Options

My #asics262 Journey to Paris: Sub 4 James

Comments

• Options

Thanks for all your comments.

It was not completely off road Stewart. I would say about 40/60 trail,tarmac split. The bit that was off road was grim and got worst each of the 4 laps.

Seren, let's see how a few more of the long runs feel. Have a 15m off road this weekend which should be a good indication of how the body is coping with the increased intensity.

Cheers Ashley! Bit of sunshine obviously worked wonders.

Cycle tomorrow. Have spent the afternoon deep cleaning the CX bike that I use on a daily basis. The grime that I have left on the patio did not go down well! Took a lot of scrubbing to get it back to health.

• Options

Ruth, thanks for the info will try the race plan on Sunday's run. 15m will be a good distance to see how this could impact my performance. Last time I ran 15miles I had nothing left in the tank by the end. I'm hoping 5 weeks training and a better race plan would help me out.  I love malt loaf so more than happy to give this a go. Great info about the bars. Had a banana late on during the bike stage of a triathlon last summer, nearly ended my race early as it felt like a brick sitting in my stomach. You live and learn.

• Options

Hello James, as promised (threatened!) I have slightly adjusted your paces for the next few weeks. Please keep me informed of how this feels.

Ever cautious (!) I've based these on a slightly slower time than your brand new 44.02 PB... since your watch recorded 6.1 miles. So I've adjusted for an additional 0.1 of a mile which makes it 45.03. This is very unkind of me, and I'm no way suggesting you should consider 45.03 your PB (especially since it was partially off-road!) but just want to err on side of caution with pace guidelines. So here they are:

PACE REVIEW

Training pace guidelines

Very Easy                    9.15-10.00 Should feel as if you could do this all day. Effortless!
    Easy                             8.15-9.15 Should feel comfortable. Can chat quite easily.
    Steady                          7.40-8.10 Still comfortable but slightly more breathless and less chatty!
    Threshold pace           7.20-7.30 Challenging but controlled effort. Can get short phrases out. Breathing should be hard but controlled, not ragged
    Speedwork                  6.10-7.00 min mile depending on length of rep. Tough. One-word answers only!
    Current HMP               8.05
    Current 10k pace        7.15
    Current 5km pace       7.07 (predicted from new PB: 6.59)
    Current 1 mile pace    (predicted from new PB: 6.15 – giving speedwork guideline of 6.10-7 min miling.)

The only way this affects this week's training is that you might want to try a slightly faster pace for the HMP section in Friday's run. I've recommended trying 7.45. Have a good week - and look forward to hearing how Sunday goes with the fuelling advice from Ruth.

WEEK FIVE (w/c 13 Jan) (approx 32M) 
    Mon CYCLE
    Tue 5M of 1M jog, then 6-8 x 400m a little slower than mile pace (approx. (1.35-1.40 per rep) with 2 min jog recoveries, then 1M jog

Wed 6M easy

Thu CYCLE OR REST

Fri 6M of 1M jog, then 4M at half-marathon pace then 1M jog TRY AROUND 7.45 PACE
    Sat REST

Sun 15M very easy (off road, if possible)

• Options

Thanks for this Sam... And yes, it is very unkind of you. Ha. At least I was honest! I am happy to go with your caution... and wisdom!image

Looking at the new pace guideline, I think the threshold pace seems more inline with how I currently feel during those types of sessions. I upped the pace on Sunday because I felt too comfortable having a conversation with a fellow runner around the 5m mark. The fast finish did leave me being only able to give one word answers!

Looking forward to Sunday. Keen to try out Ruth's advice and sees how it leaves me feeling. Will be better prepared with appropriate shoes, unlike yesterday.

Good stretch out on the bike this morning. Today's cycling will probably rack up near 23 miles, 13 this morning and 10 this evening. Is it ok to be split like this?

• Options

Great - well keep me posted on how the new paces feel, in relation to the 'descriptors' they pertain to.

Yes, fine for the cycling to be spread out across two rides. And it's still far enough to be a useful stimulus.

Hope you have a good week!

• Options

Sam...with these new paces.  what marathon time are they now in relation to roughly......

• Options

Going well James great news re PB. See you in a couple of weeks

• Options

15 mile long run.. gulp!!  I'll be giving it a go on sunday..  and then be hobbling for rest of week

• Options

Brutal interval session this morning.

Tue 5M of 1M jog, then 6-8 x 400m a little slower than mile pace (approx. (1.35-1.40 per rep) with 2 min jog recoveries, then 1M jog

Splits:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/430026167

Did anyone else run intervals this mooring? Ashley, by a quick glance at garmin you may have done?

Hi Sarah, all seems to be holding together at the moment. Touch wood. Will be good to catch up week after next. Couple of things to chat about. 

J

• Options

hi james

well done on intervals, looks hard work!

I have never done intervals before unless they were a mile long, now I have mastery over my garmin I'll give them a go on weds. Guessing if it hurts must be good for you !!

• Options

those splits look brilliant James.starting off cautiously and then getting right into it......I am impressed by the speed as well.......

I had a wet torch run last night.the route of a great summer race with lots of uphill ( and downhill) in it......over a 7 mile scenic drive route......tough run but really enjoyed it....

rest day today so just the 2 miles this morning with son

• Options

Morning!

James, I did that session last night and found it tough in the rain.  It's the kind of session I would love to be on a track for!  I ended up cutting the last slow mile way down as I was drenched.  My calves are def feeling the intervals, they're not used to working so hard.  I'm a heel striker until i'm moving quicker!

Seren, like the sound of getting out with a torch on a sccenic route though not sure I'd enjoy it by myself.

• Options

Many thanks Seren, the last 400m was tough. Tried to go for it as much as I could considering it was the 8th rep of 8! I haven't ever kept to a training plan as stringently as this. It works. I am getting gradually faster, the endurance dis building from the lsr. Sunday's 15m should be a good indicator. I just hope a crazy week at work doesn't leave me exhausted. I'm working on Saturday this week also, 6 out of 7image

I haven't taken my head torch out for a while. Nearly got attacked by a dog in the woods, last time I went running at night.

• Options

Hi Sophie,

I agree, track runs for intervals would be ideal. It is harder getting on the track at 6am than later in the day. The intervals training is def making a big dif. I like it in a torturous kind of way. I know some people enjoy running in the rain, I am in your camp though. Not a fan!

J

• Options

A bit of torture's always good for the soul!

• Options

Evening,

today's splits:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/430509774

Maintained a steady pace of 8:38 for the 6m. Was a good way of stretching out the legs after yesterday's exertions!

• Options
    I love that you describe my session as brutal image
  • Options

Well done on ur intervals, and loads of well done for your speedy run tonight - my energy lacking toay.

I did 6x4mins with 1 min recovery at running club - at 10km to 10mile pace (so around 7.30-7.45mins/mile speed). Felt good, there are loads of fast whippets though who end up miles ahead! Did body balence at gym this morning and had a 6.5 mile easy run home tonight. This was not so fun, as I needed the loo. Fortunately my superior knowledge of London wetherspoon pubs paid off. Then I kept getting caught at traffic lights so it was very slow but we can't have good runs all the time I guess.

Seren - I'm too scared to go out running alone in East London, too many hoodies and urban foxes for my liking!

Ruffles - hope ur house coming along. I;ve lived in my flat for over 1.5 years and still have sheets for curtains! Best to do it all before you move in.

James - enjoy ur restday or cycle. I'm also planning on 15 miles on Sunday but will be up in Yorks so will have to find a decent route.

• Options

Morning,

Rest rather than cycle today. Shame seeings the weather has turned out half decent but now at school and bikeless. 

Sam - I think brutal is a very apt term for that interval session. May have been a bit ambitious to go straight for the 8 reps rather than 6. Andrea's words of wisdom were 'if it hurts, it works!'. I think 15m off-road could be awarded a similar tagline on Sunday.

Chrissi - Good pace for your run. I ran in the morning, I am hopeless at anytime after midday. Getting caught out mid run is my pet hate, bit easy for boys than girls though! Maybe not so in central London, could end up with a fine! How was the race last weekend? Did the cake live up to expectations? Are you going to try road or off road on Sunday?

15M Sunday is getting closer... Need to sort the gels out. 

• Options

Well, hopefully if you pace it right, the 15 miler won't hurt too much.  Just a bit of effort required over the last few miles as the legs get used to the time on feet. 

Interested to know if you have a good 15 mile off road route.  I have my first 20 miler of the yr planned for Sunday!

• Options

Andrea - I have a loop up to Downe, Keston, then Hayes Common back up towards Layhams road. That is the longest off road I have down and it comes in around 13miles.

You can go up to Biggen Hill after Hayes Common, then back down towards Addington passed the White Bear. That would add in a good 7 miles. I cycled it the other week and it was really muddy. May have dried out a bit since then. 

• Options

Going to test out the adjusted hm pace tomorrow. Sam has suggested 7:45mm. Fingers crossed. The session will be 1m warm up then 4m at 7:45mm and 1m cool down.

• Options

James

Can you  post a record of all timing of food and type of food eaten  on Sunday from when you get up until 3 hours  after you finish your 15miler?

Enjoy it or at least most of it!

• Options

morning team,

this morning's 6m was pretty strenuous thanks to Sam's new pace setting. The run consisted of 1m warm up, 4m at 7:45mm and a 1m cool down. Think I would have breezed this on the previous 8:05mm pace. There was a lot of adjusting of pace during the 4m interval, weather did not help, neither did the huge puddles and apparently blind drivers going through them at top speed. My kit is still drying on the radiator 5 hours later.

The splits will be loaded up later. Overall the pace was around 8:00mm but with the middle 4m interval at around 7:40/7:45mm. That is an estimation, will probably find I am being a bit over optimistic!

Sun is out now though!

• Options

Ruth, will do. Went to stock up on a few Powergels last night. Picked up a couple of caffeinated ones for the 2hr mark. I am sure I'll still be out on the Downs at that time!

Will keep the food diary as requested.

I am genuinely looking forward to it!

• Options

great effort on the speedy run this morning James!  You're posting some great times - looks like you are well on track.    

• Options

cracking run James.impressive in this weather...........I was soaked on my long run which was only 10 miles as on a cutback week image