anything! Most hotels allow you to cancel up to the day before as well which is great if you think your plans may change.

Avoid the red light district or leidesplein for accommodation - too noisy and tend to be overpriced. Nicest area for me is Jordaan - lovely canals and quiet too.

The marathon starts outside the city centre at the Olympic Stadium but is well connected by transport links (underground or tram) but there's very little else out there - it's like the suburbs so don't bother booking accommodation close to the stadium is my tip.

Like Tricky Dicky, I'm running Berlin marathon this year but will enter the Half Marathon if my coach lets me otherwise I may just run the 8k as not done it before.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Thanks Johnas.  Have used booking.com quite a bit.  It's a great site.  The one i'm liking at the moment is Trivago.com brings together all the budget/special offer websites and has reasonable maping and searches too.

Have been to Amsterdam before so am okay with going a bit out of the centre and closer to the start but with a few nice local places near by to eat at.

WOW, berlin and amsterdam...guess that means TD can't not make an appearance in amsterdam too.