Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

RR - last year's position was perfect.  Gave you hope at the end of the last long stretch and you knew the finish was really just round the corner.  The flag could be seen from so far back, it was a real lift.

• Options

RR - wot TP said image

Having the flag and pole held up high gives everyone a boost as it can be seen (apparently) from a couple of kms back. So people feel a surge all the way to the end. And if the faster runners can peel back after the race to cheer people on, that's got to be a good thing I think.

Malcs - plenty of time to get niggles sorted. I went out to run this morning. I did 2.5kms warm up, ready to launch into some intervals... and... got in the car and came home. The tight Adductor muscle (groin) and compensatingly tight Piriformis muscle (butt) that TinkerBEL was treating last night, still feels too tight. Decided not to risk making it worse. Hard bike ride this afternoon instead.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I agree the last supporters point was a nice boost last year. Great to see the awesome supporters and knowing that Ave Foch does exist and the run will end eventually!

• Options

/members/images/345267/Gallery/Flag_infront_of_AdT-small.jpg

That flag (not the one "look we're fanTASTic 'cos we've got a really scary imaginary animal" on it!) on the pole, meeting up at that place in front of the Arc. This one was 2013.  RR - I'll be sure to bring flag and pole for you.

• Options

Some other scene setting. Some dude standing behind Parisienne Pompeurs. Photo thanks to Leeds Rob.

/members/images/345267/Gallery/Richard_with_Pompiers_at_Paris_Marathon-small.jpg

• Options

Celebrated downloading my convocation with the first airing of my new BCRC shirt today! image

• Options

I can only see my trainers in that photo!

Agree that last years final spot was great, gave you something to focus on in the last few km's, and you knew you were nearly there. Ideally I woild love it if, providing I get a medical certificate and can run, youngest junior accompanied/paced me to the finish but we will see nearer the time. 

No pasta for us i'm afraid- I need to eat earlier- although we will meet at the Arc and walk down as last year. image

• Options

More Intervals vicar ....

Went for a spin http://connect.garmin.com/activity/460197623 

and pressed the lap button on each rep as per TD's suggestion. Could have done with a bit more hydration, the SIS gel after the 4th rep didn't quite cut it in the spring London warmth .....

• Options

Hi everyone, I hear this is where the party planning takes place! 

TD, can you put me down for 2 at pasta papas. 

Is this where we should share things like where we are staying and cell phone numbers etc? I'm ashamed to say I've kept up really well on Facebook but not so much here on the forum. Welcome to all the new comers... That's weird for me to say as I was the new comer nkt so long ago. 

Last 20+ lsr this weekend I can hardly believe it!!!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    BRF, I usually draw up a Mobiles list. I ll post details , this evening. It s a usefu tool...especially for those of us who have been robbed and left penniless-in-Paris image
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Oops...just seen previous page. I ve had a Grand Day Out*

Thanks to TD for the details. It might seem overwhelming to Firt-timers but it s all jolly smooth and fun.

Aim for the Arc. You will benefit from the errr.. non creepy.group hug. After that, enjoy the support. All of it. Then, aim for the pub..sometime.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    BRF, I usually draw up a Mobiles list. I ll post details , this evening. It s a usefu tool...especially for those of us who have been robbed and left penniless-in-Paris image
  • Options

ATM - we should do pub from 5 again .....

Also, TD pls add Le Jimbob, Mrs Jimbob, Miss Jimbob1 & Miss Jimbob2 to Pasta Papas list (if you are the list fairy for that .....)

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

OK. Mobiles List:

Distributed only to those ON it...so that no-one needs to wander around with no mates...unless they prefer that, of course. It's very useful...not least because it'll keep you in touch with locals/French-speakers/those of us who HAVE been robbed and left penniless....image

So, your nick, name and number to me, please, in an email...* Even if you've done this , before, in previous years...so that I know you're happy being on the 2014 list *

atm paris 75 at yahoo dot com ..with no spaces and with the usual punctuation...

And I promise not to phone you at midnight. ( Well, apart from you, DLR, of course...)

• Options

Atm - Do you still have my number?? 

• Options
    kaz1 wrote (see)

Atm - Do you still have my number?? 

ATM u got mine right? x

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Folks, can you email me your numbers ...even if I had them last yea?. I do TRY to destroy everything after the race .

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

TD - many thanks for the reassurance!

Saw the physio - no tear, calf was just stuck in various places and needed a good bashing. So I'm now icing after the physio added his layer of pain on top of the one that was already there image

Should be fine in 48 hours so nothing to worry about (I still will of course image)

ATM - email on its way, many thanks! image

• Options

Thinking about a sports massage, how close to marathon would be too close??

• Options

Firstly, thanks to TD, RR, ATM for all the information and organizing. It really is lovely to be in with you lot image

Secondly, I've got a question about pacing. My training started well, then got scuppered and has now picked up a bit but I haven't really put the miles in and I've only done 2 x 20 miles recently, and a couple of 18m back in January. I did a half- mara in sub 1h55 (8:45 m/m pace) two weeks ago.

My last 20m (today) was done at 10:10 m/m pace. I was not totally spent by the end of it and my HR averaged 84%. This pace is actually faster then my planned marathon pace but I'm tempted to stick with it now. Its actually quite hard to stick to running this slow but I'm scared of having nothing for the last six miles if I go faster. Because I'm not exhausted by my rather meager training I'm not expecting any big gains from being tapered. Does this question make sense? Will someone just tell me what pace to run at image ?

Also, if I finish after 4h 30, will the flag still be there or will you all be collapsed in bars/hotel rooms?

Anxiety levels mounting image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Malcs - that's great news, one less thing to worry about. 

I can vouch for the incredible lift you get when seeing our flag flying over the road ( but which flag?) At about 23k last year, it was literally above the centre of the road and could be seen from a long way. It was like having an adrenaline shot. 

The 41k position is just after the Bois De Boulogne and the idea of seeing our support team there really drags you through the hardest part of the route. 

Excitement starting to build image

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Umm...td...I think we have a few more and wholly unique flag options this yearimage

Having supported a few times I'd recommend 2km from the finish. The last point in the supporters guide. When I can see the finish I'm sweet, it's that final long straight bit through the woods of death that gets me. BUT we have a few support teams and they will all have a common flag factor to look out for so there maybe a stool guard of honour in the planning. 

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

I'll post photos of all the stool flags that'll be in attendance closer to the time. Just got to get barca out of the way first. 

• Options

Weedy, can Chez and Sophie carry the Gingool?

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Benignmummuring - Yup, flags will still be there! Someone else will be along shortly with proper advice about pacing. I usually start slower than goal pace and reassess each 5 km. Do a head to toe mental check.

• Options
    benignmurmurring wrote (see)

Firstly, thanks to TD, RR, ATM for all the information and organizing. It really is lovely to be in with you lot image

Secondly, I've got a question about pacing. My training started well, then got scuppered and has now picked up a bit but I haven't really put the miles in and I've only done 2 x 20 miles recently, and a couple of 18m back in January. I did a half- mara in sub 1h55 (8:45 m/m pace) two weeks ago.

My last 20m (today) was done at 10:10 m/m pace. I was not totally spent by the end of it and my HR averaged 84%. This pace is actually faster then my planned marathon pace but I'm tempted to stick with it now. Its actually quite hard to stick to running this slow but I'm scared of having nothing for the last six miles if I go faster. Because I'm not exhausted by my rather meager training I'm not expecting any big gains from being tapered. Does this question make sense? Will someone just tell me what pace to run at image ?

Also, if I finish after 4h 30, will the flag still be there or will you all be collapsed in bars/hotel rooms?

BM - what was your average HR when you did the HM at 8:45m/m pace? 84% HR is probably closer to what can be sustained in a marathon if you get your fuelling right (see pg.327!). That would get you home in 4h26-4h27. So at that pace you would get to 10K in 1h03, HM in 2h13, 30K in 3h09, 40K in 4h13. We were supporting 5h30 finishers last year, maybe even longer. It was so much fun. Almost lost my voice.

Radar Sal - yes, there are many Stool flags to choose from. I don't have an opinion what RR waves really, as long as it is distinguishable. Just a thought though; if you are going to put one of your flags on a flagpole, it becomes more waveable with a slightly heavier fabric and some good eyelets to secure it to the pole. Otherwise there is a chance of it ripping or simply not being able to attach it. I'll leave it with you to ponder after Barca.

Good news Malc - just a bit of pain. Lovely to get it sorted now. How many days to the race is it Weedy?

• Options

TD - HR averaged 91% for HM. Luckily I can stomach isotonic gels really well - they remind me of something from my childhood; I have a pretentious Proustian moment every time I take one. Anyway, I would be more then thrilled with sub 4:30, given issues in training and its my first attempt. So my target pace is now 10:10 m/m (ish)

Seeing the Stool flags and peeing on the Champs Elysee are two things I'm really looking forward to image

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Decided to try running today again instead of Sunday,didn't fancy putting myself through a 4 hour cycle tomorrow only for my injury to come back on Sunday.I did an hour cycle followed by 4 miles at 9:30 min miles pace.No sign of my itband issues but my HR was a lot higher than before,usually I run about 8-8:30 min miles at that HR,could have been down to fact I had just cycled.Im going to try 8-10 miles tomorrow followed by a long cycle if there isn't any recurrence of my injury.