Options

My #asics262 Journey to Paris: Sub 4 James

Comments

• Options

Decided to do 15 miles today instead of tomorow , did out and back route and only had a tiny bit of lucozade sport left( not through choice ) wich I decided to have at half way.Usually take gels and sometimes a drink .As I can't do as much running during the week as I like, decided to go out at sub 4 pace. At halfway speeded up without realising but felt comfortable untill finish. Was dreading this run as 15 miles sounds so long but the training must be doing some good and so happy to get through this.15.01 @8.43m/m.  Average pace lowered as I speeded up last mile.

Good luck everyone going long this weekendimage

• Options
    Excellent run James, great pace. I also went long today, the Anglesey CTS "half" marathon, 15.5 mile trail run, over 2000ft climbing including mountains and mud baths, at just over 4h am hoping to do marathon faster image. Not sure how trail running fits with any training plan I've read, but must help with endurance and is excellent fun!
  • Options
    Meant to say great run Ashley image
  • Options

Good work Ashley, that is a great pace for the long run! I don't think I am going to get anywhere close to that off road tomorrow. I am seriously going my training pays dividends like yours! Running during the week is always tricky, since my children have were born i've had to set my alarm for 5am 6 times a week! Only way I can squeeze the training in!

Mc Hilly - I had registered for the Sussex CTS Half but have had to drop out because it is too close to Paris. It id def something I am interested in doing when April had passed. May need to wait till the next season. I love trail running, can be seriously testing and tends to leave me more exhausted than most other sessions!

• Options

Today's splits for the 15m cross country that turned into 17.5 because I don't now my way home and tried an untested short cut!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/432340360

Strangely I feel ok. The mud...oh the mud. Wearing it like a tattoo on various parts of my body that I keep finding!

• Options

brilliant running for off road James....its looking good at the moment.

I took advantage of the unusual beautiful sunny day and got a fast 100 miles done on the bike.fast for me.....legs knackered now

tomorrows 6 am run is going to be interesting image

• Options

Thanks Seren, was pretty tough today but feel really pleased with the end result! 

Impressive distance on the bike, I am sure you felt it for the rest of the day! I can imagine it will be like running in lead boots tomorrow!

• Options

WK6 Plan - these times haven't been adjusted to new paces, I am sure Sam will soon see to that!

WEEK SIX (w/c 20 Jan) (approx 34M)

Mon CYCLE

Tue 7M of 1M jog, then 4 x 1 mile at 10km pace (approx. 7.20) with 400m in 3 mins jog recoveries, then 1M jog

Wed CYCLE OR REST

Thu 5M easy

Fri REST

Sat TRAINING DAY (possibly with parkrun) (6M)

Sun 16M on level ground with first half slower than second half (guideline 9.45/9.15)

• Options

Some long and hilly runs there mc hilly and james , Good work!!

• Options

Hi Ruth,

firstly, the gel plan worked wonders. Took the first at 45min, then 1.15 with the last being popped at 1:45. Needed an additional one around mile 17 but unfortunately didn't have it as I wasn't planning on being out for that long!

Nutrition for the day -

Breakfast 7:00am - 2 pieces of brown toast with marmite and peanut butter + cup of black coffee/one sugar.

Ran from 9:30 till 12:15ish

600ml of USN recovery drink, felt I needed it and had used this previously during training + one banana

1:00 - Bowl of parsnip soup, 2 Ryvita, bowl of blueberry yoghurt + an apple.

Dinner 7:00pm - Rigatoni with prawns, pepper and black cabbage + green salad.

Not sure whether you wanted dinner but thought I'd throw it in for good measure.

J

• Options

Great run James

I spent the weekend moving house and sorting out the new one which felt like a hugh gym session.  Ran 14m yest at 8.55 pace.  Def a bit faster than I should be but I felt like I needed a good session after the busy weekend.

Hope this week's training goes well!

• Options

Wow, can I just say, you are all doing some fantastic training guys! You are well ahead of the game for spring marathons. In a couple of weeks time, I'll be doing my 'Meet the Experts' appearance at the VLM Charity Day and I can assure you that even by then there will be many runners who have barely got to double figures with their long runs yet but still hoping to run sub 4 or so! keep up the good work.

Yes, James, you guessed it - have adjusted the paces for this week according to the new guidelines. I've also made a few changes to this, and the following weeks. Given that you did 17.5 miles long run yesterday, I've reduced the long run this week (but increased the 'quality') and then increased the one the following week to 18 miles. Changed schedule as follows:

WEEK SIX (w/c 20 Jan) (approx 35M)

Mon Did an easy run 5 miles
    Tue CYCLE OR REST (have swapped Tues/Weds to give more recovery from epic long run on Sunday before interval session)
    Wed 7M of 1M jog, then 4 x 1 mile at 10km pace (approx. 7.15) with 400m in 3 mins jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Thu 5M easy
    Fri REST
    Sat TRAINING DAY (including 3 miles of effort) (6M)
    Sun Progression run 12 miles: 4 miles at 9.30, 4 miles at 9.10, 4 miles at 8.45 on level ground.

WEEK SEVEN w/c 27 Jan (approx 37M)
    Mon CYCLE
    Tue 6M of 1M jog, then 12 x 200m (or 45 secs if no track access) close to mile pace (each rep in approx 44-48 secs), with 200m in 90 second jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 6M easy 
    Thu CYCLE OR REST
    Fri 7M of 1M jog, then 5M just above marathon pace (try 8.40 pace) then 1M jog
    Sat REST
    Sun 18M easy (approx 9:15 pace)

WEEK EIGHT (approx 26M) 

Mon CYCLE
    Tue 7M of 1M jog, then 6 x 800m a little faster than 10k pace (approx 3.25-3.35 per rep) with 2 min jog recoveries then 1M jog
    Wed REST
    Thu 7M: 2M easy, 3M at (7.20-7.30) threshold pace, 2 M easy
    Fri Rest
    Sat 4M easy
    Sun 8M VERY EASY OFF ROAD

• Options

Seren, sorry, I forgot that you asked a question a while back about James's revised paces and the marathon goal time they pertained to. Well, I guess I'm working with around 3.50 goal time. Obviously, his 10k time predicts a quicker result than this but much as these sort of progress markers are useful, I would never use them in isolation to 'upgrade' someone's goal. It's just part of the bigger picture. James has the half mara in week 9, which will be a stronger marker of progress and I might revise my opinion on a goal time after that. Hope that helps! V impressed with your 100 miles on the bike. 

I've been out of action for a whole week with bursa irritation at the ischial tuberosity (quite literally, a pain in the ass!). But have got all clear this morning for cross training to begin so will be cycling and swimming this week and hoping that I've nipped it in the bud.

• Options

Many thanks for he revised plan Sam. Will be on the bike tomorrow instead of today. The plans have been going really well and the adjusted paces seem to add the extra level of challenge. The nutrition race plan that Ruth post last week def had an impact for yesterday's run. There was enough fuel to keep going and this was a concern I had based on other lungs runs.

I am happy not to see another long off road run in the coming weeks. Might give the ground a bit of time to dry out!

Looking forward to another week and some 'quality' mileageimage

• Options

Good pace Sophie, I struggled to get anywhere near my road pace yesterday, on any part of the run. That was to be expected.

Moving house is a stressful and knackering experience, well done on getting through it! Hopefully you all sorted now.

• Options

This morning's cycle worked wonders on the legs. I admit it, Sam definitely knows best!

Adrian, keep cracking on with the long runs and I am sure you will reach that sub 4. I am similar to you, my second half of my runs is always much stronger than the start. It doesn't seem to matter what the distance is. Might be a mental thing!

I can remember one of the other Asics team members talking about Longleat, it may have been Gareth.

• Options

Morning!  I think with LSRs it always takes a while to settle into a pace, I always feel better after a few miles, probably because I know I'm getting nearer the end! 

Looking forward to the lovely interval session tonight!

• Options

Moring Sophie,

on recommendation my intervals are now tomorrow. We can compare aches and pains same time tomorrow!

• Options

Some intervals on the cards tomorrow, over 7m this time round. Looking forward to it!

• Options

Some great runs on here. Just got back from San Francisco, did a long run around the bay and over the Golden Gate Bridge. Probably the best place I've ever run. 100's of runners and cyclists, miles of great running, some awesome hills and no reason to ever cross a road.

Felt a little bit stiff today, so went to work with my new foam roller. Half an hour of pain, but feel good now.

Anyone else using foam rollers (tips welcome) or having regular massages in the lead up to the marathon?

• Options

Morning!

James did you do your intervals this morning?  I did it last night and it was pretty tough but I kind of enjoyed it.  I'm all about no pain no gain!

• Options

James Linney, forgot to say your run sounds fab.  Very jealous!

• Options

Its always great to run somewhere different............I always take my running shoes away with me even if just going for a night......its a great way to explore somewhere 

• Options

Urrgggggghhhh. Intervals were tough this morning. 7m - 1m warm up 4x1m@7:15mm 400m recovery between them. 1m cool down. New pace is great but does hurt a bit more!

Data from this week will be uploaded tonight, I promise!

Sophie, what was your average pace for the miles intervals, 7:15mm was tougher than I thought. Think I may be a bit tired this week.

James, I am jealous. What an incredible place to be able to run! I need a foam roller, my legs feel pretty tight at the moment!

PS. Have had major hard disk failure! Anyone got any good suggestions on getting data back off a mac when the hard disk fails? Gutted, all pics of the boys on it. 

• Options

ha, am glad you found that session tough too! Not sure what exact pace my splits were.  My garmin is so old it doesn't tell me that much so I tend to work on perceived effort and keep one eye on the garmin for pace.  A couple of splits were around the 7mm mark but the last one was more 7.30 but then it was up hill.. and into the wind!  It was very tough though.

Maybe I'll put a new garmin on the birthday wishlist so I can get properly statted up!

Seren, I try to take my trainers when am away too.  My OH also hasn't forgiven me for making him run a 10k race on our last day in Vancouver in Sept (or do some training runs while we were there!).

• Options

So, the splits for the very painful 7m interval session this morning:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/434130032

Pretty happy with that. Last mile was @6:59mm!

• Options
    James Carroll 78 wrote (see)

Hi Ruth,

firstly, the gel plan worked wonders. Took the first at 45min, then 1.15 with the last being popped at 1:45. Needed an additional one around mile 17 but unfortunately didn't have it as I wasn't planning on being out for that long!

Nutrition for the day -

Breakfast 7:00am - 2 pieces of brown toast with marmite and peanut butter + cup of black coffee/one sugar.

Ran from 9:30 till 12:15ish

600ml of USN recovery drink, felt I needed it and had used this previously during training + one banana

1:00 - Bowl of parsnip soup, 2 Ryvita, bowl of blueberry yoghurt + an apple.

Dinner 7:00pm - Rigatoni with prawns, pepper and black cabbage + green salad.

Not sure whether you wanted dinner but thought I'd throw it in for good measure.

J

Hi James

Think may be better to suggest you have a gel every 35minutes throughout but can discuss this on Saturday.

Think we also need to think about increasing breakfast before marathon.

Recovery started well after this run but not eating from 1-7pm let it down! imageYou need to keep drip feeding your body some carbs and protein over the hours post long runs to aid recovery when in a training block but again lets discuss all on Saturday and I can then post a summary of our wee chat!!

Really looking forward to meeting you.

• Options

12 mile progression run for the weekend, happy with that. Does feel like I'm skiving a little though as I was talking myself into doing the original 16 miles!