Options

disqualified for wearing earphones

Comments

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Wilkie wrote (see)

My preferred method of dealing with earphone wearers (most especially on trains where you can hear the tss tss tss tss, or even the damn lyrics) would be to snip the cord to the earbuds.

I actually saw this happen once on a bus ... a man asked the woman next to him to turn down the music 0 she didn't, so he opened up his brief case, took out some scissors and cut the cable. The young lady went down the stairs and told the bus driver ... 5 minutes later the police arrived and took the gentleman away.

• Options

How can you visually identify open or closed earphones?

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Yep, you can always rely on the runners doing what they are told.
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Dr.Dan wrote (see)
    Wilkie wrote (see)

My preferred method of dealing with earphone wearers (most especially on trains where you can hear the tss tss tss tss, or even the damn lyrics) would be to snip the cord to the earbuds.

I actually saw this happen once on a bus ... a man asked the woman next to him to turn down the music 0 she didn't, so he opened up his brief case, took out some scissors and cut the cable. The young lady went down the stairs and told the bus driver ... 5 minutes later the police arrived and took the gentleman away.

It would almost be worth it!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

There was a thread on here somewhere a couple of weeks ago asking essentially if she could ignore the very clear instructions not to wear headphones, and  the OP actually said if i dont have music i literally stop and cannot run anymore!

What a crazy world it would be if those that fell into the category of 'average citizen' could pick and choose what rules were applicable to them.

• Options
    Wilkie wrote (see)
    Dr.Dan wrote (see)
    Wilkie wrote (see)

It would be interesting to see that go before a jury. The problem of people playing their ipods too loud in public places is getting so bad that I wonder if a jury would convict. Actually, my preferred solution would be to read the paper loudly in that person's ear...

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Peter Collins wrote (see)
    Actually, my preferred solution would be to read the paper loudly in that person's ear...

Stinking of piss also works well.

• Options

I'm not sure if they were banned at Round Rotherham, but it made it damn difficult to give a woman her credit card wrapped in £10 notes back. Despite shouting at her, I then had to up my pace to catch her again and grab her by the shoulder. Ruined my pacing...  Naturally, I would have pocketed the cash and thrown the card in the bushes but someone else probably saw me.

• Options

I would have said "hey missus you've dropped your credit card" ... if she can't hear you because of her mp3 player then tough shit.

• Options
    Wilkie wrote (see)
    Dr.Dan wrote (see)
    Wilkie wrote (see)

It would be interesting to see that go before a jury. The problem of people playing their ipods too loud in public places is getting so bad that I wonder if a jury would convict. Actually, my preferred solution would be to read the paper loudly in that person's ear...

It wouldn't, it would be classed as a public order offence. At worst, magistrate's court, costs and the price of a new pair of headphones.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Dachs wrote (see)
    Actually, my preferred solution would be to read the paper loudly in that person's ear...

Stinking of piss also works well.

I hear you set the standard on that one!

• Options
    Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

Well deserved too.

Then you won't mind a punch in the face if I have to listen to your tinny, annoying earphones playing your sad taste in music?

• Options
    Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

Banning headphones violates people's right of freedom of expression, IMO.

If they ban headphones they should also ban deaf people from running, but you can bet they don't.

Some people don't half write some twaddle! You can have as much freedom of expression as you like when you go running outside an organised event but if you enter an event you do what the rules say.

If you play footy/cricket in the park with your mates you can ignore whatever rules you like, if it's too complicated to apply off side/lbw you can ignore it but if you play in a proper match then the rules are enforced - is that restricting your freedom of expression? - 'You're infringing my rights ref/umpire, I'm am a conciencious objector to the off side/lbw rule therefore I will not abide by it'

For anyone who argues that they should be allowed to block off their ability to hear (safety) instructions from race officials, go and volunteer to marshal an event, you'll very quickly see why organisers don't like having runners who can't hear instructions!

As for questioning that deaf people could be banned - they don't choose not to be able to hear which is completely different to people with good hearing blocking it off and they will probably to be able to lip read which it's unlikely that earphone wearers can.

If you are so upset by organisers having rules then either don't enter organised events or only enter ones where you like the rules. Do you also object to rules that prevent you taking short cuts? It is an infringement of your human rights to be forced to wear a race number or to wait until the gun goes before you start or to start in the correct coloured pen?

By all means wear open earphones or only put one in but self applied deafness is just stupidity when yours and others safety is involved.

• Options

I think all the people against it are just old codgers who don't know how to work an Ipod!! And their wireless is just to big to carry around.

I use headphones all the time but undestand there is a safety issue on many races and if its in the rules, you should abide by them.

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    john2443 wrote (see)

By all means wear open earphones or only put one in but self applied deafness is just stupidity when yours and others safety is involved.

only if rules permit of course.

• Options

Hear, hear!!! (see what I did there....?!?!?!!??) PMSL!! image

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

John 2443 , well said.

• Options
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I think that John made a few good points about the deaf people, and from the organisers point of view it`s about limiting risk.

How many deaf people are there in a race?? less than 5%

How many people wear headphones?? 25% (approx, for arguments sake)

What would your rather your risk was 30% of people that cant hear or 5%

Why dont you just run a race that allows them?