Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

780.5 in the 16 weeks up to and including Paris 2012.  Peak week 61.5 miles.

Knew those excel sheets would come in handy one day.

• Options

ATM - Blue's good, and I fell in love with Juliette Binoche on the spot, but it's tough going. Hard to say about Love Me If You Dare - i'd say if you liked Betty Blue and Delicatessen, give it a whirl and see what you think. It's a black comedy minus Jeunet's whimsy. In the twisted French love story sub-genre, He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not's worth a watch as well.

• Options

Monkey man - As others have said it's hard to judge an estimated time based of a time from 12 years ago. I did roughly 550 miles in the 16 weeks prior to Paris in 2012 with a peak mileage of 55.

It took me until marathon number eight to crack sub 4 and that was my third attempt at sub 4. I missed out once due to cramp in the final 2km and once was a complete write off in terms of time due to injury when training. When I did finally break it that was in Paris this year with a shock 3:49, which I really didn't expect to run.

I'll admit that I'm not a naturally athletic person though, so that fact I managed a sub 4 should be a boost for anyone.

Kaz - One day we really need to get you to the start line not injured, not stressed and not ill.

• Options

Eggy - I could give you that challenge.........a sub 3.45 will be easier!!!!

• Options
    Eggy - I'll second your hopes for Kaz! Paris 2013 is the one.

I know nothing about running but movies I can do.

Weedy - I'm going to disagree re: Three Colours. (But this is why we love movies - everyone takes/appreciated something different from films.) I adore Blue. Beautiful, lyrical, elegiac, upsetting, real. (Sorry, I may be turning into Mark Kermode - but I don't have the hair.) White is interesting but a bit of a bind. Red is luscious and has the inestimable Irene Jacob, perhaps the most beautiful woman in the world. And Jean-Louis Trintignant. Wonderful. But Blue is the one I go back to.

I also adore Michael Haneke's crazy movies. Code Unknown is an excellent, disturbing Paris film, also with Juliet Binoche. Ah, French cinema/German cinema - so different and pure class.
  • Options

Kaz - If we get you to the start line healthy and relaxed you'd coast a sub 3:45. You ran sub 4 in Paris with an injury!

Right now i just want to be injury free and get out for a run. I already spend most of my free time holed up by myself, extra time stuck in the house is driving me nuts. That and it's becoming increasing difficult not to just go and stuff my face with chocolate and crisps.

• Options
    Eggy - not long before you'll be out and about again. I've been overeating since Berlin and don't see my PF settling at all. Easy done but you'll bounce back soon. It's incredible how important exercise is for emotional well being. are you swimming/biking at present or been told complete rest?
  • Options

Iain - I'm not allowed to cycle with the injury and I tried the pool on Monday night and was getting some pain when trying any type of stroke so gave up on that too. It's going to be a long few weeks.

• Options

Thanks for the posts Tricky, Orbutt, Eggy and Weedy.  DLR, not sure Ill get to 780 in 16 weeks, that's some going!  The 10 week plan to get me to 10 miles and 20 miles a week totals 130 miles by mid Dec, the sub 4 plan I want to follow totals 546 miles for the last 16 weeks, peaking at 43 miles, it also includes 3 x 20+ mile runs, plus 1 speed-play or tempo run each week from week 5 of the first plan (alternating weeks), plus a few hill runs for good measure.  

Tricky, Orbutt, I will be 40 this time round image so not a complete right off.  Re weight, I'm carrying too much but no more than I did last time.  I've done a few halfs in the inbetween years, best was 2:02.  Last one was GRN10 in 2:14 although that was off about 6 training runs, max 4 miles image.

My mileage was no where near where it should have been for FLM, with only 1 run above 15 miles (21 miles) so training was pretty inconsistent.

From previous posts it sounds as though a good number of 20+ mile runs, plenty of interval sessions and 500 odd miles in 16 weeks will be required if I am to stand any hope, I guess the best I can do is follow the 10 week plan, then take stock.  Thanks for the input image.

• Options

Monkey - You certianly seem to be able to post times I couldn't do with so little training, so if you put the effort in with your plan you should arrive in good shape. I think as you work through your plan you'll develop a better idea of what sort of time you can achieve.

• Options

Eggy, injury sounds a nightmare.  I hope it sorts itself quickly.  I'm hoping you're right, putting my old times in to the calculators doesn't tell me what I want to hear!  I'm more focused this time round, but will heed advice and listen to the body.

• Options

Iain - Code Unknown left me a bit cold, but I liked Hidden a lot... And German cinema begins and ends with Herzog in my book.

Eggy, Kaz - hang in there

DLR - happy birthday for tomorrow. I'll buy you a pint next time I see you.

Everyone down in London  - I trust you had a good time tonight. If I don't get back on here before Sunday, good luck Dannirr and DV, the radio interview was great.

• Options

Thanks for the posts Tricky, Orbutt, Eggy and Weedy.  DLR, not sure Ill get to 780 in 16 weeks, that's some going!  The 10 week plan to get me to 10 miles and 20 miles a week totals 130 miles by mid Dec, the sub 4 plan I want to follow totals 546 miles for the last 16 weeks, peaking at 43 miles, it also includes 3 x 20+ mile runs, plus 1 speed-play or tempo run each week from week 5 of the first plan (alternating weeks), plus a few hill runs for good measure.  

Tricky, Orbutt, I will be 40 this time round image so not a complete right off.  Re weight, I'm carrying too much but no more than I did last time.  I've done a few halfs in the inbetween years, best was 2:02.  Last one was GRN10 in 2:14 although that was off about 6 training runs, max 4 miles image.

My mileage was no where near where it should have been for FLM, with only 1 run above 15 miles (21 miles) so training was pretty inconsistent.

From previous posts it sounds as though a good number of 20+ mile runs, plenty of interval sessions and 500 odd miles in 16 weeks will be required if I am to stand any hope, I guess the best I can do is follow the 10 week plan, then take stock.  Thanks for the input image.

• Options
    Lovely dinner lovely peeps
  • Options
    I'm on the train heading home. Great fun this evening! image
  • Options
    Things I have learned this evening: Jimbob looks absolutely nothing like the pictures he's been posting; Mrs Dannirr is lovely and very understanding, and apparently I'm running Comrades in 2014 image .
  • Options

thats only cause i shaved my machineist style (movie nerds spot the reference) facial hair off

• Options
    Great time at dinner tonight - what a great group of people! Thanks fr all coming out and a special thanks to YM for comng so far. RR and I are doing Comrades - anyone else?

I really never thought running Paris last year would lead to meeting such great people. Cool.
  • Options

thanks all the same D, i'll pass on an 87km run in the heat. You and RR knock yourselves out.

Anyone wants to join me in wonderful Reading (2 weeks before the big day) this one will sell out ...

http://www.readinghalfmarathon.com/index.htm

• Options

Glad you all had a lovely evening.image

Comradesimage.......Good luck Dannitt and RR!!

For the first morning in a long time, it wasn't an effort to get upimage A lovely crisp frosty morning out there, 8k ran before I even realised it?!?!? Must be a good sign!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dannirr wrote (see)
    Great time at dinner tonight - what a great group of people! Thanks fr all coming out and a special thanks to YM for comng so far. RR and I are doing Comrades - anyone else?

I think Weedy and I were considering it in 2014.... what do you say, weedy? image

Well done on the run, Kaz! It's great when that happens!

@Jimbob - i've done reading before and we didnt have a good day together so i'm out for this time. 

• Options

Comrades..    2014 will be the 'Up Run'...   its usually first weekend of June and that is two weeks before a 100 mile ultra I am planning.   I can't miss the 100 but would consider Comrades too if we have a group doing it...

• Options
    If we have a group, I will appoint myself tour guide!
  • Options

Will Lucas Radebe be there?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

'morning, all. kaz, that kind of morning is the best. I can't wait for the bright sunny ones where there's enough snow to put off the cyclists and the cycle track down to the sea is all mine! * insert crazed laugh...*.I love my yaktrax...

Last night's dinner sounded good.I was sorry skype froze and I didn't get to see the belly-dancers..RR included.

'got a quick email from tartanpimpernel who got stuck in Washington by Sandy and got back home just in time to go back to work rather than have a couple of days R&R.I hope she writes a report on the storm as well as the race.

WG&Iain...Hidden? Noo...I'm sure it's a con. And I didn't want to see Daniel Auteil, whom I like, in the buff not Ms. Binoche( who wouldn't want to look like her?) in a Cell-Block 11 shift dress and slippers..

Must not order all those DVDs. 'must go for a run.

• Options

Morning all...bit bleary eyed here.

So, last night was good fun image  Jimbob couldn't see us in the pub so he asked some random man if he was DV.  Turned out this guy had done Paris this year anyway so all was well, even if he wasn't DV.

DV is officially an old man, according to Radar Sal.  Suzy turned up for a swifty on her way home and was still there when I left.

Danniirr made it after an M25 Incident...Mrs Danniirr is very lovely.  RR did have a medal with her as she'd just had it engraved so it felt like a proper runners night out.  I had to disappear in a puff of smoke at 10 to get my train home and was joyously entertained all the way to Didcot by approximately half of the Royal Navy who had been on a jolly and were very drunk.  They got kicked out of the quiet carriage so came to sing bawdy songs and holler at each other just by me....train manager told them to STFU so at least they stopped "singing".  If the defence of the realm is down to that lot I'd be worried....

Juliette Binoche's boyfriend bought Mr Maj's old Citroen DS19 a few years ago.  He was gutted that she didn't accompany him to pick it up...I love Blue though image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I'm just trying to work out how TJB asked the question of a random stranger? "er...excuse me but are you Dark Vader?" Legend

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

* Memories of being with Radar Sal in Paris pub approaching strangers with lines like' We're looking for some guys we met on the Internet...* Before we found the thread, we did meet some randoms ...

Watch it, again, yer_maj and spend your down time wandering round the locations..

• Options
    ATM - Hidden I'd forgotten! I loved it. In some ways it is a con but a brilliant one. I also think The White Ribbon is superb. Haneke's movies are torture for some and the one he remade in America about the house invasion - name escapes me - was awful, but deliberately so. I couldn't see the point...

Weedy - Herzog is an amazing film maker but no room for Wenders, more recent movies like Goodbye Lenin, The Lives of Others?
  • Options
    Eggy - that's crap. Hope the next few weeks go past quickly.