Options

manchester marathon 2015

Comments

• Options
    I'm impressed by all the dark runs already. My high vis is still stashed away - I'm clearly not trying hard enough image

I've entered this one now, will be my third marathon and I'm hoping for sub 4!
  • Options

Did a nice 6m around pitch black country lanes this evening complete with headtorch and hi-vis vest. Managed to spook myself completely when I looked into the woods either side of the lanes and saw lots of little glinting eyes looking back at me, no idea what they were but didn't hang around to find out! You can tell Autumn is on the way as I could almost feel the heat from the day leaving the lanes and the cold air taking hold. 

• Options

I'm still doing the majority of my running at lunch so lucky to still have the nice weather we have all been enjoying.  Its getting fairly cold in the mornings now though, almost time for base layers again!  I love that time of year and may switch to morning running again soon although i quite enjoy the routine i'm in at the moment.

• Options

Really cold yesterday morning when I went to work. At lunchtime I went out for a run and put on a base layer due to how cold it was in the morning. It was really nice yesterday lunchtime so I was red hot.

• Options

Hey Just Coop Going - nice to see a fellow Coops on the thread! Snap - also will be my third marathon and hoping to get sub-4. Also RRR so we have our own sub-4 gang to rival the 3.30 gang image (I fear it may be some years before I'm ready to join that team!

Life has most definitely got in the way recently and I haven't managed to get out for a run since last Wednesday. Put our house on the market last Monday and also found out we've finally reached the top of the (very very) long waiting list and been allocated an annual lease for a Beach Hut down by Sandbanks so the last fortnight has been mentally buys with prepping the house for sale (it's amazing what you realise you've been living with when you look at your property through strangers' eyes) and fitting out the beach hut etc. I will make it out tonight for a six miler even if it means I'm plodding the streets of Poole at midnight image.

Have decided to take the previous advice of adding extra 20 milers to my schedule this time round. At this year's Manchester Marathon I kept perfect 9.09 minute miles to bring me home on 4 hours right through to mile 18 when my legs started fading and ended coming home at 4hr 10 so I think for me, pacing isn't the issue so much as endurance. I definitely walked less and had more in the tank for the last few miles this time round compared to my first marathon the previous year and I put that down entirely to a much tougher training schedule. I did 3 x 20 milers plus 1 x 19 miler and 1 x 17 miler as my five peak long runs for this year, so I'm thinking for the new schedule, build up the miles earlier and switch the 19 & 17 milers to 20s if possible. Need to find a spare ten mins to sit down with my calender and last year's training schedule and plan it all out. I can't do the whole 'make up the schedule as you go along with just key long runs scheduled' as I need to have a spreadsheet stuck to my fridge with a red pen ready to tick them all off! What can I say, I'm a planner image

Still running in my shorts at the mo - holding on in there!

• Options

Hi Kirsty Coops! Glad there are a few out there with the same target. I agree on the extra 20 milers - this year I ran 4 and felt much better than the year before. This years race was a hilly trail marathon so I was all about the endurance (I finished in 5:11 and am more proud of that than my previous 4:15 at Brighton). I'm looking forward to testing my legs on the flat again!

• Options
    Kirsty Cooper wrote (see)

4. Also RRR so we have our own sub-4 gang to rival the 3.30 gang image (I fear it may be some years before I'm ready to join that team!

I'm with you Kirsty sounds like we're in the same vein, I've more of a pacing problem in that I went off running around 8:30 miles having lost the pacer around mile 2 and I could tell I'd gone too fast by around the 13 mile mark. The additional 20 milers (3 as opposed to 1) gave me the stamina to pull some time back over the last mile or so

I've gone back through last year's plan and based this year's "rough draft" (now that's worrying, we're not even at Halloween yet) on the 4 days per week that I did after P&D became a bit too much and I started to have a few hip/groin issues. There are indeed a couple of 18 milers and a 17 that could be converted to do 5 x 20 milers and still have them spaced apart

I intend to have a month or so of running a lowish mileage for me between running the Arley HM in October and starting to build up for Manchester from mid-December which should give me an 18 week build up.

I'll do Wilmslow HM as usual in March and perhaps another HM along the way

With you on the spreadsheet and planner, I do something similar most weeks of the year, very rarely have a week of ad-hoc running

A 13 miler last night in 1:55, slightly faster than previous years training runs so perhaps that sub 1:50 HM is a possibility

• Options

Carter glad it's not just me who throught it's a bit nippy out there at the moment. image

• Options

There needs to be frost on the ground before I break out the base layers and running tights! 

• Options

It's grim up north isn't it Cake ? I took the mutts out for a walk this morning and it was so cold I almost needed gloves. A big change in temperature from first thing in the morning to the afternoon to last thing at night I'm finding.

Iansi - you are one tough bloke !!

• Options

shhhhh just don't tell sarah I can't wind her up about being a cockney if she know's I'm getting chilly.

Ian we've had a touch of frost last couple of day's this side of the hill's just been gone quick as soon as the sun's come up

• Options

I've just signed up for Manchester 2015, it'll be my first marathon image ...  I have been training hard this year and have recently done the Severn Bridge HM (1:52) and the Cardiff 10k (47 mins) - I'm also running the Cardiff HM a week Sunday.  I'm hoping that my entry for this first marathon will give me the incentive to keep training hard through the winter ...

• Options

Congrats Ric, and welcome!  Manchester 2014 was my first (and only) marathon and i loved it.  Very hard work and the training was tough at times but it was extremely rewarding after i had finished it.

Tough lactate threshold run for me at lunch today, 20 min with 5 jog recovery, 15 mins 4 rec then 10 mins.  covered 10.2k in the 45 min intervals and around 13 in total.  That's going to hurt tomorrow!

• Options

Tough walk to the park for me at lunch today..  nice work AM image 

• Options

Ricsure if you see someone at cardiff who is wearing kit with like the yellow and black cross you can see on my profile or what Just coop going is wearing in the photo will be me if it's a bloke unless some other pirate is doing it and not said. If you want say hello or just throw jaffa cakes at me. image

Don't panic marathon's are fun, sometimes painful but fun all the same.

• Options
    RicSure wrote (see)

I've just signed up for Manchester 2015, it'll be my first marathon image ...  I have been training hard this year and have recently done the Severn Bridge HM (1:52) and the Cardiff 10k (47 mins) - I'm also running the Cardiff HM a week Sunday.  I'm hoping that my entry for this first marathon will give me the incentive to keep training hard through the winter ...

Agree with Cake, marathons are hard work, can be painful, certainly draining but the euphoria of crossing the line or indeed plodding round the course with complete strangers cheering you and then getting a dinner plate of a medal hung round your neck and knowing you're one of a small band to have achieved this feat is something else.

It's not necessarily about times, just getting round the course and if you can take in a fraction of your surroundings while doing so, then all the more worthwhile

I've had a couple of acquaintances who've just done their first half in the last few weeks and have got the bug and are looking at doing their first 26.2

The other thing is that there are large numbers of really helpful people on this forum who contribute all the way through be it training tips, pick me ups following a bad run, injury suggestions and the logistics of race day itself

• Options

Thanks all for the replies and the encouragement - I will be at Cardiff armed with jaffa cakes then, lol!

• Options

Mmmmmm jaffa cakes Ricsure distance running’s an adventure lots of different level’s and lots of high’s and sometimes low’s to it. Sites like this keep you sane, plus you get to meet lots of crazy kids. image

• Options

Lol Cake - I think the 'crazy kids' bit is half the fun, seriously though, I've met so many great people and made loads of new friends through Parkrun and running club etc - I wouldn't change a thing, just wish I'd done it years ago!

• Options

Who's also in the London ballot? The rejection mags should be falling through the letterbox in the next week or so. Bet this is the year after five consecutive knock backs I'll get in when I don't want a place!! 

• Options

I'm in the ballot soon as get the knock back will enter this one. Not expecting to be london just a bit of a lucky dip each year.

• Options

I'm in the London ballot as well - I'm told October 13th is the date (I know this because I've moved and forgotten to tell them -again- and am allowed to call them up on that date to find out). Also looking forward to my 5th rejection image  

I do appreciate how Manchester will defer our place for free, should a ballot miracle occur. A nice touch.  

• Options

I didnt realise Manchester would defer for free, i thought it was £10 last year but maybe that was closer to the race date.  I am also in the London ballot (who isnt!) but will be entering Manchester when i get knocked back.

Robin - I emailed Arley hall yesterday and got a reply today saying that no signed contract has yet been received (back from MyTriathlon) and the deadline for that was the 19th September.  So its not looking good for it to be on.  I will contact them again next week and see if there is any change to the situation and let you know.

John

• Options

Even if I get a place in London I'm still doing Manchester and will defer the London place. Manchester paid for and hotel booked as didn't/ don't expect a place in London. Surprised it's as late as 13/10, last year was end of September.

• Options

Bigeater - I'm the same. I put my name in the ballot after watching it on tv while at Butlins recovering from this year's Manchester Marathon (I live in Poole - had to cheer on our man Steve Way!) and got caught up in the atmosphere. Then a few weeks later when I was reading various race reports, I had second thoughts - it sounds like the most colossal amount of people and noise, and I can't imagine running in all that. So sod's law, this is the year I'll get an acceptance magazine through my door for London image. I feel though that if I've been lucky enough to get a spot on the ballot then I'd be a fool not to take it up and just do it for the atmosphere and the day and chase the sub-4 at a different race. We'll see soon enough - I agree though - 13th Oct is later than normal - I'm sure I found out at the end of September last year too.

• Options
    AnimalMagic wrote (see)

I didnt realise Manchester would defer for free, i thought it was £10 last year but maybe that was closer to the race date.  I am also in the London ballot (who isnt!) but will be entering Manchester when i get knocked back.

Robin - I emailed Arley hall yesterday and got a reply today saying that no signed contract has yet been received (back from MyTriathlon) and the deadline for that was the 19th September.  So its not looking good for it to be on.  I will contact them again next week and see if there is any change to the situation and let you know.

John

John - I'd already done the same and got the same reply, however I've had an additional reply this morning to say that the race is going ahead. Presumably the contract has now been signed, coins put in the meter etc. Barring an act of god we should be OK, so I'm feeling a little better

I guess they'd already got the t-shirts etc in place from earlier in the year

My brother is doing the Royal Parks HM in a few weeks, I'd fancy that next year but the London Marathon has never appealed. I can see the attraction of an internationally recognised race and to be able to run before such large crowds and all the famous landmarks but it seems to have become a spectacle as much as an event

They do seem determined to keep the "mid life crisis" brigade from running so for overweight 40 year olds like myself, unless you get a charity place then I'd be unlikely to feature

Manchester on the other hand, I was home and in the bath with a beer, within an hour of finishing last time and I know the course, see many old friends, landmarks etc on the way round. I guess it's not a bad old substitute image

• Options

Robin I've been lucky enough to have done London a few times and the atmosphere is worth it. Just the first couple of miles are normally like trying to drive on the M25 as people who are to far forward sort themselves up. It's worth it but so's manchester.

Did royal park's the other year nice tidy little race and worth the train fare if you fancy it. Normally one or two places come up for grab's on here if you keep a eye on the new threads if you fancy it.  

• Options

Robin - I also received an email from a guy named Barry this morning saying the race was going ahead.  I may well run this one now, it just means cutting my current training plan 2 weeks short so my taper would start after the Rivington Pike half next Saturday.  I may then also throw in the Conwy half at the end of November just to give me some focus for the last month before i go away.  Ill try and sell my Lancaster place for a cut price i think.

• Options
    AnimalMagic wrote (see)

Robin - I also received an email from a guy named Barry this morning saying the race was going ahead.  I may well run this one now, it just means cutting my current training plan 2 weeks short so my taper would start after the Rivington Pike half next Saturday.  I may then also throw in the Conwy half at the end of November just to give me some focus for the last month before i go away.  Ill try and sell my Lancaster place for a cut price i think.

Sounded like quite a picturesque race course last year, but I think it's similar to Capesthorne in that it's not chipped despite the price and it looks like the race packs are being done online with your race number picked up on the day rather than posting it out. Not too bothered about this, just looking forward to doing a race having pounded the streets for the last 6 months since the marathon. Would be a good indicator of where I'm at based on previous HM times before I start thinking about Manchester

Cake- You're right about London, I'm not much of a traveller TBH and I think that clouds my opinion at times, to be able to lay claim to having run London puts you up there really,especially given how hard it is to get a place

• Options

London’s no different to a 100 other marathon’s out there just people know it exists. It’s the distance you respect not the location.

If you want a nice hilly one mind you I’m obligated by friendship as well as the fact it’s a fantastic weekend away to point out Giant’s head Marathon down in Dorset is hilly hard and has vodka shot’s on the feed station. image Been running for the last two years and becoming something special a few regular post’s in the club house have organised it. image