Options

Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Orbutt - words to live by. Thanks dude.

• Options

Orbutt, I think I'm going to refer to the above as 'Berlin post 930' and refer to it when my motivation is lacking. It's going to be like your Paris video - a proper motivator!

• Options
    The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Good read Orbutt, thanks for that mate.  Thanks Ciaran enjoying the ciders now, but not the race earlier on!

Timely words today too Orbutt as I ran my 3rd slowest HM.  Was clearly biting off more than I could chew aiming for a 1:39.  So I finished up with a 1:45 which is my slowest half since April 2011 (my second).  I am frustrated more than disappointed because in March at Silverstone I ran my PB of 1:33 so to have lost all that fitness and be so far off my PB is annoying and frustrating.  But I'm where I'm at for a reason and that's because I let things slip too much in the summer.  I'm also carrying a side/oblique injury and have the tailend of a cold so I can't be hard on myself.

Was such an up and down race today, pockets of feeling good followed by pockets of feeling bad.  Eventually the bad began to outweigh the good and from about 8M onwards I was relying on pride to get me to the finish line.  But what was good about today was that it was a reality check.  I have never really had to assess my fitness before and I attempted it today but got it wrong.  You live and learn eh!

Hope you guys got some good LSR mileage in this weekend.  Very tired today but already looking forward to next weekend's 18 miler.

• Options
    Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else doing the Yorkshire Marathon 3 weeks after Berlin? I'm not sure how to train during the 3 weeks, how much rest vs how much running? How do I plan my long runs balancing the tapering with resting and keeping the running going.

I think I'll do Berlin 'properly', and take Yorkshire Marathon easy, although I suspect I will want to do well for Yorkshrie Marathon too if I can!

Anyone has any advice please?

• Options

Sticky, P&D (Pfitzinger and Douglas' Advanced Marathoning) have some good plans at the back for training in-between marathons which are close together. I think though, realistically, you prioritise one (the first usually) and enjoy the other.  

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Orbutt - well said! and much needed!

I'll give it a go.

Yesterday I ran a marathon in Antwerp and it had the recipe for disaster. Shocking organisation and not too much going for the course. But I ran a PB. A FRICKING PB. I've run every day for the past 2 weeks with the dog, was out at 6am yesterday morning to run 4 easy miles with him before leaving for the marathon and I still PB'ed.

Believe in yourself, believe in the possibility that you can do it.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emmy - a truly well deserved PB.

Did you set yourself a pace or just go with the flow?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Orbutt - I just went with the flow. The aim was to never feel like I was pushing it - but just relaxed pace. I tried to watch for my 'sinking shoulders' or other tiredness factors but I just took it relaxed and made sure that I felt OK.

I tried to not look at my watch and just run on feel and it worked. Even in the last few miles I was pushing through it. I'll post the minute splits when I get my garmin online.

Tip: Make sure that you have your fuelling right and know what works for you. If that's coke/gels/clif bloks - make sure that you know what works for you and when it does (e.g. every 30 mins, 45 mins etc).

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emmy - that's brilliant. I sometimes get a bit fixated with my watch. It's usefull at the start, to slow myself down, but I've been ignoring my watch a bit in training and only glancing occasionally.

Fuelling - never quite got that right but working on it image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Orbutt - how about running a few more marathons and playing around with the formulaimage You get to test it out as well as have some funny stories when it goes wrong (e.g. the jam sandwich incident at Genk).

I've struggled with fuelling before and since i've got it sorted - i've found being able to run 'properly' is a lot easier.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Get thee behind me, temptressimage

I'm going to experiment with something like a Clif bar, rather than just fluids. When I bonked in Paris I craved something solid. (Btw, apple base devices really struggle with the word bonked. It even changed it to bonaked - whatever that means)

• Options

Does everyone reckon the powerbar drinks that they give out will be the same as Lucozade? image 

I have always been tempted to buy the Lucozade sport jelly beans! But I have a box of SiS gels ill get through first! 

• Options
    The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Donkey, I bought some PowerBar Isoactive to try before the event.  It tastes nothing like Lucozade Sport.  Looking at the list of ingredients, I would say they're probably quite different.  Lucozade Sport seems to primarily contain glucose as it's energy where as PowerBar Isoactive contains glucose, fructose and maltodextrin.

• Options

Powerbar isoactive also has a much weaker flavour. Its a tiny bit sweet but much more palatable than lucozade

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Donkey - The sports jelly beans are nothing more than ordinary jelly beans at double the price image

IMHO - The powerbar drinks are a lot nicer than lucozade but nothing can beat some water or flat coke image

• Options

blimey, i've been grazing in my local, The Paris Thread, all year and haven't really posted here all that much.  Turns out, i am deep into a 21 week training plan for Berlin and just knocked out a 10 mile tempo at marathon pace this morning. Last week was an intensive training week with a weekend rest.  Push the reset button and its onwards and upwards. 3 more sessions planned this week. Niggling aches and pains managed for now.image

I know most of the peeps on here but there are a few names i don't recognise - will we be meeting you all at the Gate on the morning of the race?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Jimbob - about bloody time too.image

• Options

I posted early on but then I forgot ....

btw flat coke = yuchhhhh

• Options

I love a can of Irn Bru after a long run! haha I get the feeling ill need to take a can with me! 

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Glad to hear general form is going well...and those the  bench hope  you are off soon.

I have had three weeks out and have been lax  and slack  in my training  and husband/ running partner is injury ridden and now deferring.  As I have only managed 1x 20 miler (head not legs) ...and hence have not been looking at the forum ...denial of what I have signed up for and therefore  I will now have to decide over the next two weeks whether at worst if I can just make it round with the time I have left

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

EHN - you've done a 20 miler? Brilliant image

You've got weeks ahead to get some more in.

It could be that, as your husband is having to defer (I didn't know that was allowed), you may have lost a bit of impetus but there's no reason you can't regain it.

Does your husband have a bike? He could accompany you on your training runs and shout encouragement/abuse at you while you run. I do all of my training with Mrs O on her bike and quite often it's the thought of having her out there with me that keeps me going.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Does your husband have a bike? He could accompany you on your training runs and shout encouragement/abuse at you while you run. I do all of my training with Mrs O on her bike and quite often it's the thought of having her out there with me that keeps me going.

You have no idea how much of a legend Mrs. O is image

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Thanks Orbutt-that was just what I needed as my head and conscience are not running(plodding) in sync. Bike is the answer and time to bring out the Ipod(not when accompanied ofcourse image). Mrs O is certainly a legend.

The defferment policy....works along the lines of guarantteed entry for 30E in 2014 (not applicable to subscibers via Tour Operators/packages).

Ok....onward and upward image

• Options
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Jimbob - about bloody time too.image

+1

EHN - can I refer you back to post 930?!

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Thanks Iain image... Orbutt-great words!! Psalm/Post 930 I will refer back to many times I am sure(now printed and saved)   

• Options
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Ok - I think we need to get some mojo going.

I'll start. Today I did my 5th run in a week - to a total of 32km.

I did just under 10k today when, according to my plan, I should have done 32k. And it felt hard.

However, I'm running. In 7 weeks I'm going to be running around Berlin. 

Would we do it if it was easy? I doubt it.

We do it because we're a bit nuts. We do it because we want to challenge ourselves. We do it because we want to push ourselves to our limits and sometimes beyond.

And the only people who really understand why we do it are fellow runners - like you lot.

We know the hopes, fears, pains and joy of running.

So, ask yourself "why do I run?"

Think about your best run and how it felt. Remember the work you had to put in to achieve that. 

If your run is hard, it's not because you're rubbish it's because you are working hard.

If you feel slow, it's because you want to go faster.

if you find it hard to get out the door and get going - remember, all of this is getting you closer to the start line.

BERLIN  - go for it 

True words mate!

Got my Great North Run pack the other day and just realised that it is only 4 weeks away. Good warm-up for Berlin. Managed another 12 mile run last night taking off nearly 5 minutes from the same run on Sunday. Felt the Achillies a little bit in the last mile so iced as soon as got home.

Hope everyone has had a productive running week so far

• Options

Mind if I come in and panic about Berlin here as well as on the Paris thread? image

• Options

Panic ahead Marathon Maus, you'll be in good company

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

DW - good running. Sensible move with the icing too.

Maus - what are you worried about, you're a star. You've even snagged a personal trainer. Did Tricky manage to get a place in the race?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Maus - you'll be in Berlin too?! Super! We'll have so much fun!