Options

Election 2015

Comments

• Options

Nicola Sturgeon has the very annoying habit of asking someone a question and then constantly interupting every single sentence of the the reply. 

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Isn't that part of the job description for a politician, PC?

• Options

They all do it to some extent and I get it if you have to repeat the question if they start answering a completely different way but she always seems to want to respond before the response. It is a bad habit and she needs to learn how to debate rather than just argue aggressively. 

• Options

Almost as annoying as Cameron answering every question in PMQs by asking a question himself. 

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

I find Nicola Sturgeon really annoying but then I think the SNP are really annoying so I may be biased.  Most of their support comes from small minded nationalists and Scots who are natural Labour voters realise they can continue to have their cake and eat it if the SNP get into a position of influence.   

FOr me Miliband has had a decent campaign and I may vote for his party though I do think that the rate of net immigration is far too high and is causing real problems with schools, health, housing and general over development and the only party that would address that in one I find unpalatable in other ways.   I know there are much quoted reports that immigration has saved our economy but there are other less quoted studies such as those compiled by Civitas that argue those much quoted reports are wrong.  

• Options
    KenbroKenbro ✭✭✭

I had a leaflet through the door today from our Ukip candidate. He is the son of an immigrant, yet is anti immigration. It is an ideology that I find odd.  

• Options

just had a Tory leaflet through......once again there is no mention of the the guys history or qualifications.of why he is standing or what life experiences he has........a quick google search again confirms the guy probably had no idea where caerphilly was before he was offered a candidacy here

hes a CEO from south oxfordshire.......once again he must understand the needs of one of the poorest areas of the country...

You can guarantee that if they put no personal details on the form that they have no links with this area

• Options
    Kenbro wrote (see)

I had a leaflet through the door today from our Ukip candidate. He is the son of an immigrant, yet is anti immigration. It is an ideology that I find odd.  

So is our candidate. 

• Options

Is controlled immigration anti immigration? Tightening up the benefitt system isn't anti benefits and tightening up the tax system isn't anti tax payer!! Being fair is better than being walked all over. On Question Time last night, all parties moaned about the funding of the NHS but only one person had an answer. Keep the NHS as an NATIONAL health service and not fund every immigrant who turns up for treatment. People are dying in the Med because of our "land of milk and honey" policies. Send them back and the dying will stop. We are becoming a nation of well meaning liberals whose intentions seem good but are doing the country and the international community a great harm.

• Options

And I'm voting Green. Am anti Trident but I don't demonise UKIP. 

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Nobody except the Greens (and I'm not sure they still do) wants an open door immigration policy but for some reason there is always this implication that anyone who doesn't want the equivalent of a city the size of Leicester added to our population every single year is xenophobic at least and probably racist.  

Why shouldn't the son of an immigrant want immigration tightened up - they live in Britain and if they think that the level of immigration is harming the economy or quality of life that's reasonable isn't it?   

Same with people who don't think leaving the EU is crazy (personally I'm undecided on that).   It's now seen as a right wing xenophobic view but it was the view of Tony Benn

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I'm surprised that the Tories want to quit the EU. The EU provides an endless flow of cheap immigrant labour to hold down wages and maintain corporate welfare - which is good for big business, no? Seems illogical to me.

I used to be anti-EU but am sitting on the fence more these days. I like the EU development money but don't like the federal superstate overtones and uncontrolled immigration.

In this election my vote will go to the party that I think is most likely to keep out the party that I really don't want.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Popsider, when I try to right your name it gets auto corrected to lopsided! Which is funny as your point is lopsided. So you think it is ok for economic migrants to fevers and the pull up the draw bridge?

I think it should be one rule for everyone. If we are going to be anti imigration then we should send the bankers and oligarchs home first, then those who work in the NHS and then those who clean and cater for the rich who have just been booted, then maybe move onto the Bengali chefs and the Turkish and Italian restauranteurs, then the Irish who rebuilt London after the war and the West Indians who were imported to drive buses and trains, then move onto the Jews who came here to escape persecution, then start looking for those who are of Danish or Roman origin, after all they came here and took our jobs and land too.

Mind you. How far back do your pure English roots go? Apologies for the assumption but I guess you are English from your post.
  • Options

Who is saying one rule for everyone. The Aussie style system is not anti immigration but SELECTED immigration. It's about what can you bring and not what can you take. Pretty simple. Whetherr you turn up with HIV, a baby or  whatever. If you are here because you want free treatment, well there is a WORLD health organisation for that. 

• Options

selected immigration.

.so we will allow all the rich Russians who have made their money through corruption in Russia and pay with cash for London homes because that means the money is safely invested in property........at the same time putting the  house prices in London higher and higher in a ridiculous manner......

• Options

Most countries in the world will welcome a tourist with a large bank account. No point welcoming ones with a begging bowl when you can't even fill the begging bowls of the people already here. 

• Options
    Muttley wrote (see)

I'm surprised that the Tories want to quit the EU. The EU provides an endless flow of cheap immigrant labour to hold down wages and maintain corporate welfare - which is good for big business, no? Seems illogical to me.

I used to be anti-EU but am sitting on the fence more these days. I like the EU development money but don't like the federal superstate overtones and uncontrolled immigration.

In this election my vote will go to the party that I think is most likely to keep out the party that I really don't want.

I don't think they do. I think the EU referendum is in their manifesto to appease would-be defectors to UKIP.

• Options

Actually Seren, the two aren't necessarily linked.

While lots of the property in London is owned by Russian oligarchs and oil rich arabs the problem is that they don't even live or pay taxes here - it's just bought as investment.  

I see selected immigration as a system which matches skills to the places in which they are needed.

• Options

fair point scream......

I dont see a problem with stricter immingration.

I am worried by ukip that want to shut down the borders and at the same time stop all foreign aid.

we have played a big part in the unrest in the middle east.....and there are millions of people made refugees in syria...and have travelled over the borders to countries who also cannot afford to deal with such numbers that are massive compared to our problem.....

if we arent taking any of those refugees we should be paying those countries that are a decent amount of money as our share

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Gideon Levy wrote (see)
    Popsider, when I try to right your name it gets auto corrected to lopsided! Which is funny as your point is lopsided. So you think it is ok for economic migrants to fevers and the pull up the draw bridge?

I think it should be one rule for everyone. If we are going to be anti imigration then we should send the bankers and oligarchs home first, then those who work in the NHS and then those who clean and cater for the rich who have just been booted, then maybe move onto the Bengali chefs and the Turkish and Italian restauranteurs, then the Irish who rebuilt London after the war and the West Indians who were imported to drive buses and trains, then move onto the Jews who came here to escape persecution, then start looking for those who are of Danish or Roman origin, after all they came here and took our jobs and land too.

Mind you. How far back do your pure English roots go? Apologies for the assumption but I guess you are English from your post.

OK let's see.   Do you want unlimited immigration, an open door ?  If so say so - if not then you yourself are in favour of pulling up the drawbridge just not as far as some others.   

Secondly there you go implying that anyone that wants to limit immigration is motivated by racism or some notion of racial purity.  Actually I am only half English but that's completely irrelevant as is the fact that a ukip candidate may be the son of an immigrant.   I simply think that record levels of net immigration - outstripping all the previous waves of immigration you mention - is creating social and economic problems, is forcing development of open space and as Muttley says only really benefits business who want a supply of cheap labour.   It even harms some of the countries from who the workers come because it strips those places of their young and their skilled workers.   

If you think that makes someone a racist fine - but unless you want a completely open door then you must think of yourself as a bit of a racist too yes ?  If you do want a completely open door then you are just economically illiterate.   Either way your argument doesn't stack up.   

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Popsider. I did not say you were a racist. You obviously have your own reasons for the strong denial.

Also if you are actually half English then you should be the King because you are the purest Englishman that exists.

I believe that we should have one rule for everyone based on their orogin/nationality, not based on their wealth. Whatever the rule, it is for the whole country to decide Which means that as labour will probably be be in power so ukip will get no say in it.
  • Options

I don't want the UK to leave the EU as I plan to retire to the med however watching the debates I don't see anything that makes me want to return to the UK anytime soon.

• Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭

I've voted image I love postal ballot!

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Isn't that VLM?image
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Gideon Levy wrote (see)

Gideon Levy wrote (see)
    Popsider. I did not say you were a racist. You obviously have your own reasons for the strong denial.

Also if you are actually half English then you should be the King because you are the purest Englishman that exists.

I believe that we should have one rule for everyone based on their orogin/nationality, not based on their wealth. Whatever the rule, it is for the whole country to decide Which means that as labour will probably be be in power so ukip will get no say in it.

You do talk some bollocks

• Options

And people (well, just one person actually) say the forum is dead image

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Lopsided- we shall have to disagree. I can at least make my point without resorting to insults. I shall not engage in an argument on this thread as I see no point in feeding trolls, but if you want to meet up and discuss this in person then pm me and we can organise something.
  • Options
  • Options

Evening Philo.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.