Options

Effect of weight loss on times

13»

Comments

• Options

I would be sticking to 1500 to 2000 calories per day and see how that will reduce my weight. Walking and cycling instead of running will help with weight loss. Gradually add back the running when your weight falls below 16 stone. 

Sub 5 hour marathon, a 2:02 HM, 54 minute 10km and 25 minutes for 5km  are great times for an 18 stone runner. You have some ability and losing 3+ pounds will help with your distance times.

• Options

I went from 17 st to 12 in the space of 6 months. All I did was eat less and move more.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Where's Colon got to?

🙂

• Options

Fantasising 

/members/images/775937/Gallery/Nigel-Farage-011.jpg

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Not wanting to pour petrol on to a fire, but I wonder sort of reaction we would get if we put 'the tool above' + McJokelin + Kayne West, in a room together?

🙂

• Options
    Just as an update to this I did the Bolsover 10k yesterday at a weight of 17 st 1 lb and did it in 52:10 which is a 1:40 pb. I agree with others that it's hard to distinguish effects of weight loss, however my training for this has been very similar to my training last autumn for my previous 10k pb. I suppose I have felt recovery between sessions has improved this time though so it is hard to say the training effects aren't significant. Anyway, that's my unscientific update on this. My 5k time has dropped from 25:20 ish to 24:45 and I'm hoping to do a couple of HMs and a couple of 10ks in the spring. All being well I can drop another stone by Feb and see what happens to those times. Thanks for all the feedback. Incidentally, I do like pies, however the name is primarily due to my football allegiance to Notts County (aka The Magpies....or 'Pies). These things are sent to test us.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Peter Mayer (6ft 1" tall) got running again (hadn't run for years) once he hit 18:5 stone.

Two and a half years later weighing 10:12 he ran the Toronto Marathon in 2:12.

Anything is possible.

🙂

• Options
    A further update on this in case anyone comes across the thread looking for useful data. I have gradually lost a bit of weight over the last couple of month's and I'm now 16st exactly. My 5k time from a couple of weeks ago is 23:20 and HM from the weekend was 1:55:01. I have not increased my training at all although I have been consistent. I've also been a bit more strict with myself to do one quality session a week (usually intervals) whereas before that was probably averaging once every other week. So there probably are some gains from training but the bulk is definitely from weight loss. Interesting that for 5k it's close to that 2 seconds a mile per pound calculation...
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Pie Runner - that's great progress, on your weight and your new significant PB's.   You've found what works for you so stick with it.  :)
  • Options
    PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭
    thats great, i'm around 10 stone and it really makes a difference and recovery is quick, even running twice a day no problems.

• Options
    FayaFaya ✭✭✭
    Nice one, Pie Runner! I'm looking at losing weight to try to shave some time off of my average mile times. I know I'm overweight, so I'm starting to cut back on the rubbish food and checking my portion sizes. 

• Options
    Chris2304Chris2304 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on getting below 2hrs on the half, and below 25mins on the 5k - some big milestones there! Glad to hear the training is working for you
  • Options
    PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭
    i just ran a very wet 20 mile run with a bloke who i know runs distance, i felt ok, although time here wasn't important, but stamina - able to keep going mile after mile without feeling crap.
    Running these distances often the body will settle into a certain build, as im getting used to it more.
  • Options
    > @"Pie Runner" said:
    > I've been running for a few years with a marathon pb of 4.50, HM 2.02, 10k 54:00 and 5k 25.30. I'm pretty steady at 25 ish miles a week unless in marathon training. I am however very overweight and these times have been run at about 18 stone. I am currently 17 st 6 lb (hopefully on a long road to a more sensible weight) and to be honest already feel a bit swifter in training runs. I just wondered if anyone had experience of losing excess weight and what happened to their times? I don't plan to change much in training, other than being consistent. Any help would be much appreciated

I would put excessive weight up there with smoking as contributor to slower running times. My best running times came when I was moderate smoker, 73 minute HM for example, but my weight was 10 st 7 Lb. I gave up smoking for good about 12 years ago now and slowly watch my weight go up and my times rapidly slow. At my worst I was chasing 13 Stone, these days I am a little under 12 st 7Lb. I know for a fact that my times would get much better if I could get back to about 11St 6 Lb.

I would never go back to my boxing weight of 10 7 Lb though, or would want too. Excessive weight and worse, bad eating is up there with the smoking, alcohol in my opinion.