Options

manchester marathon 2015

Comments

• Options

Well that's my London reject mag in! Glad I'm doing Manchester anyway! 

• Options

Exactly JCG, my brother is doing Royal Parks, I've got Arley the following week then wind down until December and off we go again

My plan is loosely based around P&D but on 4 days per week and amended in places based on other plans I've used in the past 2 years

Snafflepants looks like a very sensible approach if you ask me, my HM usually comes in around 1:50 and I've done my 2 marathons in just under 4:15 each time, so based on your times I reckon 3:45, certainly sub-4 is achievable.

I'd love a sub-4 this time, putting a few more 20 milers into the plan this time and then having "stick with the pacer" tattooed onto my head before the race

• Options

Hi snaffle,  a 1:40 half is the equivalent to a 3:30 marathon.  So you have the pace for the marathon just make sure that you build your endurance.  Which means running your long runs at no quicker than 9:05mm.  but up to 10:30mm.

here is the link I used to calculate your pace:  http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/manchester-marathon-2015/277378-13.html

• Options

Thanks for the comments guys - I'm trying to put any plan out of my mind until the end of October and will be so happy if I can get some 10-12 milers in and feel ok! I never realised how much I take running for granted and how much I craved it when I had my boot on...mad to think its only been part of my life for the last 18 months.

i am worried that this winter I won't really have a running buddy for the 15+ runs as no one I know (as of yet) is doing a Spring marathon unlike this summer when one of friends was training for York.

thinking about including a sneaky half in early March, but we'll see.

I'm hoping this thread will keep me motivated! Just back in from 4 miles of intervals - absolutely knackered, but by far the fastest I've run so far so all good.

• Options

Thanks Pete that's really helpful. Just got to keep this pesky foot in check!

• Options

london reject mag came through today, will enter manc again. cant wait already.

5mile easy at lunch today then 3 miles at mara pace home.  hills tomorrow image

• Options

Hi magic, where do you do your hills?

I have been going to cheetham hill road in the city to do mine or even in the gym.

Hi snaffle plenty of time to get your foot right and ready for spring marathon training.  I aim to start on boxing day.  I  did the same last year - 3 miles felt like running 30 image. felt like a proper hero when I returned home to the family. image

• Options

its a hill near work in Alty. about 450m long and around 40m of vertical difference. Perfect for 2min sprints.  They are horrifically tough at the time but the glow afterwards is amazing

• Options

Snafflepants if you want a checky half there is liverpool half if any good.

image I've not had a reject mag yet you never know might be in for nodnol?

• Options
    AnimalMagic wrote (see)

its a hill near work in Alty. about 450m long and around 40m of vertical difference. Perfect for 2min sprints.  They are horrifically tough at the time but the glow afterwards is amazing

We're not talking Dunham Road are we?

Must admit, I don't have much hill work in my runs only the odd crossing of the canal or railway and a slight climb from Altrincham upto Hale and then back down into Timperley

• Options

Its not Dunham road itself, i run that most days as i work on the A56.  Its Gorsey Lane which runs from Oldfield Road roundabout up to Dunham Road.  Its the road which has really posh houses all the way up it.

/members/images/759960/Gallery/GorseyHill.JPG

Here is the profile from Fetch

/members/images/759960/Gallery/Profile.JPG

So 28m height over 420m.  About a 6.5% gradient.  After 6 of them I'm done.  There is another "hill" with the same start point which heads off to the left and that gradient is only about 3% so quite often i alternate between the two.

John

• Options

Got my "fuck off" magazine from london marathon last night.

entered manchester again this morning.

Hoping to improve on 3:53. I think under 3:45 will be the main goal, but depending on how training goes that might stretch to 3:40, 3:35, or, heaven forbid, 3:30, if I can bash out some amazing, injury-free training between now and then.

Good luck to all training for manchester. I hope to see you on the start line.

• Options

I too had my mag yesterday saying the same thing as AgentGingers !

Cake - you will get yours in due course image

I've just got back from doing a hill session; 5 x 400m with a gradient of 6.1%. I notice that some people do these as 'sprints' whereas I just plodded easily up them. Is it best to do these as sprints ?

• Options

Carter - I think the shorter the faster is the key.  I try to do mine at 5k pace for 2 minutes.  My HR pretty much maxes out on the last couple of sprints.  Ive always done them as sprints as i believe they are best for conditioning, strength and running form.  I could be completely wrong though but they seem to do the trick for me image

• Options

"Fuck off magazine"  image  Sorry to hear that you lot have been chubbed though. image

• Options

cheers magic, its roughly the same distance from home to cheetham hill road so no big difference.  cheers pal. 

Not sure hat the gradient of Red Bank road is though (which is the actual  road I run on)!!  image

• Options
    carterusm wrote (see)

I too had my mag yesterday saying the same thing as AgentGingers !

Cake - you will get yours in due course image

I've just got back from doing a hill session; 5 x 400m with a gradient of 6.1%. I notice that some people do these as 'sprints' whereas I just plodded easily up them. Is it best to do these as sprints ?

Hi Carter, 

there are three types of hill sessions:

sprints for fast twitch muscle fibres sprint reps of 30s

intermediate muscle fibres reps of 90s at 5k effort being carful to have effort left in the tank after each rep.

and slow twitch muscle fibres which is find a long steep hill and run up it at an easy effort. 3 miles is usual.  (I do this in the gym)

• Options

Carter hope so Can't really cope with the tropical weather down there.

• Options
    I got my London rejection mag today, I was quite pleased, after just entering manchester, not sure 2 marathons in one month is a great idea for me. The reject top was nice though, much better than the 2 jackets. Just ordered the p and d marathon book, to hopefully upgrade my training this time around.
  • Options

I never applied for the London Marathon 2015, I had always wanted Manchester to be my first Marathon, so I entered it back in May haha.

Will they send our numbers out soon do you think?  (only kidding image)

• Options

Right... I'm nearly in....

• Options
    Pete Holt wrote (see)

"Fuck off magazine"  image  Sorry to hear that you lot have been chubbed though. image

A "chubbing" might not mean a lot to non-United fans Pete image

Runtoeat - I found the P&D book really helpful last year, not just for the training plans but the other sections. The 55 plan just proved a bit too much in the end but it was easy to tweak the schedule down from 5 days to 4 without losing too much

• Options

Haha not heard chubbing for a while.  How did that even come about?  I know about chub club for people who cant get tickets but have no idea where it came from.  Over warrington/Liverpool way i think they use the word Chub or chubbing for something entirely different image

• Options

Arthur Chubb used to be the Ticket Office manager at Old Trafford and if you were unsuccessful in an away game ballot or indeed ticket ballot for any big game, his name used to be on the rejection letter/e-mail

It's Sam Kelleher now but the "Chubbing" remains

• Options

image had my "Fuck off magazine" Manc here I come. image

• Options

"fuck off magazine" kills me every time.  image

Small things and all that.....

sorry

• Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

i've also recieved my fuck off mag (screw you jogging iron man!), so signed up to this earlier in the week, i had 2014 off marathon running thanks to some ill timed weddings, so looking forward to cranking back up for a decent time

• Options

Chubbing definitely means something very rude where I'm from and it has nothing to do with football tickets.

• Options

"fuck off" mag for me too.

Can I come and play in Manchester with you kids?

• Options

Everyone I know now has their smug 'fuck off magazine' so I've been selling Manchester to anyone who will listen!

Tail ran (mainly walked) at parkrun this morning, so just back from a steady 4.5 miler, before heading out on my first LSR since my airboot came off tomorrow aiming for 7-8 miles and a good chat with running club!