Options

Chester marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

The P&D 70 mile one but I've got races the frst 2 weekends of the schedule so I'll be a bit all over the place with my running for the first 3 weeks trying to use the races as speedwork and getting the long runs in as early in the week as possible.

• Options
    Bluemoon86Bluemoon86 ✭✭✭

Evening all, just signed up for this one!

What are your experiences? I was debating between Chester and Liverpool but the scenery and flat nature of the course (?) made Chester the winner.

Best start training then, done a couple of half marathons this month but time to step up!!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Good running peeps!image

Gazelle- i plan to have a blast at the 10k on Sunday- see what shape i'm starting off fromimageimage

Bluemoon- Cracking race IMHOimage

8 easy miles in the rain tonight- legs still feeling Sunday's hillsimage

• Options
    Bluemoon86Bluemoon86 ✭✭✭

Great stuff Jason, had to pull out of a 15 mile trail race on Saturday due to an interview on Monday! Must prepare!

Absolutely can't wait for Chester, I'll hope to become accustomed to a few names on the thread! Would be happy with Sub 3:30 but I'm secretly gunning for 3.15ish image

• Options

Re times - doing my 1st marathon at Chester - a bit early to say what is a realistic time - say sub 4:30 - but if I can improve my half marathon time by 10-15 mins next month and put in some good training then the dream of a sub 4hour is still on for me!

• Options

Paul Cooke 4 - re. PF and the sock! I trained for the Manchester marathon with PF and towards the end of 16 weeks training my foot hurt with every step! The physio recommended the Strassburg sock which you wear all night and keeps your foot in a stretched position. Since using it my foot is loads better and I've been running pain free for the first time in months!image I still get the odd twinge and it remains to be seen how it copes as I increase the training but on the evidence so far I'd definitely recommend buying one.

Anthony Collins 8 - you seem to be thinking along the same times as me and TF! What is your half marathon PB?

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

12 miles for me today. I am also on the <= 70 mile P&D schedule. Going to have to get used to a lot of MLR's during the week....hope my boss doesn't mind....

• Options

Alison preece 2 thanks, I have been waring an ankle support thinking it was helping, but noticed it was better without. Been for a 6 mile this morning maanaged 7.45 min mile, so was pleased with that. hope I can pull out some more mileage at that pace..!!

• Options

First run after Buxton half, and to be honest I've really been struggling after the Manchester marathon. It seems I've had a rotten chest infection which just won't go, and the conditions at Buxton (same as Manchester) did nothing to help.

Anyway, with any luck it is clearing up gradually and I've got a week in Croatia to recover fully. Although I expect the weight to pack on a little.

• Options

Evening all

Haven't been on in ages, well seem to have work through my chin injury so building mileage back up slowly image

• Options
    Looking forward to the race report already Jason d.

Bluemoon I want in between those times alsoimage I did London marathon this year in 3:29 so need to beat that! Hardcore training has commenced. Have you done any marathons before? If so what is your PB? If not what times have you ran your recent half marathons in?

It's getting exciting now only 16weeks to go yikes. 9 mile run today avg 8:42mm saving some energy for a 16 mile run on Friday.
  • Options

Nice easy 6.5 mile club trail run this evening, conversational pace, having a laugh, made me remember why I love to run.  Parkrun on Saturday and 12 miler on Sunday.  Life is great

• Options

AP2> My HM PB is 2hrs 8 mins. But I did a lot of walking in that over the last 3m. I've done a 52m 10k - so feel I ought to get below 2hrs when I do my 2nd HM - in late July.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

5 mile recovery run for me today. Must run slow!

Got some storms coming next few days. Lovely.

• Options

Hope the storms arrive after 11am tomorrow as I have a long run planned.

• Options

AC8 - are you following any particular training schedule? The plan I'm following reckons I should be able to do a sub-50 10k and and a sub-1.50 half as part of the marathon training and if I manage both of them I will be a very happy lady! Which half are you doing? Mines not until the start of September.

You guys out there who are looking for sub 3:30 marathon times - have you always been fast or did you start off at over 4 hours and have gradually chipped away at your times?

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I have only done two marathons, 1st was 3hr26, 2nd 3hr13. I have been running quite a while though, and mostly ran shorter and faster. When I first started entering races it was 10k's for a few years (only 1 a year), then halfs before getting more serious and attempting the marathon. My fastest 10k before attmepting first marathon was 40mins, and fastest half was 1hr30...so I guess what I'm saying is the paces that I ran in the marathons I was used to.

• Options

I like your times 15 West, my best 10k was 51, best half 1hr 56 and Chester last year was my first full 4.55. which I was disappointed with. So training at the mo with 4.15 in my sights. but would like sub 4 if poss.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

the key is to get some speedwork into your training along with the long runs. I now have a 10k pb of 38mins and half pb of 1hr 27. I hope one day to go sub 3hr for the marathon.....

You may need to adjust your marathon goal along the way depending on how well your training is going.

A good idea is to have several goals, one you'll be over the moon with, one you'll be happy with, and one you'll be satisfied with.

• Options

Nice times 15!! If I could run  those 10k and HM times I'd fancy my chances of getting close to sub 3hrs next time out. I did 3:16 at Manchester with PBs of 41:31 for the 10k and 1:35 for the HM.

Unfortuneatly.....I ran 9 miles out of 12 this afternoon and had to stop, the knee thats been giving gyp for the last week or so really flared up. I think I'm going to have to take a few days off and see how it goes. 

• Options
    Cheers 15 , have started doing speed work twice a week seems to be going well!! Looking forward to the results. Have booked into the Lake Vyrnwy half so it gives me an idea were I'm up to for Chester .
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

will be glad when it is race dayimage

• Options
    Wishing your life away compo!!
  • Options

AP2> My training schedule is basically "MyAsics" I told it I wanted to do 4 hours and my 5k time (24.30 approx). I'm a bit behind on the training though as I've picked up some injuries over the past few weeks. I think I'm OK again, but I need to be really careful not to overtrain.
     I'm running Windsor to Marlow Up Tow Down Flow (or something) as a half marathon on 22nd July. That'll be my 2nd half marathon since Reading on 1 April. I ought to be able to run much faster this time as I know what I have in store. 
    I'll slot it into my regular training - should be running 20k for my longer runs then anyway image 

• Options
    Good to read that all and putting in good mileage and times. Keep up the good work, October will soon be here!

One hilly 6 miler, and steady 7 miler for me this week, then today decided to do 5x1 mile reps @ 6min 20 pace with 1min 40 rest - that certainly woke me up, especially doing that on my lunch!

Easy 30 min tomorrow then long run on Sunday. Also getting geared up for the Warrington half in September.
  • Options
    I am also aiming for 4:15, but would love to go under 4. Have got a 10k best of 49mins, and a half of 1:51. Did my first and only marathon this year at Manchester in 4:30 which I was a bit disapointed with although given the conditions (plus a months missed training) was probably not that bad, although as usual went off too fast. My problem is trying to stick to a proper plan, as I find it hard to fit in more than two shortish runs during the week and a long run on the weekend.

I've got a 10k next Sunday which I'm hoping to do in under 49mins (lets hope its all down hill!) then going to concentrate on building up mileage on my weekend run and trying to work out what is best to do for my other runs. Any ideas?
  • Options

I've got a 10k PB of 53:30 and a half PB of 1:54. I've since run 6 mile training runs in 50 mins so I'm thinking a sub-50 in a race is acheivable but the half time was done with a friend from work acting as pace maker and I'm not sure now how I managed to do that time! I've run one on my own since and didn't even break 2 hrs! I was so disappointed!image

My training includes speed sessions, tempo runs, long runs and recovery runs so I think I've got everything covered! Marathon training starts on Tuesday and I can't wait!

• Options

Hey AP2 your 10k time is almost the same as mine. I think mine was 53.27 but my half marathon time was slower 2hr34seconds. I just couldnt get under the 2 hours.

Ive got the day off today as its my birthday - the big 30 so have just come back from a birthday run. 10.03miles 1hr 38 av pace 9.52 average pace 1157calories burned.

Going to plan a speedwork session in next week, prob monday club run

JD - this hill at mile 22ish of the race. Where abouts is that. Is it the hill that comes up past the college then past the george and dragon pub or is it the hill through the industrial sealand estate. I cant really think of any other hills. I just want to know so that on my longer runs I can plan a bigish hill in at the end of the runs to get used to it.

Happy running everyone over the weekend

• Options

Happy 30th Birthday TF! Enjoy eating some cake now you've burnt off all those calories!

Got a short run/swim planned for tomorrow, then 12 miles on Sunday.

• Options

AC8 I'm also using the Asics Plan. Have found it very good so far, ticking off the days on the calender and the pace times given, all in all very helpful.

Happy birthday TF have a great day.

Up the boro have a good 10k hope you achieve your goalimage