Options

Five Year Plan - help please

Comments

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

image Sheepishly returns to the forums...

Well, it's been a while, and it hasn't been good. In spite of my optimism that I was going to get back on track with my running, things didn't turn out so well. I plugged away on a few runs per week through July 2014, but they soon became more intermittent and the mileage decreased. By the end of August I had ceased running, albeit with the intention of it being a temporary hiatus.

I started a return in September, but badly twisted my ankle and was unable to restart again until October. Then a month after that I suffered a lot of mainly work-related stress and things really started to get on top of me. My sleeping was terrible which left me feeling wiped-out most of the time. I had to take medication to help me sleep, and I found I was becoming increasingly reliant on the meds to be able to function. This went on in varying degrees through to April this year, and during this time I did no exercise at all. My weight ballooned by the best part of three stones! Added to which I was suffering chest pains which made me very reticent about taking up exercise again, all of which added to the feelings of depression.

In April I saw a cardiologist for an ECG and blood tests. The chest pains were likely caused by gastric problems (reflux), so I wasn't overly concerned. The results were not totally conclusive, though I'm at relatively low risk of heart problems. A “delay” in part of my heart rate reading is apparently a marker of someone who is fit, so likely due to my fitness history rather than any cause for concern. My blood tests showed my cholesterol was 6 overall, HDL was 1.22 and LDL was too high at 3.9! This could mean that I will be put on cholesterol lowering meds image I have to have further tests (CT scan) to tick all the boxes, but the consultant confirmed it was safe for me to restart exercising. A good thing really, because I was very ashamed of what I had allowed to happen to me.

The good thing at the end of all this was that I was gagging to get up and running again. So I went for my first run the following weekend. Just three miles at an average 10:05 pace, and it felt like the final three miles of a marathon! It actually wiped me out for some time afterwards – which was a real shock to the system. Nonetheless I felt very happy to have finally made a start. So much so, that I immediately was able to stop taking the sleeping tablets and have not had to take one since! My natural sleep has improved immensely and I'm coping with stresses much better. Not perfect, but still so much better. It's almost as if running helps combat stress - image who'd have thought?

My heart rate monitor was giving silly readings, so I couldn't use that to train sensibly. I ran to feel and erred on the side of caution, running every other day to ensure adequate recovery. Nonetheless, I suffered knee pain after a couple of weeks of training and had no choice but to take a week off. It took another couple of weeks of careful running and walking, with stretching and use of the ITB roller, until the knee pain eventually disappeared.

I'm running alternate days before breakfast. On midweek “rest” days I go for a fairly brisk walk during my lunch break from work. In an hour this tends to be around 3 to 3.5 miles. I have one complete day of rest in a week. I'm managing my mileage progression very carefully, so I don't antagonise my knee.

It has been five weeks since I started my comeback program. Most runs have been three miles, with some of four miles and my first five mile run this morning. My weekly mileage is steadily increasing by around ten percent each week. This week I ran 15m over fo

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

(...continued)

It has been five weeks since I started my comeback program. Most runs have been three miles, with some of four miles and my first five mile run this morning. My weekly mileage is steadily increasing by around ten percent each week. This week I ran 15m over four runs (4m, 3m, 3m, 5m). All runs have been steady pace, and most likely above recovery pace – which is why I don't run two days in a row.

Since starting, I've lost seven pounds in weight. I'm hoping that I might improve my cholesterol profile in time to avoid having to take medication. In any case, my outlook is becoming more positive by the day. I've been debating whether to take up my deferred place in next year's Brighton marathon (and I'm in the London ballot – though there's fat chance of getting in again there!). I might instead switch to an Autumn marathon in 2016 to give myself enough time to comeback gracefully.

For the time being my priority is to continue to lose weight and increase mileage. Just slow, gradual progress. My five year plan might just take a little longer than five years – bear with me. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

• Options

It's still a five year plan though perhaps not the same five years you originally had in mind! Good luck, at least you are back on the straight and narrow.

• Options
    Ten you are BACK!!!

I'd wait & see on Brighton - maybe by then you'll be ready for a long run for fun rather than putting pressure on yourself to race & achieve.
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Fair point, Peter, and thanks! image

Reikki - glad to see you're still around. The only reason I'm considering booking is because I know that when next April rolls around I'll wish I had booked something. I've also been hovering over booking the Silverstone Half Marathon. If nothing else, at least now I am regaining some enthusiasm - which has been absent for the best part of a year.

• Options
    Ten I misunderstood. I thought you already had a place and so what I meant was that you may well fancy it by then.

Silverstone or another half definitely.

What about Brighton?
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

LOL - stop tempting me! image  I'm resisting at the moment...

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Tenjiso wrote (see)

My heart rate monitor was giving silly readings, so I couldn't use that to train sensibly. 

I wore the HRM numerous times and had ridiculous readings every time. I'm talking up to 100bpm above a realistic reading!!! image  I tried a number of tips from the Garmin forums and nothing improved the situation. 

Apparently the Garmin soft strap is a bag of shite and is well known for going wrong. When I thought about it, it was never that reliable and needed several miles of running to "settle down" before producing anything like realistic readings. I knew that clothing and external factors (i.e. static) were definitely not the cause of my problems.

Then I came across the most brilliant tip...

I purchased a Polar soft strap! (£11)  

The Garmin HRM transmitter fits the Polar chest strap perfectly. There was no need to re-pair the device or anything, since it was still the same device - just a different strap.

The results have been startling! Rock-solid heart rate readings throughout my runs with absolutely no spikes, dropouts or dubious readings of any kind! image I have used it on four runs already and am so happy that I can now rely on the device 100%.

Up to now I've been training every other day, because I knew that none of my runs were likely to be true recovery runs. Now, however, I can ensure that I run at recovery rate and can therefore run on consecutive days without over-training. image 

This week I've run 20 miles in four runs. My longest run was 6m this morning. They have all been seriously slow image - but well controlled - and I have felt great after all of them. I will continue with four runs per week now that I can ensure that one is a genuine recovery run. If I'm feeling good, I'll introduce some strides to get the legs moving faster.

It has been seven weeks since I started my comeback, and I've lost nine pounds in weight. Still a lot to do, but I'm on the right track.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hurrah! Welcome back, Tenjiso. image

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks Lit image 

21 more miles in the bank this week. 7m run this morning in my LR heart rate range (P&D). Earlier in the week I ran 5m with six sets of strides - which I really enjoyed. I bought the new Pfitzinger book "Advanced Road Racing" and found that my plan was very close to his up to 30m base building plan, so I have adapted my plan slightly. The key difference being that I will be introducing some lactate-threshold training in another couple of weeks if all goes well.

I'm still very slow, but the HRM has been fantastic since I got the new strap. I can't praise the Polar strap + Garmin transmitter combination highly enough!

I still haven't booked any races, but my rough plan is to run a half-marathon in December, then after a short recovery I'll commence training for a spring marathon. Then I think I will also go for my first Autumn marathon.

This week I have an appointment for a CT scan of my heart, following health problems I had earlier in the year (mentioned in a previous post above). Hopefully my plans won't be thrown into turmoil.

• Options
    Are you saying that I could make my Garmin 305 more accurate?!?

Hope the medical stuff is reassuring Ten.
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Hi Reiki. If you are using the Garmin premium soft strap, then yes! It's the one with the clip on transmitter with two press stud fasteners. The readings I get have been great throughout every single run - and I never had that accuracy with the Garmin strap.

I had my CT scan this afternoon. I'm still a bit groggy from the beta blockers and some other stuff they gave me before and during the scan. I won't know the results for at least a week. I've got a follow-up appointment with the Cardiologist next month.

• Options
    Right, hope it all comes out promising so you can get conquering.

I don't think my transmitter is clip on, it seems to be built into the hard part of the belt [which is approx half the entire thing]...
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Sounds like you've got the older style of chest strap. I believe that was more reliable than the replacement soft strap.

• Options
    It is actually not bad once it settles down, goes off like a siren over the 1st mile though!
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

It has been exactly three months since I restarted running, so here's a quick review of improvements achieved so far:

• Weight: reduced from 196lb to 178lb, which puts me back into the “healthy” BMI range image
    • Body fat: reduced from 28.8% to 23.6% (measured on the same scales for consistency)
    • Waist circumference reduced by four inches.

These measurements put me roughly half-way to where I want to get to, hopefully by the end of the year – though it may take longer.

My weekly mileage has steadily increased and now stands at 28 miles. I'm training by heart rate for all of my runs at the moment and can see a steady improvement in my pace. I do five runs each week including a midweek speed session (e.g. 6m including twenty minutes at lactate-threshold), and my “long” run is now nine miles.

I'm planning to maintain 30-35 miles per week for the next couple of months. I've booked a half-marathon in early December and will begin specific training for that in September. I've also got my eye on a spring marathon next year - I can begin training for that two or three weeks after the half-marathon.

The result of my CT scan was “no significant” heart problems. Which, when I probed a bit deeper meant almost no sign of any heart problems at all, and nothing that would warrant any form of treatment. My higher cholesterol reading means that I will be recommended for a course of Statins, but I may request a further blood test since my lifestyle is completely different from when I had the test performed a few months ago.

I have a new colleague at work and we are working well as a team. I've also just completed the last of my additional work that I was doing on top of daytime work and have a very happy client. I've been struggling to keep up with my OU degree, but have good marks from my assessments so far. My next priority is to catch up on my study backlog and submit the final assessment before exam revision commences.

It has been a while since I have been able to say this...

I'm happy with the way things are progressing right now! image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hurrah! That all sounds brilliant. What half marathon are you doing?

• Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭

I just came across your thread and so glad I did especially with ref to Polar HRM strap I also have a garmin 310XT and the strap is a pain in the bottom takes at least 2 miles to become accurate and the strap leave welts on my torso.

I think we are also at a similar place me coming back after 9 years injured and already run a half.

Best of luck it sounds like you have been through a rough patch.

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Tenjiso- it is interesting to read about your success about getting the marathon PB down fron about 4.5 hours it's current level- I am stuck at about 20-30 MPW, and marathon times of about 4:20 or so.

I will try to gradually increase weekly mileage to closer to the 40-50, then I would hope the pace would improve automatically.

HRM- I have a mio go - it's a wrist- based one which apirs up with my GArmin, or with any spmart phone. Much better than a chest strap.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Lit - I've booked the Bedford Harriers half marathon on December 6th. 

Welshpoppy - I've been using the Polar strap / Garmin transmitter combo for seven weeks now, and it has been rock solid. 

Tricialitt - if you haven't already read it, I highly recommend "Advanced Marathoning" by Pfitzinger and Douglas. You are at the right level of training to be able to follow the same plan. More recently I've also bought Pfitzinger's new book "Faster Road Racing" which covers 5K to Half Marathon distances and has some good base-building plans.

• Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭

Tenjiso: That is great to hear will get the polar strap.I am also getting the  new Pfitzingers book I have the marathon one it is very good but not planning on another marathon anytime soon but I am trying to conquer the half marathon with a 5 year plan.

Good luck with the Bedford half.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Tenjiso- I have the book, but I can't stick to their plans- am going to try a modified version- where I do kms instead of miles for the midweek runs, but do the full distance for the week ends, as they get criticised for being too short anyway.

If I survive that, then I will try moving up to the full plan one day.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

WP - good luck with the strap, hope it works as well for you as it has for me. The new Pfitz book is written in a similar vein to "Advanced Marathoning", which makes it much easier to follow than the earlier "road racing for serious runners".

Tricia - it is very tough getting in the longer midweek runs, especially through the dark winter months. It's good discipline though, which helps when the going gets tough on race day image

I've just waved goodbye to the wife and kids as they fly out to China this afternoon image. I have to wait a month before I can join them. Time to stock up the freezer with ready meals, lest I become emaciated image

• Options

How is training?

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Hi Welshpoppy.

I've been a bit under-the-weather this week (probably a virus) and had to skip my planned midweek LT run. Nonetheless I still covered 24 miles in four runs, and ran 10m this morning slightly faster than last week at the same average heart rate. 

Two months ago I ran 6m at 11:23 pace with an average H/R of 147bpm. Today was 10m at 10:25 pace with 145bpm average H/R. All my other runs show similar improvements - at least one minute per mile faster across the board. I've been very strict with controlling my effort by heart rate, which makes for good comparisons.

So I'm happy with progress so far. I'd like to see another minute knocked off the times, but slowly slowly catchy monkey.

I weighed 14st (196lb) back in April, and today weighed-in at 12st 7lb (175lb). Which is a bonus image

• Options

Well done on the progress Tenjiso- 1.5 stone weight loss, and a definite improvement in pace/ HR is good going,

How's the "home alone"diet going?

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    tricialitt wrote (see)

How's the "home alone"diet going?

Well, I suppose it's a bit like living on hospital food image 

I'm desperately trying to complete an assessment which is due before I go on holiday, so the ready meals have been a great time-saver. They are better than they used to be a decade or so ago - thank goodness. I won't be sorry to get back to proper food when my assessment is complete! 

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

At the start of the week I had a bit of a blow-out. Super-size pizza (to myself), chocolate (I'm not even that keen on chocolate), cakes (I'm not even that keen on cakes either!) and a couple of beers (don't ask! image). I skipped a planned (recovery) run, and replaced an LT session with a straightforward GA (Aerobic) run. I think the pressure of study and having to get an assessment finished got to me and I had to vent some steam. I've put on two pounds in weight. So you'd think that my overall running and fitness must have suffered. Quite the contrary – this week was a breakthrough week! image

My 6m GA on Wednesday was average for my current fitness level. I skipped the following day's recovery then ran another 6m GA on Friday. My pace had improved by 23 seconds per mile (at the same level of effort – using strict heart rate monitoring). Nice – but maybe a fluke.

My 4m recovery run on Saturday was 15 seconds faster per mile. Finally, I ran 11m MLR (medium-long run) this morning 19 seconds per mile faster than I ran 10m last week! image

A similar thing happened about a month ago, and I find this happens periodically during sustained training campaigns. It's as if a switch is suddenly flicked. Or perhaps I'm a character in the Matrix version of an online RPG game and have just “levelled-up” after spending a month building up my experience points. Whatever the reason, I wish I could bottle it!