Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Hello from a mountain top in The Netherlands (altitude 40m). Valkenburg Castle. Iain, RR, Kristi from USA/ Slovenia and Gerd (from Belgium) are going to be running across from the German border in about an hiur's time. Still upwards of 33C at the moment. After a long day in the heat, it takes courage to go and run it out. They've got to do 12kms each.

Tmrw we cross the Dutch border into Belgium and our final destination in Brussels, where we hope to compete with the coronation of the new King of Belgium for publicity (hey, we planned our gig first!!!).

What an experience this has been. It's going to take a while to process it all.... the sights, sounds, smells and thoughts. Human Trafficking is a profoundly complex problem. And my hamstring tendon that went pop 10 weeks or so ago is painful and inflamed. I only managed 266m of running today, so did the morning stint on the GPS bike. Fingers crossed I can run tmrw without too much pain.

In the week to come, I have a lovely visitor coming to see me from the IOM, start setting up a new place to live, and get myself booked in for some physio. Not to mention about 279 hours of sleep I've missed in the last 2 months. Thanks to you all for being such great supporters

• Options

TD..  top man!  image   You all are...  even the girls..  image

• Options

Greetings from Holland. Think we're in Holland anyway. We're somewhere in Europe.

Breakfast x2, lunch in a minibus and dinner to come.

Quote of the day - Iain discussing the lack of clean clothes: "Frankly, I'm sick of all the foulness."

Helter Skelter, Suzy M, DLR and I are sitting on a terrace outside the campsite bar having a beer tasting session. Sadly the campsite only sells one beer so it's fairly easy to pick a winner, but they taste fantastic watching the sun go down.

Been in Cologne today, off to Brussels tomorrow and the finish. Then an all-you-can-eat buffet tomorrow night - I hope the restaurant knows what they're letting themselves in for...

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Well done ITLR folks.  What a great adventure, and what a great achievement! 

• Options
    MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

RS - That 'Park run sounds like a great experience!  And since you asked so nicely, I'm looking at the Cannondale CAAD8 after a fun test: [first attempt at picture upload]

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/bikes-and-gear/bikes/road/1352825581143-o541p6woed6i-670-70.jpg

Realised yesterday that it's 16 weeks today until my first marathon.  Time to dig out a training plan I can cope with...

• Options

What an adventure for Team ITLR. And all for such a good cause. Well done again to all of you. The foulness will soon be forgotten, and wonderful memories will be with you for ever.

• Options

Mmmm , nice bike Wohlf.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Weedy - make sure you wave your piece of legistlation at the buffet people, so they fully understand their duty of care....

• Options

Weedy - if that doesn't work, flash your Convocation at them!

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Why are all those guys riding on our course??

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I know....I'm all misty eyed and nostalgic.  Mr and Master Maj have been treated to "That's where my pen was"...."Ooooh and I had a pee up that street"...."they're going the wrong way up the Champs"....

They're just loving it.....image

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

I'd like to point out to the itv4 announcers that the champs is closed for one morning a year too! When they're riding in the gutter I have pee flashbacks.  On the pee theme I stopped for one today and got a cheer from some unseen distant watchers, meh.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
  • Options

We are very tired and we smell very bad, but tomorrow we arrive in Brussels.

• Options

Posting tonight as I might not get a chance tomorrow...

Jul 27-28: Thunder Run - Malcs.
    Jul 28: Ironman Switzerland - Engineer.
    Jul 30: Maus' birthday.
    Aug 3: The Devil O' The Highlands Ultra - Kaz.
    Aug 5: Dublin Half - Straycelt.
    Aug 10: North Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Aug 11: Isle of Maus Marathon/Half - Maus, RR, RS, Weedy.
    Aug 17: Enigma Gold - Weedy. Helsinki Marathon - Pottermoss. London Gay Pride 10K - DLR.
    Aug 17-18: Enigma Gold Double - Emmy.
    Aug 25: Perth 10k - Eggy.
    Sep 1: Wolverhampton Marathon - Weedy.
    Sep 7: Aberfeldy Marthon - Clag.
    Sep 8: Elizabeth's birthday. Cumbrae 10-miler - ATM, Eggy, Helterskelter, RR, Scott W, TP. Run to the Beat Half - Jimbob.
    Sep 9: Bala Olympic Triathlon - Dave The Ex Spartan. English Half - Orbutt.
    Sep 14: Eco Trail Brussels - Emmy, TD. Silkstone Shuffle - DLR.
    Sep 15: Great North Run - Iain M, Jimbob, OO, RS, Steve Duffy, Tiddy, Weedy. Lake Vyrnwy Half - James B. Stirling 10k - Eggy.
    Sep 16: Paris registration opens.
    Sep 21: Langdale Marathon - Weedy. Paris Mud Run - PC91.
    Sep 21-22: Cotswolds 102m Ultra - DV.
    Sep 22: Harvest Trail Half - Yer Maj. Ladybower 35 - RR. New Forest Marathon - Emmy.
    Sep 29: Berlin Marathon - DLR, Emmy, Iain M, Jimbob, Kaz, Maus, Neil B, Orbutt, RS, Suzy M, Tiddy. Nottingham Marathon  - Weedy. Paris-Versailles 16k - ATM, TP.
    Oct 6: Cardiff Half - Yer Maj. Great Scottish Run - Wohlf. Kielder Marathon - Weedy. Royal Parks Half - Carl D, Lawyer Aaron. Onetit's birthday.
    Oct 8: Jersey Marathon - Princess Fiona.
    Oct 12: PF's birthday.
    Oct 13: Chicago Marathon - Danni.
    Oct 20: Abingdon Marathon - Steve Duffy. Amsterdam Marathon - Emmy, Megs, Weedy. Cabbage Patch 10k - Nic E. Toronto Half - Danni. Yorkshire Marathon - Malcs.
    Oct 20-25: Inverness to Skye 136k - TP.
    Oct 26: Beachy Head Marathon - Yer Maj.
    Oct 27: Frankfurt Marathon - Emmy. Marine Corps Marathon - Fanfan, Rick. Northumberland Castles Marathon - Weedy. Venice Marathon - Elizabeth.
    Oct 28: Dublin Marathon - Carl D, James B.
    Nov 2: DLR's birthday.
    Nov 3: Derwentwater 10 - OO. New York Marathon - Tiddy.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday.
    Nov 8-10: BCRC Cumbria weekender - Jimbob, RR, Yer Maj.
    Nov 9-10: Enigma Fireworks Double - Emmy, Weedy.
    Nov 10: Athens Marathon - Wohlf.
    Nov 17: Marathon d'Orleans - PC91. Valencia Marathon - Jimbob.
    Nov 24: Florence Marathon - Engineer.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Dec 1: James B's birthday.
    Dec 8: Newcastle Racecourse Marathon - Weedy.
    Dec 12: Enigma Marathon - Weedy.
    Dec 14: Enigma Christmas Marathon - Emmy.
    Dec 27: Wiola's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO's birthday.
    Jan 4-5: Enigma Double - Emmy, Weedy.
    Jan 9-12: Disney Dopey - Danni.
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.
    Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
    Feb 3: TP's birthday.
    Feb 6-9: Quadzilla - Emmy.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 28: Iain M's birthday.
    Mar 1: RS's birthday. Nothumberland Coast Ultra - Weedy.
    Mar 2: Silverstone Half - Iain, Jimbob, Wohlf.
    Mar 8: Jus T's birthday. Peter B's birthday.
    Mar 16: Barcelona Marathon - Emmy, 1T.
    Mar 17: Week at the Knees Marathon - Weedy.
    Mar 18: Paris Half - PF, Suzy M.
    April 6: Brighton Marathon - Iain M.

Apr 6: Paris Marathon
    Definite: ATM, DLR, DV, Eggy, Emmy, Helterskelter, Jimbob, Kaz, Maus, Mrs DV, Mrs O, NGUG, Orbutt, RR, Steve Duffy, Suzy M, TP, Weedy, Wohlf, Yer Maj.
    Maybe: Carl D, Danni, Engineer, James B, Lawyer Aaron, NCane, Nic E, OO, RS, Scott W, Simon Mac.

Apr 8: Alexander's birthday.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    April 13 London Marathon - OO, TD.
    Apr 24: Audrey's birthday.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 23: Suzy M's birthday.
    June 25: Keyser Suze's birth

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I really do think we need a light show on the Arc for us next year. 

D'you think team Sky are off to Corcorans?

• Options

And apologies if I've missed anything off that was mentioned in the past week - just been skimming the thread the past week...

...June 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    June 2014: Comrades - Danni, RR.
    Jul 10: RR's birthday.
    Jul 20: Wohlf's birthday.

• Options
    Running Rodent wrote (see)

The good thing is you probably all smell equally bad so don't notice! 

My burning question for you, RR: Will you ever wear an ITLR t-shirt, or orange for that matter, ever again?

But seriously, you, TD, Iain, Weedy, Emmy, Helter Skelter, Dougie Maus, DLR and Suzy (tell me I haven't forgotten a Convocant!) have my undying admiration and respect. I don't think I could have done what you have all done and with such elan.

• Options
    The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    Dannirr wrote (see)

Why are all those guys riding on our course??

i know - cheek! image

Had another speedy session today at the Oympic Park 5 mile with Radar Sal. Was hoping for a 6.30 min per mile average (at best) but came in at 6.36 min per mile average, considering the annoying congested first mile where we had to stop running twice, i'll take that. The track was lovely to run on - as we entered the stadium we did half a lap in the tunnel behind the lower tier seating which was very cool, as there were a few of us and they were playing the Steve Cram / Mo Farah commentery on the PA system which was VERY COOL and prompted me to do a couple of Jimbob-esque war cries and helped up hype us up for the 300 metre burn on the track - as we hit it, the crowds were on our right and the track seemed to give my legs a bit of spring - no super burn mind, i used that all up on mile 2 and 3, but a strong finish bouyed by Paula (who finished just ahead of me), running back against the flow of runners and hi fiving - i yelled "PAULA" and got my hi five in - the beautiful lovely legend that she is!

Had a nice day with Radar Sal and Pottermoss - we went for a "quick pint" (turned into a boozy couple of hours) with a couple of other pals of mine.

I need to lock the speed chimp away in it's cage till early September now and bring it out in time for my next 3 races happening around then. MUST concentrate on marathon training ....

Amazing vibes coming from ITLR, you guys! Weedy them beers must be tasting lovely, them orange tops smelling not so lovely .... Congratulations taking the relay passed 1000km 

• Options

Word in the camp is that we have no style at all and certainly no Elan, but we are grateful to Maus for imagining it could be true. We don't ALL smell bad. Apparently some of us been CHOOSING not to have showers.

ITLR Day 8 in the morning. I feel a certain kind of joy. What a trip this has been. As Weedy just said, "It's going to be such a comedown going back to work".

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    Running Rodent wrote (see)

The good thing is you probably all smell equally bad so don't notice! 

But seriously, you, TD, Iain, Weedy, Emmy, Helter Skelter, Dougie Maus, DLR and Suzy (tell me I haven't forgotten a Convocant!) have my undying admiration and respect. I don't think I could have done what you have all done and with such elan.

I agree - and I did leave DLR out of my earlier messages as I did not know he was there (I'm embarassed to admit).  Like the others, he is a great source of inspiration for my running, and for what's good in people.

• Options

Last day image

All of us running together from 9.15am to noon, then again late afternoon, arriving at the finish at about 6.30pm.

• Options

Epic..  what a run and what a team..   lasting friendships and memories..  image

The news about James is a downer...   fingers crossed for a speedy recovery...

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Good luck to the ITLR.

I know most of you have seen the message on Facebook that James Bagby has had a heart attack whilst running in the heat.  It appears he's in a coma "bringing his body temperature up today and try to wake him".  It's extremely thoughtful of Paula (his wife?) to inform us especially under such circumstances.

I only know JamesB73 through the forum, during his preparation for Paris he liked to push himself hard and was running LR with 2000ft elevation.  I don't know if he pushed himself too hard in the heat, I imagine that lots of factors come into play.  It shows the wise decision by the ITLR to change their strategy.

I have no medical training beyond the use of plasters, hopefully JB will be home soon in covalence and he'll have time to read up on the thread.  JB look after yourself, hopefully you'll be wielding your leaf blower soon. All the best mate.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Dreadful news about James. Really hope he has a fast and good recovery.

ITLR - Hope you all enjoy your final day of the run. Take care everyone.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Hi Weedy - Can you change the date of Mud Day from the 21st to 22nd September and add Tartan Pimpernel.  I cannot believe that TP is doing this, it's not because she a girly, as I'm going to struggle to keep up with her, but she's very elegant.  It is 13km over an army obstacle course and the first obstacle is 50m crawling under barbwire through the mud !

Other names you can add to your list, Brian Johnson, John Bender, Claire Standish.image

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Hi Weedy, can you add me to the Exeter 10k on 15th August and the Great West Run on the 13th October.  Thanks.

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Well done to all the smelly ITLR's, you've done amazingly. 

Sad news about James B, thoughts with him and his family. 

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Wohlf, fancy Millport in September?

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Well done ITLR folks!

Positive thoughts and hugs for James and his family