Options

£9000 a year too much for a degree?

Comments

• Options
    RicF wrote (see)

The national debt is racking up at the rate of £6000 per second, and it doesn't matter which political party is in power, they're not going to stop that, only slow it down a bit.

Playing politics is a luxury that none of the parties can now afford so anyone who thinks 'labour' is this and the 'Cons' are that, is about 50 years out of date. Its just management now.

We've developed an infrastructure that we cannot afford hence all the attacks on our wallets.

Just imagine coming up with this lot if your country had only just started to make some money: NHS, DHSS, Emergency services, Free Education, Pensions.

I doubt if many of these would be put into play.

Oh so your bit about not being able to afford " an infrastructure" wasn't connected to the very next sentence you wrote?     Of course you were saying we couldn't afford those things.    You can argue about the form they take but without at the very least the emergency services and free education our economy would be up shit creek in no time.     

As for the rest, well the DHSS hasn't existed for 15 years, we spend much less than the USA on health as a proportion of GDP and less than most equivalent European countries and if younask a lot of people how their private pension has fared they'll tell you the only people to make money out of it are the people that sold it and the ones who gambled the money for them.   

The truth is these things are not some unaffordable dream the problem is that a small number of people are taking a disproportionate share of the proceeds from what our society produces.   

• Options
    popsider wrote (see)

The truth is these things are not some unaffordable dream the problem is that a small number of people are taking a disproportionate share of the proceeds from what our society produces.   

Yes a small number will always take a disproportionate share, of whatever there is. That's life, whether it's money time or effort, there are people who take a disproportionate share of everything including the NHS and emergency services but you wouldn't deny them would you?

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The fact of most personal pensions is that most people put next to bugger all into them. They put in about £30 per month and expect an income from it of £20,000 per year.

🙂

• Options
    Well more fool them....

I suppose it's David Cameron's fault they didn't save enough ? Or that they were still paying off their student loan
  • Options

I doubt it. The state pension is one of those other things that's pegged to the rate of inflation and will therefore be worth progressively less in real terms.

• Options
    But people have been told about private pensions for decades....

Yet again, some people will have been sensible and made provision...

Maybe Darwin was right ?
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

We want things, we do things, we exist. There's a price to pay. 

What has thrown so many of us is that we have been given set of expectations that were ours by birthright, which didn't seem unreasonable or extravagant, and now we've been told we can't have them.

I attempted to sell personal pensions in the late 80's (for about 3 months). The people weren't having it. As far as they were concerned, you were stealing their money.

In frustration I packed it in and went and found a job in some factory. But not before I took out a pp myself in to which (advised by a colleague) I bunged the maximum amount allowed at the time. His words at the time were, "you'll thank me for this one day". Which I do.

🙂

• Options
    Awwww Poor Ric, what is it the nasty politicians won't let you have
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Enough said.

🙂

• Options
    Who told you of these expectations ? Which wicked person built up your hopes ?
  • Options
    Runnin man wrote (see)
    popsider wrote (see)

Yes a small number will always take a disproportionate share, of whatever there is. That's life, whether it's money time or effort, there are people who take a disproportionate share of everything including the NHS and emergency services but you wouldn't deny them would you?

I'd deny it you, nobody else.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

I think you must be confused. I've got everything I've ever wanted from life. Its others I'm talking about.

🙂

• Options
    RicF wrote (see)

I think you must be confused. I've got everything I've ever wanted from life. Its others I'm talking about.

Ah, Your caring side, Looking out for the less fortunate ?

• Options
    RicF wrote (see)

But if there were no emergency services someone might steal all you had, then where would you be?

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'm merely making observations.

Didn't you say "More fool them" Dave. How caring.

Pop. I didn't say anything about getting rid of emergency services. The closest I got was saying if we didn't already have them in place, we couldn't afford to start.

Bit of a difference. 

🙂

• Options
    RicF wrote (see)

I'm merely making observations.

Didn't you say "More fool them" Dave. How caring.

But I have never professed to be caring, In fact one of my wife's favourite comments is "Thank god you don't work in a caring profession"

• Options
    Cleggy is MP for Sheffield Hallam, which I believe has an eponymous university.

As he has screwed the pooch on tuition fees he will be out of a job next year and will doubtless feather his nest with a nice cushy EU job and/or plenty of part-time "directorships".

Sigh...
  • Options

Can you get degrees in eponymousity ?

• Options
    Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

Most of our emergency services are good and helpful and we all wish we would never need them, they are however let down by some behaviours, Firemen who spend their nights sleeping and cruising around to the chip shops, Policemen and women who spend their times sat outside MacDonalds takeaways etc, so come on they are not heroes they are paid employees like most people

But you accept the ambulance service and the AA are heroes.

• Options
    I'm with the RAC, do they count ?

Doctors and nurses are just over paid scrounges
  • Options

There are idiots in the armed forces too, Nick.

• Options

I think it depends how you define herosim.

Members of the Ambulance Service have to deal with the injured and traumatised day in, day out. Drunk, abusive people, people in bits after accidents. On it's own terms I'd define that as heroic.

As for the AA - not sure how they got into the conversation image