Options

disqualified for wearing earphones

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    And yet you never see the winner wearing them !

they would if they knew how much faster they would be.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Shouldn't always assume they're listening to music. It might be Steven Fry reciting a book or a language course.

🙂

• Options

they are on loop going 'breathe in, breathe out ...'

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    2wheels-good wrote (see)

they are on loop going 'breathe in, breathe out ...'

Lets us hope the ipod doesn't run out of power.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    And yet you never see the winner wearing them !

or generally anyone near the front.

Wonder if there's anything in that?

• Options

I got my half-marathon PB with no Garmin and no headphones this month... I usually have music and a watch with every run.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    There I are very few headphone wearers at the sharp end of any races I have been in.

Maybe that means that headphones make you slower.
  • Options

I did find it amusing at a race this weekend........there was a very beefed up guy there who was a personal trainer.   he had a group of female and males from his personal fitness group doing the race.....they all had on coordinated tops and bottoms with his name on the kit ( different colours for men and women).......

he was all fake taned and chiseled looking..

he was giving them their final hyped up encouragement on focus etc..

and then he went to the front line of the starting line with the top 10 blokes.....and then managed to use his own focus by sticking earphones in his ear.......he ended up 54th....( infact only 4 mins infront of this old slow woman)

if he could not manage to finish somewhere near the front ( which is where he obviously positioned himself) and couldn't mange to motivate himself with music then i would not trust him much as my personal trainer

• Options

if she dearly wanted to do one.surely if she spent a few months running then she would get a sub 4 easily....why is she putting it off

• Options

fair enough.....image

• Options

I get her point but this sort of thing begs the question who does she want to do it for?

If she really wanted to do it, it wouldn't matter that much what other people thought about her finishing time.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

There's a local personal trainer who is always giving it loads about how much faster than all other PTs he's ever heard of.

I never quite understand it, as running is a very distinct sport. It's a lot different to building muscle which for some is the key.

Having said that i can see how people would be put off being trained by someone who they see as not even being fitter than themselves!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

There's a guy I know who's a life coach/running coach. Learn't his stuff solely from tapes. No personal experience at all, but people buy it.

Tried to get me as a client onceimage. "Er,   I,    don't,    think,   so.     

Takes a certain type of arrogance to be a 'life coach.' Its, "look at me, I'm perfect". I mean, if you 'are' perfect, then you're just showing off and should keep a low profile, if not, then you're a fraud.

Running coach I get.  That's experience and information. Ideas to save time and avoid mistakes. 

🙂

• Options

I have a friend who recently retrained as a "nutritionist" or something. Except she's about 4stone overweight. Physician heal thyself.

• Options

Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)
    stubor wrote (see)

Once again the snobbish arrogant view on people who wear headphones rears its ugly head.

That has to be the most ridiculous comment I have seen, if someone chooses to wear headphones (in the absence of a blanket ban) how can you assume they are snobbish or arrogant. You're simply pandering to the people on here you choose to impress, with no sound logic in your comment, you simply look stupid.

How the hell am I trying to impress peple. My comment is not related to the banning of headphones in races or poeple who ignore those rules. I have previously stated, if its in the rules I would abide and respect that and have no problem with it. I also don;t always use headphones myself. I am referring to people who look down on anyone who chooses to use headphones as them not being ''proper'' runners etc etc

Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

stubor wrote (see)

I like that one. Although 'I am a self absorbed, ignorant F**kwit' would be better. Quite hard to fit on the standard number size, though..

Once again the snobbish arrogant view on people who wear headphones rears its ugly head.

No pal - the RIGHT view. But if basically just being a good citizen and obeying the rules makes me a snob, well, so be it. If people can't race without headphones, they should try another sport they find less boring....

If you say so PAL, you condescending pr*ck. As Above, i am not talking about ignoring rules or anything but there have been comments, tongue in cheek or not, that look down on anyone who chooses to use headphones as not being proper or serious runners. I am entitled to my opinion, just like you are yours but don't be a c*nt about it.