Options

My #asics262 Journey to Paris: Sub 4 James

Comments

• Options

great intervals james, good luck and  hopefully a pb for the weekendimage

managed 5 miles fast today @ 7:30 m/m, was really happy as felt easier than expected, think the long runs are paying off

• Options

Cheers Ashley, I would love a PB this weekend! Fingers crossed. Will be very dependent on how waterlogged parts of the course are. It is on tarmac, track and a small bit on park path. The park path was under water last week!

The long runs do make an obvious difference. 5m @ 7:30, you've got to be pleased with that!

• Options
    Adrian Litster 2 wrote (see)

Hi all, my first marathon, started myasics plan back in september now 285 miles in, have a few thoughts;

my plan has only four runs above half marathon and only one at twenty miles is it right to "blag" the last six?

nearly 300 miles and no weight loss, appreciate knowing what everyone is eating

I'm terrible at speed work but found lung-bursting bike hill climbs help achieve a PB at half marathon, is this a good alternative?

Why don't you post some details of your honest eating and if can portion sizes (give me your worst days and an example of your best days eating) and perhaps I could help??

• Options

Evening,

after having racked up a few miles on the bike today i'll post the link. The first is the proper morning cycle, the second is the return journey but had a good journey.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/427239982

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/427239959

How's everyones training going this week? Is anybody following my plan exactly? If so how are you feeling?

J

• Options

Hi James

Your 130g muesli portion is large. Roughly if a fruit based muesli then with milk your portion is probably near 700kcal and if nut based around 800kcal. A sachet of individual porridge is around 30g so if you put 4 sachet of porridge into the bowl  (to make up to your 130g portion) you may struggle to eat this. Many muesli brands are very healthy but very high in calories so as I have suggested increasing calories elsewhere it may be useful to drop this down to around 90g - would this be ok? Just trying to move calories around. image

• Options

I posted the below on Isobels thread so thought I would cut and paste onto yours also..

Lots of queries regarding gels so thought I would post further information on the different gels . There are other options for sugar during a race when not wishing to use gels  ! Sugary sweets is the next most popular and can work just as well.

So what type of gel??...well many are much the same and most often it is the taste which dictates which one you those  but there are 4 main differences (even within same brands):

1. How much carbs is in the gel? Some gels have more carbs per gel so this might suit those that would rather take more carbs in one go rather than taking a gel more regularly. However some may find the higher carb content and hence higher sugar content more difficult on the tummy.
    2. Is it an isotonic gel? This is  one with water already mixed within the gel and hence you don’t need to drink with it to maximise its absorption, these gels are described as something between a drink and a gel but they will also be heavier to carry (as have more water in them).
    3. An energy gel: a thicker consistency /more concentrated in mouth & you need to drink with this; around 150ml (plastic cup full) or more of water with it.
    4. Caffeine or no caffeine? If you are going to use caffeine... how are you going to mix this up, so you do not have too much caffeine which may actually spoil your race from stomach problems  or just making you feel “odd”. Most, if not every brand of gel, does a caffeine gel and the exact same gel but without the caffeine. However the decision if using caffeine is how much you need to use to have a good effect. These gels range usually between 30-50mg of caffeine but some used more heavily in cycling have 100mg per gel (CNP cola gels, these may be useful for those that what a bigger boost but you may only use say 1-2 of these in the race and use other non-caffeine gels for the rest of the race).

For those that have not yet figured out mid-race fuelling plan then as a suggested start guideline can I suggest you aim for 30-60grames of carbs per hour without caffeine.

For those wishing to use caffeine gels suggest no more than 3 x your body weight ( if you weight 75kg then aim to take on no more than 225mg  overall).

There are lots of other gels but I have just picked out three brands which always appear to most common but others do the job.

• Powerbar:Powergel and powergel fruit (some real fruit juice added) with 26/27grams of carb per gel but need to drink with this, no caffeine in these.
    • If you want one with lighter consistency then powergel hydro also 26g of carbs but no water needed but also has 50mg of caffeine.
    • Or as an alternative to a gel powerbar do the powerbar shots (sweets with 5 g of carb per sweet and these have caffeine in them). These sweet suits those that like to drip feed their fuel in the race (so rather than consuming a gel 2 per hour you are taking a sweet every 10minutes or so. A portion of these also have 75mg of caffeine.
    •  Or there is science in sport brand: GO gels (isotonic ):  with 20g of carb per gel, no water need with these  or can but the same gel with 75mg of caffeine per gel and can buy with or without caffeine (50mg  caffeine per gel).

Or Highfive: Isogel (23g of carbs with or without 30mg of caffeine) or high five energy gels with or without caffeine (also 30mg of caffeine called energy gel plus) and same carb 23g but the energy gels you need to drink with as thicker consistency.

Still have not figured out how to do tables ...

• Options

Continued from above...

If using jelly sweets: regular jelly babies have around 4g per sweet and giant jelly beans around 4.5g per sweet and smaller jelly beans  just over  1g per sweet. You are still aiming for 30-60g per hour (note some can manage on less than this – around 25g per hour) but as a start aim for around 50g.

• Options

Thanks for the info Ruth McKean, pricelessimage

• Options

Great info Ruth.

I will reduce the muesli portion size. I have been snacking on the bagels and fruit during the day. Yogurt has not been so easy as I never seem to be near a fridge at a convenient time. Will preserve!

Energy gels - last year when I was training for the triathlon I used gels frequently on the bike, not so much on the runs. For the last year or so I have used Powerbar gels, they seem to sit well and give the energy that I needed. As a rule of thumb I had used them after about 1hr of cycling or running and then every 30mins after that. On my long runs at the moment I use one after about 75mins, this then keeps me going until the end of the run. At the moment that is 13miles. I have also found that the solid Powerbar sit well on the stomach both during running and cycling.

Shall I stick with this?

• Options

imageSunshine! Need I say more.

Easy run this morning. Alternated over 5m between 9:30mm and 8:30mm. Felt good, amazing sunrise from the top of Brockwell Park looking over London! Will post the garmin splits this evening.

Rest day tomorrow and then Bromley 10K race on Sunday. Really looking forward to it.

Have an amazing day peopleimage

• Options

Well done on another great week James and god luck for Sunday.  I have an interval session tonight and then a long run on Sunday.  At least the weather looks a but more appealing!

I might have to go and measure my muesli portions now, Ruth's post re calorie content scared me!!

• Options

Hiya all

James - it's great to follow your blog. It makes me get out and do my runs when I;ve seen that you've done yours! very encouraging, thank you. Good luck in your 10km. Are you going to try and pb?

Hope all doing well. Had a good week of training and can't believe that the first four weeks are nearly over! I'm doing the Rough and Tumble 10 mile this weekend with the brother-in-law in Marlborough. As I normally run on flat towpaths the epic hills in this should be a challenge!! Apparently there is lots of cake at the end, so it's my type of run! Will try to do Swindon parkrun too on Saturday for a gentle trot around.

I;ve also entered the Kingston/WholeFoods breakfast run in March that is 16 miles and the Surrey Spitfire 20 as well as the Surrey half marathon. Malcs is doing the Spitfire 20. James/Sophie - have you gt any other races booked in?

Chrissi

• Options

Thank you Sophie - Tell me about the muesli portions! I thought I had measured it wrong when I put out 90g this morning. My skewed sense of portion size must be one of the things that makes me hold onto weight! It is all a learning experience.

Hi Chrissi, thank you. I enjoy writing this blog, it is great to know that it helps get others out and about. There is nowhere to hide from run shirking here, it is a great motivator. The training so far has been so rewarding. Having the expertise from Sam, Ruth, the Asics team and all the forumites has been a wonderful experience win itself. I gain with confidence each run that the Sub 4 is doable. 

Looking forward to Sunday. Would love to think I could PB but don't want to count my chickens. It is fairly flat but the condition of the course will play a big part. If the rain holds off for the next couple of days, that would be a huge benefit.

Your race this weekend sounds great, right up my street. I love the idea of running hills, when running them I am not sure I always feel the same way! Cake at the end is a winner (if your not on portion control).

I am racing the HM Race you Pace at the end of Feb with Malcs. It is at Dorney, flat a as a pancake, probably not the most scenic course I have ever run but it is fast. Would like to squeeze something in in March, will chat with Sam. Is the WholeFoods a women only race? 

Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how it goes. I am sure I will see it on Twitter.image

• Options

hahah, yes there are some good photos of the hills we have to climb on Sunday so I think I'll take my phone when I'm at top/bottom of the summit.

It's the mixed run I'm doing -my (male) colleague is doing too. Think there will be some great food afterwards. This is becoming a theme with me!

http://humanrace.co.uk/events/running/breakfast-run

Good luck with the 10km and as you said, no doubt I'll see on twitter/forum how yuo get on!

• Options

Good luck with the racing Chrissi. I'm doing James' Tues interval sessoon tonight and then a 12 miler on Sun.  As it looks nice tomorrow I might also get out on my bike for a spin.  Although that may be scuppered by having to choose flooring/tiling for the new house and gritting the walls for plastering..have to move into it next week and it looks like it'll still be a proper building site! The OH thinks am running to shirk house duties!

• Options

Sophie - we all know you are running to shirk house duties! I would.

• Options

Evening all,

today's splits:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/427661417 

couldn't get a great rhythm today, bit up and down. Felt good though.

J

• Options

Good luck for your race tomorrow James, hope it's not too wet underfoot. Today was such a beautiful morning, I decided to forget my plan and just go for a long (12m) run on the Ridgeway. Was running really well for the first 6 miles, it was only when I turned around I realised it was because I'd been wind assisted, so the way back was tough! The great thing about running on undulating trails, is that whilst times are slow, it always seems easier next time I run on the roadimage

• Options

Evening Mc Hilly,

Sounds like a great run you squeezed in today. I love the trails, have a 15miler set up for next weekend. Really looking forward to it. The wind assisted running has been interesting over the last few weeks, it's a game of two halves! There & Back.

Ready for tomorrow, good to take a test today and enjoy some family time after a hectic week.

• Options

Afternoon team,

had a good run this morning. It was so much muddier than I had thought, should have taken the trail shoes instead of ruining my lovely Asics! Small group, would say around 300. Pretty chilly but the sun was shining so no complaints from me. According to my gramin the course was 0.08m short, they did have to move one corner slightly because the mud got so bad, I am guessing this account for the shortfall. So, here are the splits. I did a 1m warm up and a 0.5m cool down.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/428671975

Really happy with a new pb. Would love to race a road 10k again sometime soon. See if I can better this. My previous pb was 45.46, ran it today in 44.02.

Happy Days, now to do some house work as Mrs C has taken the boys to Brighton for the night. The perils of shirking Sunday morning duties to race!

Jimage

• Options

brilliant result saying it wasn't on road.....well done..image

I did the muddiest cross country that I have ever done.......was all abit in a rush as i miscalculated how far away it was and so it took a while to cycle the 16.5 miles there mainly uphill......

loved the race in the end when i got going.....but the cycle home which should have been easy turned into a cold long ride and the wind had got stronger and stronger into my face........

still fed and bathed now and can rest image

• Options

Contrats on your PBimage

• Options

Thank you Mc Hilly and Seren! I am impressed you squeezed a cycle in before and after Seren. You love to make it even harder for yourself!

• Options

Week 5 training details below:

WEEK FIVE (w/c 13 Jan) (approx 32M) 

Mon CYCLE

Tue 5M of 1M jog, then 6-8 x 400m a little slower than mile pace (approx. (1.35-1.40 per rep) with 2 min jog recoveries, then 1M jog

Wed 6M easy

Thu CYCLE OR REST 

Fri 6M of 1M jog, then 4M at half-marathon pace then 1M jog

Sat REST

Sun 15M very easy (off road if possible)

• Options

looks good James image

• Options
    imageJames Carroll 78 wrote (see)

Great info Ruth.

I will reduce the muesli portion size. I have been snacking on the bagels and fruit during the day. Yogurt has not been so easy as I never seem to be near a fridge at a convenient time. Will preserve!

Energy gels - last year when I was training for the triathlon I used gels frequently on the bike, not so much on the runs. For the last year or so I have used Powerbar gels, they seem to sit well and give the energy that I needed. As a rule of thumb I had used them after about 1hr of cycling or running and then every 30mins after that. On my long runs at the moment I use one after about 75mins, this then keeps me going until the end of the run. At the moment that is 13miles. I have also found that the solid Powerbar sit well on the stomach both during running and cycling.

Shall I stick with this?

• Could you change the yoghurt to  a small longlife yahoo milkshake or other longlife similar drink (you can buy these in small 200ml drinks? ) or have a slice of malt loaf instead?
    • Race plan: Can I suggest you have try the following plan: first gel at 45 minutes, then next one at 90minutes then reduce to having one every 30-35minutes.If you wish you could start using caffeine  containing gel from 2 hours onwards point (the caffeine is optional).
    • The bars are better when used on a bike (and first part of the bike as this means longer before you run ) but suggest not to use during marathon. The reason being is that I want blood to be going to working muscles not digesting blood in your gut. What do you think of this plan, we would use in a long run and  your 20mile race to see if there would be a problem.  This is up for discussion of course!!!

ashley woolgrove wrote (see)

Thanks for the info Ruth McKean, pricelessimage

Thanks!

• Options

Awesome time for an off-road 10k, well done

• Options

4 hr is looking too easy a target for you....I'm sure they will have to start adjusting this if you feel strong on your longer runs over the next few weeks.you are flying........my road Pb is nearer 50

• Options

whoooooaaaa   great time for 10k!!!!