Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - That's great pace to be finding it effortless.

• Options
    LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Yay, Weedy's doing a countdown image

Yay image

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Doctors tomorrow, a little apprehensive!

six fastish miles tonight! all felt good. Plus one mile jog with a mini Stuchbury who had just acquired a new badge at Beavers - fitness badge! The other mini S mastered cycling his bike with stabilisers (he's only just 3 and wants to keep up with his big sister).

I have a sore throat. image

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Weedy - could you please add the Apperley Bridge Canter 10k to the list for me please for 22nd May.

PC - please add to my gold silver bronze (PB) PB is 3hr40
  • Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

He's our Carol Vorderman !

• Options

I have just got a charity place for the Paris Marathon and wondered if anyone was driving and could give me a lift in exchange for a contribution to fuel costs etc? I live 2 minutes from the M20 in Maidstone so en-route.

Also, is anyone looking to share a room? I have no accomodation booked and trying to do this on as much of a budget as I can!

• Options

Rest day today. Have run about 50 miles (and cycled 60!) since my last one, felt it a little at our work running group last night while doing intervals. Slept like a log though, 8 hours absolutely uninterrupted - a rare treat!

David Pearce - there's bargains to be had on air bnb if you don't have any luck.

• Options
    PC - wrote (see)
    Orbutt wrote (see)

He's our Carol Vorderman !

But less cleverer. And I don't look as good in a skirt. Anyone can join in the countdown - first come, first served.

Hi David - sorry, can't help, I'm flying in. I'm looking to share a room, but you don't sound like an attractive single girl, so it's a no on that front as well I'm afraid image
    Tell us a bit more about yourself - this your first marathon? Guess not if you've just entered at the last minute.

• Options

I had never heard of air bnb - what a good site! Thank you.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

I am convocated. image just a wee toodle around Barcelona to sort out this weekend.

• Options

Go RS! and all the Barcarunners. Hope you have a blast!

• Options

This will be my 4th Marathon. First was New York in 2007 when I was injured and got around in 5:42!

I did London last year in 3:52 as my calves went at mile 19 and was ready to push on for a 3:40.

I then did a marathon in 4:17 in August at Ironman UK.

I have been injured since then but did the Viking Marathon in January on just a few 5km training runs in 5:02.

I am just going to Paris to enjoy it and not race as I have not done the training. I am in Ironman Zurich so building up my run for that.

I am not female or single I am afraid but if you want to share and it is cheap… (lots of travel in the next 2 months so have to do it on a budget. I am even contemplating cycling there are back for a bit of training)

• Options

David Pearce - throw in a Channel swim and you'll be sorted for Zurich image.

OK, putting my Barcelona targets out there. I only have two, so let's call them A and B.

A - finish in under 5 hours for my Comrades qualifier, finishing fit, healthy and able to get back into training again next week. This is pretty much non-negotiable.

B - if I'm feeling good on the day, the weather plays ball and I feel I can do it without wiping myself out, I'll go for just under 4 hours, to start Comrades in the 3:40-4 hour pen. I should be able to do this. There"s no point in shooting for anything faster unless I get under 3:40, which I haven't been training for.

• Options

*rummages in toolbox for a hammer* right-o target nailing up... A nice shiney gold would be sub 4, maybe a cheeky 3.55, silver would be anything sub 4.30, and bronze is a finish... it is my first marathon after all!

Carrying things, I have two main ways, if I've got lots of stuff I use a cycling top rather than a running top as they have 3 deep elasticated pockets on the bag which are perfect for gels, etc (I don't risk keys in them though unless they have a zip too!) secondly I recently acquired a nathan bottle belt, it's perfect for a bottle and phone, but didn't fit more than that, i have adapted it with some hair bobbles to get extra elasticated loops on  it which works well for gel storage or hat, etc!

I am now convocated too... less feathery than I expected!

Did a double yesterday, 5M at lunchtime and 7M after work, the lunchtime run was great (gorgeous weather and everything) the second one was awful, but I'm taking away the positive that even though I felt like i was dragging myself round it I did the distance I intended which surely has to count for something!

On the tapering chat, the plan I've been following seems a bit more gentle than some of the others mentioned, still doing 4-5 runs a week, but the weekly distance for final week is 13M+race. Last long run this weekend (probably 21.5) then HM following week and 10 the one after.

18.5M last sunday was the most scenic run I've ever done, over on the west coast of Scotland, I struggled to keep the pace up due to the terrain in places, but just about managed a negative split overall, which is what I had intended...

• Options

*bag was meant to be *back

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

RR - surely you have a Comrades qualifier already?

• Options

Dannir - no, not within the right timeframe. Paris last year is too early, Beachy Head was too slow. Isle of Man and Ladybower 35 would be within the times, but neither was internationally accredited, so I don't think they would allow them. Barcelona is my main shot, and Boston is the backup.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Oh, ok.   I used Steamtown from October, which was 4 hrs, meaning I missed a coral cutoff by about 15 secs!  I don't plan on racing London anymore, but if magic happens perhaps I can better it.  One thing about Comrades - although your time is chip time, the cutoff is actually gun time, so one corral could make a difference....

• Options

Gorgeous Sunshine, hotter than any day last summer. It made for a very hard 7 mile tempo(was supposed to be 10 but I needed water so cut it short). Anyway hilly, hot and on shattered legs after last nights run I managed to hold a pretty decent pace. Still nowhere near where I wanted to be but definitely recovering....slowly! 

• Options
    Why do the highs always have to be followed by the lows? Moan gripe. Great run on sun then yesterday I start yet another cold. Nose streaming, son off school with it today too. I just want to run, is it too much to ask? But I feel lousy. Been taking zinc and vit c too but looks like my immunity is still low. Oh well. Feet up and lemsip.
  • Options

Leisurely 5 miler complete, back is sore again so annoying as  I'm having to manage it meaning less outside runs and dropping my mileage. As I wrote earlier it's just going to be about finishing for me this year and just trying to enjoy it. Hope everyone else is not having my problems and that your training is going well.

• Options

Paris is still a warm 17 degrees image I might do tomorrows LSR in the sunshine and try to see how different it feels. Last chance to do a trial of Imodium and practice energy strategy too. Jeepers its getting close image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hello, David and Martin. Welcome to the thread. Some sensible people will be along any minute to give you good running-related advice.. Until then, I shall bury you in info about the portaloos etc...I've messaged you through the forum but you may not receive any notification. Have a look at your Inboxes...if that kind of info interests you image

If you post your bib numbers, and pen colour, pehaps our list fairy will bring us all up to date...eh, DV?

The Who's Who 2014 is here  https://plus.google.com/photos/117729082344820870557/albums/5940991828462572481?banner=pwa

It's looking very sparse image Any of you shrinking violets willing to give us a clue to what you actually look like? It's no use saying' I'll be wearing shorts and trainers...'. If you send me a jpeg, with bib number and time goal...and any last words...I'll upload the photo. Running photos are best...although tasteful nudes are acceptable...Err..

• Options
    RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭

Hi Martin - If you are already running your targeted marathon pace for 22 miles I would say you are on track to break 3:30 but would suggest that your last long run this weekend is run at 8:30-9:00 min mile pace - you don't want to burn yourself out with the marathon just around the corner (most plans will have your long runs alot slower than marathon pace - maybe do the final 5 miles @ MP).

Fatigue has finally set in for me - feeling shattered today so went for a massage today insteadimage

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hi David and Martin. 

Martin. Unless you have to, I would suggest not bothering with a bag before the race as the bag drop off can be a bit chaotic and the last thing you need before the run is stress. I have seen people running the race carrying bags, as they didn't have enough time to drop them off.

You'd be best off wearing clothes that can be dumped in the pen and carrying a metro ticket to get you home after the race.

You might want to join in on the thread photoshoot at the Arc just before the start, this way you can get to meet some of the folks on here and calm your nerves a bit. That will probably take place around 7:45am with us leaving for the pens at 8:00am. 

Getting into the pens early mean you can go for a pee and then rejoin the queue for your next pee. Oh, and you can soak up the atmosphere.

• Options

Martin - how are you travelling over? Having run TW are you in Kent? I did TW 1/2 last year in 1:42. A challenging course and a very good time by you!

I am Bib number 23432