Options

Mutual Support and Encouragement for fellow Newbies

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Nick.

Have a good run today Trigger,
  • Options

Very good parkruns Trigger and Nick - am looking forward to the day I feel ready to run one !  Sounds like a good bracing run for you Peter, bet you had a good sense of achievement once you got home.

Nick, what's the longest distance you have run, have you run a 1/2 marathon distance before in training ?

As for my updates, lovely sunny day today and amazingly not much wind, have finished this morning my week 7 with a 2 x 15mins, 1st one ok, 2nd one hard going for the last few mins but didn't give up. Very pleased to have week 7 under my belt !

Week 8 [final week] commences on Wednesday, a straight up 30mins running, I think I have absolutely no chance but will give it my best shot image)

• Options

Oh no! I think I may have my first running injury... About 20mins ago I was sitting down having a nice cup of tea, then got up and my foot felt tender to walk on. I felt it and it felt a bit hard. Took my sock off and looked and it's like this:

"my left foot, just in front of my heel, underneath, sort of underneath but on the inside edge is a red, swollen, hard area about the size of a 10p piece" it feels very tender to walk on and if you feel it, it feels like a hard area, ie, not soft like a blister or anything. And it's hot.

Ideas anyone ??

Didnt' have any pain or clumsy moments on my run this morning [which was at about 9:45] and didn't notice any discomfort until literally 20mins ago ?????

Got my big week this week too!!

• Options
    Thanks slap-a-belly, no idea about your injury im afraid. Brilliant running though well done on completing week 7 just the take it easy on the pace for your final week. Focus on the fact you know you can run for 30mins you just did it! Only difference is you had a break in the middle You can do it image Regards weird injury see how it is tomorrow and have a Google, hope it heals its got to be a positive that you weren't in pain while running.

The furthest I've ever run is 12miles but I felt like I was running on empty so hence the nerves. I've also just checked the rules for the run and I can't wear earphones image gutted because I am quite reliant on music to keep me motivated. I appreciate the rules because it's run on open roads so you need to be aware of traffic etc.
  • Options

Hi all

Apologies for not posting for the last wee - plenty of running been going on I see.

Well done Slap - fantastic achievement running 2 x 15 mins.  As Nick says, you've mastered 30 mins just with a wee walk in between.  We'll soon be real runners! I'm still stuck on 25 mins - 3rd run today.  But stupid me, seems to be running faster and not longer.  I have a GPS watch as well, so there's no excuses.  Next time I'm out on my own, I'll be checking it religiously to stick to an easy pace and try and run 30 minutes.  Sorry to hear about the injury Slap but maybe, as Nick says, tomorrow it may have eased.

Well done Trigger on the Parkrun and hope you got on well on your run today.  Peter, keep battling that wind and rain!

• Options
    Well done happybunny sounds like great progress, are the gps watches good? /easy to use? I'm considering getting one.

Any news jooles if you're out there hows the injury/recovery going.
  • Options
    Thanks Slap, and yes I was satisfied with that.also well run you, hope the foot has recovered, not sure what it is, although it does sound a bit like something I had. I just left it and it came all right.

Well done Happy, you'll get it soon, one day it will all click and you'll go on for miles.
  • Options

Thanks all, happy to report that foot a little better today, have been taking Ibuprofen and bought some Deep Freeze this morning for it, it definately isn't as painful / swollen. Had a gentle walk this morning on it, with a big gel plaster over it [only thing I had for padding] and that didn't seem to make it worse. I couldn't walk on it by bedtime yesterday so obviously a massive improvement. Total rest day tomorrow so hopefully by Wednesday I'll be raring for my 30 mins.   I think I will actually cry if my foot is bad and I can't try for the 30mins, after the intensive 7 weeks preparation!!! Nearly ate all my Valentines choccies yesterday out of worry! [didn't!]

Thanks also for the encouragement, yes, I can do it, I can do it !! [wish I could record that over and over again to listen to!]

Nick, urgh about the no earphones rule, I have become pretty reliant on mine too after having them from about week 3 or 4 - don't think I could do 5 mins without them!  But as you say... you can do it! And wow, you have run for 12 miles before, that is amazing in itself!

Happy, good luck for your 30mins, I know you can do it too, hey.. what's another 5 minutes ?!

Wishing you all good runs, I shall be resting up and getting my foot right in preparation for my big day!

• Options
    Here's hoping that it's better by then Slap, but even if you have to delay it for a day or two, you'll nail it.

I can run with or without earphones, I prefer to run with them but when I'm out with the dog so I can hear what he is up to.
  • Options

Slap, glad your foot's improving and good luck for Wednesday.

Nick, I love my watch.  I got an Ultrasport from Amazon during their lightening deals in the New Year.  Think it cost me £75 and has a heart rate monitor.  Haven't tried this yet - don't intend to until I start getting into some serious running and heart rate zone training makes more sense.  It's not a Garmin but probably more than adequate for my level of running at the minute.  

No running tonight - my running partner's ill and my parents are over visiting so gave the club run a miss tonight.  Out again on Wednesday.

Happy running!

Nicky

• Options

Some great running going on round here!

Slap - Glad the foot feels a bit better

happybunny - You are a real runner.....you run therefore you are!!!!!!!!

Nick I have a Garmin forerunner 10 it's the most basic and cheapest of the Garmins I think, it doesn't have heart rate monitor, for that you would need one of the 110 versions there is 2 one with HRM and one without. I really like my watch it's easy to use and gives me all the details I want and there's loads more stats available when you upload to the Garmin connect site, graphs and charts and stuff.

No running for me today and tomorrow but back out there for a muddy trail 5k on Thursday night, can't wait for the lighter nights will make life so much nicer

Happy running everyone

• Options
    Thanks for the advice on watches, no running since Saturday as I'm at my parents and feeling fat and lethargic too much food and wine image have to get back on it Wednesday night and cram some training in for my HM.
  • Options

Sounds like you're having a lovely time Nick, enjoy!   And get a good run under your belt tonight image

Good luck with your run today Happy.. I'll keep everything crossed for you!

Have fun on your muddy 5k tomorrow night Mummy.. sounds like fun!

And happy running to you Peter image

And news from this end..... foot felt fine this morning.  Went out for my first 30mins continuous run and... nailed it!!!!       Can't believe I did it, I am completely over the moon. I paced myself slowly, stuck at it and I still can't believe I did 30mins without stopping !  I think I have rung everyone I know this morning lol

Foot feels ok but have put some Deep Freeze on it just in case and will watch it closely!

next one on Friday!

• Options
    Well done Slap - a lovely morning for it too! Am just back from Slimming World and am at the edge of target so feeling very positive about things at the moment. Next run for me is tomorrow - looking to do round about 3.5/4 but as I'm meeting a friend for lunch it depends what time I get out there and how speedy I'm feeling.

Hope you're all well and enjoying the respite in this weather image
  • Options

Thanks Slap and well done.  

Well done Trigger as well.

I'm thinking that I'm gonna have to give the running a couple of days miss, currently ache all over and have a throat that feels like it's got sandpaper in it.

• Options
    Big Cheer for Slap-a-belly image well done so pleased you did it, now imagine what you can achieve without an injury!

Hope you feel better tomorrow Peter.

Im out later with a 10mile target. Happy running all.
  • Options

Well done Slap!!!imageimageimage Went out tonight and did 28 mins - nearly there!  Sorry to hear about the throat Peter.  My running partner's out at the minute with a cold type thing so I think we'll end up finishing the couch to 5k on our own steam rather than running with the club.

Nick, hope you made your 10 miler today.  You too Trigger, and well done on getting near to target.  I'm weighing in tomorrow morning with a revised target (another half stone should do me).

Good luck all! Nicky

• Options
    Thanks Happy, just back from my run 11miles tonight. A quick note to the diet conscious amongst you apparently chicken korma is not good pre run food! image

Next target sort out my diet, having got back from my parents where all meals come with wine and a desert my body has fallen out with me so think I should treat myself to a water and fresh green diet.! Happy running
  • Options
    Wow great run Nick

Slap-a-belly, great going, you have made great progress!

Nicky, great going as well.

Everyone's doing great and motivated me to go out tonight after a week off! Did 3 miles and felt great for it.
  • Options
    Well done Nathan, pleased you're back in action and feeling better.

And well done Happy 28mins is a great achievement .
  • Options
    Evening all,

Well run all who've been out, thankfully I'm feeling a lot better, not at 100% but well enough to have a short 2 miles out.
  • Options

Thanks Nick and glad your feeling better Peter.

Managed another 3 mile run tonight. Worrying that I may overdo it again but will rest again now till next week and hopefully can get back to 3 miles 3 times a week.

• Options

Sorry late with the congratulations this thread is moving along so fast............Congratulations Slap what a wonderful feeling

Well done Happy you are doing great

Peter - Glad your feeling a bit better

Nathan - Take it easy and you will be fine

My 5k was wet muddy and dark but also great fun, really looking forward to the lighter nights and warmer weather. It's a rest day for me today/tomorrow and then my long run Sunday but I am going to take the dog for a nice long walk later today.

Happy running everyone

• Options

Happy Friday all image Some great running going on, fantastic and so motivating to read!

Mummy your 5k sounds so much fun, enjoy the rest days and good luck for Sunday - how long will your long run be ?

Fab news trigger on you being so close to target,the end is in sight! Hope you had a good run and your lunch didn't jeopardise your good intentions!

Yay for Happy and your 28mins.. so nearly there - I'm rooting for you!!!

Nick, wow 11miles - I am in awe!     Fantastic ! And good luck with the greens..!

Well done on your double 3miles Nathan, good to be back in the saddle I should think? I am a great believer in the rest day, I always do better the day after so hope you do too.

Glad you're feeling better Peter, hope the 2miles blew the cobwebs and sweated the last of your lurgie away!

I did my 2nd 30mins straight this morning, harder than on Wednesday but still did it and still sooooo chuffed!     Not easy by any means and I nearly stopped a couple of times but now I know I can do it there was no real chance of that happening!

• Options

Mummysaurus, also looking forward to the lighter and warmer weather! Great 5k by the sounds of it. How long will your Sunday run be? When I feel ready I think that's what I will do to add to my 3 times a week so I have 1 longer run at the weekend.

Slap-a-Belly, well done on the 30 mins straight, really great you kept on going, you should be well chuffed!

• Options

Thanks Slap and Nathan my 5k was with my eldest son and is always a good laugh he is my coach and is determined to get me doing ultras with him, as I have only been running since last July I think it might be a while before an ultra, I am planning on a half marathon next spring but will work up the miles slowly. This weekends long run will be something like 5-6 miles and I do all the longer runs anything over three miles as run/walk which I find gives my older joints an easier time

• Options

Slap, well done again.  Getting the 2nd 30 mins is a great achievement.  Are you close to a 5k distance? Parkrun soon? I'm aiming for my first one mid-late March.  Feeling this is a definite achievable target now, as managed to run 5k today! Ran 35 mins, although feeling it's a bit of a fluke so looking forward to getting out on my next solo run to try and run it again.

Peter, glad you're feeling better.  Mummy, Nathan and Nick - great runs.

Have fun all, with the running this weekend - let's hope the weather is kind to us!

Nicky

• Options

Wow well done Happy, hip-hip-happy-hooray for you !    5k AND 35mins !!!

I'm not sure how far I run yet as don't have any sort of gps watch or a phone with any sort of internet so I can't download any of those app things - all I have is a cheap stopwatch, which has served me fantastically well but means I can only do it by time.

In a week or two once I'm more confident with the 30mins I'll have to strap the satnav from the car to myself somehow and run with that and see if it measures a distance image

I'm hoping to try the local Parkrun in April, I think it is an undulating course so will be a challenge. I've been reading the race reports each week for it and by all accounts it's under a lot of water right now so I'm in no rush lol  I need to register and get barcoded etc too.  Good luck with yours next month!

• Options
    Evening all,

Some great running going on, well done all.

I'm back under the weather now, my sinuses are bothering me and I look like I've been crying for a week, and I walked into a door lock today and gave myself a dead leg and a huge graze on my thigh.
  • Options

image sorry Peter, I tried hard not to smile when I read that but failed.  But I feel your pain - hope leg and sinuses clear up soon.

Slap, thanks I was surprised to have made the 5k distance but ran round the park where our Parkrun is held, just not the route.  It was one of those situations where it was such a lovely day, lovely surroundings and I kept challenging myself to just keep going that bit more.  That's why I want to get out again and see how I get on when I'm running the streets. One way around trying to track your distances, is use mapmyrun online.  You can create routes using their map and it will calculate the distance for you.