Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Ah god love you, you're on the same romantic page as Mr Maj.  I've not fully recovered from last year's "present" yet....

• Options

That was what she asked for... They might be someother bits & pieces

• Options
    helterskelter wrote (see)

PS the things from chi that have helped me most are cadence, forward lean, the fact that my core seems properly engaged and not letting my arms drop - ie keeping my arm movement hand to hip and then elbow to hip.

I'm scheduled for hill intervals in the snow tonight. Bah.

I certainly don't do that. If anything I notice I tend to have my arms too high I think. When I first started running I did get really sore and tense shoulders on my long runs. Still get that a bit today, but not near as much as I did.

• Options

Ran 11k at lunchtime, half of which was our work running club race. I crossed the line first, having relatively ambled round (first run in 11 days, HR was below what I would run a marathon at).  As I was waiting for people to arrive at the finish, there came two guys who had not started at the same time as the main bunch. So I went from first to third fastest just like that. The second placed guy beat me by 6 seconds. I could easily have done that. Ah well. At least I ran without getting an angry groin.

Dannirr - I don't know enough about biomechanics to say whether a flappy foot (exaggerated over-pronation) is always caused by issues further up the leg and therefore should never be controlled, or whether it is the cause of rotation of joints higher up and potentially should be tamed in some circumstances by motion control in the footwear.

I would tend towards caution and not interfere with natural movement - as you suggest - just can't say that it is always a Bad Thing™

Dave - 2XU compression socks hey. I'm asking my missus for knee high latex ones for Valentine's Day. Reckon I'll look killer in those. image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Good luck in the snow, Dave. I got all Goretexed for the sleet...which stopped and turned to blinding sun after the first two miles. * When I say ' Goretex', I mean plastic overtrousers...* Next few miles were a bit like being a boil-in-the-bag chicken...and then the icy wind was back. +1 for the cheap over-trousers, though.

Ah, Valentine's Day. I'd like yet another OS map...image

• Options

Its our wedding anniversay next week as well as Valentines.....  Massive opportunity to buy wholly unsuitable gifts she will never wear and hid at the back of a drawer

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
  • Options

Luckily it's our 4th wedding anniversary this time...which is Flowers.  Nice and safe after last year's Leather debacle....

• Options

say what... Y maj you can always be trusted to make me read at least a good few hours of the thread back to get the gist of what you are on about... leather debacle indeed!  Ran yesterday when the snow just started, spin this morning so no outside anything for me till tomorrow image

Kaz I have an image of you falling apart whilst running!  take it easy young woman!  ATM, never thought about my walking trousers for running ... I'm a bit of a sweaty bird, so the end result might be messy, but I'll give it a go if its still snowing tomorrow tea time. 

• Options
    Not injured but full of the sniffles. Going to run tomorrow come what may. Really need to start increasing my (pitiful) weekly mileage. 3:30 ain't going to happen unless I get off my backside.

Kaz - glad to hear you are back out running again. Others have already said it, so I won't. Changed my mind, I will say it - TAKE IT EASY!
  • Options
    Frankly Kaz, you don't do yourself any favours by getting out training too quickly. You can easily give yourself a very big and dangerous setback. I know you won't stop running now you've started, so my advice would be to wear your HRM each time you run - touching the skin that is - and to set an alarm on your watch.

This week, if it goes over 70% of your heart max, let it beep at you so you slow down. Do a week of running with no problems, strictly following the guidance of the alarm, you can give yourself another 5%, incrementally adding 5% on your alarm threshold each injury free week. that will give you a steady month to progressively move up towards the sort of efforts that would correspond with marathon racing. The heart restrictions will discipline you to not over stress running and core muscles and this should save you from a catastrophe.

The fact that you are already quoting fast pace, even for short sections is just mad. For politeness sake I won't word it any stronger missus but please recognise the firmness of the advice I am offering. Get rid of any time goal for Paris. Think health goals. Make your A race in the autumn. Don't risk not being alive or fit for that one!

Can someone now post the pic of the big pointy finger pleaseimage
  • Options

Kaz, he means FFS Wummin....

Which is what I thought too.  And I thought I was impatient....image

• Options

Ok people,  I do get it and am  going to do it - that was the point of wearing the HRM today although I made a big mistake!

I will behave. Thank you all for your stern words, I know they are all well meant...........and I want to see you all in Paris.........and I am not happy at you for bringing the tears to my eyes TD!image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Kaz - if we didn't care so much - we'd say something different but we want to have you around in one piece. Here's always another marathon.

Where's weedy with the good pictures?image
  • Options

Wagging finger lady in leather?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Kaz it's only because we care.

Emmy - you mad woman. Care to share your plans for the next few weeks in here? "There's always another marathon" says she. In your case that would be the week after image

ATM - lol at the boil in the bag image

Did 7.5 k this evening and was in full winter gear - I was bloody roasting. Also went off too fast and then hit a headwind. Still, finished in one piece image
  • Options
    Kaz - think of today as blowing the cobwebs away - now time to settle down into steady recovery mode.

Tommy - I meant to say earlier, if you're covering that sort of distance comfortably in that sort of time then you're definitely in sub-4 shape.

Another of P&D's delightful lactate sessions today - can't say I was looking forward to it, but it does feel good having got it out the way.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Orbutt - I never said I was one to followimage but seeing as you asked...

10th Feb: Genk marathon

17th Feb: London 50km ultra

24th Feb: Malta marathon

.... But then there's nothing of marathon distance before Paris.... Um.... Yetimage
  • Options
    Johnny Lyall wrote (see)

Massive thank you to Radar Sal for the supporters guide. Really helpful information!

no probs, hope it comes in useful.

yer_maj wrote (see)

Kaz, he means FFS Wummin....

Which is what I thought too.  And I thought I was impatient....image

hee hee hee, it's all sharin' the luv kaz!  You know we scare because we careimage  go easy on it mate...although I think we know you well enough to know that may not happen.

Got a run in this morning but leg is twinging so am going to hit the bike tomorrow (KAZ, note...this is being cautiousimage )

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Bonjour. My 1st marathon. Loads of info on the Paris site, and others including RW, but no-one speaks about race etiquette. Old forum suggests do and don't sheets with bib pack but no details is what to do. Eg Which side should slow runners be on? I ran the Paris 20k, very disorganised. Heard marathon is better but overcrowded, why don't they stagger start and drink stations on both sides of the roads. Or is it dog eat chien?
  • Options

PC91 - The marathon does have a staggered start, or more to the point they start the race in waves. I never noticed any crowding issues last year, but the water stations at any big event will always be a bit of war zone.

I'd don't think there's such a thing as a slow lane. Just find your rythm and keep tapping out. You've picked a great marathon for your first one.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    PC91 - welcome image

I wouldn't say that Paris is disorganised but I don't think that there was any etiquette regarding which side to run. In parts the route isn't wide enough to implement something like this.

Last year they did use a stagger start and as a result there was no real overcrowding - apart from the pens.

I think that having drinks stations on both sides of the roads would cause a bottleneck in some places - again due to the width of the streets. At least if they are only one one side and you are bypassing then you can run on the other side. Plus the drinks stations tended to be quite long, so there was never a problem getting a drink.

Anyway, introduce yourself. How is your training going? What is your target? Are you allergic to shellfish? (Weedy - name the film?)
  • Options

Hi PC91
    The personal etiquette rules I go with are...
    I don't have my ipod on loud enough so I can't hear what's going on around me
    If I need to stop for a wee, I run to the side of the road, then walk, not stop dead in the middle of the road and walk to the side.
    If I don't need to take anything from a station, I move to the opposite side of the road.
    And if someone looks like they're in trouble, I ask if they're ok.

Orbutt - allergic to shellfish... I'm going to have to think about that one. Nothing's jumping to mind. Sounds like it could be from a comedy tho, maybe, possibly.

Emmy H wrote (see)
    Where's weedy with the good pictures?image

Claxons will start ringing in our IT room if I start googling women in leather...

/members/images/727962/Gallery/images_0.jpg

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Live in France, did Paris 20k last October, this was disorganised, came home in 1h52 but started next to sub 1h30 and plus 2h30. Still it was great fun and I was still on the high 3 days later when the marathon registration opened. Training was going well, 23-27k LR, then had a kidney stone. Medicine knocked me for 6. Beginners lose form dramatically, wiped the smug smile off my face. Back on track. Great thing about being a beginner, loads of PB ! HM end of the month which will indicate my goal time, hopefully sub 4h. "1st timers shouldnt fix times", if I crash and burn then hopefully sub 5h.

Should have looked up the quote, fish called wanda ?
  • Options

Only film I can think of with shellfish in's Forrest Gump. Running connection there but I don't remember anyone being allergic to it. Unless it was a throwaway line from Lieutenant Dan

I'll keep thinking. Dammit, I'll be awake all night now.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the info. Btw I've found the quote, goodnight weedy.
  • Options
    Orbutt - put up your arms and all your flippers image . (And, for the record, lobster brings me out in a rash).
  • Options
    Mmmmmmm lobster. I had a lobster roll in New York, bloody lovely it was too.