Options

Teachers

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Everyone knows that Performance Management is a load of crap, no matter what line of work you're in.  When I ring up personnel (they *hate* been called that...that's why I refuse to call them HR image), I always finish the call with the feeling that I've just been duped again, and that performance management is an industry in itself.  There are loads and loads of studies that suggest that Performance Management fosters the wrong behaviours in employees.

Having said all that, who said schools don't have performance management?  As far as I'm aware, they have done for years.  However, part of the problem with performance management in schools (in terms of expected SATS results) is that the kids just end up as records on a spreadsheet with some arbitary target against their name.  I.E., "Kid Number 1" must get a Level 5 at Maths.  This takes no account of the abilities of the child, the improvement they may have made even if they haven't reached Level 5, or if he he/she is just having a bad day on the SATs exam (i.e., the pet hamster died that morning).  I don't know what the answer is though.

• Options

How can performance management be crap as a concept, it can only be badly managed by those who administer it, done well it works very well. If what you're saying is schools will fail to administer it properly then there is a cure. You simply can't say a concept is crap when clearly it works in business.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    It doesn't work in all business as it can actually drive the wrong behaviour. GIYF.
  • Options

Anything can drive the wrong behaviour if managed incorrectly, if its managed well it works fine and the only people with any concerns are the under-performers

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    We'll agree to differ image