Options

disqualified for wearing earphones

Comments

• Options
    TBH Tom the irate people in IPod threads seem to be the non wearers most of the time.image
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)
    skotty wrote (see)
    i get that and I don't mind obeying rules.

however if there is nothing in the rules and he decides just to announce it on race day then you're going to be a bit p!ssed off if you've turned up wearing your blue socks and a garmin.

if it is in the rules (written down, including local rules) then you can decide whether to enter or not if you don't like it.

Why do you assume he just told people on race day, that would be unreasonable,

because when I asked where in the rules it was I was told:

It wasn't a rumour the race director communicated to everyone before the event , and as stated previously it was ignored

• Options

Disqualifying average people for wearing IPod is harsh and is undemocratic. Average citizens should refuse to support the race in the future.

Fair if it is elite competitors competing for prize money and titles.

We live under a democracy, not a Communist dictatorship. Silly competition rules should not be universally applied to average citizens who pay a premium to run a fun run on roads our taxes have paid towards.

• Options
    RoadWarrior wrote (see)

Disqualifying average people for wearing IPod is harsh and is undemocratic. Average citizens should refuse to support the race in the future.

We live under a democracy, not a Communist dictatorship.

Piffle.

• Options

Who are these 'average' citizens ?

• Options
    Screamapillar wrote (see)
    RoadWarrior wrote (see)

We live under a democracy, not a Communist dictatorship.

Piffle.

Good use of the word 'piffle' there Scream, I've not heard it used for a while

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    "Average Citizens" how do you categorise that?
  • Options
    RoadWarrior wrote (see)

We live under a democracy, not a Communist dictatorship. Silly competition rules should not be universally applied to average citizens who pay a premium to run a fun run on roads our taxes have paid towards.

If that means iPod wearers boycotting races in future then yes please, go right ahead. I SAID, IF THAT MEANS IPOD WEARERS ... oh never mind.

• Options

Average citizens that have never heard of such silly rules and use headphones on their tread mill and weekend runs. Listening to music helps a lot of people to stay motivated during exercise whether it be cycling, walking, running or gym work out.

What if average citizen does not know? Can they get a refund back for unfair treatment?

• Options

Shout louder Muttley, Citizen Smith is based in Tooting.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    When you say average do you mean "illiterate" ?

As the iPod rules are written down in black and white on the entry forms.
  • Options

"Average citizens should refuse to support the race in the future". That's about the only thing you have said that's not piffle. If these average bods don't want to follow the rules then they don't have to enter the races. And that will certainly please us unaverage citizens as we wont have to listen to the average citizens moaning that they cant wear there electronic devices. 

• Options

When someone claims to speak on behalf of "average citizens" or "the vast majority of us" or "all right-thinking people" etc etc, what he really means is himself.

Is there an equivalent of Godwins Law for calling those who disagree communists rather than nazis?

• Options

I had my ipod on for the Great North Run on 2007, was jogging along nicely when suddenly got a shock from ambulance I hadn’t heard till the last minute, tripped over the central reservation, twisted my knee and DNF'd never worn one running outdoors since.

I do still wear it on the treadmill though!

For me if it's in the rules and you don't like it don't enter

• Options
    RoadWarrior wrote (see)

What if average citizen does not know? Can they get a refund back for unfair treatment?

I like my music and run with headphones at times, if I'm in a race where ehadphones are allowed I'm fine, if not and I get disqualified I cannot complain, if it is in the rules I should read the rules, it would not be unfair. 

I am finding it strange that I'm agreeing with a Nick Windsor post! But this is pretty much spot on.

What runners do in their own time at their own risk is up to them. If a race director says that headphones are banned, runners should deal with it.

Ultimately, Race Directors are liable for the safety of runners in their events and in the event of an accident they are responsible morally AND legally. In extreme cases this could warrant criminal proceedings I would assume.

If you decide to go running in the dark with no lights on, no hi-vis and listening to music its only yourself that is responsible and that is the difference between "Joe Average" and someone participating in an organised race.

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

most average citizens seem perfectly aware of the rule going by the number of them that post on here asking if it is ok just to ignore it.

personally I think if they are going to have the rule then they should enforce it.

• Options

the average citizen does not enter road races.

Power to the People.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    M..o.use wrote (see)

Regarding rules, isn't this now an EA regulation rather than at the discretion of race organisers?  (I've not participated in an earphone debate for ages and my mind is failing.)

Cake wrote (see)

Pardon? boom boom!! image

image Sorry needed to get that in before anyone else.

There is no ban of deaf people at races there is and always has been a ban on headphones under UKA rules as stated previously. It's even on the fine print if you enter a race through this site. If the organser's DK's some folks good, it needs to happen more often. image

There is NOT currently (nor has there been) a UKA rule banning head/earphones. I had this response from UKA when I queried it last year:

"More misleading information I’m afraid.  The rule has been proposed on a number of occasions in the past but has always been rejected – mainly on the grounds of the difficulty of enforcement and the different circumstances that can apply across the range of courses that are encountered."

Race Directors can choose to ban them, and I do wish those that do would actually enforce it.   There's no point otherwise.

• Options

Oh dear, I'm with mattywarr.  I find myself also agreeing with Nick and not just on this thread either!  I must *man up* image

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I love the "listening to music helps a lot of people to stay motivated" line. 
    However I do  find myself tumbling into agreement with Nick, Matty & Cinders...

UKA surprise me again (not), failing to implement the ipod rule under the guise of "difficulty of enforcement" yet see fit to introduce the "no number swapping" rule as at April 1st. I would think that also equally difficult to enforce.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Nick - I also agree with you!

Off topic, but did you see that marvellous proposal of making running a punishment for kids that misbehave in school.  Bonkers.