Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Cheered me up too, dv!

Happy thanksgiving Dannirr (if it still is!)

Sorry weedy, can't be any help on books. Assume you've searched amazon...
  • Options
    I braved the wind for my tempo run tonight and was pleased but tired in the legs so rest day tomorrow.

I managed 3.62 miles at an average pace of 9.45. Given that my last 5k was 30.14, that's a significant improvement for me. I managed the first 2 miles in 9.30 per mile then faded a little. Hr av was 159bpm, with a new all-time high of 177bpm! It really helps having a faster runner to go with image

And now I'm about to tuck into a big fat steak with butternut squash chips, yum!
  • Options

Weedy - Running anatomy by Joe Puleo

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Weedy, have a look here    and there are lots of ' Swiss Ball' video exercises on youtube.  If only I actually did  any of them....

• Options

Thanks for those - they look spot-on

• Options
    Neil Belgium wrote (see)

Clag wrote (see)
    I used to know a guy that went to aerobics. He liked to perv from the back of the class.

Even worse, I've heard of guys using bikes in the gym as a cover to perve on men doing aerobics classes. In Leeds

Neil - my biggest laugh today! Nice one.

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭
    DV - I do parkrun regularly. You build up a regular crowd of runners and everyone takes a turn at volunteering. I like the social bit too - each run adopts a cafe for post race drinks. It's a good way to get to know other runners.

Just back from reps this evening. 5 x 1500 m, tough session.
  • Options
    Happy thanksgiving Danirr.

On my way home at last image rest day today and probably tomorrow due to a full day of travelling. Currently waiting for 6 hours in Dubai for flight back to Manchester......
  • Options
    Happy Thanksgiving Dannirr, and anyone else from those parts image .

DV - I'm a big fan of parkruns, and I'm planning to do the Edinburgh one this weekend when I'm there. The great thing is that you only have to register once, and print off a barcode once, and you can take it along to any parkrun anywhere in the world. They'll store all your results on the website for you, and give you a whole world of stats to play with. Debra Bourne (try the wannabe ultrarunner thread) organises one of the London ones, she might be able to help.

Adding extra miles to a half mara or other race is a good idea, but I'd strongly suggest putting in the extra miles before the race. It would be pretty dispiriting to see everyone else finishing, and know you still have another 7 miles, or whatever, still to go.
  • Options

I managed to do some actual real exercise. I might not go as far as to call it swimming, more floundering through water, but still for the first time in ages I actually feel like I've done something. image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Yay Eggy - you're on your way, mate. image

• Options

Good one Eggy!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Great news, Eggy! Whenever I'm in the pool - I feel like im floundering in water!
  • Options

Happy Thanksgiving Dan and family.

Come on LFC!

• Options
    Thanks all. About to sit down for another marathon....eating session. :!
  • Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)

Including carb loading?

• Options
    Sad I didn't get Radar Sal to bite on my hook earlier today. But I did lay out a challenge to the 16-18 yo lads I do fitness training for at the hockey club, to beat me running 'suicides' tonight. All running on soft grass so knee was ok. Ha ha, the old git still has it image

Glad you managed to do some wet arm waving tonight Eggy. Anything to get the old ticker going hey!
  • Options
    Did my first Spinning session tonight with the Tri club, followed by circuit training. Totally kn@ckered now! And no perving. And no men doing aerobics.

Well done Eggy. I have just ordered 'Swim Smooth' from Amazon - it seems to be the swimming equivalent of P&D. At the moment I splash about a lot, without much forward movement....
  • Options

Great news Eggy. Have a good day Danni - just pace yourself through the courses.

Public announcement... Venice marathon entries opened today. 8,000 places available. Or 7,999 places I should say image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Back in the saddle, Eggy! image It's great news. Entried for the Paris Tri open in January...I'm just saying..

Weedy.You will love Venice. If Paris has the most spectacular Start in the world, Venice must surely have the best Finish..

• Options

Thanks all, feels good just to be able to do some for of exercise.

Weedy - Venice very nice.

• Options
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Dannirr wrote (see)

Including carb loading?

Almost all carb loading, with a good dose of tryptophan (in the guise of turkey) thrown in.

• Options
    Wow.... that was a dreadful night. Severe storm, heavy rain etc...
  • Options

Pretty bad here too - I'm off to aquaplane to St Albans soon....rock'n'roll....

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Don't let a bit of weather put you off....8 miles for me last night

• Options

For any aquatic flounderers:

http://www.swimtypes.com/

I'm an 'arnie'.  When I try to swim crawl in a typical pool my feet sometimes hit the bottom...I must swim at a 60 degree angle.  Probably similar with breaststroke, and would explain why I have to put in an awful lot of effort in order to go very slowly.

• Options

Horrendous weather here too.......but its rest day for me(from running)..........Off to work now and It'll be 9.30 before I  get home tonightimage

• Options
    Weedy - you'll love Venice. You get to run across the Grand Canal on a bridge they build especially for the marathon.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Absolutely shocking weather here and it looks to get worse... a gentle 15 miler for me tomorrow.

How is everyone else doing?

• Options

Interesting re swimming DLR spend hours and hours watching young Master NGUG swim at his swim club (he swims five times a week and competatively).  With breast stroke one of the most common faults is that your arms and legs can end up working against each other so you are effectively pulling yourself backwards meaning that you make much more effort than anyone else but end up going slower!  Crawl the arms are important too if you have straighter arms rather than too angled you can move much quicker and kicking is pretty important too!  I am a bit like a backseat swimmer spend loads of time watching but couldnt do it myself!!

Emmy - 10 miler for me tomorrow have missed out on a couple of LSRs over the last couple of weeks so am taking it gently... hopefully the weather wont be too bad..

Weedy - good luck with Venice lovely place.. the bridge did sound a little weird....

Dannirr - happy belated Thanksgivingimage

DV - love the picture made me smile this morningimage

Hilly intervals for me this afternoon and PT tomorrow..