Options

Panarama - Allan Wells - Drugs

Comments

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Farah has said he is staying with Salazar but if he finds out he is guilty he is out of there, and he's angry as his name is being dragged through mud with all this. Fair enough.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Salazar has also given a new interview and distanced himself from Mo's tax evasion schemes (allegedly).
  • Options

"Mo Farah will not end his relationship with Alberto Salazar after saying he has "not seen any clear evidence" that his coach has been involved in doping." - BBC.

Even though...

Who was coaching Mary Decker when she tested positive for testosterone?

Who once said it was impossible to win at the elite level without taking drugs?

Who gave Kara Goucher prescription tablets when they were not a doctor and should never have done so?

Who gave the weakest response claiming that the note saying Rupp was on testosterone was supposed to have been recorded as Testo-boost. I'd be pretty certain on blood test results they wouldnt refer to what the athlete was taking by trademark name but instead by whats inside them. So they would only refer to testosterone if thats what he was prescribed. Also the guy who discovered all of this, said the records show it went all the way back to when he was 16. So was everyone just incorrectly marking testosterone instead of testoboost for all those years?

... If thats not good enough for Mo, then Im kind of inclined to ignore any anti-drugs messages he gives out to people. 

As for UK Athletics ...

"UK Athletics chief executive Niels de Vos echoed Farah's sentiments that the organisation would not continue its association with Salazar if they were not satisfied with his answers."

Hi Alberto ..... you giving drugs to your athletes? Nope ... OK .... good enough for us.

Please tell me a scenario where they are going to ask him questions and his well rehearsed answers wont be good enough for them, and that they'll sever ties. Of course it wont happen. They are hoping it just blows over when in reality its simply dragging them further into the mire. 

• Options

Mr I: Salazar needs investigating, fully. He needs to provide all the paperwork, figures, whatever is asked of him by WADA and USADA. He needs to answer a lot of tough questions from them. No doubt about that.

I agree with you that it doesn't look good for him and if the investigation finds evidence to back up the claims, then he should be banned from coaching, serve jail time and Mo should get the hell away from him. For now, he's remaining loyal, as he hasn't, himself, seen any evidence of what's been alleged and he believes what his coach is telling him. He obviously trusts the guy, misplaced or otherwise. I think that's the right thing to do.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

. it is very easy to get prescription drugs in the U.S. without being a doctor/ pharmacist 

if there salazar had wide spread drugs abuse where was the whistleblowers other photos of charts with banned substance on it?  All the athletes and all that time and he only found 1 record from rupp. from when he was young (which has been explained as a clerical error...though I agree the explanation is weak)

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Dean I get the gist of your point but it was tricky to decipher.

Perhaps Salazar's records are not very clear either?
  • Options

Anyway Im starting to see a pattern from UK Athletics ...

"Mo Farah has revealed for the first time that he was airlifted to hospital last month because doctors feared there was something wrong with his heart after he lost consciousness on his bathroom floor in Park City, Utah. Doctors still not knowing what caused his “scary” collapse" ... "The British Athletics performance director Neil Black has insisted that his medical staff do not have any worries about Farah’s form – or another occurrence of his terrifying collapse." - August 11, 2014

"UK Athletics can confirm it has had absolutely no concerns over the conduct and coaching methods of Alberto Salazar in relation to Mo Farah or in his role as an endurance consultant." - 6th June 2015

Mo Farah collapses unconcious with no explanation, UK Athletics are unconcerned. Mo Farah trains with with a coach and training partner who are facing serious allegations about doping, UK Athletics are unconcerned.

Seems to me that UK Athletics are unconcerned about an awful lot of issues involving their star athlete.

• Options

Anyway enough what I think about Salazar ... its what Lance thinks that matters ...

http://www.photorun.net/images_L/2006/M/NYC_Marathon/Armstrong-SalazarSt-NYC06.JPG

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Vdot - reading back I see what you mean, looks like auto correct added and changed so many words I struggled to make sense of my  own post too.image

mr I - athlete passes out after training too hard, that's weak arse evidence you are putting forward.  must have been drugs can't have been fatigue or an underlying illness combining to flatten him.  the photo with lance is funny though, but do a search and see how many athletes and coaches had photos and nice things to say about lance back in the day.  Unless that photo was taken post confession?

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

As usual, the main gripe from commentators involving these people isn't really about sport and cheating at all. It's about the masses of money they have made.

I guess if you're as skint as arseholes and know that's a situation which could have been avoided, and is now too late to resolve, envy and trying to knock them down is the only way to get even. The latest antics at Fifa must provide hours of pleasure to these types.

I think of Alan Bates (former Chelsea chairman) who, when asked yet another question (from the press) about what he was going to do next (meaning the club) he replied, "Me! oh I'm going home to my country estate while you lot (press) can sod off back to your council houses".

🙂

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Mr I. It stinks. Nike. Money. Still, Lord Coe (Nike ambassador) will sort it out just like he did when he was head of ethics at FIFA.

Not sure the reason journalists are investigating all this is that they're jealous of the athlete's wealth?!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Armstrong and Salazar have been buddies since running the 2006 NY marathon together.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Farah has pulled out of the 1500m in Birmingham today.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Dean, I don't always agree with your posts, but I do like to be able to read your take on things without getting a headacheimage

I do wonder about Mo's Emergency pull outs from meets and it is not implausible that he has done so due to wanting to avoid testing. The athletes who are doing drugs will have their own testing system and will know when they are likely to fail a blood or urine test, even if they don't know that will definitely be tested.

Having an unexpected yet possibly life threatening condition that strikes you randomly just before a big meet on several occasions does seem unlikely and even suspicious in light of the claims about Salazar.
  • Options

Mr I, I know you're just stirring but, if the medical people at UK Athletics examined him, didn't think it was caused by anything underlying and was unlikely to happen again, or cause any performance issues, then what do you think they should have said? Should they have handed the press a nice scaremongering quote to play with?

UK Athletics, in both instances are seeking to try and calm the issue down. Mo has done nothing wrong that we know of and his name has been dragged through the mud enough as it is, so to suggest UK Athletics should try and add to that by saying they're majorly concerned, which is akin to saying "Mo might be on drugs" as far as the press is concerned, is a bit daft. Also, the guy who made the Panorama programme included footage of himself sucking up to lance Armstrong - by your logic, can we trust him after seeing that?

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

Vdot - reading back I see what you mean, looks like auto correct added and changed so many words I struggled to make sense of my  own post too.image

If you ask me, the person who invented auto-correct is a can't.  

• Options

Anyone else sad that Mo hightailed it out of here?

• Options

As someone who is quite desperate to believe that Mo is innocent I'm a little concerned about how this is panning out. I do however think if he is innocent then he was on to a complete loser in having to face the world's media. It should have been Rupp and Salazar in front of them.

http://jumping-the-gun.com/?p=6676

But why did he say he had only talked to Salazar on Friday night? That's just bollocks isn't it? He says later on that he knew 3 or 4 days before the documentary so he must have talked to him about it then and, even if he didn't realise until he watched the programme all the details, surely something of this importance he would have been on the phone straight away - this is his coach for goodness sake.

And why say that he hasn't spoken to Rupp too? Surely if they are friends at all then he would have rung him?

All smacks a little of he is going across to the US to sit down with Salazar so they can all get their stories straight.

Very disappointing. I hate drugs.image

• Options
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

But why did he say he had only talked to Salazar on Friday night? That's just bollocks isn't it? He says later on that he knew 3 or 4 days before the documentary so he must have talked to him about it then and, even if he didn't realise until he watched the programme all the details, surely something of this importance he would have been on the phone straight away - this is his coach for goodness sake.

All smacks a little of he is going across to the US to sit down with Salazar so they can all get their stories straight.

Very disappointing. I hate drugs.image

Well if you're disappointed with that, you're not going to like what Im about to tell you.

You say Mo Farah said he first heard about the allegations in this program 3 or 4 days before it aired. Well if thats the case then explain why the makers of the program received this statement from Mo on the 19th of May.

"I have not taken any banned substances and Alberto has never suggested that I take a banned substance. From my experience, Alberto and the Oregon Project have always strictly followed Wada [World Anti-Doping Agency] rules and if there is ever a question seek guidance from Usada [United States Anti-Doping Agency] to ensure they are correctly interpreting Wada’s rules."

He only knew 3 or 4 days before it aired? Complete lie Im afraid. Not only did he respond to the allegations on May 19th, apparently he was actually told May 6th, the delay no doubt while Nike / NOP lawyers went through what they were going to say. So Mo has known about this for a month and had ample time to discuss the issue, he can't even argue he wasn't anywhere near Oregon in the last month since the previous diamond league meeting he competed at just a week or so ago was in errrr .... Oregon.

And thats why he hightailed it out of the UK because papers were picking up on the discrepency and he needs to get back to mission control so all the participants can get together and discuss what joint statement they are going to come out with.

You watch, the next time we hear anything from Mo will be through a 'statement' not out of his own mouth. Just the way Nike's / Nike Oregon Project lawyers like it.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Yeah, he messed up that public statement...or whoever is doing his PR did. he should have just come out and said he knows nothing about any doping, just wants to concentrate on his training/racing and will leave Salazar if allegations are found to be true...and then been honest about any TUEs etc. Then nailed the 1500m and carried on. Now he just looks more guilty...and maybe he actually is. I hope not too, I like him, read his book, like his story. Feeling very cynical about the lot of them at the moment, couldn't really enjoy the nike vs adidas athletics show this weekend on tv also.

• Options

Mr I - reading the transcript of the interview again he says he knew about the allegations for 3 or 4 days before making a statement so perhaps that was the statement back in May.

But, as you say, that just makes it all the more bewildering that he should suggest that he hasn't had a chance to talk to Salazar or Rupp about it.

Perhaps none of them realised just how many former NOP athletes were going to appear giving evidence?

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    "I have not taken any banned substances and Alberto has never suggested that I take a banned substance. From my experience, Alberto and the Oregon Project have always strictly followed Wada [World Anti-Doping Agency] rules and if there is ever a question seek guidance from Usada [United States Anti-Doping Agency] to ensure they are correctly interpreting Wada???s rules."

Isn't this also pretty much the statement Galen Rupp gave? I do wonder if Nike circulated this at various times on behalf of various NOP athletes.
  • Options

Not a good week for Mo, all things considered. Next WADA will put Quorn on the list of banned PEDs.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I hope he is innocent but It does all look very suspect as far as farah is concerned.

You can bet your life he would have been tested if he had broke the record at the weekend or not. Making a big fuss about not being mentally prepared to race and then flying to the Narc-Otic-on project seems as dodgy as his prior fainting farces. I mean, if a pro athlete is fainting and ending up in hospital, an answer of we don't know what happened is not going to cut it with the athlete not their management team. More likely he was dodging testing again.

I hope the allegations against ruup are false too as if he is proven to have cheated then Farah is going to be fucked by association, regardless of innocence or guilt.
  • Options

Thats what I dont get (re his collapse). He was in hospital for 4 days, no-one can work out what happened, and the response from his team AND UK Athletics is 'We have no concern, Im sure he's fine.' ....... say what? Youre in hospital for 4 days after mysteriously collapsing and we're all just going to pretend it never happened? Really?

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Anyone using the obscure facility known as Google will swiftly find out that questions were being asked about Salazar on similar lines to the Panorama coverage in ...

... so it seems very disingenuous of the UKA establishment to be acting surprised now.

Even when athletes are legally adults, it behooves (*) the governing body to advise them - not all elite British athletes come from stable, well-off families, have first-class degrees and honest, experienced, older mentors. (And we're not just talking doping - anyone remember Dwain Chamber's anecdote of throwing an offer of a sports scholarship to an Ivy League university in the bin because he had no idea about it?)

It is just not on to take the line that "unless coach X has been proved in some sort of court to be doing X Y and Z then we cannot and will not say a thing". It is remniscent of the Church child abuse scandals, where the protection of the children came dead last and the protection of the authorities came first.

It is perfectly reasonable to keep an ear to the ground and say, "Train with Coach X by all means, but since there have been questions about his use of Y, please discuss all medications and supplements with your appointed mentor A".

And to point out that Ron Hill ran 2:09 and a half for the marathon powered by jam and cakes.

* yes I looked it up to check it means what I thought it did image

• Options

Salazars response to being interrogated by WADA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk

• Options

Im just glad we can be totally confident that any review by UK Athletics will be totally unbiased and without prejudice. After all, aside from the fact Nike are bankrolling UK Athletics to the tune of £15 million in sponsorship, I can't think of a single reason why they wouldnt be totally fair in investigating a Nike led organisation that may or may not have indulged in doping. 

Who needs to muddy the waters with phrases like vested interest or conflict of interest for example.

• Options
    Laurent DLaurent D ✭✭✭

Just a question: Why is this being discussed as allegations? As I understand it, what was presented was photographic and physical evidence, accompanied by direct testimony by people as to what they saw or heard. Would these not constitute evidence admissible in a court of law?

They could of course be disputed or explained, but nevertheless, are they not more than allegations?